• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logan Review Thread - Go Fuck Yourself out of 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I didn't notice the SlashFilm review at first. Now I just saw that it's David Chen. That dude loving a superhero movie says a lot to me since he usually is downplaying my hype for movies.

Him considering it as a favorite superhero film moves the needle for me and I absolutely am pumped to see this.

But this movie pretty much has nothing in common with The Last of Us in either tone or general narrative framework, from what I understand (people been filling me in on TLOU here). Aside from the fact there's an older bearded dude and a much younger girl, and there's violence involved.

This is video game forum, Bobby you can't keep people from thinking/saying things about comparing this to the TLOU.:p

Jumeira

Banned
Days of Future Past, Deadpool now Logan. X-men has some killer films within its ranks, the best of Marvel, if only they could keep these films consistently great it could be as huge. Still, i much prefer the direction of these films as opposed to Marvel Studios. Hoping for big numbers.

This is video game forum, Bobby you can't keep people from thinking/saying things about comparing this to the TLOU.:p

I'm not trying to keep people from making the comparison, I'm trying to find out how the comparison is being made.

Maybe someone's got a good argument for it, I dunno. I'm not any sort of expert here.

Koshiro

But this movie pretty much has nothing in common with The Last of Us in either tone or general narrative framework, from what I understand (people been filling me in on TLOU here). Aside from the fact there's an older bearded dude and a much younger girl, and there's violence involved.
I've played (to completion) The Last of Us, and just saw this film. I can assure you they have a little more in common than that, definitely more than 'nothing'. It's still it's own thing though, so rest assured there no spoilers in my saying that.

It's a great film in any case, and great sound design at key moments.

Koshiro

For what it's worth btw,I was always kinda 50/50 on that game. I'm not one of the crazy fans comparing it to everything.

Lifeline

I knew the poster looked really familiar

loganposter2.jpg

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
X2 and DoFP are better than Deadpool in my opinion.

Deadpool was sheer fanwank when I saw it. I mean, it's an effective fanwank, but as a person with a casual knowledge of comic books, it was never something I deemed to be head over heels for as a movie.

Well now would you look at that. Top Critics results:

3Thjmmk.png

All Critics results:

Oqkp0E6.png

That 8.2 average.

When has this happened before for an R rated action movie, much less a comic book movie? I think I've seen similar reactions to animated films but not live action.

Well Deadpool was stunning. Had no idea I'd enjoy it as much as I did. Super hyped for this, and I've only ever seen one Wolverine movie.

kswiston

When has this happened before for an R rated action movie, much less a comic book movie? I think I've seen similar reactions to animated films but not live action.

Well Deadpool was stunning. Had no idea I'd enjoy it as much as I did. Super hyped for this, and I've only ever seen one Wolverine movie.

John Wick 2 was in the high 90s for a bit last week. Its review average was never over 8 though.

When has this happened before for an R rated action movie

Fury Road was the most recent, I believe. Granted, that's an unfair comparison, being that it's one of the three best action films ever made.

Days of Future Past had a 91% from all critics with a 7.5 average. Top Critics was a 94% with a 7.7

Not R-Rated, I know, but I think it's the highest rated X-Men movie before this one (so far)

Well now would you look at that. Top Critics results:

3Thjmmk.png

All Critics results:

Oqkp0E6.png

That 8.2 average.

If I've learned anything on the internet about comic book movies is that what professional critics think doesn't matter. What matters is the audience score and that it makes a lot of money and that my close circle of friends liked it.

Dominator

Deadpool was sheer fanwank when I saw it. I mean, it's an effective fanwank, but as a person with a casual knowledge of comic books, it was never something I deemed to be head over heels for as a movie.
I agree completely. Definitely a solid film but not anywhere near the levels that people talk about it.

Ottaro

Forbes said:
To wit, the copious moviegoers who flock to Logan and revel in the genre appropriation would never think to sample the genuine article absent the super-heroic franchise trappings.

That is one hell of a condescending line.

CazTGG

Given how most reviews i've skimmed through talk about how challenging and tough the film is, i'm guessing
Jackman doesn't don the costume, does he
?

MMarston

I've played (to completion) The Last of Us, and just saw this film. I can assure you they have a little more in common than that, definitely more than 'nothing'. It's still it's own thing though, so rest assured there no spoilers in my saying that.

It's a great film in any case, and great sound design at key moments.

We've both seen the movie and I've played the game to the end, so I'm curious about your input on how this is so.

Would you mind PMing me why you think that? That way you won't be inhibited by hiding spoilers. Genuinely curious.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I'm sad.

Grew up with the X-Men in the 90s with the cartoon.

Remember being an awkward pre-teen seeing X-Men on the big screen on my first date ever.

Thought Hugh Jackman was so cool, like Clint Eastwood cool.

Saw how much love and passion he put into the character, how much legitimate care and gratitude he had for embodying a comicbook character, even through some misguided and downright awful features. It felt like he wanted nothing more than to do the character justice, where he could have easily just bailed in danger of the franchise harming his long term chances at more prestigious roles.

It's like your favorite player retiring from your favorite sports team. Hopefully he goes out with a championship.

Prompto

Banned
Consensus is up on RT:

Hugh Jackman makes the most of his final outing as Wolverine with a gritty, nuanced performance in a violent but surprisingly thoughtful superhero action film that defies genre conventions.

Parahan

I have no idea why you would willingly watch any YT reviewers outside of Double Toasted.

Because some people don't have time to watch 30 minute reviews about a 2 hour film. I like those guys but it's more of a discussion and some people want concise reviews.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Its surprising it took this long to make a superhero flick with a true emotional core outside of Unbreakable. This approach is truly ripe, and here for the taking, legitimizing the genre critically beyond action tropes.

MMarston

Because some people don't have time to watch 30 minute reviews about a 2 hour film. I like those guys but it's more of a discussion and some people want concise reviews.
They still have better options.

Like the written ones for example.

People like Jahns and Struckmann have a bad habit of fanboying out and blurt a bunch of vague nothings, be it good or bad reviews.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm not trying to keep people from making the comparison, I'm trying to find out how the comparison is being made.

Maybe someone's got a good argument for it, I dunno. I'm not any sort of expert here.

It's a videogame forum made up mostly of PlayStation fans.

Most haven't seen enough movies to realise The Last of Us was inspired by The Road. They see a gruff bearded man looking after a young girl and automatically think OMG Last of Us!!!

I admit, TLoU was the first thing I thought of when I saw the Logan trailer. But I was aware Logan wasn't inspired by it.

I'm guessing Fox is going to fully invest in the R-rated X-men game so long as this does well at the box office now. It will be interesting to see if Marvel or DC follow suit for smaller budget projects. I mean, you could argue Marvel's Netflix properties are their productions for mature audiences but I feel like we could get some interesting movies out of them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom