• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logan Review Thread - Go Fuck Yourself out of 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theecliff

Banned
huh, colour me surprised. after the disappointing mediocrity of the wolverine i was feeling extra cautious about this, didn't want to buy into the hype.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
huh, colour me surprised. after the disappointing mediocrity of the wolverine i was feeling extra cautious about this, didn't want to buy into the hype.

It follows a perfect upward trend.

Origins = Shit
The Wolverine = Middling
Logan = Good (supposedly)

Okay, let's do the rankings then. I think I'm settled, finally.

10) X-Men Origins: Wolverine
9) X-Men: The Last Stand
8) X-Men: Apocalypse
7) X-Men
6) The Wolverine
5) Deadpool
4) X-Men: First Class
3) X2: X-Men United
2) X-Men: Days of Future Past
1) Logan

To tier them up:

I'm the Best There is, Bub Tier:
Logan
X-Men: Days of Future Past

Gods Among Insects Tier:
X2: X-Men United
X-Men: First Class

Juggernaut sized quality gap

Mr. Laurio, Never Trust a Beautiful Woman Tier:
Deadpool
The Wolverine
X-Men
X-Men Apocalypse

fall from the Statue of Liberty sized gap

You're a Dick Tier
X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Looks about right to me, although I haven't seen Logan yet of course. Might switch X2 and DOFP.

LionPride

Banned
I'll definitely be waiting on a couple reviewers I trust before I find a way to watch it

If folks from DT think it's good, and if Kris and DPalm think it's good, I may see it

I really liked The Wolverine and I think the third act was kind of a lose/lose situation. Most moviegoers expect the third act to play out that way, if it wasn't there I think it'd be criticized even harsher than it already was. A superhero movie with no big fight at the end is a concept that hasn't fully caught on yet.

And First Class would be the best Xmen movie if it wasn't for all that inane shit that doesn't have Magneto, Xavier or Shaw in it. All that inbetween stuff is just bad.

MarveI

I'm very happy for Hugh. That dude is a legend amongst the superhero actors.
Always 100%...never moaning never demanding and even after becoming a big celebrity he never distanced himself from it or saw himself above it. The respect he has for that character 2 decades in is admirable to say the least. And he's not like RDJ where it's all about the money. In fact he took a paycut to make Logan happen the way he and Mangold envisioned it. He is probably my fav superhero actor in terms of his dedication and passion to the genre and role.

Wolverine Origins: Studio interfered
The Wolverine: Mangold wrote his own vision for 2/3rds of the film, last act Fox stepped in
Logan: Mangold and Hugh sacrificed a chunk of their own paycuts and movies budget to make the film they wanted to make.

The formula is obvious. Don't meddle with the directors vision.

TaterTots

Banned
The 3 extra minutes may not be a post credit scene. It could simply be a scene they felt was good enough to put in the movie.

Though I'm hoping its Deadpool and Jackman reprises his role for Deapool 2 in some manner. Like 3-4 scenes would do

Getting great reviews from everywhere. I've never been a fan of wolverine movies but I like to give good movies a try. Might have to go see it.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I wonder if all this talk of Logan being Hugh's final on screen appearance as Wolverine is just a way for him to negotiate a lot more money for another Wolverine movie or a spot in the next X-men film. He's the studio's biggest, most beloved star and he knows they'd be better off with him than without.

It worked for Daniel Craig.

MarveI

I wonder if all this talk of Logan being Hugh's final on screen appearance as Wolverine is just a way for him to negotiate a lot more money for another Wolverine movie or a spot in the next X-men film. He's the studio's biggest, most beloved star and he knows they'd be better off with him than without.

I don't think Hugh is that type of person. Dude is legit up there with Keanu in terms of being one of the nicest people and a man of his word. He even took a paycut just to make their own vision of Logan. Someone who does that wouldn't value money that much to come back from his word and all the work he has put in this film imo.

I don't think Hugh is that type of person. Dude is legit up there with Keanu in terms of being one of the nicest people and a man of his word. He even took a paycut just to make their own vision of Logan. Someone who does that wouldn't value money that much to come back from his word and all the work he has put in this film imo.

Only an Avengers/MCU Crossover can bring him back as Logan now.

If Logan is the critical and commercial hit that Deadpool was (and from all accounts it looks like it will be) then Jackman will have enough pull in hollywood to not only demand whatever he wants for Logan 2, but ALSO get a blank check for any other vanity projects including directing he would like to make on top of that in the bargain.

no way anyone sane turns that down unless they're literally on the verge of leaving the film business completely.

There's no way they made this movie as a negotiation tactic.

MarveI

If Logan is the critical and commercial hit that Deadpool was (and from all accounts it looks like it will be) then Jackman will have enough pull in hollywood to not only demand whatever he wants for Logan 2, but ALSO get a blank check for any other vanity projects including directing he would like to make on top of that in the bargain.

no way anyone sane turns that down unless they're literally on the verge of leaving the film business completely.

Some actors just don't value money as much as others. Nothing to do with leaving the business. Believe it or not some actors do turn stuff like that down. They're the sane ones imo. Hugh stated many times that the role has taken a toll on his body and mind. It's time. 2 decades of playing this intense role. I think he earned that goodbye. And I think we should respect his decision.

Deadpool was a medioce movie imo. Decent at best I'd say. People are really overrating that film by a mile. Logan looks infinitely superior to Deadpool in terms of quality. This isn't directed at you but just the way people bring up Deadpool when it comes to Logan. Read a couple replies saying ''thank you Deadpool'' in regards to Logans R rating but the official word was that Deadpool had NO influence on Logans rating whatsoever. Kinberg said it. Mangold and Hugh mentioned it. The script was written (which showed the rating) before Deadpool even released. Kind of like the Last of Us references. Gets a bit annoying after a while.

I'm just very happy that Hughs last film as Wolverine was worthy of him.

Only an Avengers/MCU Crossover can bring him back as Logan now.

This might be really the only way he'll ever even consider coming back if you watched some of his interviews about it. He said something along the lines of how the suits are the reason this isn't happening and it's a shame, if it was up to him fox, dc, marvel characters would be teaming up going back and forth. Just the way he talked about it all giddy of the possibility makes me think this would be the only way he'll come back.In that interview you could see the disappointment he has never being able to be in an Avengers film and how much he wanted that but couldn't because of studio heads blocking it. I mean Sony is gaining a lot from their teamup with Marvel and I bet everyone would profit even more from it.

To everyone who hasn't watched this yet I'd recommend you watch this interview of Hugh. It's short but enough to show you what kind of a person he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj46BWpxFcA

This is also not the kind of movie you shoehorn Deadpool into.

Since it keeps being compared to this, I'll put it this way: Can you envision a version of "The Dark Knight" that features a quick 2 minute cameo appearance from Booster Gold?

Since it keeps being compared to this, I'll put it this way: Can you envision a version of "The Dark Knight" that features a quick 2 minute cameo appearance from Booster Gold?

Yes, I can. Obviously.
Booster makes everything better.
But I'm glad Mangold didn't have to put up with any of this stuff on Logan.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
There's no way they made this movie as a negotiation tactic.

Dude has been doing it for 20 years, I think he's done. Basically, he gets his great stand alone entry and we call it a day.

I could see a Cameo in Deadpool 2 or other Xmen films, but his days of leading are over.

Blader

Jackman took a pay cut to get this movie cleared for an R rating. If he's angling for more money, he's going at it backwards.

Some actors just don't value money as much as others. Nothing to do with leaving the business. Believe it or not some actors do turn stuff like that down. They're the sane ones imo. Hugh stated many times that the role has taken a toll on his body and mind. It's time. 2 decades of playing this intense role. I think he earned that goodbye. And I think we should respect his decision.

Deadpool was a medioce movie imo. Decent at best I'd say. People are really overrating that film by a mile. Logan looks infinitely superior to Deadpool in terms of quality. This isn't directed at you but just the way people bring up Deadpool when it comes to Logan. Read a couple replies saying ''thank you Deadpool'' in regards to Logans R rating but the official word was that Deadpool had NO influence on Logans rating whatsoever. Kinberg said it. Mangold and Hugh mentioned it. The script was written (which showed the rating) before Deadpool even released. Kind of like the Last of Us references. Gets a bit annoying after a while.

I'm just very happy that Hughs last film as Wolverine was worthy of him.

This might be really the only way he'll ever even consider coming back if you watched some of his interviews about it. He said something along the lines of how the suits are the reason this isn't happening and it's a shame, if it was up to him fox, dc, marvel characters would be teaming up going back and forth. Just the way he talked about it all giddy of the possibility makes me think this would be the only way he'll come back.In that interview you could see the disappointment he has never being able to be in an Avengers film and how much he wanted that but couldn't because of studio heads blocking it. I mean Sony is gaining a lot from their teamup with Marvel and I bet everyone would profit even more from it.

To everyone who hasn't watched this yet I'd recommend you watch this interview of Hugh. It's short but enough to show you what kind of a person he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj46BWpxFcA

You completely missed what I was saying. First, let's talk about Deadpool. How you or I feel about the movie isn't relevant. It was a critical and commercial blockbuster for Fox- easily the most profitable film in the entire catalogue they control from marvel. It even nailed a golden globe nomination. It's success means a lot less studio interference for Logan even IF it already had a script in place.

DC/Warner would kill their own mothers for that kind of film, and if Logan performs at a similar level FOX may be looking at the building blocks for a film universe that's equal to the MCU. Love it or hate them the X-men and FF (LOL!!) Weren't in this category.

They even seem to have this R rated space to themselves, since neither DC nor Marvel has been willing to go that route with their properties. But it doesn't work without Jackman on board. That's billions of dollars in revenue that doesn't happen if he's "done" after this.

If Logan is a "deadpool" tier hit, Fox could literally not afford to let Jackman walk. He'd be too valuable. Even if money wasn't an issue they could and would green light any creative project he wanted to do, whether it's acting in a niche genre film based on his favorite book, or sitting his ass in the directors chair for his own blockbuster. No other studio is going to offer that kind of deal since Logan is a Fox property, and Jackman isn't as valuable on his own.

Those kinds of blank checks aren't unheard of for breakout stars to keep them happy, and unless Jackman is completely done with Hollywood period it's unlikely he'd turn it down.

Yeah, the role takes a toll on the body, but there's nothing that says he has to be shirtless in every damn movie.

I'd bet my account that if Logan does 800 million and generates award nominations or even a win, that Jackman will be doing it again.

Daft_Cat

I'll definitely be waiting on a couple reviewers I trust before I find a way to watch it

If folks from DT think it's good, and if Kris and DPalm think it's good, I may see it

I mean - is this very much not your sort of thing? I love Double Toasted, but I can't imagine avoiding a universally acclaimed, r-rated neo-western (starring the fucking Wolverine, no less) based solely on one or two outlying opinions - regardless of who they belonged to.

Sadist

Sounds great! The name ain't Logan, bub.

After Apocalypse I was a bit weary, but hearing the positive comments will get my butt in the seat.

Loxley

Dat consensus.

7APqXHO.png

I'm so relieved that Jackman is able to send off his Wolverine on a high note.

I wish they were using a better poster. I know there's better ones. The studio made a point to commission them, and they're using the one that just makes me think of this.

hTChQFZ.jpg

LionPride

Banned
I mean - is this very much not your sort of thing? I love Double Toasted, but I can't imagine avoiding a universally acclaimed, r-rated neo-western (starring the fucking Wolverine, no less) based solely on one or two outlying opinions - regardless of who they belonged to.
I trust them and hate the X-Men moviex so...

Double Toasted channel is funny but they're pretty wack reviewers.

i don't look to them for opinions at all, but certainly look forward to seeing them make fun of movies and shit.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
When did GAF turn on Deadpool?

i don't look to them for opinions at all, but certainly look forward to seeing them make fun of movies and shit.

Agreed. I listen to DT and RLM for entertainment. It's why their best reviews are dumb movies like Monster Trucks and Rogue One.

7) X-Men
6) The Wolverine
5) Deadpool
1) Logan

To tier them up:

Logan

Gods Among Insects Tier:

Deadpool
The Wolverine
X-Men
X-Men Apocalypse

You're a Dick Tier

Surprisingly, that's on point for my tastes, with X2 higher in my higher tier. It'll be a real treat if I feel that highly about Logan, too.

How so? They have a ton of experience and get way more in depth and nuanced in their reviews than pretty much any other channel I've seen

What if Will thinks it's shit? lol

Agreed. I listen to DT and RLM for entertainment. It's why their best reviews are dumb movies like Monster Trucks and Rogue One.
No. You need to watch more DT reviews especially when they do indie movies. They get in-depth.

Monocle

7) X-Men
6) The Wolverine
5) Deadpool
1) Logan

To tier them up:

Logan

Gods Among Insects Tier:

Deadpool
The Wolverine
X-Men
X-Men Apocalypse

You're a Dick Tier
That Deadpool placement... It's not giving that movie nearly enough credit to put it on par with Apocalypse and The Wolverine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom