• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logan Review Thread - Go Fuck Yourself out of 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm guessing Fox is going to fully invest in the R-rated X-men game so long as this does well at the box office now. It will be interesting to see if Marvel or DC follow suit for smaller budget projects. I mean, you could argue Marvel's Netflix properties are their productions for mature audiences but I feel like we could get some interesting movies out of them too.

Unfortunately they may miss the point that a good movie is a good movie. The rating isnt indicative of this. Maybe lack of studio meddling.

SRG01

I'm guessing Fox is going to fully invest in the R-rated X-men game so long as this does well at the box office now. It will be interesting to see if Marvel or DC follow suit for smaller budget projects. I mean, you could argue Marvel's Netflix properties are their productions for mature audiences but I feel like we could get some interesting movies out of them too.

I don't think it's so much R-rated but rather the mid-budget nature of R-rated films that are risky for studios -- hence the push for big-budget PG-13 or really small budget films.

Unfortunately they may miss the point that a good movie is a good movie. The rating isnt indicative of this. Maybe lack of studio meddling.

Correct! I doubt WB learns anything from Logan. I'm sure they'll still try to make safe PG-13 rated films with as much as executive meddling as possible.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Mmmmm, taco meat.

Prompto

Banned
I'm still hoping that we get a low-medium budget Hawkguy movie

Starring Ryan Gosling.
ZlgW7nb.gif

Rixxan

I'm sad.

Grew up with the X-Men in the 90s with the cartoon.

Remember being an awkward pre-teen seeing X-Men on the big screen on my first date ever.

Thought Hugh Jackman was so cool, like Clint Eastwood cool.

Saw how much love and passion he put into the character, how much legitimate care and gratitude he had for embodying a comicbook character, even through some misguided and downright awful features. It felt like he wanted nothing more than to do the character justice, where he could have easily just bailed in danger of the franchise harming his long term chances at more prestigious roles.

It's like your favorite player retiring from your favorite sports team. Hopefully he goes out with a championship.

Yep, well said

Zasa

It's a videogame forum made up mostly of PlayStation fans.

Most haven't seen enough movies to realise The Last of Us was inspired by The Road. They see a gruff bearded man looking after a young girl and automatically think OMG Last of Us!!!

I admit, TLoU was the first thing I thought of when I saw the Logan trailer. But I was aware Logan wasn't inspired by it.
Yeah, surprised by the amount of Last of Us comparisons there are on here. Guess it being recent has more to do with it. But yeah, wholly derivative of much better, & more original works. Some of which are just classic books, like The Road.

Which if others haven't read should definitely do so if you're in the mood for that 'Last of Us' atmosphere/tone of storytelling. Movie is 'ok'.

If I see another Last of Us reference I'm gonna skull fuck my PS4
lmfao

3N16MA

Banned

Slapping a R rating on a film won't fix its problems. Having a compelling story with a strong cast that generates positive WOM will.

HA, these reviews!

So this takes a massive shit all over most comic book films.

G O O D.

Let's get back to making some real fucking movies with these mythologies and characters.

Kelsdesu

I might actually pay in a theater for a Wolverine film and not wait for FX to broadcast it.. Well hot diggity damn. Wil defi itely be conparing this to LEGION (a show which is great).

When has this happened before for an R rated action movie, much less a comic book movie? I think I've seen similar reactions to animated films but not live action.

Well Deadpool was stunning. Had no idea I'd enjoy it as much as I did. Super hyped for this, and I've only ever seen one Wolverine movie.

The easiest comparison is Fury Road, but that is...

Fury Road was the most recent, I believe. Granted, that's an unfair comparison, being that it's one of the three best action films ever made.

Shit. Bobby beat me to it.

Damn I haven't been waiting any superhero movie like I'm waiting for this. And old western fan in me really smiles after reading these reviews.

GhaleonEB

The only X-men film I've seen is Deadpool, and I'm guessing that doesn't really count. Understanding this is a continuation of a character Jackman has played for a while, how lost would I be going in without seeing the other films? I'm really interested in the approach and story, but I've never been interested in the other films.

The only X-men film I've seen is Deadpool, and I'm guessing that doesn't really count. Understanding this is a continuation of a character Jackman has played for a while, how lost would I be going in without seeing the other films? I'm really interested in the approach and story, but I've never been interested in the other films.

You wont' really be lost. He's set up as "reluctant old washed up hero/legend" pretty quickly, and even if you've never seen his previous exploits, the way he's talked about/referenced in the movie makes it clear what he used to be, and how far he's fallen.

It'll work on that level just fine.

The level of violence sounds like this might actually get an 18A rating in Canada (Deadpool was 14A). Sucks for my youngest brother, who won't be able to see it if that's the case. I guess I'll just have to text him a picture of my movie ticket and he can use his imagination.

Hyped as hell though. I actually really liked The Wolverine except for the last 10-15 minutes, so I'm glad to hear that Mangold stuck the landing this time. Tempering my expectations though and not letting those TDK comparisons get to my head.

EDIT: Nope, according to IMDb, it's still 14A in Canada.

A few reviews I've seen said you can jump right into this one and get a complete story

liquidtmd

Banned
If I see another Last of Us reference I'm gonna skull fuck my PS4

BUT ITS GOT A LITTLE GIRL BEING LOOKED AFTER BY AN OLDER MAN IN A FUTURE SHITTY LANDSCAPE IN THE TRAILER, WE DEMAND THEY HOLD A PRESS CONFERENCE AND WORSHIP A VIDEOGAME THEY'VE PROBABLY NOT PLAYED!

A few reviews I've seen said you can jump right into this one and get a complete story

Good. It is nice to have it set up that way.

But, can Bobby or others that have seen it confirm, will it work even better if you have the history of it all building up to this? Because the whole history and shit of the previous X-Men films is what made the payoff of DoFP work so well for me.

BUT ITS GOT A LITTLE GIRL BEING LOOKED AFTER BY AN OLDER MAN IN A FUTURE SHITTY LANDSCAPE IN THE TRAILER, WE DEMAND THEY HOLD A PRESS CONFERENCE AND WORSHIP A VIDEOGAME THEY'VE PROBABLY NOT PLAYED!

AND ONE THAT HAS TAKEN MUCH OF ITS ELEMENTS FROM OTHER FICTIONAL WORKS THAT THE PLAYERS PROBABLY HAVEN'T READ OR WATCHED!

GhaleonEB

You wont' really be lost. He's set up as "reluctant old washed up hero/legend" pretty quickly, and even if you've never seen his previous exploits, the way he's talked about/referenced in the movie makes it clear what he used to be, and how far he's fallen.

It'll work on that level just fine.

Fantastic. Thanks, I'll in.

Yeah, if you're familiar with the roles Jackman & Stewart have essayed over the last two decades, seeing them play those roles in this minor key is going to mean a little bit more. It's the difference between hearing just the end movement of the 1812 Overture and listening to the thing in full and then getting to that ending.

Like, you're probably still gonna go "holy shit, this is amazing" if you've never heard the full symphony. But if you've sat through all the movements prior, and THEN the cannons start going off? Those hits are gonna hurt a little more.

cordy

Banned
Hugh Jackman finally getting a great film with his Wolverine character is like Daniel Bryan beating HHH, Batista and Orton at WM30.

Just playing through "Left behind" should be enough to catch you up with what is going on.

liquidtmd

Banned
Fantastic.

You think Fox will let Jackman truly walk away from the character?

End of contract is end of contract, but I suspect give it two years though and Fox will throw a shit tonne of money at him to be a legacy player in whatever shit they are trying to reboot again in the X-Men universe with not much screentime.

As much as I love them both, Im not part of the crowd clamouring for a Deadpool-Wolvie team up and I don't know why.

Would genuinely love Hugh to stick to his thought and bow out on a high.

Yeah, if you're familiar with the roles Jackman & Stewart have essayed over the last two decades, seeing them play those roles in this minor key is going to mean a little bit more. It's the difference between hearing just the end movement of the 1812 Overture and listening to the thing in full and then getting to that ending.

Like, you're probably still gonna go "holy shit, this is amazing" if you've never heard the full symphony. But if you've sat through all the movements prior, and THEN the cannons start going off? Those hits are gonna hurt a little more.
Love the analogy. Thanks.

Okay, let's do the rankings then. I think I'm settled, finally.

10) X-Men Origins: Wolverine
9) X-Men: The Last Stand
8) X-Men: Apocalypse
7) X-Men
6) The Wolverine
5) Deadpool
4) X-Men: First Class
3) X2: X-Men United
2) X-Men: Days of Future Past
1) Logan

To tier them up:

I'm the Best There is, Bub Tier:
Logan
X-Men: Days of Future Past

Gods Among Insects Tier:
X2: X-Men United
X-Men: First Class

Juggernaut sized quality gap

Mr. Laurio, Never Trust a Beautiful Woman Tier:
Deadpool
The Wolverine
X-Men
X-Men Apocalypse

fall from the Statue of Liberty sized gap

You're a Dick Tier
X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

As much as I love them both, Im not part of the crowd clamouring for a Deadpool-Wolvie team up and I don't know why.

I can't remember if I've said it before, but to me, I don't really want a Deadpool-Wolverine scene/movie specifically. I just want Jackman to be able to play of Reynolds' Deadpool. If that happens as Wolverine (which I know I stated in another thread that I don't think it will), so be it.

Edit: And to make my opinion clear, I do think Hugh Jackman will be in Deadpool 2, I just don't think he'll be playing Logan/Wolverine.

Did not see this coming.

I thought this movie would be good, but this is shaping up to be a top, TOP tier film. Holy hell.

no way Jackman walks away from Wolverine if this holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom