• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logan Review Thread - Go Fuck Yourself out of 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

As a huge X2 and DOFP fan, seeing this get rave reviews is satisfying (from plenty of critics I trust too). Hugh and Patrick Stewart deserved a great send off given they were OG's of the modern comic landscape and two of the best at occupying their roles for years.

Honestly did not care for Deadpool at all. Annoyed the ever living hell out of me.

LionPride

Banned
Legit question, why are you even in here since you hate anything (fox) X-Men so much and make it clear so everyone else knows that as well

Anyway not read any reviews and don't plan to either but so hyped for this
Because I want this movie to actually be good, and I'll deadass be in here if it's good

That's why

Because I want this movie to actually be good, and I'll deadass be in here if it's good

That's why

Based on your history you gonna complain no matter what, X-MEN movies can't win with dudes like you.

Film is a disappointment or ass before you seen the intro credits regardless of what happens

LionPride

Banned
Based on your history you gonna complain no matter what, X-MEN movies can't win with dudes like you.

Film is a disappointment or ass before you seen the intro credits regardless of what happens
Nah, if it's good, it's good.

I want movies I see to be good. I wanted The Wolverine to be good. And it was, until the third act. You obviously don't pay attention since I often talk about wanting shit to be good. I can back up every complaint I have about every X-Men movie. I don't say a movie is shit unless I got reason. You can like it, bug I don't for a reason.

So don't act like you know my thought process before I see a movie yung

Nah, if it's good, it's good.

I want movies I see to be good. I wanted The Wolverine to be good. And it was, until the third act. You obviously don't pay attention since I often talk about wanting shit to be good. I can back up every complaint I have about every X-Men movie. I don't say a movie is shit unless I got reason. You can like it, bug I don't for a reason.

So don't act like you know my thought process before I see a movie yung

Not saying I know your thought process but its become dull now because anything Fox/X-MEN is hated on and too many X-MEN OT threads have gone to shit with complaints and moaning. While other comic book threads are full of cheerleaders who ignore flaws of other comic book movies by other studios

LionPride

Banned
Not saying I know your thought process but its become dull now because anything Fox/X-MEN is hated on and too many X-MEN OT threads have gone to shit with complaints and moaning. While other comic book threads are full of cheerleaders who ignore flaws of other comic book movies by other studios
Then they should make good movies instead of constant disappointments *shrug*

No one is against X-Men movies, they just ain't good

Boem

Yet this isn’t a performers’ movie—it's too hung up on its mission for that. The themes of Logan are ragingly topical, pointing in the direction of things that every decent American should care about right now. But themes aren’t feelings or attributes or actions; they’re almost not even ideas. They’re not the explosions that shake you to the core, like the thunder of unease you feel after you’ve watched a movie like Alfonso Cuaron’s Children of Men, or that picture’s natural predecessor, Ingmar Bergman’s Shame. They’re just things you make movies about. The great political movies of our time are yet to be made, and they will come. Logan, by either luck or prescience or some combination of both, feels political, but it’s really just business as usual in the comic-book-movie game.

Time - Negative

Probably discussed already, but this review cracked me up. 'This Wolverine movie takes a new direction, but it's no Bergman or Cuaron!'. Reminds me of those snotty literature reviewers discussing Pratchett in that documentary that aired the other week. I mean, it's a bloody Wolverine movie, what did they expect?

And I'm not even an X-Men fan!

LionPride

Banned
So what CB movies do you rate so highly that makes all X-MEN movies a disappointment
Not all, just everything except First Class and I guess Deadpool

But like my fave five is: Dredd, the goat Civil War, Batman Begins, Man of Steel, Winter Soldier.

I just have no reason to like the X-Men movies. That shitty wire work they do for Wolverine and it looks like for X-23, the meh acting by most of the cast, shitty story, characters I don't give a fuck about. I just don't like em, if you like em that's you

Kaizer

Banned
Still don't get the hype over Days Of Future Past, I've watched it twice now and it was merely decent to me. X2 on the other hand holds up pretty good.

LionPride

Banned
Still don't get the hype over Days Of Future Past, I've watched it twice now and it was merely decent to me. X2 on the other hand holds up pretty good.
qV14A_s-200x150.gif

Panzon

Yes! Been dying to go to the theaters and now I have the perfect excuse. Might do a marathon and watch Logan, John Wick and Get out all in the same day.
YOLO

BaconHat

Probably discussed already, but this review cracked me up. 'This Wolverine movie takes a new direction, but it's no Bergman or Cuaron!'. Reminds me of those snotty literature reviewers discussing Pratchett in that documentary that aired the other week. I mean, it's a bloody Wolverine movie, what did they expect?

And I'm not even an X-Men fan!

What's the documentary name?

On-topic, really glad to see those positive reviews. I did not see any of the new x-men movies in theaters, but i'll probably go see this one on opening night.

But like my fave five is: Dredd, the goat Civil War, Batman Begins, Man of Steel, Winter Soldier.

I just have no reason to like the X-Men movies. That shitty wire work they do for Wolverine and it looks like for X-23, the meh acting by most of the cast, shitty story, characters I don't give a fuck about. I just don't like em, if you like em that's you

That's cool but why you in here then if you don't like the movies (and will most likely complain about Logan)

I don't like a lot of DC or Marvel movies but you'll rarely see me in threads dedicated to those movies coz.... Um well why would I

LionPride

Banned
That's cool but why you in here then if you don't like the movies (and will most likely complain about Logan)

I don't like a lot of DC or Marvel movies but you'll rarely see me in threads dedicated to those movies coz.... Um well why would I
I literally said I hope the movie is good, but I hope you don't think all review threads are full of positivity, cause I would hate to shatter that thought.

I feel like Days of Future Past gets more credit because of where it put the franchise by the end. There wasn't a whole lot interesting going on aside from Xavier, but he's usually good.

molnizzle

As a casual fan of the films, Days of Future Past was pretty weird and confusing. I remember enjoying First Class a hell of a lot more.

I fucks wit you for this. I only like dead pool and like 30% of the wolverine. Xmen movies just have bad boring lackluster action scenes. Bad stories where they keep rehashing the magneto/prof. X frienemies relationship. Pointless wink at the camera cameos. Managing to make 90% of all mutants trash on screen.

Draper

This is what life looks like...

People who love each other.

A home.

You should take a moment.

Feel it.

You still have time...

kurahador

As a casual fan of the films, Days of Future Past was pretty weird and confusing. I remember enjoying First Class a hell of a lot more.

As someone who loves X1, X2 and First Class, DOFP feels like a payoff I didn't know I wanted. I can understand someone who were less invested would be like whatever with the premise.

I'm thinking Logan will do to Wolverine what DOFP did to the X-Men.

Put in the camp of someone who prefers First Class to DOFP. One of the few X-Men films that feels like an X-Men film and not a Wolverine + the X-Men film.

DoFP is one of the few X-men movies where Logan is legitimately a supporting character. He's the vessel by which the plot starts moving, yeah, but he's maybe the 4th or 5th most important character. If that.

It's one of the few times Logan gets to be part of the ensemble instead of the de-facto lead. Maybe the only time, so far as movies he has a substantial role, and not just a cameo (Apocalypse, First Class)

Anyway: Logan is a good movie, period. It works on its own terms.

Also: Bill Sienkiewicz is one of my favorite artists, period, and I will never get tired of his shit.

Boem

What's the documentary name?

On-topic, really glad to see those positive reviews. I did not see any of the new x-men movies in theaters, but i'll probably go see this one on opening night.

Terry Pratchett: Back in Black. It's heartbreaking, but good. They got an actor to play Terry, which is weird so soon after his death, but the explanation they give for it at the beginning is actually pretty wonderful, sweet and funny at the same time. The kind of joke Terry himself would have really liked.

But like I said, it's heartbreaking. Seeing Neil Gaiman completely break down while trying to talk about his friend is something I don't want to see again.

Slixshot

Banned
I am so excited for this movie! :) my hype levels went from "oh this looks cool." To "why am I checking the rotten tomatoes scores every few hours to see more positive reviews?"

Shaanyboi

Banned
DoFP is one of the few X-men movies where Logan is legitimately a supporting character. He's the vessel by which the plot starts moving, yeah, but he's maybe the 4th or 5th most important character. If that.

It's one of the few times Logan gets to be part of the ensemble instead of the de-facto lead. Maybe the only time, so far as movies he has a substantial role, and not just a cameo (Apocalypse, First Class)

Anyway: Logan is a good movie, period. It works on its own terms.

Also: Bill Sienkiewicz is one of my favorite artists, period, and I will never get tired of his shit.
Wolverine is definitely an important character in DOFP to facilitate the plot, but there's a clear intent behind his constant removal. Outside of killing those goons in the apartment and knocking out acouple Pentagon guards, he doesn't accomplish much as an action character. He has a mental breakdown during the run in with Mystique and Stryker, and against the sentinels, his bone claws are useless. And Magneto just impales him and tosses him aside.

It's a very deliberate choice that Logan isn't the one to really change history, but only to inform. Instead, the necessity of change rests entirely on the characters in the past and the choices they make.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So it appears those 3 minutes added to the movie are indeed for an end credits scene...

http://collider.com/logan-after-credits-scene

While the version of the film screened for critics had no such thing, over the past few days word has begun to spread that Logan might have a scene added after the credits when it hits theaters. Forget about the rumors…I can confirm it’s true. When Logan is released on March 3rd it’ll have a post-credits scene. I’m not sure if it’s half way through the credits or at the very end, but I can 100% tell you something will be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom