• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agalloch

Mr. B Natural said:
As an American who can't appreciate buildings hundreds of years old like Europeans can, it makes me angry to see these gorgeous structures destroyed for no reason. You can't rebuild history. When they're gone, they're gone. A replication just isn't the same. A shame really.

Luckily you did'nt see Italy during second world war

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Diablos54 said:
Well... That does sounds appealing. :p

Things were fine a few hours ago, and nothings happened the past few nights, so hopefully it stays like that. People are flooding out so I hope it'll be fine.
Yeah, unless you want to get killed, don't do that either.

Graphics Horse said:
Any respectable looter would choose the smallest items possible from poundland.

Everything in there is a pound or less, but in a way, stealing a single item is actually like stealing at least £4 from them... you need to spend a fiver in there if you want to use a cash card.

Every time I've ever been in a poundland, I've came out saddled with shit I didn't actually need. On my last visit? A3 drawing pads, coloured paints and pencils, empty glass jars, union jack flip flops, a small water pistol, and coal.

Casp0r said:
You fucking idiot. You're part of the problem.

If the police have stressed one point enough it's that they don't want spectators. You're filling the streets and making their job harder to do.

If you go out there, the blood is on your hands as well. Even if you just want to watch. You're getting in the way. Stay at home and watch it on the news, let the police do their job.

If you do go out there, I hope you get shot in the head with a baton round.

I lol'd.

Dambrosi

Banned
Oddly enough, the movie adaption of The Watchmen was on Channel 4 on Saturday night.

Remembering this caused me to think about whether this whole ordeal might be Britain's Ozymandias Moment.

Oh, and Casp0r is a reactionary idiot with laughable views, but I think that much is self-evident. Hoping spectators get shot in the head? Really, now?

Jake.

i am originally from the UK, the police/government response is beyond fucking pathetic. there is no way in hell this should have passed day 2. what has the domestic (i.e. the UK population/opposition government) been like?

clemenx

Banned
I haven't seen much news about this but this all just seems surreal in the sense that there's seemingly no reason for this.

I am certainly not a looter, but part of me is sad that this kind doesn't happen in my country where we have real problems and reasons if something like this happened.

Raydeen

Jake. said:
i am originally from the UK, the police/government response is beyond fucking pathetic. there is no way in hell this should have passed day 2. what has the domestic (i.e. the UK population/opposition government) been like?

Silent.

Apart from Ken Livingston, trying to score his usual anti-Boris points for forthcoming election.

Dabanton

Jake. said:

All off on expensive holidays.

While the country burned.

PJV3

I remember being in the middle of leicester square and between the two sets of supporters when it kicked off between English and Scottish football fans. You would have to be mental to attend the riots tonight when the police are promising to go in hard. I was close to filling my underpants with the brown stuff.

Diablos54

Lyphen said:
Yeah, unless you want to get killed, don't do that either.
Haha I was joking, there's no way I'd actually be that stupid.

If you do go out, take something to cripple/kill any rioters you run into. Then string them up by the neck and leave a sign round them saying 'I looted'. That should keep your community safe.
:D :D, sounds like a good idea to me. I need some kind of powerful weapon though...

Jake.

"The way we police in Britain is not through use of water cannon. The way we police in Britain is through consent of communities."

you just can't make this shit up.

ShogunX

2hpufjn.jpg

Salford.

Dambrosi said:
Remembering this caused me to think about whether this whole ordeal might be Britain's Ozymandias Moment.

I do think its awakened people to what fucking morons people are and brought down some disdain and shame on some of them. I've seen people bickering amongst themselves online, lads gloating about looting or whatever, who are then chastised by people they know and they quickly come around to saying they knew it was wrong... or they isolate themselves further and just continue to argue. We need catharsis though, it can't stop here... I need to see doors kicked in and kids carted off in cuffs. They need to restore the idea that crime doesn't pay.

StuBurns

Banned
I think the logic being used for not using water cannons makes some sense, they're ideal when you have crowds coming at a specific point, not crawling the streets looking for shit to steal.

Jintor

Finally, some QUALITY journalism

Riots caused by society or lazy, thieving pricks, say experts

THE London riots are the inevitable consequence of a society that includes some arseholes who like to steal things instead of working, experts claimed last night.

Sociologists said the devastation across the capital was the direct result of either social exclusion and government cutbacks or some young, inner-city pricks finding a flimsy excuse to set fire to Carpetright.

As the city's often neglected underclass of dicks, twats and fuckers, let out a desperate cry of opportunist theft, Waterstones in Clapham was only spared after staff hurriedly removed the Stars of the Jeremy Kyle Show Pop-Up Book from the window.

More here.
Yes I know it's England's Onion, shut up

SmokyDave

Jake. said:
"The way we police in Britain is not through use of water cannon. The way we police in Britain is through consent of communities."

I'd say that was a pretty frank admission that the police are fucked.

I agree, the kids are moving around so quite and disparately that I think it'd be useless. You're not battering back a crowd, you're trying to stop rampant looting.

I'd be up for the use of tear gas though. I'd love to see a tear gas round ker-thunk its way into a shop building full of chavs just to see them all crawling out with their eyes streaming.

gerg

According to links posted on Facebook by friends the rioters want to come to Barnet today.

On the one hand, I'm worried that they might then move to Finchley, where my home is.

On the other hand, I feel secure knowing that if they did we could just air-drop Maggie Thatcher into the area, and she'd sort them out.

Jake. said:

Well, that is ass backward thinking in a riot situation.

BREAKING NEWS In the last hour several shop windows have been smashed in West Bromwich. Up to 200 youths in hoodies have been seen on the streets and police have now pushed the crowd to one side. - BBC

Covfan

Pazuzu9 said:
Just came back from a walk around town. Shops are being told to close up in Coventry. Argos is already shut.

Shops at central 6 are boarding up and some shops in ball hill are closing early as well.

Ashes

Banned
Boris Johnson held a broom aloft in clapham? :p

They really should just put a curfew in certain parts of the town...

anonnumber6 said:
Apparently the Arndale Centre is closing in Manchester according to some of my friends that work there and have been sent home.
Hopefully this is just precautionary and it doesn't receive any damage, there's a hell of a lot of glass windows around that area

ToxicAdam

Jake. said:

That comment actually helps me understand the situation. You can't expect a police force to do something they are not trained to do. If there are no proper parameters or rules put into place to tell them how to behave, you can't expect them to be do it properly.

Hopefully, through sheer numbers they will be able to quell this problem. Then they probably need to update their training manuals.

msv

What about paintballs? As long as you don't aim for the eyes you can shoot people relatively safely. You can have squads of riot police roaming around and shooting looters, taggin em while they're at it.

ruttyboy

Carton said:
I wish this kid could be identified, so to enable us to donate and repurchase his stolen belongings and then some. One of the ways we can best remove the stains of hatred these people have made upon lives and society, is by acts of generosity and kindness.

What is it that the guy steals, I can't work it out.

THE:MILKMAN

Pazuzu9 said:
Just a precaution for now. There was nothing going on really. Didn't even see many shady characters...

Has I said last night, all police forces in the UK are deploying higher than normal manpower to the major city centres.

This then leads to people panic posting on twitter that is kicking off............

Hopefully, it doesn't.

Ashes1396 said:
Boris Johnson held a broom aloft in clapham? :p

They really should just put a curfew in certain parts of the town...

I cannot believe that a curfew hasnt been set and isnt being enforced yet. Its mind blowing. You stop the rioters before they leave their houses to commit crimes.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
TheExecutive said:
I cannot believe that a curfew hasnt been set and isnt being enforced yet. Its mind blowing. You stop the rioters before they leave their houses to commit crimes.

Unenforceable on a city of London's size, and would just stretch the police thinly rather than letting them concentrate on the areas under threat.

Dambrosi

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
I do think its awakened people to what fucking morons people are and brought down some disdain and shame on some of them. I've seen people bickering amongst themselves online, lads gloating about looting or whatever, who are then chastised by people they know and they quickly come around to saying they knew it was wrong... or they isolate themselves further and just continue to argue. We need catharsis though, it can't stop here... I need to see doors kicked in and kids carted off in cuffs. They need to restore the idea that crime doesn't pay.
Not just bolded, but highlighted for "Fucking RIGHT ON".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom