• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kikarian

moramo said:
guys what's the main reason for this riots

sorry for asking but i am really confused
It was suppost to be about someone guy getting shot by the police. But it has now escalated even more. To people joining in for the 'fun' of it.

params7

Banned
Meadows said:
I tried to think of a reason for the riots and all I came up with was that British, same as all western society, places great value on material goods and these people aren't being given the jobs to pursue those material goods legitimately.

But guess what, I'm poor and want a 30" TV and an iPad 2, so you know what I do? Work at Pizza Hut while I'm at University. I was born in a poor area too so there are no excuses there.

Its not that simple. Upbringing and environment has a lot to do with it. I've seen life in the poorest villages of north India where my cousins still live.

I'm not defending the rioters, I'm saying there will always be a poor class, as long as there is a medium and a rich class, it'll always be an offset to balance the equation. The poor may be poor because they deserve to be poor (they don't look for jobs, they don't push themselves to college) and sometimes they are just victims (bad upbringing, variety of social/enviro factors) and unless there is a police force good enough to protect the shops, they will be lured in riots like this.

awwyeahgurrl said:
Which can be just as deadly as a real bullet. If you've got to pull a gun on someone it should be in self defence only if you feel your life in actually in danger and to kill, nothing else. A riot squad could easily deal with what's going on without resorting to any sort of shooting.

I'm pretty sure that isn't true based on what's happened over the last few days.

Poona said:
Serious?

KFC is in many places. Just like McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Subway, etc are.

Actually KFC has actually been in the UK since 1965.

http://kfc.co.uk

In Australia it opened in 1968.

http://kfc.com.au

The list goes on...

Also I believe in China, Colonel Sanders is admired quite a bit and they are more profitable there than they are in the US.

Not only that, but all of those fast food joints are better than the ones in the U.S..

LiK

DodgeAnon said:
It was suppost to be about someone guy getting shot by the police. But it has now escalated even more. To people joining in for the 'fun' of it.
Pretty much anarchists and shitheads taking advantage of the situation.

TGMIII

Ponti said:
Midsection, not the eye. I'm not saying they should be used in every riot either, just for situations like this where the shit has clearly hit the fan.

Are you serious? Where do you live and when is the last time you've actually seen cases of people being hit with rubber bullets. Like I said before, I live in Northern Ireland and there are plenty of cases of people being hit in the chest and being killed from blunt trauma or in some cases the bullet actually penetrating the person and they're still used here and have been used as recent as a few weeks ago.

Rubber bullets are LESS LETHAL compared to normal bullets. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be used but people here seem to think they'll just give people a bit of a bump and send them on their way.

Ponti said:
Midsection, not the eye. I'm not saying they should be used in every riot either, just for situations like this where the shit has clearly hit the fan.
Rubber bullets can kill you if they hit you in the face or neck (crushed windpipe). However, if you let everyone know what you are going to do as a police force and they still go out and loot they take the risk of being killed.

Yami

My uni town is in lockdown (Uxbridge, just on the outskirts) at the moment amid rumours of it being targeted next. Can't wait to go back next month!

SmokyDave

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I think it's a terrible example of "first world problems" that young people in the UK (and now it seems, the US) are organizing riots to get free TVs and sneakers (or simply beat up white people), whereas in the middle east young people were organizing riots to take back their country from corrupt regimes that were carpet bombing them in retaliation.
It's a shameful fucking mess is what it is.

Diablos54

Yami said:
My uni town is in lockdown (Uxbridge, just on the outskirts) at the moment amid rumours of it being targeted next. Can't wait to go back next month!
Apparently it's going down within the hour, I'm going to talk a walk through soon and see what happenes.

Kweh

Even the birds are taking up this opportunity.

seagulvn3.gif

mclem

IdreamofHIME said:
I'm looking at this guy on Sky News talking about his Thai restaurant being looted and I'm thinking I know him from somewhere.....

It's bloody Adrian Mills from That's Life!

Esther: We contacted the rioters. We said to them:
Adrian: Please don't loot us.
Esther: And they said to us:
Gavin: Fuck you, give us the canapes.
Esther: And now over to Doc Cox with how best to fight a rioter if all you have to hand is an amusingly-shaped vegetable.

TheExecutive said:
Rubber bullets can kill you if they hit you in the face or neck (crushed windpipe). However, if you let everyone know what you are going to do as a police force and they still go out and loot they take the risk of being killed.
This. They don't just say "SURPRISE! RUBBER BULLETS!" often times the use is prefaced with a lot of warnings, then a shrug and a hail of dildo sized bullets.

Who stands in front of dildo sized bullets? I still can't fathom why you would. Other than it making some people think they can post videos of Police "brutality".

Ponti

awwyeahgurrl said:
Are you serious? Where do you live and when is the last time you've actually seen cases of people being hit with rubber bullets. Like I said before, I live in Northern Ireland and there are plenty of cases of people being hit in the chest and being killed from blunt trauma or in some cases the bullet actually penetrating the person and they're still used here and have been used as recent as a few weeks ago.

Rubber bullets are LESS LETHAL compared to normal bullets. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be used but people here seem to think they'll just give people a bit of a bump and send them on their way.
Batons are more than capable of killing people too. I'm not debating whether or not rubber bullets can kill folk or not, there are always if and maybes for serious injuries or death when have to use some form of force/weapon. Rubber bullets are still a damn better alternative to firearms. But like I said only in extreme circumstances like those were seeing right now.

Diablos54 said:
Apparently it's going down within the hour, I'm going to talk a walk through soon and see what happenes.

Aww jesus I have to go to work soon and if shit kicks off there im going to be in trouble.

Police were searching my train this morning for 10 minutes, looking for yobbos on the move I guess.

PJV3

Bungieware said:
Not far from Kingston, but I should be safe

I think they base it on the town having a Jd sports store, which was attacked last night. hopefully nothing happens.

SmokyDave

Starting to kick off in Notts apparently. Not sure how true. Radford (where I am) and Bulwell.

NTom64 said:
Apparently all the stores in Arnold, Nottingham are closing early today. Really hope shit doesn't start there :/
Great, that's where I'm headed next.

Yami

Diablos54 said:

Keep us updated, I'm just hearing things from friends on facebook at the moment. :/

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
15.50 Nick Clegg was booed by crowds who shouted "go home" during a walkabout in Birmingham this afternoon.

Poor Nick :(

man scotland is looking by far the best part of the UK now (not that it wasn't already). it's sunny, there's no riots and less spending cuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom