• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveWD40

Funky Papa said:
You may be joking, but my old high school was a in a rowdy neighbourhood, so I modified my keychain in a way that I could quickly use my three keys (locker, main door and flat) as a stabbing knuckleduster. I never had to use them, but I still carry it with me. One single punch to the face could wreck anybody's shit.

I have a Maxpedtion keeper on mine which allows me to get good purchase and use them the same way, little trick I learned from Bas Rutten.

0033270ma.jpg

Nissan keys to the face bitches.

Aku-Audi

Christopher Tin (composer of Baba Yetu in Civilization IV.) just posted this:

Christopher Tin said:
And on a more serious note, my thoughts go out to my one-time home, London. Already heard that one of my musician friends had her flat burned down. Lost everything she had, including her two cats. :(

:(

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Funky Papa said:
You may be joking, but my old high school was a in a rowdy neighbourhood, so I modified my keychain in a way that I could quickly use my three keys (locker, main door and flat) as a stabbing knuckleduster. I never had to use them, but I still carry it with me. One single punch to the face could wreck anybody's shit.

As a teenager I wore one of those metal chains on my jeans (like metalheads do). Within a few seconds I could adapt it as a whip, garrote or good ol' fashioned knuckleduster. I only ever had to use it once, and it ended the fight rather quickly.

Shiggy said:

If that's who I think it is..then my post void lol. Ok I don't mean those dumb arses!

Empty said:
well i think both those issues are at play here. there's the larger stuff which is that lots of youths in poor areas feel very alienated politically, socially and economically, and in how lots of people feel disconnected from society and pessimistic about their future it creates the circumstances in which people don't mind about causing havoc and decide not to care about the local businesses and local areas and local people as people normally would. that's there, but it doesn't explain why people decide to engage with the riots personally on an individual level, why they are personally going out of their way to torch a bus or personally grabbing a tv and some aren't or the lack of any clear purpose to it, and there is where you have mindless thuggery of people enjoying destroying stuff and free stuff coming through.

yeah true. I think the majority are just opportunists seeking to benefit off the back of the few who really feel pissed off. BUt damn, I don't know anymore, just social unrest and madness.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Mecha_Infantry said:
I don't know why people are not listening to the people doing this shit, and just want to cement their own beliefs that it's just hoodlums doing it for fun. They're telling you it's not just for fun, but everyone else says different.
when someone wearing a £100 tracksuit waddles out of a smashed in curry's with a 52" plasma screen, it somehow detracts from their grand proletarian redemption songs about "the politicians and cuts and all that".

Mecha_Infantry said:
yeah true. I think the majority are just opportunists seeking to benefit off the back of the few who really feel pissed off. BUt damn, I don't know anymore, just social unrest and madness.
it's cunts. to say any different is insultingly patronising to every minority, every person in poverty and every person whose ever mobilized themselves in the name of an actual cause.

Carl

MarkMclovin said:
No, I think people are making shit up here.

Pretty sure it's a pic taken of a guy being stripped searched yesterday, and that guy is a mate holding his clothes.

What you don't see is the officer(s) asking him to do it.

Also, why would his face be blocked out if it was taken by some gang member?

...People don't get stripped search in the middle of the street.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
gobassgo said:
I have a flight to London next friday, and I'm staying in a Hostel in Bayswater (Astor Hyde Park). Should I be worried?
The rioters aren't murderers. Unless you own a shop, or happen to be living above a shop you have nothing to worry about.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Dear London-Gaf:

I have an unused 5 1/2 foor carbon steel Kryptonite bike chain/lock.

accessories-kryptonite-security-lock-chain1.jpg

I will gladly send it to you as self defense.

ChiTownBuffalo

CozMick

Banned
Meadows said:
Just saw this on FB:

[/IMG]http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/223051_239446376095607_239335602773351_757468_4636748_n./jpg[/IMG]

"they didn't torch Greggs because they knew their kids would need breakfast in the morning"

Well, at least their Cheese and Bacon wraps will be cooked for once tomorrow morning :lol

Meadows

Banned
gobassgo said:
I have a flight to London next friday, and I'm staying in a Hostel in Bayswater (Astor Hyde Park). Should I be worried?

No. Unless you feel like slumming it on Hackney high-street and pushing around looters there is a 0% chance of anything happening to you.

SteveWD40

BlazingDarkness said:
Live on Granada news, confirms looting in Manchester City centre, various stores have been smashed including the Arndale centre doors

Still really quiet out there considering.

They will be after the Apple Store...

/tempted to put my Shemagh on and go and get an ipad2

not really

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
SteveWD40 said:
I have a Maxpedtion keeper on mine which allows me to get good purchase and use them the same way, little trick I learned from Bas Rutten.

0033270ma.jpg

Nissan keys to the face bitches.
Pretty much the same thing, only with three keys and one piece of hard rubber protecting the palm of my hand. I removed the rubber link connecting the clip that goes to your trourser's tab and added two big metal rings that allowed me to comfortably dangle the keys and the main piece of the keyring (basically an almost palm sized piece of hard rubber) within my right pocket. That way I could slip my hand and put the three keys between my main fingers, using the main piece as a protecting/holding apparatus, while clipping it off my trousers using the thumb.

It may sound silly, but it's a weapon to reckon. It can pretty much scrap the flesh out of your ribs, not to mention what could do to some dickhead's face.

Edit: And best of all, it's 100% legal. After all it's basically a normal key holder with a couple of extra metal rings. London-GAF should try it just in case.

Jamie OD

_Xenon_ said:
So the riot is still going and the police force is still standing by? Seriously your authority needs to learn something from some Asian countries or maybe Russia. Can't image what will happen during the Olympic games next year.

The situation has not put me off from going over to London next year for the Olympics but I really do hope nothing similar to this ever happens again.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So are these riots being instigated by black-clothed anarchists, and then dumbass bandwagon jumpers joining in?

I remember the Vancouver and Toronto riots were like that.

StuBurns

Banned
ChiTownBuffalo said:
Dear London-Gaf:

I have an unused 5 1/2 foor carbon steel Kryptonite bike chain/lock.

accessories-kryptonite-security-lock-chain1.jpg

I will gladly send it to you as self defense.

ChiTownBuffalo
My bike literally got nicked the week I moved to London. And I still get angry about it.

Sneds

Mecha_Infantry said:

If people are just using this an opportunity to loot, you still have to wonder about their reasoning.

I would like a new plasma TV but I don't plan to get one by looting from a shop. Part of that is due to my upbringing and my morality. But it's also due to the fact that I have a lot to lose - my place at university, a future career. There was a picture posted in this thread of a woman looting packets of crisps from Poundland that probably had a value of less than £5. I really wonder what was going through that woman's mind. Was a few packets of crisps really worth possible arrest and a criminal record? Apparently so.

I doubt that people engage in random acts of violence when they're happy with their lives and feel that they have a good future. I think as a country we really have to ask why is it that hundreds of people in this country are so discontent and seemingly feel that they have nothing to lose.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If some kind underprivileged disenfranchised youth could snag me a 60 inch plasma I'd be ever so grateful.

Ta.

Our street just had a meeting and have agreed that the men are going to band together against the rioters with any kind of weapons we have. One of the guys has a pump action rifle and a shotgun which should be very useful, but most are going with baseball bats, golf clubs and crowbars.

Fuck these arseholes.

Also:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/7337

Convicted London rioters should loose all benefits.

Official government petition that will get a guaranteed hearing at the HoC if it reaches 100k people. Everybody sign!

Feorax

Count Dookkake said:
It is time to unleash Purple Aki.

I reckon we're probably safer with the rioters...

Chinner said:
my friend from liverpool is saying shit is kicking off. anyone else got anything?

Friend of mine posted on Facebook earlier they he was sent home from work, apparently all kicking off in Liverpool ONE. Whether that's true remains to be seen, nothing reported yet.

zomgbbqftw said:
Our street just had a meeting and have agreed that the men are going to band together against the rioters with any kind of weapons we have. One of the guys has a pump action rifle and a shotgun which should be very useful, but most are going with baseball bats, golf clubs and crowbars.

Fuck these arseholes.

YESSSSSSSS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom