• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any bleeding hearts want to take this one?

BBC reporter at Highbury Magistrates Court John Brain tells BBC 5 live the first person who appeared in the dock this morning was a 31-year-old teacher called Alexis Bailey. She pleaded guilty to being part of the looting of the Richer Sounds store in Croydon.

snoopen

what was the joke about chavs organising / participating in riots in their expensive trackies with their smart phones and arguing for better quality of life?

Mikeside

iapetus said:
1. Don't put shooting in quotes, unless you're actually insinuating that there was no such thing, in which case everyone will join in mocking you mercilessly. There was a shooting, and trying to dismiss it through cheap rhetorical tricks doesn't do you any favours.

2. The things that you're claiming sparked the riots have been present for a hell of a long time without causing riots. They're part of the underlying cause, but they're demonstrably not a spark for the situation we're seeing now. Your position is similar to that of someone claiming that an explosion at a petrol station was sparked by all the petrol lying around, not the "lit match" that someone dropped on it. Nobody's claiming that opportunism, a sense of entitlement (though that's a hideously overused phrase) and the like aren't part of the cause. Just that they aren't what sparked the riots.

3. I don't care if they give a fuck. It's not relevant. The shooting was what set this off. It's not a direct cause for a lot of the shits out there looting now, of course. But like you say, they're reacting to what they've seen happening as a response to the initial protests against the shooting. And it should be pretty obvious to anyone that more shootings aren't going to help calm the situation.

To be fair, they faked the moon landing, I'm sure they could have easily faked the shooting
</tinfoilhat>

...not that I give a fuck about the shooting. Gunz be baller, mang.

SmokyDave said:
Well, I'd be a bit daft to argue with that. I graciously concede that this is a child of mixed parentage. It still needs aborting.

But what these people need are real jobs that pay a decent wage. We don't need Peter Mandelson saying that they could all become hair dressers and graphic designers just as much as we don't need Thatcher saying that if you just turn the rich into the super rich then more will "trickle down" onto them and they don't need to do anything.

Prine

Banned
NinjaTehFish said:
Un-fucking-believable.

What if i said your the animal? Who lacks the intelligence and empathy to realise that cumulative generations of people growing up and living with the rest of society telling them this (bolded) and worse are going to act just like that.
Its a monster everyone who is not them has let fester, and it can only be slain with compassion not further hate.

We'll be paying for their crimes. £100m so far. Then continue to support them soon after. We'll pay the doctors to give birth to their kids, then some more to raise them. They wont have to lift a finger.

I feel sorry for the genuine cases that require the dole. But i cant feel compassion for people that think its acceptable to abuse it.

JMB

Banned
The shit well and truly hit the fan last night in Nottingham;

Nottingham riots: Dozens of arrests made

More than 80 people have been arrested following a night of riots in Nottingham in which five police stations were attacked.

Stations in The Meadows, Bulwell and St Ann's were targeted, while Canning Circus station was set alight after fire bombs were thrown at the building.

Mobs of up to 50 people damaged cars, pubs and shops in areas including Basford, Mapperley and Radford.

A total of 84 people were arrested for acts of arson and criminal violence.

It is expected the total number of arrests will exceed 100 later on Wednesday, police said.

Officers said the violence caused "untold damage" to the city and put lives at risk.

The Nottinghamshire force deployed hundreds of officers to deal with the unrest. Three received minor injuries, a spokesperson confirmed.

College fire bombed

Incidents reported by police overnight included:

*Canning Circus police station was fire bombed at about 22:00 BST. The flames were extinguished and eight people have been arrested
*Meadows Police Station was attacked by 15 to 20 males and a police vehicle set on fire outside
*Clarendon College in Sherwood Rise was fire bombed. Fire crews extinguished the blaze, but the building has been seriously damaged
*Car fires were started in New Basford and Old Basford
*Cars were set on fire in Woodborough Road, Mapperley - reportedly by fire bombs
*About 50 youths were seen trying to set fire to cars in Monfort Street, Radford
*A group of about 30 youths targeted St Ann's police station with stones
*A lorry was set on fire in Sneinton Market
*The Golden Fleece pub on Mansfield Road and the Blenheim pub in Bulwell were both damaged.
*Police said they had dealt with more than 1,000 reports of disorder in Nottingham and the surrounding area since 18:00 BST.

According to the force, the majority of the incidents related to "rowdy behaviour by groups of individuals roaming the streets of housing estates and the city centre seemingly intent on causing trouble".

'Mindless hooliganism'

Assistant Chief Constable Paul Scarrott described them as "gratuitous, senseless and wholly unjustified acts of wanton criminality".

He said: "I cannot understand this explosion of mindless hooliganism and violence which is scarring our city and causing untold damage, not just to property but to the peace of mind of the law-abiding majority.

"My officers have come under physical attack and their lives have been put in danger.

"I cannot believe the mentality of those committing this violence and I cannot understand how parents can be allowing their children to participate and spectate.

"They should be in no doubt. We are here to do a job and we will do that job.

"More and more people can expect to be arrested and will face the consequences of their action."

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-14472172

iapetus said:
Or, apparently, read.

It isn't an excuse.
Yeah, it sparked it off. You know what people will do? Point to that moment as if it was an excuse.

They should not get to hide behind any political point in order to justify their behaviour

I'm probably left wing in this sense, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want some skulls bashed in (not literally obviously). London survey agrees with me. People want to go right-wing on these youths at the moment. It may calm down in the next few weeks, however.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Napoleonthechimp said:
Yeah, it sparked it off. You know what people will do? Point to that moment as if it was an excuse.

Sure, some people will.

They will be wrong.

If they're using it as a defence in court, they may or may not be surprised to discover that our legal system does not accept it as an excuse either.

Napoleonthechimp said:
They should not get to hide behind any political point in order to justify their behaviour

We can agree on that, at least. I just don't happen to think that this means we should therefore ignore how this thing kicked off, just because some wrong person is going to try (and fail) to use it as a justification for their actions.

Meus Renaissance said:
I'm probably left wing in this sense, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want some skulls bashed in (not literally obviously). London survey agrees with me. People want to go right-wing on these youths at the moment. It may calm down in the next few weeks, however.

Demanding a stop, with violence if needed isn't politically. Left or right, at this point you need to get a grip on the situation, with the necessary use of force. Anyone who does not understand that is simply incompetent and unfit to make decisions.

What is needed now are immediate responses, the following process of improving the underlying problems will take years if not decades.

JMB

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:

I'm more centre-right myself (economically anyway, socially I'm left-wing) but I have wandered whether this would drive people who aren't normally on the right of the political spectrum to the right of the political spectrum.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Everyone's getting in on the looting now. :(

C5XQm.gif

Manager

boris feinbrand said:
ah a classic.gif. Wasn't that posted allready in this very thread yesterday?

A couple of times, but that's the case for more or less all images in this thread. Impossible to keep up with such a big thread anyway.

A Battle Royale TV show starring our rioting friends would make both parties happy. The disenfranchised get:
-fame
-to act out their pew-pew fantasies
-the chance to win a dream holiday

The public get:
-a great reality TV show
-quiet streets
-to see the surprise on the winner's face when the host (possibly SmokeyDave) informs them that there's in fact no holiday, but instead the entire population of the UK is lined up, ready to kick them in the bollocks.

mokeyjoe

remnant said:
What did Thatcher do that forced families to split up? That caused the rise of those on benefits.

The destruction and devaluation of traditional working class occupations and their rplacement with low-level service sector work. Policies designed to create a homogonised, sanitised middle England simply pushed many 'blue-collar' workers into a welfare supported underclass whose self-respect was gradually crushed. These are their kids and grandkids.

glaringradio said:
It's a valid comparison if every welfare system in every country is exactly the same. You've just said yourself that Scandinavia has a welfare system which works, which is fantastic and everything, but the welfare system in the UK (in my opinion) is one which breeds laziness and a false sense of entitlement. Fuck most people I know who are on unemployment benefits are youngsters who use their dole money to cover their drink and drugs whilst their mum buys all their food. The only people I know on it who are legitimately trying to get out of the system and back into employment fucking hate being on it because of the label which comes with it.

However our welfare system is much more generous than the English one. You can get benefits for everything almost in Norway and I am pretty positive that there are more loop holes than in England. Then I ask why do we still have committed youths working, and one of the highest participation when it comes working population. We have problems with too many people being too "sick" to work, which is of course an effect of the right to be sick and not be forced to work. There are many people slacking on the benefits especially among first generation immigrants, that is one of the challenges within the welfare state but it doesn't mean it doesn't help or is broken. I have had several classes on Welfare states and I would say the English one resembles more the Norwegian one, opposed to the work related welfare of other European countries.

You got even rights for grants without being a Norwegian citizen.

I won't disagree that the English way of handling the welfare system goes wrong, but my point is that Welfare systems that are very helpful to those unfortunate can work in a country. It depends more on how the government organizes it and the morals of the people.

Metal B

marvelharvey said:
A Battle Royale TV show starring our rioting friends would make both parties happy. The disenfranchised get:
-fame
-to act out their pew-pew fantasies
-the chance to win a dream holiday

The public get:
-a great reality TV show
-quiet streets
-to see the surprise on the winner's face when the host (possibly SmokeyDave) informs them that there's in fact no holiday, but instead the entire population of the UK is lined up, ready to kick them in the bollocks.

omgggg.png

Salazar

mokeyjoe said:
The destruction and devaluation of traditional working class occupations and their rplacement with low-level service sector work.

Scargill & Co were more more to blame than Thatcher with respect to the Miner's Strike. Even my Grandad, lungs full of coal dust, reckons that much.

There's also no bloody way a whole bunch of those working class occupations were tenable into the 90s and 21st century.

My dad's pretty big in the Asian community and he's been on the phone with some people in Birmingham pleading for non-violent response to the murders last night. There is a lot of anger in the Asian community at the mindless killing of the three boys last night and there are people who are arming themselves with guns, knives and anything they can find and many are out for blood. If the government don't control this in Birmingham it could turn very nasty.

One of the community leaders there said the young people want to raid the council estates in the day and destroy the looters and their homes and he was having a tough time convincing them not to take matters into their own hands. He said that he has never seen them so incensed before and it is an unholy alliance of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs who want to destroy the estates and looters.

I don't want to see any more bloodshed in the Asian community, but the way things are now with the police standing around doing fuck all (GMP excepted) I can see the violence escalate. Please Mr Cameron, come to your senses, enact the Civil Contingencies Act, authorise the police to use deadly force against the looters, bring order and peace back to our streets.

Meus Renaissance said:
Lol to be honest they may not have been involved with the looting at all.

There was a chopper up ahead, that gave the groundforces instructions. You can clearly see that the riot police was running to intercept them way before the youths on the bikes came into their viewfield.

I'd suspect the chopper was keeping an eye on them for a while.

zomgbbqftw said:
My dad's pretty big in the Asian community and he's been on the phone with some people in Birmingham pleading for non-violent response to the murders last night. There is a lot of anger in the Asian community at the mindless killing of the three boys last night and there are people who are arming themselves with guns, knives and anything they can find and many are out for blood. If the government don't control this in Birmingham it could turn very nasty.

One of the community leaders there said the young people want to raid the council estates in the day and destroy the looters and their homes and he was having a tough time convincing them not to take matters into their own hands. He said that he has never seen them so incensed before and it is an unholy alliance of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs who want to destroy the estates and looters.

I don't want to see any more bloodshed in the Asian community, but the way things are now with the police standing around doing fuck all (GMP excepted) I can see the violence escalate. Please Mr Cameron, come to your senses, enact the Civil Contingencies Act, authorise the police to use deadly force against the looters, bring order and peace back to our streets.
So they're going to go nuts and murder people who probably had nothing to do with the acts?

zomgbbqftw said:

Bloodlust. Bringing religions together since the beginning of time.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Please Mr Cameron, come to your senses, enact the Civil Contingencies Act, authorise the police to use deadly force against the looters, bring order and peace back to our streets.

Whats that like Martial Law or whatever?

Curfew of 9pm, anyone outside get shot to shit with rubber bullets would be alright imo.

Manager

storafötter said:
What happened since tonight, if someone could give me a bit of an update. Murder?

Two or three Asians run over by a car in Birmingham. 40 something cars lit on fire in Manchester. Shik's defending their gold by beating up people coming close with bats and knives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom