• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
IamMikeside said:
There's really no denying that the shooting (why have you put that in quotes? They shot him and that isn't up for debate, it's a fact - it's the moments surrounding it that's murky) sparked it.

Whether they actually care about the shooting or not (they don't) is irrelevant. It sparked the chain of events.
The shooting is irrelevant. There is no justification for any of the disgusting behaviour exhibited by the looters.

The poor old disenfranchised youth fighting for a cause excuse... is bullshit. They're mindless animals with no self-control who are out for themselves first and if no one will give them what they want then the rest of the world can burn.

But yeah... let's go hug a hoody.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Every time i see a chav now I'm going to stare them down.

Its been to long we have been living in fear our stand is now.

Walshicus

Clearly both carrot and stick are needed. We need to be better as a society at including these people, and we need to be tougher as a society in punishing them.

The poor old disenfranchised youth fighting for a cause... is bullshit. They're mindless animals with no self-control, who are out for themselves first.
An entire class of people can't be waved away as "just animals". They're animals and shits *because* they're disenfranchised, and they're disenfranchised because we've been neither firm nor particularly attentive.

Furret

Banned
IamMikeside said:
There's really no denying that the shooting (why have you put that in quotes? They shot him and that isn't up for debate, it's a fact - it's the moments surrounding it that's murky) sparked it.

Whether they actually care about the shooting or not (they don't) is irrelevant. It sparked the chain of events.

The shooting didn't spark events, the police reaction to the protest sparked it.

By implying that any of the looters care about the shooting (or were even aware of it) once again sees you trying apply an air of justification and legitimacy to the action of the looters.

It was the weakness of the police that was the catalyst, what they were specifically being weak about at the time is completely irrelevant.

The mere fact that looters hundreds of miles away, who could not possibly have known or cared who Dugan was, immediately started looting as well is proof of this.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
"BBC reporter at Highbury Magistrates Courttells BBC 5 live the first person who appeared in the dock this morning was a 31-year-old teacher called Alexis Bailey. She pleaded guilty to being part of the looting of the Richer Sounds store in Croydon."

A teacher? WTF?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Napoleonthechimp said:
Oh, right... the "shooting"? They don't give a fuck. All the looters saw the police doing nothing and other people getting "free stuff" and being the sociopaths that they are they demanded the same.

1. Don't put shooting in quotes, unless you're actually insinuating that there was no such thing, in which case everyone will join in mocking you mercilessly. There was a shooting, and trying to dismiss it through cheap rhetorical tricks doesn't do you any favours.

2. The things that you're claiming sparked the riots have been present for a hell of a long time without causing riots. They're part of the underlying cause, but they're demonstrably not a spark for the situation we're seeing now. Your position is similar to that of someone claiming that an explosion at a petrol station was sparked by all the petrol lying around, not the "lit match" that someone dropped on it. Nobody's claiming that opportunism, a sense of entitlement (though that's a hideously overused phrase) and the like aren't part of the cause. Just that they aren't what sparked the riots.

3. I don't care if they give a fuck. It's not relevant. The shooting was what set this off. It's not a direct cause for a lot of the shits out there looting now, of course. But like you say, they're reacting to what they've seen happening as a response to the initial protests against the shooting. And it should be pretty obvious to anyone that more shootings aren't going to help calm the situation.

Kentpaul

Sir Fragula said:
Clearly both carrot and stick are needed. We need to be better as a society at including these people, and we need to be tougher as a society in punishing them.

Chavs don't bother about going to prison, if anything it elevates there street reputation, you can't punish these people.

iapetus said:
1. Don't put shooting in quotes, unless you're actually insinuating that there was no such thing. There was a shooting, and trying to dismiss it through cheap rhetorical tricks doesn't do you any favours.

2. The things that you're claiming sparked the riots have been present for a hell of a long time without causing riots. They're part of the underlying cause, but they're demonstrably not a spark for the situation we're seeing now. Your position is similar to that of someone claiming that an explosion at a petrol station was sparked by all the petrol lying around, not the "lit match" that someone dropped on it. Nobody's claiming that opportunism, a sense of entitlement (though that's a hideously overused phrase) and the like aren't part of the cause. Just that they aren't what sparked the riots.

3. I don't care if they give a fuck. It's not relevant. The shooting was what set this off. It's not a direct cause for a lot of the shits out there looting now, of course. But like you say, they're reacting to what they've seen happening as a response to the initial protests against the shooting. And it should be pretty obvious to anyone that more shootings aren't going to help calm the situation.
I will not even entertain the shooting excuse.

Nice common sense message for us in the west midlands.

http://twitter.com/#!/SuptPayneWMP

SuptPayneWMP Mark Payne
Shops are open in Wolverhampton, show the local shopkeepers your support
3 minutes ago

Salazar

Napoleonthechimp said:
I will not even entertain the shooting excuse.

Subtract the shooting, and the likelihood of events occurring in remotely the fashion or degree that they did drops to pretty much zero.

It is bizarre that riots of this magnitude issued from that point, but they did issue from it.

Funky Papa said:
It's undeniably true that most if not all of the bleeding hearts asking for compassion and understanding come from the pampered left.

Nope, I would disagree with that. There is evidence to suggest a difference of thinking depending on the socio economic status of a community. People in Hackney and Tottenham were - without condoning the looting - unsurprised. They listed various possible explanations ranging from poverty to police tensions. They were able to understand it as having underlying causes. Then when people from Battersea or less deprived areas were interviewed, the looters were described as 'mindless thugs'.

That survey above is London-wide, but if you took it in each borough I'm almost certain you will see a trend pop up in attitude and opinions depending on which area you ask. The 'liberals', or at least the ones talking, are perhaps the ones involved directly with working with these communities so they naturally share those opinions.

Ark said:
The problem isn't in the people and it isn't in the riots, or even the police.

There's a fundamental problem with society that has just been growing and growing for years, and it'll take even longer to fix it.

Read this thread enough and apparently it's sub-human scum who just want to loot, with nothing inbetween their ears!

iapetus said:
Did you see that Tottenham have signed a new Italian striker, Grabatelli?

They're topical, but they're not good.

Even the mods are at it :'(!!

Is there a transcript to what Killa Cam said? At work at the mo

mokeyjoe

SmokyDave said:
The left birthed this baby and it's time that the right retro-actively aborted it.

No, this 'baby' is the direct result of Thatcherite attitudes of greed and self-interest spiralled out of control. It was the unintended product of a right wing fantasy and the current right wing government has again proven to be incapable of dealing with it.

Until a culture develops that isn't focussed on the gathering of wealth and possesions with a complete disregard for others and is instead is focussed on shared values and shared social responsibility then we will continue to suffer from the results of this misguided ethos from both the top and bottom of society.

Walshicus

SmokyDave said:
The government in England is totally ineffective regardless of political leanings. Doesn't change the fact that I believe the right wing could solve this whilst the left wing leafs through the Guardian looking for socio-political explanations to excuse these poor, misunderstood people.

The left birthed this baby and it's time that the right retro-actively aborted it.
And while you might blame "the left", how does that synch with the fact that the same underclass also exists in right-wing America? The Americans have the largest prison population in the first world, an extremely aggressive police force and you'd be mad to suggest they're better for it.

Furret

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
Nope, I would disagree with that. There is evidence to suggest a difference of thinking depending on the socio economic status of a community. People in Hackney and Tottenham were - without condoning the looting - unsurprised. They listed various possible explanations ranging from poverty to police tensions. They were able to understand it as having underlying causes. Then when people from Battersea or less deprived areas were interviewed, the looters were described as 'mindless thugs'.

That survey above is London-wide, but if you took it in each borough I'm almost certain you will see a trend pop up in attitude and opinions depending on which area you ask. The 'liberals', or at least the ones talking, are perhaps the ones involved directly with working with these communities so they naturally share those opinions.

This may very well have been the reasons, but they are not in any way sympathetic. These people are not poor like people in East Africa are poor. They do not suffer from harsh policing practises like people in North Korea do.

They do not suffer at all. The fact that, through their own laziness, they do not have quite as much as other people in England is not worthy of sympathy.

We do not need to understand them, they need to understand us.

And at the moment the primary tool for education is a baton round to the face.

V_Arnold

iapetus said:
Or, apparently, read.

It isn't an excuse.

But that IS an excuse. Nothing more.
Nothing that happened to someone that is not related to YOU justifies YOU running amok, looting, stealing and creating a mess.
Nothing.

Especially when YOU are hurting other people's properties in the process.

(by "you", I do not mean you, but anyone who is amongst the looters.)

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Salazar said:
Subtract the shooting, and the likelihood of events occurring in remotely the fashion or degree that they did drops to pretty much zero.

It is bizarre that riots of this magnitude issued from that point, but they did issue from it.

Bingo. Although it's not that bizarre that riots of this magnitude issued from that point, at least partly for the reasons that he's claiming sparked the riot. Those underlying problems damn well need to be addressed, but shooting more people is more likely to spark more riots than help the situation.

V_Arnold said:
Nothing that happened to someone that is not related to YOU justifies YOU running amok, looting, stealing and creating a mess.
Nothing.

And now you'll be wanting to point out where I (or anyone) said that it does.

It's a common misconception in threads about social issues (for reasons that I've never been able to get to grips with) that explaining something counts as excusing it. Nobody's saying that a police shooting - unjustified or not - excuses rioting. Just that without that shooting we wouldn't have these riots right now.

SmokyDave

mokeyjoe said:
No, this 'baby' is the direct result of Thatcherite attitudes of greed and self-interest spiralled out of control. It was the product of a right wing fantasy and the current right wing government has again proven to be incapable of dealing with it.

Until a culture develops that isn't focussed on the gathering of wealth and possesions with a complete disregard for others and is instead is focussed on shared values and shared social responsibility then we will continue to suffer from the results of this misguided ethos from both the top and bottom of society.
These kids wouldn't even exist if we hadn't paid for them. I want to know how many have employed parents and I want to know how many have absent fathers. I bet the percentages would be utterly staggering.

Sir Fragula said:
And while you might blame "the left", how does that synch with the fact that the same underclass also exists in right-wing America? The Americans have the largest prison population in the first world, an extremely aggressive police force and you'd be mad to suggest they're better for it.
Totally, completely and utterly different kettle of fish.

In the long run, I want to see a left-wing approach, don't get me wrong. Targetting the right help at the right people is essential for a healthy and happy society. Not everyone can do it on their own, I do appreciate that.

But that comes after we send a strong message that this will never, ever be tolerated again. That's where the right comes in.

More Fun To Compute said:
Well, I'd be a bit daft to argue with that. I graciously concede that this is a child of mixed parentage. It still needs aborting.

Vagabundo

SmokyDave said:
The government in England is totally ineffective regardless of political leanings. Doesn't change the fact that I believe the right wing could solve this whilst the left wing leafs through the Guardian looking for socio-political explanations to excuse these poor, misunderstood people.

And how would you solve it Dave?

Salazar

V_Arnold said:

Only for the purposes of provisionally inhabiting the perspective of a mouthy, violent yob.

From another, more worthwhile perspective, it is a stimulus.

Sir Fragula said:
We pay a lot less in taxes. I could care less that we have a lot of people in prisons.

Carcetti

The solution to the problem in my view is easy vaguely in theory but harder of course in practice. However:

Short term: right wing solution, crack down hard with the police, baton rounds in the face style. Society cannot function like this.

Long term: erase the semi-Thatcherite status quo the country's been sliding to and using left wing style politics, try not to create an underclass with nothing to lose.

As I said though, easier said than done.

Dead Man

SmokyDave said:
Bottom line for me is, there are a lot of disenfranchised people with nothing to look forward to that we need to take care of. These scum are not those people.
These scum are not a very high percentage of the population though. I'm all for punishing them, but to arbitrarily paint all poor people as scum does no one any good.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
We pay a lot less in taxes. I could care less that we have a lot of people in prisons.
So as long as you don't pay much in tax, you don't care about anyone else in your country? What a great approach to life!

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
SmokyDave said:
In the long run, I want to see a left-wing approach, don't get me wrong. Targetting the right help at the right people is essential for a healthy and happy society. Not everyone can do it on their own, I do appreciate that.

But that comes after we send a strong message that this will never, ever be tolerated again. That's where the right comes in.

You've been listening to too many US politicians. There's no reason that the left has to be ineffectual when it comes to this sort of thing. In fact some far-left governments (in name, at least) have been very effective at laying the smack down on anyone deemed to be insufficiently compliant with their particular version of left-wing thinking.

Vagabundo

SmokyDave said:
9pm curfew and live rounds. If the looters escalate at that point, it's time for the army.

mmm right, put the kettle back on boil then.. You're really asking for the situation to escalate. You know that's how the IRA formed right?

Prine

Banned
Mecha_Infantry said:
I'm sure one of the riots/looters would give back something they stole. We're talking on a much larger scale

What the post you quoted at has given me an idea of whats been happening. On my FB (I've had to delete people) on the news and here has shown an elitist view on what's happening. People talking about killing kids, etc, all probably posting from their Apple devices and plush homes.

I know people always think that their tracksuits and stuff mean that they aren't living in poverty, but let me tell you that means nothing. It's dole money. It's not the VAULE of their clothes, it's the means of getting them0 non-working parents, probably un-educated, etc.

I still think the government needs to listen to the kids. Even if they say "it's the government, innit", then ask them WHY. There is a reason why they do this. It's not mindless, these kids aren't dumb, they aren't stupid. There is something systematically wrong with their generation, but no one wants to know why, everyone wants to just condemn them to be mindless stupid, chavvy kids.

All I can say I hope now some of you brave behind the screen warriors who call for blood for the Duggan kids, some of the kids looting need to get a grip. None(a small amount maybe) of you might not have the mentality of these pups, so it's easy to condemn them, but for me as someone from Wood Green (next to Tottenham/Hackney) I know what it's like to grow up like that. Luckily my mother, sister and brother helped guide me, but that's hardly happening now

The kids doing this shit were wrong, they need to get punished, but don't vilify them, forgive up on them. Help the parents and the family, give them something to look forward to. They're fucking kids...

I cant agree with this. The government might share some of the blame but the Parents should bare most. Its up to them to bring up their kids not the government, they simply open doors and provide options. Schools, work groups, security and jobs. If these kids choose not to see options or dismiss it due to effort required then the only people to blame are the individuals that hold that attitude. There's always help available to nurture productivity.

But from what i've witnessed these kids simply hang about on corners and park benches, unenthusiastic about working or studying. If they did, they'd realize "Its the government" is a fictional position perpetuated by the lazy to justify their ineptitude.

V_Arnold

Salazar said:
Only for the purposes of provisionally inhabiting the perspective of a mouthy, violent yob.

From another, more worthwhile perspective, it is a stimulus.

And by that, you mean it is a stimulus for an already extremely easily triggerable, moralless youth? Yeah, it can also be a stimulus for those. As clearly presented. But we have law enforcement exactly for situations like this: "eye for an eye" does not translate into the right of wrecking havoc like this for something that one considers unjust.

Kentpaul

SmokyDave said:
9pm curfew and live rounds. If the looters escalate at that point, it's time for the army.

Keeping Innocent people who want to go for a 10 o'clock jog in there houses..

Fucking with people freedoms FTL

the only way is Dye in water cannons, fuck there expensive clothing up.

its the only way.

Napoleonthechimp said:
The shooting is irrelevant. There is no justification for any of the disgusting behaviour exhibited by the looters.

The poor old disenfranchised youth fighting for a cause excuse... is bullshit. They're mindless animals with no self-control who are out for themselves first and if no one will give them what they want then the rest of the world can burn.

But yeah... let's go hug a hoody.

Un-fucking-believable.

What if i said your the animal? Who lacks the intelligence and empathy to realise that cumulative generations of people growing up and living with the rest of society telling them this (bolded) and worse are going to act just like that.
Its a monster everyone who is not them has let fester, and it can only be slain with compassion not further hate.

I have a nice sweet solution. If they throw something at you, throw something back of the same equivalency. If they break into your store, you break into their home and steal their clothes etc.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Kentpaul said:
the only way is Dye in water cannons, fuck there expensive clothing up.

its the only way.

Water cannons don't work in this sort of situation. It's been pointed out time and time again by people who know.

Paintball guns is a fucking awesome suggestion made by someone earlier in this thread, though. I suggest loading them with a special dye that stains like buggery and smells of human faeces.

As for fucking up their expensive clothes, who cares? They're just off to loot some more, innit?

SmokyDave

iapetus said:
You've been listening to too many US politicians. There's no reason that the left has to be ineffectual when it comes to this sort of thing. In fact some far-left governments (in name, at least) have been very effective at laying the smack down on anyone deemed to be insufficiently compliant with their particular version of left-wing thinking.
I make a point of ignoring US politics because it drains my faith in humanity. Even GAF exposes me to too much of that nonsense. Thank god none of our politicians have suggested praying to end these riots, I'd have had a stroke.

As for there being no reason for the left being ineffective, that may be the case but they're still ineffective.

remnant

Banned
NinjaTehFish said:
Un-fucking-believable.

What if i said your the animal? Who lacks the intelligence and empathy to realise that cumulative generations of people growing up and living with the rest of society telling them this (bolded) and worse are going to act just like that.
Its a monster everyone who is not them has let fester, and it can only be slain with compassion not further hate.
These are people on government dole. I think they have compassion already from the public whose stores they are looting.

Salazar

V_Arnold said:
And by that, you mean it is a stimulus for an already extremely easily triggerable, moralless youth? Yeah, it can also be a stimulus for those. As clearly presented.

Yup.

I'm only preferring words like "stimulus" because I mean to defend the proposition that these riots, while chaotic and rife with apparent motivelessness, did in a rather strong technical sense, and in a less strong but still substantial practical sense, have a cause.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
SmokyDave said:
As for there being no reason for the left being ineffective, that may be the case but they're still ineffective.

So you should be looking for an effective left, not a vicious right followed by an ineffective left.

Furret

Banned
NinjaTehFish said:
Un-fucking-believable.

It could be slain in a number of other ways: rubber bullets, watercannons, live ammo, national service, forced labour, eugenics...

If a single extra penny of tax payers money is spent on placating these feral scum it'll be a travesty and the government will pay for it at the next election.

Kikarian

spiderman123 said:
I have a nice sweet solution. If they throw something at you, throw something back of the same equivalency. If they break into your store, you break into their home and steal their clothes etc.
It will then become a never ending process then.
People will just keep trying to retaliate.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
NinjaTehFish said:
cumulative generations of people growing up and living with the rest of society telling them this (bolded) and worse are going to act just like that.

It's a combination of that and a welfare system that at certain (common) levels actively discourages work. And, of course, a metric fuckton of other stuff. Looking for one or two simplistic reasons for this sort of clusterfuck is always going to be a mistake.

Salazar

SmokyDave said:
Thank god none of our politicians have suggested praying to end these riots, I'd have had a stroke.

Tony would have

a) Had that idea
b) Had the ego to conceive that his prayer alone could get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom