• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Excellency said:
No, you're wrong.

The liberals (of which I am a card-carrying member, literally), are coming on tv talking about austerity measures and cuts and that has jack shit to do with this. Jack shit.

Michael Gove bitchslapping Harriet Harman on Newsnight yesterday was a delight. Luckily Ed Miliband hasn't started going on about austerity measures yet, as far as I know. But he needs to keep his party in line. If they need to politicise it so bad, they need to put all of their efforts on making this is a story about the impending police cuts, not on the effect that austerity measures will have on the working class.
Of course they have something to do with. That alone isn't the reason it's happening, but didn't you see the clip of the girls claiming they were doing it because of the rich and the government and the Tories etc.? People are angry. An element of the current government's actions have furled it. This isn't a justification.

Deku said:
So basically, a night mob that keep regular hours.

This makes them even more pathetic in comparison to the democracy activists who actually have to occupy squares under threat of military action.

There was a piece yesterday about Egyptian protesters blogging about these protests as a joke and not worthy of evne passing comparison to their movements.
That's because this isn't activist action, they're not protesting anything, there is no 'movement', so the two things are not even comparable

MLH

I like how the BBC have changed the header to "England riots" from "UK riots", don't want to anger the Scottish or Welsh we have enough rioting on our hands.

Pookmunki

radioheadrule83 said:
Fuck off. I do blame them. I blame them, their shitty parents, their shitty attitudes, and their moronic peer groups pouring their time and egos into being 'bad men' or whatever. Its fucking pathetic. And I blame people like you going out of your way to blame EVERYONE ELSE, to blame society, for THEIR acts, THEIR choices. We have had three decades or more of trying to find ways to care and nurture for this over-privileged underclass of scally thugs, none of this leftist, flowery bullshit works. We have to tell them what is and isn't acceptable in our society and ENFORCE it. Waxing philosophical about the 'roots' of the problem is self-masturbatory nonsense that over-intellectualises the psychology and the thought processes of these people. They are a mob. A mindless, unsympathetic, heartless, self-interested mob of GIANT DICK HEADS.
So true, anyone from the gutter can conttribute to society, most feel above mopping the floors in McDonalds due to delusions of grandeur.

If all aroound you are scabbing a living, how do you know any other way to live? My dad worked damn hard manual labour to provide for his family and this mentality has trickled down to me, so easy to seee the opposite end of the spectrum being true also.

I kind of have a question. I saw that in the London riots, most of the rioters were black. Now I find it a bit weird that all of the scum/chavs in London just so happen to be black. It seems sort of strange. Is there a reason for this? I honestly think there is some other factor at play other than them not caring about working. Has there really been full outreach to them?

I have read that minority outreach and retention has failed to meet goals set by the government in many areas such as the police force. Just looking at the people who hold the positions of power in government show that they are basically white. Reading about how very few blacks are let into top schools like Oxford even though some of them have high scores also seems quite discriminatory.

What I am basically asking is are there really the same opportunities for black youth londeners compared to white youth londeners?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Your Excellency said:
Michael Gove bitchslapping Harriet Harman on Newsnight yesterday was a delight.
there was a moment about five minutes into that debate where i had a sudden and deathly cold realization that i was agreeing with michael fucking gove.

of all the ills the last few days has brought, that might be the worst of them.

gerg

radioheadrule83 said:
Fuck off. I do blame them. I blame them, their shitty parents, their shitty attitudes, and their moronic peer groups pouring their time and egos into being 'bad men' or whatever. Its fucking pathetic. And I blame people like you going out of your way to blame EVERYONE ELSE, to blame society, for THEIR acts, THEIR choices. We have had three decades or more of trying to find ways to care and nurture for this over-privileged underclass of scally thugs, none of this leftist, flowery bullshit works. We have to tell them what is and isn't acceptable in our society and ENFORCE it. Waxing philosophical about the 'roots' of the problem is self-masturbatory nonsense that over-intellectualises the psychology and the thought processes of these people. They are a mob. A mindless, unsympathetic, heartless, self-interested mob of GIANT DICK HEADS.

I'm going to enjoy the irony that in this post itself you are waxing philosophical about the roots of the problem.

Pookmunki said:
So true, anyone from the gutter can conttribute to society, most feel above mopping the floors in McDonalds due to delusions of grandeur.

If all aroound you are scabbing a living, how do you know any other way to live? My dad worked damn hard manual labour to provide for his family and this mentality has trickled down to me, so easy to seee the opposite end of the spectrum being true also.

You seem to be implying that people who are born in a bad area, go to shitty school and don't do well don't deserve to have hopes and dreams to be sucessful? Or that anything more than working at McDonalds would be delusions on grandeur?

Bull

Shit.

Wrestlemania said:
That'll make everything better and help ensure nothing like this ever happens again! Great plan.
It's not my job to make sure it doesn't happen again, I simply could not give a fuck for the welfare of these scumbags, let them suffer.

Bleepey

Twinduct said:
Complete the blank:
So the Enfield army is out to save their girlfriends/ kids from the ______

Then again, I'm not really part of this, although no stranger to violent protest-gone-rioting.

Dave, strangely enough I can completely relate with you on this issue. Even here in SA, where being white is a minority, there is little to no real community. There is a community for White Afrikaans People, but they tend to be associated with a party that is known to be racist.

So there is no real middle ground effort. just the extremes.

I thought the DA was the white party.

neutralgamer02, the people rioting are not just black. There are high populations of black people in under-privileged areas in London certainly, and of course - Britain not being a perfect meritocracy - they do not have the same opportunities as some of the toffs who come from better areas of the country. However, London is a huge multicultural melting pot, and the people rioting are certainly not exclusively black. The riots have spread to other parts of the country with completely different ethnic dynamics, so trust me -- outside of those concerned with the Mark Duggan case, these people are not acting out of any concern for race relations or their social prospects. They have been thieving and damaging things just because they can.

stufte

Subliminal said:
You seem to be implying that people who are born in a bad area, go to shitty school and don't do well don't deserve to have hopes and dreams to be sucessful? Or that anything more than working at McDonalds would be delusions on grandeur?

Bull

Shit.

Wow, you read a whole lot into that. I think what he's trying to say is that people can have hopes and dreams, but that doesn't mean that you say fuck you to a job at McD's because you think you're going to be a famous musician. Baby steps.

BlazingDarkness said:
It's not my job to make sure it doesn't happen again, I simply could not give a fuck for the welfare of these scumbags, let them suffer.
You are definitely an idiot and you have no right to complain if measures like this go ahead and further rioting happens on the back of it.

Dakota47

juBUg.png

Subliminal said:

Bull

Shit.
Nobody is stopping them from setting higher goals. But it's just annoying that people seem to think they deserve the best jobs without doing any work. Start at the bottom. Work at McDonalds, set money aside, go to school and get a better job.

marrec

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
I'll be straight with you, man. I do not for one minute think there is anything genetically or inevitably wrong with people -- every single person on Earth has the capacity to be good. Everyone. I am not distancing myself from these people in any way, either.

I know from experience what these people are like because I have both been among them, been one of them, and been a victim to them. I wasn't from one of the worst places in Liverpool, but when I was in this age group that these kids are now, I did all sorts of bad shit. I was present when a friend burned down an old abandoned church, we stole from shops, we damaged property, we broke into a bistro and stole alcohol.. we used to organise and attend massive kick offs and fights with rival schools. The instigators of that kind of activity in our group were not impoverished, they were never acting on subconscious impulses or out of anger, it was like a game - pushing boundaries - seeing how far can you go in order to get "a legger" (get chased by someone), or attract the attention of the police. We'd do things just to find out what we could get away with. It would give you a shocking or funny story to tell all of your mates and all of the girls you know. In a sense, it was for dumb-shit bravado, it was a game of one upsmanship, trying to impress each other with how bad you could be.

We knew what we were doing, we knew how wrong it was, we knew we'd get away with it. That's the bottom line. We wouldn't have gotten away with this... and we wouldn't have set fire to occupied buildings or peoples' cars. Even the biggest scals don't want to be murderers if they can help it. We wouldn't have trashed the entirety of our own neighbourhoods either. We were pushing the boundaries when I was 16, but the boundaries have been pushed so far outside the norm, things have so evidently worsened: you can go very fucking far before you attract the attention of the police and you can get away with a lot indeed.

Now, in Tottenham or Hackney, if you're a young black man and you get stopped and searched without cause, or you hear of peers who do - and the whole area generally distrusts police... if you're from a high-rise block of flats, you're failing in school and your parents may as well just not be there -- then of course that is going to feed into who you are and how you act. But even from Saturday, look at the very first day of riots -- these are not just young angry black men, it is young men of all colours and creeds. They rode around on their bikes in reasonably expensive shell-suits and jewelry, organising themselves on smart phones. It spread quickly to other cities were other chavs joined in the fun. This is not a generation of people in hardship, it is a generation of people with CHOICES, deliberately choosing to go out and smash, and rob, and steal, and to hurt people and hurt businesses. Get any Youtube video of the situation on the ground and you will see people laughing, enjoying it, plundering everything they can lay their hands on... and the police just standing by, letting it happen. A physical manifestation of our justice system's complete and utter impotence. We have gone SO SOFT, so far left of rational, that our young people KNOW that they can do this and reap little consequence. At least in the short term.

What needs to be brought back is a sense that crime doesn't pay. JUSTICE. CONSEQUENCES. Whereas I feel ashamed of things I was involved in in the past, I get the sense that these kids won't be... because its paying out for them. They're getting new gear. Living with impunity.

Look at how rife it is up and down the country. What have we done to ourselves?
We have been TOO SOFT. That's it, honestly. I can guarantee you that if you clamped down, and defined the boundaries more clearly, the law would be better followed. If you stopped over intellectualising what they do, and stopped making excuses for them, they'd have a real sense of having less support and understanding in the event that they get caught. And finally, if you punish them, inconvenience them -- make it easier and more convenient to be law abiding and to integrate into everyday society -- their numbers will dwindle.

Man, great post.

First, I am not trying to make excuses for these people. Far from it. I agree that the criminal justice system is perhaps too soft to be able to deal with this kind of massive explosion of criminality. I don't think a single looter or rioter who damaged property, hurt someone, or attempted to do either should be let go with a bit of admonishment and a pat on the back. Punishment should be harsh and unequivocal.

We, as normal and moral society, don't just let you idiots do this stupid shit.

Being someone who grew up in the plains of New Mexico in a trailer with my Mom who tried her best to provide for four punk kids on the salary of a Janitor at a school with only 300 students. Before that was living with my deadbeat drunk of a father who lived off the government and most days couldn't be bothered to feed his four punk kids. I understand what it takes to claw your way out of that position in society. I can see how an amoral and downright destructive attitude can be nurtured in this type of youth. But I don't excuse it and never will.

All I want is to put comments like 'These are all vermin and should be treated as such' into prespective. We are all angry now and want retribution for their actions... but lets not forget that unless we as a society do something, in 20 years there will be another group of youth that are products of this first group who will perhaps do something worse. If that means we move to the Right and strip them of benefits and are okay with them rotting in jail for the majority of their life because they see no viable opportunity... so be it, but lets not ignore the causes for there being an underclass in the first place.

Goron2000

best junior ever
radioheadrule83 said:
If you don't ask why they are like this, you will never solve the problem.

Wrestlemania said:
You are definitely an idiot and you have no right to complain if measures like this go ahead and further rioting happens on the back of it.
Whatever, I have no time for these scum who ruin neighbourhoods across the country, and I won't even pretend to empathise with them.

niz

FunkyPajamas said:
Classy move on Sony's part if you ask me.
Yep. I was really disgusted when i saw the video where the scums stole his stuff. Hopefully the police will find them and force them to face the consequences of their acts.

Pookmunki

Subliminal said:

Bull

Shit.
Quite the opposite actually - sorry if that didn't come across, I was more commenting on the stubborn refusal to take the first step to improving things themselves by starting at X and wanting to get to Y.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HEeflIh-08

Interviewer: “Does your family know you’re here?”
Teen #1: “No, no”
Interviewer: “Where do they think you are?”
Teen #1 “Just out”
Teen #2 “I told my nan I’m here. She said ‘get home, you’ll get in trouble’. I said ‘no’. Just put the phone down”
Interviewer: “So your parents know you’re here?”
Teen #2 “Yeah, but they can’t get into town. They can’t get me. And when I get home, nothing going to happen to me. I’m not going to get grounded or shouted at. Well, I might get shouted at, but, that’s it. I can live with that.”

Interviewer: “If you get caught, you’ll have a criminal record.”
Teen #1: “Nah, this’ll be my first offence. I haven’t been in trouble before, so I’m not really bothered… I’ll just get a caution. The prisons are overcrowded. What are they gonna do? Give me an ASBO? I’ll live with that.”

Little fucker needs to be tought a lesson in jail.

I seriously think my labour camp idea would work better than jail, it would b cheaper and you could house these idiots 50 to a room, if they kill each other it will be no loss to society.

marrec

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
Whatever, I have no time for these scum who ruin neighbourhoods across the country, and I won't even pretend to empathise with them.

So on the spectrum disorder of Empathy you are a 3 out of 8.

Got it.

Furret

Banned
Empty said:
welp better wrap it up academia, only personally obtained anecdotal evidence means anything.

Oh, sorry I missed his sourced link to academic statistics on deprived areas of London.

I just thought he was continuing his bleeding heart liberal wimp act and commenting on something he knew nothing about.

gerg

Furret said:
Oh, sorry I missed his sourced link to academic statistics on deprived areas of London.

Then why did you post "I thought you just said you were from Sheffield? How would you know?" instead of "Could you link to the statistics that support your conclusion?"?

I think you can see how the former comes off as a bit more of an ad hominem attack than the latter.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Furret said:

I just thought he was continuing his bleeding heart liberal wimp act and commenting on something he knew nothing about.
It doesn't take a genius to work out that black youths don't get the same opportunities as their white peers.

marrec

Banned
justjohn said:
Heard there's some black vs asian shit going down in birmingham tonite.

*facepalm+sigh*

Fuck it... I give up.

I officially give zomg the authority to come up with a solution.

Of the FINAL kind.

If you know what I mean...

Sneds said:
The short answer is no.

Fuck you. I went to a grammar school which was about 10-15% black, those kids had the same opportunities as me and they all have decent jobs now. The opportunities for every Londoner (bar the rich who send their kids to independent school) who goes to state sector is the same, if you don't take advantage of the opportunities given to you it is not the government's fault.

Blaming someone else for problems that these people have created for themselves is why we have such a large number of people dependent on benefits. Entitlement culture is fucked up, the world doesn't owe anyone a living, people have to work fucking hard to make sure they are equipped for the modern workplace.

I didn't get my job in finance by leaving school at 16 and signing onto the dole, my friend André (who is black) didn't get his job working in scientific research and development for the government by signing onto the dole either, we both worked fucking hard at school (and he used to live in the local estate) to make something of ourselves.

Empty

Furret said:

why don't you ask for a long answer then instead of sassing him for stupid reasons. i dislike this whole 'look at this idiot guardianista who isn't in touch with the streets response' as he could very easily have an understanding obtained from looking at a range of evidence and that's plenty valid.

zomgbbqftw said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...d&v=HEeflIh-08

Teen #1 “Just out”
Teen #2 “I told my nan I’m here. She said ‘get home, you’ll get in trouble’. I said ‘no’. Just put the phone down”
Teen #2 “Yeah, but they can’t get into town. They can’t get me. And when I get home, nothing going to happen to me. I’m not going to get grounded or shouted at. Well, I might get shouted at, but, that’s it. I can live with that.”

Teen #1: “Nah, this’ll be my first offence. I haven’t been in trouble before, so I’m not really bothered… I’ll just get a caution. The prisons are overcrowded. What are they gonna do? Give me an ASBO? I’ll live with that.”

I seriously think my labour camp idea would work better than jail, it would b cheaper and you could house these idiots 50 to a room, if they kill each other it will be no loss to society.

Link doesn't work, fam

Furret

Banned
gerg said:
Then why did you post "I thought you just said you were from Sheffield? How would you know?" instead of "Could you link to the statistics that support your conclusion?"?

Are you serious?

Because it was obvious he had neither anecdotal nor empirical evidence?

gerg

Furret said:
Are you serious?

Because it was obvious he had neither anecdotal nor empirical evidence?

OK, cool. I just think there's probably a better way to highlight this than through an ad hominem attack.

Trojan X

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HEeflIh-08

Teen #1 “Just out”

Double check the URL, please. I want to see this.

marrec said:
*facepalm+sigh*

Fuck it... I give up.

I officially give zomg the authority to come up with a solution.

Of the FINAL kind.

If you know what I mean...

Labour camps galore, put a massive JD Sports in there and then lock the gates!

marrec

Banned
justjohn said:
Apparently the zulus, edl, asians from other cities will be in the city.

anyway stay safe my black brothers.

Is it possible people are just spreading rumors in a time of turmoil because of latent racism?

radioheadrule83 said:
neutralgamer02, the people rioting are not just black. There are high populations of black people in under-privileged areas in London certainly, and of course - Britain not being a perfect meritocracy - they do not have the same opportunities as some of the toffs who come from better areas of the country. However, London is a huge multicultural melting pot, and the people rioting are certainly not exclusively black. The riots have spread to other parts of the country with completely different ethnic dynamics, so trust me -- outside of those concerned with the Mark Duggan case, these people are not acting out of any concern for race relations or their social prospects. They have been thieving and damaging things just because they can.

I didn't say that they were only black. I just said in particular the london riots, not other cities, were majority black. So, I was just pointing that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom