• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokyDave said:
Metaphorically, yes. Their mums are given £500 as a reward for having a functioning vagina when the child is born. It gets spent on fags, cider, chicken nuggets and tracksuits.

Don't forget the complimentary carton of Mayfair's.

evilwart said:
Well if you didn't know the exact country that they are from, you generally refer to people by their continent or group culture/ethnicity.
I would have thought more specific identity would take over, i.e. Indian over Asian

Twinduct

zomgbbqftw said:
Under Labour, but now they are given a £250 trust which only the child can access at age 18.

I'm slowly getting to why these people are rioting!
The tories stole their inheritance!!

Btw I feel its only fair, but all my knowledge of England is based on what Frank Gallagher taught me!

Detox said:
My own school was and probably still is 40% Black, 40% Turkish, 10% Asian and the rest a mix of Eastern Europeans and some White English people. There are a lot of opportunities up until the end of college and quite frankly if you don't take them you only got yourself to blame. It might be damn hard to achieve but you got to work to get out.

Exactly. I haven't spoken to André about this but I think he will feel insulted by hearing that black kids don't get the same opportunities. He speaks at a lot of inner London schools to any BME kid who will listen that their lives are in their hands, to stop blaming other people, they have the power to escape the estate. Work hard and the rewards will come.

SmokyDave

zomgbbqftw said:
Under Labour, but now they are given a £250 trust which only the child can access at age 18.
Are you sure? The Sure Start Maternity Grant still appears to be £500 according to DWP. Can't link, on phone at mo.

BlazingDarkness said:

The GMP doesn't mess around, do they have cross-training with Asian Riot Squads or a lot of Officer Chester Pak's and Sgt. Reginald Hwang's in the ranks. lol

Still one thing about this is I'm happy despite some shit attempts, this isn't being viewed as race or immigrants, in fact I think positive views may come out of this. People who helped protect British towns and property. I know most won't think that, but it should be a message people need to get out.

That said how are Sikh's viewed in England? I've always felt they've been one of the best groups to integrate into British society, both economical and socially. I mean it's not just some leftover from martial race units (as you don't see a bunch of Gurkhas with similar stats...granted thats because they get sent home at the end), even though the Sikh community tried to get one formed in the 80s and it was studied before it was felt it would violate Anti-Discrimination Laws.

Meus Renaissance said:
Tariq Jahan

+100 respect

Did you guys see that earlier?

Yeah, it was great. My dad has been on the phone all day trying to get the Indians not to riot, I think he got through to them by saying they will ruin their futures and it won't bring their these 3 lads back from the dead. These Asians are highly educated and motivated they have a lot to lose. I have a hope that the majority will stay in tonight.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
People are worried about schools being institutionally racist. While it's the job sector that does the most damage. And these people aren't even of age to be employed or of one race. So what's going on here.

SmokyDave said:
Are you sure? The Sure Start Maternity Grant still appears to be £500 according to DWP. Can't link, on phone at mo.

Maybe that hasn't passed yet, but it was in the coalition agreement. One of things I agreed with...

dc89

sorry if already posted but...

We all remember that kid who was mugged in London whilst he was holding his broken jaw, you know, some scum rifled through his back pack and stole some property.

Well it turns out he had his PSP and games stolen. Sony are replacing it, their UK marketing director has confirmed it.

Speaking on a site set up to “do something nice” for the youngster, SCEE marketing director Alan Duncan, said the firm would “like to give Ashraf a new PSP and games,” and asked to be put in touch with Haziq or a hospital at which he’s being treated.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/10/injured-boy-mugged-in-riot-to-have-psp-replaced-by-scee/

Well done Sony.

Edit: Similar to what Steviedisco posted above.

zomgbbqftw said:
Yeah, it was great. My dad has been on the phone all day trying to get the Indians not to riot, I think he got through to them by saying they will ruin their futures and it won't bring their these 3 lads back from the dead. These Asians are highly educated and motivated they have a lot to lose. I have a hope that the majority will stay in tonight.

That's the difference, look you can be poor, but you can still value education and a work ethic. It's not the oh pull up by bootstraps that people mentality complain about on the left. It's a desire to do better and for their children to live better and to use education and motivation to do it. It's the exact thing the scum rioting don't have.

soldat7

radioheadrule83 said:
I'll be straight with you, man. I do not for one minute think there is anything genetically or inevitably wrong with people -- every single person on Earth has the capacity to be good. Everyone. I am not distancing myself from these people in any way, either.

I know from experience what these people are like because I have both been among them, been one of them, and been a victim to them. I wasn't from one of the worst places in Liverpool, but when I was in this age group (around the same age that these looters are now), I did all sorts of bad shit. I was present when a friend burned down an old abandoned church. We stole from shops, we damaged property, we broke into a bistro and stole hundreds of pounds worth of alcohol. We used to organise and attend massive fights with rival schools. The instigators of that kind of activity in our group were not impoverished, they were never acting on subconscious impulses or out of anger, it was like a game - pushing boundaries - seeing how far can you go in order to get "a legger" (get chased by someone), or attract the attention of the police. We'd do things just to find out what we could get away with. It would give you a shocking or funny story to tell all of your mates and all of the girls you know. In a sense, it was for dumb-shit bravado, it was a game of one upsmanship, trying to impress each other with how bad you could be.

We knew what we were doing, we knew how wrong it was, we knew we'd get away with it. That's the bottom line. We wouldn't have gotten away with this... and we wouldn't have set fire to occupied buildings or peoples' cars. Even the biggest scals don't want to be murderers if they can help it. We wouldn't have trashed the entirety of our own neighbourhoods either. We were pushing the boundaries when I was 16, but the boundaries have been pushed so far outside the norm, things have so evidently worsened: you can go very fucking far before you attract the attention of the police and you can get away with a lot indeed.

I've visited many different cities in the UK, and I work in a different one now - and I do see how there is real inequality in Britain. I do see how its not a meritocracy. But I've met young chavs in different cities and they are no different to how we were in Liverpool. They function on the same primal level with the same desire to have fun, to be cool and to be liked. Their bad behaviour does not exist in a vacuum, but because we are so soft and touchy feely as a society, it goes unchallenged and it spreads and infects others through peer groups, through schools and through neighbourhoods... everyone turns a blind eye to it because they want to believe that their sons and daughters are little angels who wouldn't do any wrong without good reason. But that's just not the reality of things.

Now, in Tottenham or Hackney, if you're a young black man and you get stopped and searched without cause, you're gonna have grievances. If you hear of peers going through that, and the whole area generally distrusts police... you're gonna have grievances. If you're from a high-rise block of flats, you're failing in school and your parents may as well not be there -- then of course that is going to feed into who you are and how you act.

BUT -- look at the very first day of riots -- these are not just young angry black men, it is young men of all colours and creeds. They rode around on their bikes in reasonably expensive shell-suits and jewelry, organising themselves on smart phones. It spread quickly to other cities were other chavs joined in the fun. This is not a generation of people in hardship, it is a generation of people with CHOICES, deliberately choosing to go out and smash, and rob, and steal, and to hurt people and hurt businesses. Get any Youtube video of the situation on the ground and you will see people laughing, enjoying it, plundering everything they can lay their hands on... and the police just standing by, letting it happen. A physical manifestation of our justice system's complete and utter impotence. We have gone SO SOFT, so far left of rational, that our young people KNOW that they can do this and reap little consequence. At least in the short term.

What needs to be brought back is a sense that crime doesn't pay. JUSTICE. CONSEQUENCES. Whereas I feel ashamed of things I was involved in in the past, I get the sense that these kids won't be... because its paying out for them. They're getting new gear. Living with impunity.

Look at how rife this is up and down the country. What have we done to ourselves?

We have been TOO SOFT. That's it, honestly. I can guarantee you that if you clamped down, and defined the boundaries more clearly, the law would be better followed. If you stopped over intellectualising what they do, and stopped making excuses for them, they'd have a real sense of things. They'd know that if they got caught, they would have less support and understanding to lean on. And finally, if you punish them, if you inconvenience them -- make it easier and more convenient to be law abiding and to integrate into everyday society -- their numbers will dwindle.

There be a lot of sense in this post.

dc89 said:
sorry if already posted but...

We all remember that kid who was mugged in London whilst he was holding his broken jaw, you know, some scum rifled through his back pack and stole some property.

Well it turns out he had his PSP and games stolen. Sony are replacing it, their UK marketing director has confirmed it.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/10/injured-boy-mugged-in-riot-to-have-psp-replaced-by-scee/

Well done Sony.

Edit: Similar to what Steviedisco posted above.

I bet it'll be a PSP GO to get rid of old stock.

evilwart

thezerofire said:
I would have thought more specific identity would take over, i.e. Indian over Asian

An individual person of Indian descent may refer to themselves as Indian, but Britain has a large population of people from all over the Indian Sub-continent. Asian is simply the term that covers all of them as a group.

BNP leaflets.

More

20110810-bht9m1rqefha144eke662pmfau.jpg

"Wear something white. You know it’s right."

Fuck off

dc89

http://twitter.com/#!/gmpolice/status/101346878259609601

GMP to announce more sentences as and when.

GMP - Firm Policing.

Twinduct

Meus Renaissance said:
BNP leaflets.

More

"Wear something white. You know it’s right."

Fuck off

Heh. Wtf is up with that place?

How interesting, the controlled media has been busily telling us that the riots were due to black youths being "disenfranshised" or had "no hope", but let's look at the reality, this black "youth" was actually 31 years old and worked in a school, i would hazzard a guess he was a Communist thinking he was engaged in some sort of revolution, i would like to think we would try him again with treason when we come to power. What else will come out of the woodwork?

Honestly lol

Goron2000 said:
haha what a load of shit. Take a trip to a school in Hackney and tell me they have the same opportunities you did.

You're born into a london ghetto, your parents dont have a pot to piss in, all your friends are in the same situation and you have to be the "bad man' to not get the shit beaten out of you every day. These conditions are put on you from birth, do you think if given the choice these people would pick this life?
I'm from hackney and I can tell you right now you have idea what you're talking about. I'm now living in an awesome town, doing the job I've always wanted to do since I was 12.

Twinduct

SmokyDave said:
Ominous clouds are brewing. Too many people are looking at this through a prism of race rather than economics. Are the agendaless kids paving the way for the adults with agendas?

' We are the Eltham Army ... ' Blud

mokeyjoe

Phonomezer said:
I realise in the UK that they call and identify themselves Asian, though I would have assumed they would just call themselves Indian or Punjabi, Yerukula, Rajasthani, Hindu, etc

Well they don't. Like in the US where 'Asian' can mean Chinese, Japanese, Korean etc. It's a term for an ethnicity not a nationality. India/Pakistan/Banglash are all part of south Asia, as opposed to China etc which are east Asia.

Sneds

Furret said:
Are you serious?

Because it was obvious he had neither anecdotal nor empirical evidence?

Mate, just do a quick google search and you'll find loads of news reports/studies that show how black kids are at a disadvantage to white kids in numerous areas - education being just one.

zomgbbqftw said:
Fuck you. I went to a grammar school which was about 10-15% black, those kids had the same opportunities as me and they all have decent jobs now. The opportunities for every Londoner (bar the rich who send their kids to independent school) who goes to state sector is the same, if you don't take advantage of the opportunities given to you it is not the government's fault.

Blaming someone else for problems that these people have created for themselves is why we have such a large number of people dependent on benefits. Entitlement culture is fucked up, the world doesn't owe anyone a living, people have to work fucking hard to make sure they are equipped for the modern workplace.

I didn't get my job in finance by leaving school at 16 and signing onto the dole, my friend André (who is black) didn't get his job working in scientific research and development for the government by signing onto the dole either, we both worked fucking hard at school (and he used to live in the local estate) to make something of ourselves.

That's great. But your experience, and that of your black friends, isn't true for everyone. I'm not saying that black kids can't do well in education and get a good job - that's obviously not the case. But at the same time, Britain does have problems with racism, be it explicit or implicit. This isn't news.

So now the BNP are the friends of Muslims across the country and I should ponder on the symbolism of wearing a white tshirt? Really can't be bothered to keep up with them, they should have just stayed in the pub and had another round.

KEY103 KEY103
Manchester and Salford City Council say they will evict any council house tenants found to be involved in the riots.

Trying to get verification for this tweet.

Wrestlemania said:
Of course they have something to do with. That alone isn't the reason it's happening, but didn't you see the clip of the girls claiming they were doing it because of the rich and the government and the Tories etc.? People are angry. An element of the current government's actions have furled it. This isn't a justification.

Those girls were just trying to think up something which would justify their own behaviour. I seriously cannot understand how you believed them. What planet are you living on, mate? They were doing it because their friends were all doing it and it was fun.

SmokyDave

planar1280 said:
I find it hilarious BNP is lumping White and Asians together, they never did that before
That's the shocking reality of the BLACK BLITZ for you.

I thought the shocking reality of The Black Blitz was that when the mask came off, he was actually a she. Or was that Samus Arun?

SteveWD40

@Manchesterriots on twitter are great, posting lots of pics tonight about how quiet it is in town, keeps the stupid rumours in check.

anonnumber6 said:
KEY103 KEY103
Manchester and Salford City Council say they will evict any council house tenants found to be involved in the riots.

It was posted by the BBC also earlier

Dabanton

SmokyDave said:
Ominous clouds are brewing. Too many people are looking at this through a prism of race rather than economics. Are the agendaless kids paving the way for the adults with agendas?

I'm near eltham one of the areas with a high concentration of 'english defenders' don't think i'll be out and about this evening. I have a feeling from what some of those prats were doing in enfield last night that the first black face they see is going to get it involved or not.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
anonnumber6 said:
KEY103 KEY103

I don't think they can legally do that but I agree with the sentiment.

caramac

Metaphorically, yes. Their mums are given £500 as a reward for having a functioning vagina when the child is born. It gets spent on fags, cider, chicken nuggets and tracksuits.

zomgbbqftw said:

So what do you think then, can we tag all parents who received these grants with the chav/scum/rioters tag? Or maybe even take it as far as people who claim child benefit.

Sipowicz

Banned
i heard an interview with some rotten cunt on radio 4 an hour ago

stupid bitch was trying to justify the riots. with creatures like that raising these kids what hope have they got?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom