• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
rogue_pigeon said:
Sadly, you don't speak for everyone. I live outside of London, and work a half hour walk from the nearest trouble spot, but many of my colleagues live right in amongst these areas and they certainly wouldn't agree with you.
I think if I lived above a shop I'd be more scared.
I'm sad and angry about what's happening, but I certainly don't feel scared.

Manager

Wrestlemania said:
I think if I lived above a shop I'd be more scared.
I'm sad and angry about what's happening, but I certainly don't feel scared.

How about all the females who would have trouble defending themselves? Seniors...? Even living far away I'd give it an extra thought if I was planning on going for a walk 9PM.

Hey guys, bear with me for sounding like a crazy person, but.....

What would be the best (so-to-speak) video/s of what's been going on?
My girlfriend is in Hong Kong and is trying to catch up on the news.
A lot of sites (BBC, Sky, etc) won't playback in Asia and randomly going on Youtube isn't getting me anywhere fast.....

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Manager said:
How about all the females who would have trouble defending themselves? Seniors...? Even living far away I'd give it an extra thought if I was planning on going for a walk 9PM.
Single GAF, this is your time.

Manager

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:

A lot of sites (BBC, Sky, etc) won't playback in Asia and randomly going on Youtube isn't getting me anywhere fast.....

London:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv9iu-3k-kQ

General UK:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5sqf10GSls#t=5m25s

For justice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1b74BdPfSQ&feature=player_embedded

Sneds

radioheadrule83 said:
I am all for change and improving social mobility in any given group of society, but the problem with this naval gazing search for understanding is that it does not (and cannot) address the reality in the here and now.

Are you talking about us on this message board or UK society as a whole? Because let's be honest, this 'naval gazing search for understanding' isn't what's stopping any of us raining down vigilante justice. If you're talking about UK society as a whole, I still don't see your point. It's up the police to deal with the rioting and looting. Other people talking about longer term issues aren't detracting from that.

radioheadrule83 said:
Worse still, there is this implicit suggestion that people are behaving in a completely unacceptable way because, in effect, they can't help it. That it's not their fault. That they have been failed, and that's why they're doing it.

I don't think anyone is saying that, I'm certainly not.

radioheadrule83 said:
We can talk about how we fix problems for different ethnic and geographic groups later, in fact we are doing it right now and we do it all the time -- but we can't let it detract us from rejecting this behaviour outright, from condemning it in the strongest possible terms, putting a stop to it, and bringing down the full weight of the law for each crime as if it were any other day in any other time. Laws have been broken, its time to show some balls and start enforcing it.

I think everyone agrees that the law should be enforced, that the rioting/loting should be condemned and that anyone involved should be stopped. But why does that prevent us, and UK society as a whole, talking about wider concerns? None of this is mutually exclusive.

My point sneds is that a lot of people, perhaps yourself included, don't seem to realise that the perpetrators draw a lot of comfort and receive a lot of leniency from people trying to use kid gloves, and 'explain' and 'understand' what they're doing. You're right that the discussion is valid and that these subjects aren't mutually exclusive, but what I want to avoid is this over intellectualising, and over humanising discourse inadvertantly tainting the course of justice. Justice should be absolute, it should be robust. If it were being dealt out properly, you wouldn't have seen half as much of the anger and blood-lust that some of us were exhibiting earlier in the thread.

SteveWD40

dc89 said:
Do we think anything will happen tonight?

Seems not, in Manchester at least, 2 police every 50 yards in Picc alone, all roads in manned.

Maybe elsewhere but the weather will keep most at bay.

Dakota47

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:

This my favourite video of the riots so far. Sangat TV <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgRG3KQsKNY (new version, uploaded by Sangat themselves)

jett

D-Member
MmmSkyscraper said:

w1OaL.jpg

Arnie

dc89 said:
Do we think anything will happen tonight?
Undoubtably, whether it remains at a level consistent with what we've already seen is unknown. Hopefully this shitty weather will act as a great deterrent.

Some sober reading for UK gaf, now that things seem a little more relaxed.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions...itled_generation_of_british_young_people.html

The riots in London and elsewhere in England have confirmed what I long knew and have long preached to my disbelieving but totally unobservant countrymen: that young British people are among the most unpleasant and potentially violent young people in the world. It took determination on the part of my countrymen not to notice it.

Needless to say, any generalization on such a scale needs to be tempered by qualification. Of course it is true that not all young Britons are unattractive in appearance and conduct, only a far higher proportion of them than of the young of any other nation. It requires but an overnight stay on a Friday or Saturday in any British city to prove it. Even Russians are appalled by what they witness.

The rioting is only the extreme end of the spectrum of bad behavior by British youth and young adults. The characteristics that are common to all classes are arrogance, a sense of entitlement and an unwillingness to moderate their behavior for the convenience of others. The main difference between the classes is that the rich can pay for what they feel entitled to, while the poor have to wheedle, cajole, swindle and steal it. But the inflamed sense of entitlement is the same.

These riots certainly did not emerge from a cultural vacuum. Many visitors to Britain, including Americans, are surprised and disturbed by how quickly many people in Britain appear to get murderously angry over trifles and direct real and frightening hatred at a person who has offended them in some very slight way. Tempers flare over nothing.

In England it is difficult now, quite literally, to distinguish the sound of people enjoying themselves from that of someone being murdered. Recently in Manchester (where there has also been rioting), I woke at 1 on a Wednesday morning in my hotel to hear drunken screaming and shouting down below on one of the city's main streets, the sound of which continued until 4:30. Lo and behold, when I left the hotel at 8 in the morning, I discovered that a man had been savagely beaten nearly to death at about 2 a.m. and was still in a coma - but the drunken reveling had continued nonetheless, uninterrupted by the police.

So the sheer viciousness and destructiveness of the riots certainly do not surprise me. No one who has seen an English football crowd, and the brutal faces it contains, could be under any illusion as to its potential for violence. At the last match I attended, the police kept the supporters of the two teams apart by almost military maneuvers, and after the match thousands of them frogmarched one set of supporters into their awaiting buses. If they had not done so there is no doubt that widespread fighting, looting and destruction would have occurred. And football tickets are now so expensive that it is no longer the game of the poor. Thus poverty does not explain the quick resort to violence, or the obvious taste for vandalism, of the modern British.

..and more.

Daniels, who often writes under the pseudonym Theodore Dalrymple, is a retired British prison doctor and psychiatrist. He is a contributing editor to City Journal.

dc89

So my next question.

Do you think we've seen the worse of it and do you think things will die down from now on?

Deku

Banned
BNP courting Asians?

By Asians I assume it's the Brit context of including those from India and Pakistan

Edit: This reminds me of the Spooks episode where a racist industrialist orchestrates race riots.

SteveWD40

dc89 said:
So my next question.

Do you think we've seen the worse of it and do you think things will die down from now on?

No idea is my guess (as anything you hear on that is a guess).

Once the rain stops, the police ease back a bit? It might not be "the thing to do by then", you could argue the police response has discouraged most, the London Riot Polices lack of action is what triggered it elsewhere imho, people thought they could loot and not get any backlash.

Now? we have the govt authorizing rubber bullets, the police are on the watch-out and will be for months, remember that for the most part it was opportunist looters not violent rioters, the police had their hands full with kids who won't be back at it as it's not going to be as fun when the Police take the gloves off.

So my guess, yes but not the scale we saw.

Sneds

radioheadrule83 said:
My point sneds is that a lot of people, perhaps yourself included, don't seem to realise that the perpetrators draw a lot of comfort and receive a lot of leniency from people trying to use kid gloves, and 'explain' and 'understand' what they're doing. You're right that the discussion is valid and that these subjects aren't mutually exclusive, but what I want to avoid is this over intellectualising, and over humanising discourse inadvertantly tainting the course of justice. Justice should be absolute, it should be robust. If it were being dealt out properly, you wouldn't have seen half as much of the anger and blood-lust that some of us were exhibiting earlier in the thread.

Ah I see. I understand why that could be a concern. I don't think you need to worry though. It doesn't seem as though the national mood is for a 'kid glove' approach and the courts don't appear to be being lenient.

Personally, I still think that there's room for a discussion of the long term social problems that Britain has, and has had for a number of years now. I doubt that it will detract from people's desire for justice and strong policing.

Empty

radioheadrule83 said:

you've been very critical of kinda pop-sociological analysis of the situation here and i think i understand your position and concerns, though in my view there's plenty room for both condemnation and a desire for justice and examinations of how to prevent this from happening again (not that the two things are disconnected), but aren't you concerned that by focusing away from the issues that help create a situation where these people are brought up without a single care for society when everyone is paying attention to what it can lead to that it gets swept under the carpet and left unaddressed.

Melchiah

'We are the Enfield Army': Video of locals chasing rioters in London
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6p4itkdLi8

Follow latest updates on http://twitter.com/RT_com and http://www.facebook.com/RTnews Londoners took to the streets to protect their neighbourhoods on Tuesday night after Britain's worst rioting in a generation. A group of anti-rioters marched through Enfield, in north London, aiming to deter looters. "We are the Enfield anti-rioting squad," said one local resident. "You want to riot our place, we will riot you mate. This is our area not your area." Another Enfield resident said his fellow vigilantes were the "people that are London, not the small minority that are going around smashing up stuff, that have got nothing to wake up for in the morning."

dc89

Girl of 14 charged with stealing a games console and camera from Argos.

Man of 41 charged with stealing a bottle of wine.

And we wonder why some kids are fucked up.

Deku said:
BNP courting Asians?

By Asians I assume it's the Brit context of including those from India and Pakistan

Edit: This reminds me of the Spooks episode where a racist industrialist orchestrates race riots.
I remember that. Indian embassy complained to the BBC

dc89 said:
So my next question.

In London after last night is certainly seemed like it was calming down, but with the statement from the Met on "reasonable force" and the idiot racist gangs roaming around looking for a fight? Might be some bad stuff on the way.

theignoramus said:
BNP membership is going to soar in the coming months. and it's almost entirely the fault of the hooligan black kids out there rioting and the shitty, shitty parenting that produced them.

Nah, the BNP are pretty much dead in the UK...expect the EDL to make big gains out of this. A certain element will be watching the vids of them chasing black kids and threatening black kids on the bus and thinking that's exactly the kind of group I need to be a part of...true English bulldogs running out to confront the 'darkies', etc...

Surprisingly, they haven't distributed any leaflets...maybe they simply aren't smart enough or can't be bothered.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Leicester Police said:
Last night in the city we had groups of youths who were using bikes to get to areas of disorder. to prevent this tonight officers are stopping youths and giving them a choice of either leaving the city or having the air let out of the tyres to prevent them using them to go to any areas of potential disorder

Haha, go Leicester Police! :D

Leicester Police said:
A man who decided to come into the city in possession of a hammer has been arrested. This man is now in custody and hammer recovered.

Dang! - Leicester Police nicked Thor, man they have steel balls :D

leadbelly

Banned
Danny 117 said:
LOL. "These looters will be brought to Justice."
(House getting looted in background)

Yeah lol.

It's quite subtle really. It isn't instantly apparent. Your eyes focus on Cameron at first and then you suddenly notice. :D

SteveWD40

More Fun To Compute said:
That's how some people in the rest of the world see us. Especially when we go out drinking in their cities or when they visit our town centres in the night.

Go for a walk around Detroit, Compton and Baltimore and tell me what you think of Americans.

It's Bullshit.

Funky Papa said:
How is the situation ATM?

Sky aren't leading with it but it is mentioned in the ticker. (the fact they aren't leading with it might mean it's not serious)

"A police operation is underway in Eltham, South East London"

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Speedymanic said:
Sky aren't leading with it but it is mentioned in the ticker. (the fact they aren't leading with it might mean it's not serious)

"A police operation is underway in Eltham, South East London"
I mean, in the country. Sorry, I should have been more precise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom