• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Meus Renaissance said:
What's happening in Eltham? More looters?

went up to the local sainsburys in eltham, place was packed with police vans and riot police getting ready, saw welsh police vans..lots of people on the street getting ready to protect the high street, people jsut going about trying to get home, me and my brother got our shopping looked at the scene and went home though stupid he got a bus to his girlfriends and is on his way back....

police stopping cars searching anyone they didn't like etc..

had a mixture of all colours waiting for buses no one was hassling anyone they were jsut waiting out the looters..

rumours of them offering out Thamesmead, woolwich and lewisham gangs... wtf???? why??

police going as far as mottingham station last time I saw them...

shit I am not going to sleep tonight.... please let calm head proveil and that people of eltham dont get hurt...too many people there that would rise up and start fighting back if it doesn't...shit :(

Sneds

More Fun To Compute said:
That's how some people in the rest of the world see us. Especially when we go out drinking in their cities or when they visit our town centres in the night.

The article was written by an Englishman:
The riots in London and elsewhere in England have confirmed what I long knew and have long preached to my disbelieving but totally unobservant countrymen

It shouldn't be taken seriously though. My favourite bit is when he writes that
Even Russians are appalled by what they witness.
Even Russians!

Funky Papa said:
I mean, in the country. Sorry, I should have been more precise.

Ah, right. It's generally quiet. No news of any major incidents (this might be because of the weather, we'll find for sure over the next few days), news reporting is starting to report more on other domestic news (the sluggish recovery, inflation rising, etc).

SmokyDave

Funky Papa said:
I mean, in the country. Sorry, I should have been more precise.
The BBC has 'Trouble reported in Leicester, Liverpool & Bristol' on screen at the moment but I don't know if they mean tonight.

It's tense all over but luckily the weather is shit and the cops are prepared. 'Vigilantes' proving more a curse than a blessing this evening, it seems.

SteveWD40

SmokyDave said:
The BBC has 'Trouble reported in Leicester, Liverpool & Bristol' on screen at the moment but I don't know if they mean tonight.

Not as far as I could tell, they had a "last night" bit on it at one point and they had that up hours ago and nothing reported.

leadbelly

Banned
theignoramus said:
BNP membership is going to soar in the coming months. and it's almost entirely the fault of the hooligan black kids out there rioting and the shitty, shitty parenting that produced them.

Crazy spin on that poster. Of course some members of the public have been attacked, but in general, their main aim was not to attack members of the public, it was to attack the police and loot. There are interviews where passers by were speaking to them and asking them for a light. They weren't interested in the public really.

Not to mention that there were white and asian people rioting. In fact, the videos I've seen white people have been the major culprits. Like the kid who got his stuff stolen out of his bag. The kid that did it looks white to me. The kid who set alight a store in Manchester was white. There are pictures of white people attacking police.

That's not to say there aren't a big percentage of black kids there.

Jin34

SteveWD40 said:
Go for a walk around Detroit, Compton and Baltimore and tell me what you think of Americans.

It's Bullshit.

That they don't care about the poor and minorities as long as they live in their sheltered suburbs with their Apple devices? Sounds pretty accurate to me!

Zutroy

More Fun To Compute said:
Some sober reading for UK gaf, now that things seem a little more relaxed.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions...itled_generation_of_british_young_people.html
What a load of shit. As someone who works with tourists from all over the world, I can tell you that from first hand experience, us Brits are some of the most polite and well mannered. The only exception to this is people from the south of England. All the ones from there that I've had to deal with bar one exception, was a rude, pompous, arrogant bastard.

I'd also like to point out that blaming us younger generation is just as wrong. I'm always giving thanks, holding doors open, letting people by first etc. and so are most other young people that I witness. The ones that seem to have lost their manners are people between the ages of 30 to late 40s. They never show any appreciation for the small tokens of kindness offered to them. It's like manners skipped a generation.

I'm from Scotland if that makes any difference to what other people experience.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
SmokyDave said:

It's tense all over but luckily the weather is shit and the cops are prepared. 'Vigilantes' proving more a curse than a blessing this evening, it seems.

There's nothing going on in Leicester at the moment, the police are not even letting groups congregate and are proactively making arrests of individuals coming into the city dressed/prepared for trouble.

Walshicus

Whilst I'm certainly sympathetic towards those whose lives *have* been disrupted by the rioting, it does seem in the cold light of day that the bulk of this 'event' a load of media hyped bollocks. Still, it was an interesting spectacle.

Sir Fragula said:
Whilst I'm certainly sympathetic towards those whose lives *have* been disrupted by the rioting, it does seem in the cold light of day that the bulk of this 'event' a load of media hyped bollocks. Still, it was an interesting spectacle.

Huh? Do you just mean today or the entire event?

SmokyDave

SteveWD40 said:
Not as far as I could tell, they had a "last night" bit on it at one point and they had that up hours ago and nothing reported.
I thought as much but I've only just turned the TV on. They really ought to have put 'earlier' or 'yesterday' at the end of the sentence. Nothing going on here in Notts.

Sir Fragula said:
Well, that's an... interesting perspective.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Interesting, Leicester Police were given authority to challenge and require anyone in the city to remove facemasks, with refusal leading to authorisation of arrest. Wonder what offense they are using for that? Public Disorder? Breach of the Peace? (So often used as a catch all).

Doesn't matter if it leads to a charge, but certainly enough to get them off the streets for the night, and Charles Street nick certainly isnt the most comfortable place to spend the night, I know that from experience too :p

7aged

leadbelly said:
Crazy spin on that poster. Of course some members of the public have been attacked, but in general, their main aim was not to attack members of the public, it was to attack the police and loot. There are interviews where passers by were speaking to them and asking them for a light. They weren't interested in the public really.

Not to mention that there were white and asian people rioting. In fact, the videos I've seen white people have been the major culprits. Like the kid who got his stuff stolen out of his bag. The kid that did it looks white to me. The kid who set alight a store in Manchester was white. There are pictures of white people attacking police.

That's not to say there aren't a big percentage of black kids there.

Not going to comment on the racial aspect, but I call bullshit on the assertion that the mob didn't target the ordinary public. What do you call all the muggings, break ins to peoples homes and arson ? These weren't isolated incidents but a big part of the disturbances.

Empty

that article is really a tortured attempt to put his personal discontent with the country into some grand statement about our society. i think the line about our women sums it up, it's personal and most of it is a bunch of random anecdotes. the country often talks about chavs and how bad our youths can be plenty, british people are less likely to get angry about random stuff than americans please and you just have to look at our attitude to queuing, his everything is turning shit point is undone by his hooliganism example where english fans have fewer problems now than before and our grounds are some of the safest in europe and the least racist these days. ex chief of justice says something = oh noes the justice system is a million times more soft than sweden and how are these riots so different from the 2005 french ones if you are going to make us look especially bad for these.

dalin80

Banned
Sir Fragula said:

I definitely believe that the media made the situation worse, at times some of the televised press have almost been giving out how-to instructions and times and places to go.

And to a lesser extent they seem to have been almost encouraging the riots by constantly highlighting how easy it has been to steal and get away with it.

Sneds

Speedymanic said:
Yup, Sky are reporting that the main ones causing trouble in Eltham tonight are the vigilantes.

Bottles thrown, etc.

Kent Brockman: I see. Well, what do you say to the accusation that your group has been causing more crimes than it's been preventing?
Homer Simpson: Oh, Kent, I'd be lying if I said my men weren't committing crimes.
Kent Brockman: [pause] Well, touché.

homervigilante.jpg

In all seriousness though, the EDL, BNP and their like are making things worse. They should go home and stay out of it.

CRD90 said:
What a load of shit. As someone who works with tourists from all over the world, I can tell you that from first hand experience, us Brits are some of the most polite and well mannered. The only exception to this is people from the south of England. All the ones from there that I've had to deal with bar one exception, was a rude, pompous, arrogant bastard.

I'd also like to point out that blaming us younger generation is just as wrong. I'm always giving thanks, holding doors open, letting people by first etc. and so are most other young people that I witness. The ones that seem to have lost their manners are people between the ages of 30 to late 40s. They never show any appreciation for the small tokens of kindness offered to them. It's like manners skipped a generation.

I'm from Scotland if that makes any difference to what other people experience.

People my age were told that holding open doors for people is basically like telling them that they are too feeble to open a door themselves. But I do it. Manners are different in different countries, like French people finding queuing exasperating and Germans hating it when you underplay bad news.

And I hate to say it but I have heard people, from the Irish Republic, say that Scottish people are fun but people get more uptight and the atmosphere more tense the further south you go.

leadbelly

Banned
7aged said:
Not going to comment on the racial aspect, but I call bullshit on the assertion that the mob didn't target the ordinary public. What do you call all the muggings, break ins to peoples homes and arson ? These weren't isolated incidents but a big part of the disturbances.

I never said they didn't. You highlight that bit and miss out the beginning. :S

Of course some members of the public have been attacked,

That is going to happen. As far as I am aware their main aim was not to target white people. there were people just standing there watching them for hours before the police turned up. If they were really targeting white people as the BNP put it then a hell of a lot more people would have been injured or even killed. That isn't the case.

Blair

Banned
CRD90 said:
What a load of shit. As someone who works with tourists from all over the world, I can tell you that from first hand experience, us Brits are some of the most polite and well mannered. The only exception to this is people from the south of England.

wat

I'm from Scotland

ah, nvm.

CRD90 said:
As someone who works with tourists from all over the world, I can tell you that from first hand experience, us Brits are some of the most polite and well mannered. The only exception to this is people from the south of England.

Fucking really? :lol

Well I can tell you from first hand experience that the only Scotsman I've ever met was a complete cunt, so I guess that's reason enough to write off the whole nation.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
CRD90 said:

You're just jealous of our education, good looks and continental wives.

EDIT: Oh, you're Scottish. haha

We should organise some community events in every town in every affected city. Have picnics on the roads/streets. Get some large screens up, show some films. Have some competitions and social games. Allow people to talk, mingle and build a sense of community. I'm thinking of printing some signs to advertise this but we'll need permission to close some roads from the council. I don't know where to start with that. I think I'll start some social groups, hopefully people from my area join in.

Sky Chief

kitch9 said:
I'm confused, does America not have violence and gangs?

Of course we do. However, as an American who lived in the UK for seven years you do see a lot more violence and boorish behavior in public in the UK.

My theory is that it is the lack of gun ownership. In the UK I would regularly see fights at bars and nightclubs. It happens in the US as well but not nearly as frequently and I think its because people know in the back of their mind that it might not be worth starting something because the guy you're talking shit to might have a concealed weapon permit.

Furthermore, you would not see the same level of rioting and looting in the UK if every shop owner was guarding their property with a shotgun and the police actually carried weapons. Legalized gun ownership makes people think twice about being a jackass.

ColR100

Quick question to UK folk, can you log in to Facebook currently?

I can load up facebook.com, but then I'm unable to login and I'm presented with this by Google shitty Chrome.

EDIT - As I post this it then works.

Looks like everything it simmering down now with these riots, hopefully it won't affect this weekends football.

Manager

CRD90 said:

That's funny. My friend worked down at Canary Islands and said that both she and everyone else working there said the English tourists were the most hard to work with.

If you live in Scotland, it may be that a certain kind of people chose to travel to Scotland from England. And another kind to the Canaries and other tourist places.

Plus, they are "your kind". What you think is polite etc may be very different from what other nationalities do.

/End OT

Sky Chief said:
Of course they do. However, as an American who lived in the UK for seven years you do see a lot more violence and boorish behavior in the UK.

My theory is that it is the lack of gun ownership. In the UK I would regularly see fights at bars and nightclubs. It happens in the US as well but not nearly as frequently and I think its because people know in the back of their mind that it might not be worth starting something because the guy you're talking shit to might have a concealed weapon permit.

Furthermore, you would not see the same level of rioting and looting in the UK if every shop owner was guarding their property with a shotgun and the police actually carried weapons. Legalized gun ownership makes people think twice about being a jackass.

I can only think that it is your upbringing in 2nd amendment land that makes you think that way. If everyone had guns the only thing that would change is that more people would die of injuries sustained through gunfire. At least our way, gun crime is kept to the fringes of society.

With regards to the fights at bars and nightclubs, I think it has more to do with binge drinking -- real, hard binging... Given that people here would probably still binge in a climate with guns, I hate to imagine what that would make Friday and Saturday nights look like.

I drink myself, not as much as I used to, and I know people who don't drink at all - but generally, we are an entire country with a drink problem.

Lmao.. On BBC News 24, some twat wants more riots and basically saying, "Fucking Polish taking our jobs".

Euthanize the cunt.

Sky Chief said:
My theory is that it is the lack of gun ownership.

Yeah, the entirety of Europe is running riot..

Biggzy

Dabookerman said:
Lmao.. On BBC News 24, some twat wants more riots and basically saying, "Fucking Polish taking our jobs".

Euthanize the cunt.

Dear o dear and i have to share a country with idiots like these.

Zutroy

Bootaaay said:
Fucking really? :lol

Well I can tell you from first hand experience that the only Scotsman I've ever met was a complete cunt, so I guess that's reason enough to write off the whole nation.

Like I said, I'm only going from the first hand experience I've encountered. Of course I'm not saying everyone is like that. When you've served a couple of hundred or so people with a London address and they all act in the same way, it certainly paints an unpleasant picture. I was over exaggerating with the 'bar one', but again it was all people in the 30s to 40s age group who acted like that.

Plus, they are "your kind". What you think is polite etc may be very different from what other nationalities do.

I think there's a certain level of politeness that is universal. Certainly from what I've witnessed. Aussies, Canadians and New Zealanders seem to be the most polite. Americans are hit or miss, but I'd say most are fairly well mannered. Overall though pretty much everyone is polite.

And I'm not saying English. Most the English are fine, it seems to be specifically London and that southern corner of England.

But you're right it is kinda OT, so I'll stop.

33-Hit-Combo said:
What happened?

A woman in Salford (I think its Salford) is telling a BBC reporter that in-spite of everyone having a go at parents and blaming kids, she saw a lot of adults out wrecking the place last night...

lo and behold, a man probably in his 30s pulls up donning his best scruffs and interrupts - saying there should be more riots and that its great. The interviewer asks him why he would support them, and he basically says "you've got to haven't ya", and proceeds to suggest its a suitable way to attack the government and as a response to immigrants "taking our jerbs" etc. Basically he's a certified moron...

the BBC reporter responds, who the hell is going to give you jobs, who is going to want to invest in Salford, if you're trashing the place?

Empty

Sky Chief said:

i might take this view seriously if 53 people hadn't died and 1 billion dollars of property damage hadn't been inflicted by riots in legal gun owning l.a in 1992.

Sky Chief

radioheadrule83 said:
I can only think that it is your upbringing in 2nd amendment land that makes you think that way. If everyone had guns the only thing that would change is that more people would die of injuries sustained through gunfire. At least our way, gun crime is kept to the fringes of society.

With regards to the fights at bars and nightclubs, I think it has more to do with binge drinking -- real, hard binging... Given that people here would probably still binge in a climate with guns, I hate to imagine what that would make Friday and Saturday nights look like.

I drink myself, not as much as I used to, and I know people who don't drink at all - but generally, we are an entire country with a drink problem.

I did not grow up in 2nd amendment land, I grew up in Washington, DC where gun ownership is illegal yet gun crime is through the roof. Now I live in Texas where a majority of people I know have concealed handgun permits and I feel safer here than I ever did in DC (Texans are also some of the nicest and most polite people you will ever meet). Furthermore, almost every major shooting spree that you hear about in the US occurs in public places where gun possession is forbidden - school campuses, military bases, etc..., etc... I do not own a handgun myself and do not desire to but this is one of the only explanations I can come up with.

As for drinking, if you think that binge drinking is bad in the UK you haven't seen how its done in the US. At least in the UK people learn about alcohol at an early age. In the US kids never have this "education" and therefore their binge drinking is far more severe. When I moved back to the US in my early 20s I was shocked by the way that many young Americans have no idea of their limits when it comes to alcohol and how irresponsible they were.

mokeyjoe

Sky Chief said:
Of course we do. However, as an American who lived in the UK for seven years you do see a lot more violence and boorish behavior in public in the UK.

Wow, guns - society's panacea. Who'd have thought it.

You know what's annoying? In the YouTube video of Tariq Jahan, people are making fake accounts - pretending to be Asians - making racial comments about blacks and trying to provoke trouble. These accounts are e.g. NoSurrender786. 'No Surrender' is one of the preferred slogans for groups like the EDL

:rage: Fuck these bastards, fuck the lot of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom