• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raist

Banned
SmokyDave said:
Well, no, not really. We don't find it funny and I think many had noted the similarities between the banlieue of Paris and the council estates in London.

This situation sucks for both of us.

I dunno man. Every single brit colleague I have often take the piss about that kinda stuff. Maybe I work with the wrong people :<

lopaz

Banned
Xavien said:
Lets address the issues before it gets to rioting?

The 'issue' of people not having enough trainers from JJB sports and widescreen TVs? The 'issue' of some thug gang member getting righteous ownage from the police?

There aint no fuckin issues that justify this

Meadows said:
No, there are a large amount of white youths in these gangs. Mostly wannabees but also chavs from around the estates.

Gang membership is equal opportunity in the UK :p

99% of the rioters in the pictures I'm seeing are black. Got any pics showing otherwise?

SmokyDave

Raist said:
I dunno man. Every single brit colleague I have often take the piss about that kinda stuff. Maybe I work with the wrong people :<
You do, or they're a bit shit at conveying banter. Give it 'em back with both barrels.

Xavien

lopaz said:
The 'issue' of people not having enough trainers from JJB sports and widescreen TVs? The 'issue' of some thug gang member getting righteous ownage from the police?

There aint no fuckin issues that justify this

99% of the rioters in the pictures I'm seeing are black. Got any pics showing otherwise?

The issue of not letting it get to this stage, looting is just opportunistic thieves after the fact. If there was no initial riot in the first place there would be no looting afterwards. Additionally we don't know if that gang members "ownage" was "righteous". Recent events have given me reason to seriously distrust the Metropolitan Police.

Why do you think there are gangs? Surely, I don't need to spell this out for you.

Osietra

Banned
Stay strong brave Boris, you stick to your holiday guns. England is with you, and we feel your pain (pain being having to guzzle fine wines and delicious pastries).

lopaz

Banned
Xavien said:
The issue of not letting it get to this stage, looting is just opportunistic thieves after the fact. If there was no initial riot in the first place there would be no looting afterwards. Additionally we don't know if that gang members "ownage" was "righteous". Recent events have given me reason to seriously distrust the Metropolitan Police.

Surely, I don't need to spell this out for you.

Agree if you mean 'not letting it get to this stage' means not having taken in millions of immigrants from 3rd world countries over past few decades, and properly policing the riots to begin with via righteous ownage.

I do not agree that building expensive new shopping areas and youth centres is a pre-requisite to not having people of an area go apeshit and burn buildings. Plenty of poor people the world over do not burn buildings.

And true that the circumstances of Mark Duggan's killing are still somewhat unknown (though it seems pretty certain he is at least involved in gangs) - why then did people flip out and riot before knowing the facts?

Xavien

lopaz said:
Agree if you mean 'not letting it get to this stage' means not having taken in millions of immigrants from 3rd world countries over past few decades, and properly policing the riots to begin with via righteous ownage.

I do not agree that building expensive new shopping areas and youth centres is a pre-requisite to not having people of an area go apeshit and burn buildings. Plenty of poor people the world over do not burn buildings.

And true that the circumstances of Mark Duggan's killing are still somewhat unknown (though it seems pretty certain he is at least involved in gangs) - why then did people flip out and riot before knowing the facts?

okay... Its all the Immigrants fault right?

Xavien said:
okay... Its all the Immigrants fault right?

Apparently, but since the people in Tottenham have lived in the UK since the 60's, that argument doesn't hold water. The people rioting are British citizens regardless of their colour. Their parents may not have been born in this country, but they definitely were.

PJV3

I like that former policeman on the news earlier "rioting is good fun and it's exciting, i can see why the kids do it" and "they won't get punished, the prisons and youth offender institutions are full". What kind of message was he sending out when he was head of community policing.

Raydeen

In Dalston, a gang of youths broke into Kingsland shopping centre and smashed their way into JD Sports and Foot Locker in search of designer trainers.

These youths are lost to the world I fear.

I've lived in East London in whole life - I used to speak with a broad cockney accent with plenty of yeah and innit peppered in. But there comes a point you look around you and realise, the people who get somewhere in life, just don't talk (or dress) in a certain way. So I made deliberate steps to get more educated and speak better. Infact I still get people say to me today that I don't sound like I'm from London. Basically, you don't have to be trapped by your surroundings, you can get out of it and improve your life, but it's up to the individual to have the desire to - and I get the feeling that these youths just don't have the desire. I really feel sorry for the White kids in such areas, the whole ghetto patois riddled gangaster cliche has ruined their futures as well - where 20 years ago they would have been cheeky cockney lads, now they are just poor carbon copy black gangsters with the same totally unemployable attitude and way of speaking as most of the young plastic gangster hoodies on show in the various videos of Saturday night.

Xavien

PJV3 said:
I like that former policeman on the news earlier "rioting is good fun and it's exciting, i can see why the kids do it" and "they won't get punished, the prisons and youth offender institutions are full". What kind of message was he sending out when he was head of community policing.

Build more Prisons? The first comment is a bit reprehensible though.

lopaz

Banned
Obviously, not every individual immigrant is to blame (nice try), but it is clearly immigrant populations causing the riots, and more broadly causing large areas of London to be complete shitholes.

It is nonsense to blame these riots on a 'lack of investment' or the tory cuts, or whatever other excuse turns the perpetrators into victims. Again, plenty of people are poor and manage not to throw firebombs.

Raydeen said:

I've lived in East London in whole life - I used to speak with a broad cockney accent with plenty of yeah and innit peppered in. But there comes a point you look around you and realise, the people who get somewhere in life, just don't talk (or dress) in a certain way. So I made deliberate steps to get more educated and speak better. Infact I still get people say to me today that I don't sound like I'm from London. Basically, you don't have to be trapped by your surroundings, you can get out of it and improve your life, but it's up to the individual to have the desire to - and I get the feeling that these youths just don't have the desire. I really feel sorry for the White kids in such areas, the whole ghetto patois riddled gangaster cliche has ruined their futures as well - where 20 years ago they would have been cheeky cockney lads, now they are just poor carbon copy black gangsters with the same totally unemployable attitude and way of speaking as most of the young plastic gangster hoodies on show in the various videos of Saturday night.

Fucking Amen.

Xavien

lopaz said:
Obviously, not every individual immigrant is to blame (nice try), but it is clearly immigrant populations causing the riots, and more broadly causing large areas of London to be complete shitholes.

It is nonsense to blame these riots on a 'lack of investment' or the tory cuts, or whatever other excuse turns the perpetrators into victims. Again, plenty of people are poor and manage not to throw firebombs.

Its really not though, see Raydeens post to see the real reasons. Stop reading Daily Mail rubbish.

Prine

Banned
Leaders on holiday, what exactly do they believe their jobs entails? By campaigning for these positions surely you forfeit certain comforts, if required.

SmokyDave

Raydeen said:
I used to speak with a broad cockney accent with plenty of yeah and innit peppered in. But there comes a point you look around you and realise, the people who get somewhere in life, just don't talk (or dress) in a certain way. So I made deliberate steps to get more educated and speak better.
This is so fucking true and it's the reason I have no time or sympathy for this scum. I grew up on a poor-ass council estate and I used to skip school, shoplift, sit on the park drinking cider at 11. You just realise that you'll never have nice things like other people unless you A; steal them, with violence if necessary, or B; sort your life out. I chose the latter, fuck those that choose the former.

PJV3

Xavien said:
Build more Prisons? The first comment is a bit reprehensible though.

He probably didn't mean it to sound like a recruitment campaign for anarchy in the UK, but it did.

Chinner

Banned
NLwzn.jpg

udEYW.jpg

vindicated?

lopaz

Banned
Xavien said:
Its really not though, see Raydeens post to see the real reasons. Stop reading Daily Mail rubbish.

Don't read the daily mail or any newspaper (mainly BBC news). I just live in london and have a pair of eyes :)

Raydeen

Xavien said:

I will also add the biggest success we had in our comprehensive was a black kid who did so well at science and physics that he got to train at NASA for a while. It's not uncommon for Black parents now to send their school kids back to Barbados or Trinidad for a proper British education with an iron rod of discipline like the British schools of the 40's and 50's. Someone needs to take a really hard look why immigrants from Africa, Eastern Europe arrive with nothing, but find jobs immediately and make a success of themselves. My wife for example is from Asia, when she got her visa to come here, she popped into the local wetherspoons to ask about bar work in her first week (she lived her for 7 years in the early 90's studying) and started the following...

Even when I was unemployed in the past (the worst being for several years for medical reasons), I always made sure that I didn't just doss at home, but took every part time college course or government scheme I could get on to.

Xavien

lopaz said:
Don't read the daily mail or any newspaper (mainly BBC news). I just live in london and have a pair of eyes :)

Luckly i don't live in London (moved out a long time ago), but my Sister lives in one of those rough estates, so i do have half and idea of what its like.

SmokyDave

Salazar said:
Sensible human beings drink cider too, Dave.
Not the 7.5% white cider stuff. Never had an apple so much as wafted past. I love Stella's new Cidre though. C'est Cidre, not Cider.

Interestingly, white cider always stops at 7.5% because 7.6% would be classed as wine, not cider.

Raydeen

SmokyDave said:
Not the 7.5% white cider stuff. Never had an apple so much as wafted past. I love Stella's new Cidre though. C'est Cidre, not Cider.

Interestingly, white cider always stops at 7.5% because 7.6% would be classed as wine, not cider.

Really, damn you learn something new every day.

I actually have some respect for rioters who chose a laptop...at least that might give them a view into a bigger world then their estates they rarely leave...smashing and burning down shops for a new pair of Nike or Addidas = DIE!!!!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This cider debate is making me wonder about the taste of the mytical nectar known as Buckfast. I have yet to try it, maybe Kentpaul could hook me up.

Prine

Banned
Raydeen said:

These people have no desire regardless of what culture they follow. Better schools with adequate funding to tackle these feelings of apathy would be a good start, as well as the parents limiting their poison to their children in regards to authority and entitlement. I've heard some awful reasoning to commit crime from people that genuinely believed they're owed luxuries. Because the government is "stealing" from them (they dont even work to pay taxes), its fine to rob others to survive.

Raydeen

SmokyDave said:

I actually have some respect for rioters who chose a laptop...at least that might get them surfing the internet and give them a view into a bigger world then their estates they rarely leave...smashing and burning down shops for a new pair of Nike or Addidas = DIE!!!!

Raydeen said:

I actually have some respect for rioters who chose a laptop...at least that might give them a view into a bigger world then their estates they rarely leave...smashing and burning down shops for a new pair of Nike or Addidas = DIE!!!!

eBay?

Salazar

SmokyDave said:
Not the 7.5% white cider stuff.

I tend to go for the pear stuff.

Curiously enough, I feel homesick. I hope the riots have stopped by early next year.

Edit: if anybody loots in Covent Garden, I am flying over there to take action.

Funky Papa said:
This cider debate is making me wonder about the taste of the mytical nectar known as Buckfast. I have yet to try it, maybe Kentpaul could hook me up.

I had some a couple of months back, horrible stuff, like syrup.

Raist

Banned
Chinner said:
yes, just make sure you turn off your bombs before doing so.

Does smelly cheese count?

SmokyDave said:
Nah, I'll give you somewhere safe to stay.

You're doing all the cooking though. You'd better live up to stereotype.

That'd be a waste of fine food :/

I'm getting tired of all these persecution by the police talk. These looters aren't doing it as defiance against the police but for no reason other than a high of looting and stealing in mass numbers whilst throwing bricks at windows. It's not like these idiots live in shanty towns - they're out to get trainers, video games, small electronics for themselves or to sell on the street. This has nothing to do with Duggan's shooting, so please stop talking about how protesters weren't given answers as if it is, and this has nothing to do with police-community relations; it is pure unadulterated opportunism to rob for the thrill of it.

Salazar

The chocolate beers all seem feral to me.

I wonder how swamped the market for stolen goods will be. I suppose if some of the looting is coordinated, they can get the stuff out of the country to flog on the continent. Or just out of London, I suppose.

PJV3

I wonder if it will spread to Kingston upon Thames, it looks rather ghetto here with the burnt out council tower block. I may loot the fine cheeses store as there is a jolly good selection of imported organic italian goats cheese.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
PJV3 said:
I wonder if it will spread to Kingston upon Thames, it looks rather ghetto here with the burnt out council tower block. I may loot the fine cheeses store as there is a jolly good selection of imported organic italian goats cheese.

Make sure you post a celebratory photo of you with your looted selection of cheeses.

Raydeen said:
mashing and burning down shops for a new pair of Nike or Addidas = DIE!!!!

Ironically these brands stand for a lot of abuse and misery in the countries they make these products. I dont really care for their damages, they can handle it as they have actual blood on their hands. On the other hand civilians getting hurt is disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom