• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Jintor said:
Chi, poms ARE brits

Oh, ok. Maybe I meant cheese eating surrender monkeys? My non-American slang is horrible.

Tremas

Twitter is still buzzing with reports. Haven't paid much attention to the news besides BBC, which has pretty much ignored any of the latest developments from what I've seen.

Oh, and a local secondary school was looted and ransacked.

Tremas said:
Twitter is still buzzing with reports. Haven't paid much attention to the news besides BBC, which has pretty much ignored any of the latest developments from what I've seen.

Oh, and a local secondary school was looted and ransacked.

Fuck's sake.

Jezbollah

As I said earlier on in this thread - people are now just jumping on the bandwagon and are going out causing damage for the sake of it. I bet 90%+ of what were seeing now has zero to do with the root cause of why this violence kicked off...

It's terrible. My friend lives near to all this he went to the cinema last night and now apparently the cinema is on fire (after he left). And the violence has spread to where his nan lives - he can hear helicopters and sirens and stuff must be really horrible to be around.

Lucius86

Banned
I will be driving through Brixton on my way to work - will take a slight detour to look at Currys, then will head through the high street.

Lucius86 said:
I will be driving through Brixton on my way to work - will take a slight detour to look at Currys, then will head through the high street.

Had a friend in Brixton say she could see the riot police putting their gear on already. (I'm in the U.S., btw)

madmackem

I hope they all get done, i hate how they are using this so called killing as an excuse to steal and smash shit up. I hope they catch the lot of them and toss the book at them.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh for fucks sake. The residents of Brixton have been working hard over the years to remove the terrible reputation it has and this happens.

SmokyDave

Is it time to release the hounds yet?

Hell, let's be honest, we have no hounds to release. Let's watch as the government ineffectually throw ASBO's at the problem.

It must be quite the eye-opener for the authorities. What power do they really have?

We should have a London-GAF check in...

Decided against going to work today, so did my dad and my sister (she works on Noel Street next to SCE London/Team Soho so her tube station is Oxford Circus).

Going to see what the situation is and whether the police will have law and order back in place for tonight. I don't know where the fuck Theresa May is, but she needs to be approving the use of force against the shits.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
zomgbbqftw said:
We should have a London-GAF check in...

Decided against going to work today, so did my dad and my sister (she works on Noel Street next to SCE London/Team Soho so her tube station is Oxford Circus).

Going to see what the situation is and whether the police will have law and order back in place for tonight. I don't know where the fuck Theresa May is, but she needs to be approving the use of force against the shits.

off for two days, phew, work up regent street, (that wouldn't get attacked?!?!) hopefully places near me stay calm, Coming to the south in Brixton and possibly streatham is a bit too close for comfort... I am on the border of greenwich and lewisham, Woolwich, new cross and dept ford, not far from me either & peckham and Elephant is just up the road from new cross if it kicks off I am fucked... :(

edit: though woolwich does have a big army barracks, hmmm...

Ninja Dom

On my way in to work now. From North West London to Central London.

I live over the street from Hendon Police College and all seems calm there. When it was the March 2011 London protests all of the riot vans and super-police got ready there.

Brixton station is still closed. Let's see how the day goes.

ittoryu

I am at work now in Great Marlbourough Street (SCEE) close to Oxford Circus and everything is calm at the moment.

ittoryu

SmokyDave said:
What power do they really have?

No power at all. I love how British police work, they are probably the best in Europe but at the same time I can sense how powerless they can be in some situations.

And Boris is on holiday.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
the sun is reporting there has been over 100 arrests and over 100m damage so far

Keio

For a Finer World
ittoryu said:
I am at work now in Great Marlbourough Street (SCEE) close to Oxford Circus and everything is calm at the moment.
We need a lot of posts like this.

This thread makes it sound like the zombie apocalypse has happened in London :)

besiktas1

I agree with the police having no power thing... In Turkey this problem would have ended before it started. Batons, water guns, tear gas and whatever the fuck they want to stop motherfuckers becoming rowdy...

The latter area's local Labour MP, Stella Creasy, said that branches of Argos, BHS and Barclays were all attacked, while angry locals said that looters asked them for directions to shops and banks.

'ere love, where is the Barclays bank? Need to...withdraw some money

Jintor

Keio said:

I would love (hate) to see the zombie apocolypse unfold over social media + forums

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
They'd better get these twats under control by the weekend, it's riciulous that we don't seem to stop this. It's pretty embarrassing with the Olympics around the corner.

If it messes up the football...

Alx

Keio said:

That's no surprise... when similar events happened in Paris, if you listened to the media it was civil war, although you wouldn't even notice it in most of the city.

After the events of the last few days, I feel ashamed to call myself a North Londoner.

I live near Wood Green, and I passed by the High Street on Sunday. All of the phone shops, the HMV and JD Sports were looted and various other shops had been smashed to pieces.

Whilst the protest in Tottenham and the escalation of it into a riot has some grounds of justification (although personally I don't see it), the trouble in surrounding areas is completely unwarranted and unjust. The unruly are simply taking this opportunity to line their pockets and steal as much as they can. There is blatant criminal behaviour in full public view and those responsible just don't give a fuck. There is no hidden agenda or political principle on show here, just mindless criminal activity for no reason other than being able to get away with it.

And in the meantime, our glorious mayor sips a glass of wine in Tuscany and both PM and deputy PM are away on holiday.

It really does feel as if the world is beginning to fall apart. If this situation can escalate so quickly and rapidly over a minor incident, it really worries me what will happen as the economy continues to go down the shitter and the lower classes feel the squeeze.

Meatpuppet said:

Fuckin' love the Daily Mash.

"You have to go in there having memorised exactly what you want. Also - and this is something that middle class women always forget - you have to be able to carry it."

But Jane Thompson, a landscape architect from Finsbury Park, said she was forming a local co-operative so that busy working mothers can get together early in the morning to have coffee and loot very large appliances.

She added: "We'll take it in turns to choose something hefty. I'd like a Smeg fridge, but some weeks it might be a dishwasher or a piano.

caramac

ChiTownBuffalo said:
I dunno that there are alot of Gaffers that remember the riots of 4/29/92. Or they weren't in the LA area.

I was. It was...well, I hope this doesn't sound superfluous, but the closest I'll ever come to fighting in a war. Being made to hang out on a roof of a Korean market with a rifle, while a bunch of other store owner set up firing positions in the parking lots.

Does this pic mean anything to you Chi?

21cz1af.jpg

Bleepey

CaramaC said:
Does this pic mean anything to you Chi?

21cz1af.jpg

I dunno that there are alot of Gaffers that remember the riots of 4/29/92. Or they weren't in the LA area.

I was. It was...well, I hope this doesn't sound superfluous, but the closest I'll ever come to fighting in a war. Being made to hang out on a roof of a Korean market with a rifle, while a bunch of other store owner set up firing positions in the parking lot
s.

How old were you during the riots.
After the events of the last few days, I feel ashamed to call myself a North Londoner.

I live near Wood Green, and I passed by the High Street on Sunday. All of the phone shops, the HMV and JD Sports were looted and various other shops had been smashed to pieces.

Whilst the protest in Tottenham and the escalation of it into a riot has some grounds of justification (although personally I don't see it), the trouble in surrounding areas is completely unwarranted and unjust. The unruly are simply taking this opportunity to line their pockets and steal as much as they can. There is blatant criminal behaviour in full public view and those responsible just don't give a fuck. There is no hidden agenda or political principle on show here, just mindless criminal activity for no reason other than being able to get away with it.

And in the meantime, our glorious mayor sips a glass of wine in Tuscany and both PM and deputy PM are away on holiday.

It really does feel as if the world is beginning to fall apart. If this situation can escalate so quickly and rapidly over a minor incident, it really worries me what will happen as the economy continues to go down the shitter and the lower classes feel the squeeze.

I know how you feel, i am ashamed to call myself a Londoner. Man, i don't know what these idiots are thinking.

PJV3

If the bullet turns out to be police issue we will have real rioters as well as these morons running around, i should buy shares in a brick making company.

PJV3 said:
If the bullet turns out to be police issue we will have real rioters as well as these morons running around, i should buy shares in a brick making company.
For real, the IPCC announcement can't come soon enough. Jobs need to roll at the Met, either way.

PJV3

Visualante said:
For real, the IPCC announcement can't come soon enough. Jobs need to roll at the Met, either way.

I don't think there are many left after the hacking scandal, somebody needs to get fired for buying over engineered bullet proof radios.

ittoryu

10.04am: The home secretary, Theresa May, is thought to be in her way back to the country today to talk to police and take charge of the situation

That's according to the Guardian: it was about time.

PJV3 said:

we don't know what happened yet.and even if it was, was the guy a bystander just minding his own or was he there with the gang?

panda21

evil solrac v3.0 said:
we don't know what happened yet.and even if it was, was the guy a bystander just minding his own or was he there with the gang?

i thought it was pretty clear that the guy had a gun, shot at the police so they shot him?

panda21 said:
i thought it was pretty clear that the guy had a gun, shot at the police so they shot him?

No. This isn't so much about the shooting. There are two issues involved here. One is the general distrust and tension between the youths in the black community and the Police, which was exasperated by the rumours of a coverup regarding the killing of Duggan (initial ballistic reports suggest that the bullet that hit the other policeman actually came from the firearm of a police officer rather than Duggan). It all came out when a group within those protesting started to get violent. That then became an incentive for others in the area to join destroying vehicles and also loot which leads us to the second issue. The vast majority of these are not motivated by an ideology or a sense of persecution but pure desire to cause mayhem. Some have theorised deep social issues as a the reason for this

PJV3

panda21 said:

There's been talk today of the bullet being a police issue round, i don't know where that's come from but its been mentioned on BBC and Sky.

^ what he said.

panda21 said:

The Guardian and others are indicating that that may not be the case. Ie the bullet which was lodged in the police radio being a police-issued one

SteveWD40 said:
It's not even rioting anymore, just gangs looting and the Police being wary of wading in hoping it will die down.

Therein lies the problem. The police are taking the softly softly approach and these guys are getting away with it, it makes them more bold. Show them real consequences with broken legs and arms and busted skulls. Then see how many turn out. Get the armed response guys out there with rubber bullets. Fucking tear gas the hell out of them.

I like the idea of hitting them with smart water/paint so you mark targets for later arrest.

PJV3 said:
There's been talk today of the bullet being a police issue round, i don't know where that's come from but its been mentioned on BBC and Sky.

^ what he said.
It came from the IPCC's initial tests. Meus Renaissance great post.

Meadows

Banned
WHY THE FUCK ARE ALL OF OUR POLITICIANS ON HOLIDAY????

1st in Command (Cameron): Is on holiday
2nd in Command (Clegg): Is on holiday
3rd in Command (Hague): Is here but he's a bit of a dipshit
4th in Command (May): Is on holiday
5th in Command (Osbourne): Is on holiday
The mayor of London (Johnson): Is on holiday

Who fucking scheduled this? Who thought, ah let's all piss off and leave Hague in charge for a couple of weeks? What could happen? Oh, a second economic collapse and the breakdown of social order in the capital? Could be worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom