• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokyDave

Meadows said:
Who fucking scheduled this? Who though, ah let's all piss off and leave Hague in charge for a couple of weeks?
They always have a summer recess. Can't be working all year 'round you know, need some time to enjoy the spoils of their expenses.

Meadows said:
Who fucking scheduled this? Who thought, ah let's all piss off and leave Hague in charge for a couple of weeks? What could happen? Oh, a second economic collapse and the breakdown of social order in the capital? Could be worse.

Its like Season 2 of Battlestar Galactica when Colonel Tigh assumes command and ends up declaring martial law. Hague is bald too, but he's not cool enough to do that. And he wouldn't suit an eye patch.

zomgbbqftw said:
Therein lies the problem. The police are taking the softly softly approach and these guys are getting away with it, it makes them more bold. Show them real consequences with broken legs and arms and busted skulls. Then see how many turn out. Get the armed response guys out there with rubber bullets. Fucking tear gas the hell out of them.

I like the idea of hitting them with smart water/paint so you mark targets for later arrest.

That always makes things better.

radioheadrule83 said:
Its like Season 2 of Battlestar Galactica when Colonel Tigh assumes command and ends up declaring martial law. Hague is bald too, but he's not cool enough to do that. And he wouldn't suit an eye patch.

Another BSG fan. Brofist.jpg

Meadows said:
WHY THE FUCK ARE ALL OF OUR POLITICIANS ON HOLIDAY????

1st in Command (Cameron): Is on holiday
2nd in Command (Clegg): Is on holiday
3rd in Command (Hague): Is here but he's a bit of a dipshit
4th in Command (May): Is on holiday
5th in Command (Osbourne): Is on holiday
The mayor of London (Johnson): Is on holiday

Who fucking scheduled this? Who thought, ah let's all piss off and leave Hague in charge for a couple of weeks? What could happen? Oh, a second economic collapse and the breakdown of social order in the capital? Could be worse.

Dave doesn't need to come back, but May and Boris do. Boris is losing the election today by not coming back. People are seeing their streets burn and their mayor is on a beach somewhere in Florida.

Supposedly Theresa May is on a plan home though and should touch down in a couple of hours to take command. Hopefully she hauls Boris back, he needs to be here to give the people some cheer and reassure us.

Meadows said:

Clegg looks to be back and he just gave an interview saying the looting had nothing to do with the shooting (which I agree with). Home Secretary is coming back today. I dont think they expected it to go beyond a single night

Meadows

Banned
SmokyDave said:
They always have a summer recess. Can't be working all year 'round you know, need some time to enjoy the spoils of their expenses.

I know they have to have time off, in fact I'm relatively compassionate about their new ridiculously harsh expenses rules, we should be treating our MPs a bit better if they're running the country, it's just the duck pond stuff that's the problem.

My issue is that they're all off at once, surely they could stagger it so at least the PM and deputy PM (who's job it is to cover for the PM if needed) are off at different times. The country has no leadership. People will see Hague on TV and it won't give them confidence in anything. Say what you want about Cameron but he's a decent speaker and can probably give the right speech at the right time, same with Clegg (or at least Clegg a year ago, poor chap looks so sad these days :()

Meadows said:

It was pretty pathetic to see Clegg so aggressive to the BBC about it when they asked if people would come back from Holiday. It's a pretty valid question. I respect that they need Holiday but things aren't going so well. The deputy Mayor is claiming that internet telephony is good enough to manage it.

PJV3

Meadows said:

Osborne is in Disney Land, which i think is code for 11 Downing St.

Meadows

Banned
Oh, they absolutely shouldn't come running back, apart from May and Boris (law and order situation in London needs leadership), if Cameron/Osbourne came running back it'd spook the markets as Zomg has said.

Meadows

Banned
I'm pretty sure this will stay in the capital tbh. Don't know about Birmingham but Manchester doesn't seem like it could be swept by this kind of thing. Plus GMP go in fucking hard.

Prine

Banned
I dont understand the mindset of people who obviously break the law then get irritated with Police for pressing them. As if they're entitled to special treatment because they lack the drive to endure hardships.

These morons cannot cry victim while making innocent people victims of their rage.

besiktas1

Was sitting at a bus stop outside a barber shop and listening to the group of guys outside it... smh.

Typical bullshit. Also they said people are going to do it again tonight... facepalm.

SmokyDave

besiktas1 said:
Was sitting at a bus stop outside a barber shop and listening to the group of guys outside it... smh.

Typical bullshit. Also they said people are going to do it again tonight... facepalm.
Why wouldn't they do it again? If they've learnt anything so far it's that their shenanigans will go largely unopposed. They have nothing better going on in their lives and they aren't interested in anything we have to offer them.

Ah, hang on, Theresa May is on her way back. Perhaps they'll tremble in fear and keep their heads down.

Meadows said:
I'm pretty sure this will stay in the capital tbh. Don't know about Birmingham but Manchester doesn't seem like it could be swept by this kind of thing. Plus GMP go in fucking hard.
I have no fear of it spreading to the Midlands at all. London is a special case.

Meadows

Banned
Fucking estate rats are ruining the city :(

Family of shot man: "He was a really good person, just in with the bad crowd (or whatever they said)".

He had a fucking gun. He got shot by the police because he pointed a gun at them, the day after, you go on the streets and protest, even though the IPCC are on the case and are very good at being unbiased.

Don't protest until you know what's gone on you fucking idiots. I understand you're probably sad that your gangster son got shot by the police but if it wasn't them it would have been some other hood rat. If you didn't want it to happen you should have raised him better.

And lol at the looters using his death as an excuse "Someone in some other part of London pulled a gun on the police and got shot and killed, so let's go and break into Comet and steal an iPhone", probably interjected with "blat", "blud" and "nigga" (yes even the white/asian hood rats). Cunts. Absolute cunts. Not even worth putting in prison, it'll cost the tax-payer too much. We need to humiliate these fuckers by making all of the rioters do community service in specially coloured high-vis jackets, to clean up the mess they made.

edit:

They should also meet with the owners of the businesses they ransacked. Not the big ones, they've got insurance and billions of pounds. I'm talking about that Black couple with their own hairdresser's in Enfield who had loads of wigs/hairspray/shampoo stoled, or that old White guy in Tottenham who's shop was fucked up. Prison is too good for these fuckers. No I don't care what the European high court say about their human rights if we make them do community service in specially coloured hi-vis jackets.

SteveWD40

Meadows said:

Damn skippy, we don't have the urban decay of some London shitholes, despite the myth (Longsight, Gorton, Moss Side and Salford all have issues but not like London burbs do) and the GMP won't fuck about, even on a match day / derby day there are hundreds of them, armed / riot and patrol all over the place.

Added to which, it's not a trend / movement with a unified voice that could spread, just scrotes being scrotes emboldened by a riot and the Met seeming to want to let it die down rather than go in hard.

They need to spike the local fast food shitholes with Valium, that will be do the job.

Pendulum

ittoryu said:
I am at work now in Great Marlbourough Street (SCEE) close to Oxford Circus and everything is calm at the moment.
You guys make it sound like Oxford Street is the next to go up in flames. That won't happen. It's High Streets close to lower socio-economic residential areas that will continue to be targeted.

The thing about him pointing a gun...he's allegedly one of the 'elders' of that gang and whilst the family may deny he would have a gun, what makes it extraordinary is that he would point the gun at armed police. He better than anyone would know the consequences of that. By the same token, I find hard to believe they would shoot him without good reason. The bullet in the radio not being his was already a dramatic development if later confirmed, but I suspect it may not be the last twist in this story.

Quite a few people here carry or have access to pistols and sub-machine guns but none of them are stupid enough to point it armed police - why would anyone put a gun in front of a group of people that have guns pointed at you?

besiktas1

SmokyDave said:
Why wouldn't they do it again? If they've learnt anything so far it's that their shenanigans will go largely unopposed. They have nothing better going on in their lives and they aren't interested in anything we have to offer them.

It's such a bad "look" for us Londoners. I've had people from Turkey msg'ing me asking if I'm ok, when really it's not that a big a deal. Also pretty sure if the police dealt with this day one with proper force then none of this bullshit would have carried on.

Prine

Banned
Pendulum said:
You guys make it sound like Oxford Street is the next to go up in flames. That won't happen. It's High Streets close to lower socio-economic residential areas that will continue to be targeted.

Yup, they'll have to top up their oyster cards to reach Oxford St. Oxford st is safe.

Meadows

Banned
It was probably a heat of the moment thing. I don't know if you're trying to insinuate that the coppers might have planted the gun on him but I don't even know why that would make sense. It isn't Columbia or Venezuela, we have among the strictest police gun control in the world, even the use of tasers is automatically assessed by the IPCC.

Make no mistake, this fucker did something wrong, the police aren't just going to repeat the Menezes thing.

ittoryu

"London's mayor, Boris Johnson, is refusing to follow Theresa May's lead and cut short his holiday despite rioting in the city. His stance has been defended by Kit Malthouse, the deputy mayor for policing in London, who said a return would "kind of reward" criminality."

Sigh, Boris, you should be ashamed. Cycle the fuck back in town.

Prine

Banned
Yeah, from what we know and a copper with bullet wound im leaning towards the deceased guy confronting armed police with a gun.

His nature doesn't mean much when he acts recklessly in the moment. You can be assured the Police will not shoot you, but the Police don't have that guarantee from a mobster pointing a gun at them.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Meus Renaissance said:
The thing about him pointing a gun...he's allegedly one of the 'elders' of that gang and whilst the family may deny he would have a gun, what makes it extraordinary is that he would point the gun at armed police. He better than anyone would know the consequences of that. By the same token, I find hard to believe they would shoot him without good reason. The bullet in the radio not being his was already a dramatic development if later confirmed, but I suspect it may not be the last twist in this story.

Quite a few people here carry or have access to pistols and sub-machine guns but none of them are stupid enough to point it armed police - why would anyone put a gun in front of a group of people that have guns pointed at you?

As well as the ballistics report about the bullet being police issue, the gun recovered from the scene was in a sock. So seems like he was carrying one, but it wasn't used and sounds like he didn't have time to do much at all.

The full report will fill in the details, but it's enough already to inflame the situation and imply a trigger-happy cop and a police cover-up in the aftermath again.

Meadows said:
It was probably a heat of the moment thing. I don't know if you're trying to insinuate that the coppers might have planted the gun on him but I don't even know why that would make sense. It isn't Columbia or Venezuela, we have among the strictest police gun control in the world, even the use of tasers is automatically assessed by the IPCC.

Make no mistake, this fucker did something wrong, the police aren't just going to repeat the Menezes thing.

Lol no, the idea of them planting it makes no sense either. As far as I'm aware they only shoot when a the suspect goes for a gun or aims at them - a scenario that doesn't make sense either. Trident was involved and he was being followed that night, so bloke isn't an innocent chap randomly caught up. It was reported that the police followed him in an unmarked vehicle so its possible he didn't realise who was in the car let alone that they were armed.

DECK'ARD said:
As well as the ballistics report about the bullet being police issue, the gun recovered from the scene was in a sock. So seems like he was carrying one, but it wasn't used and sounds like he didn't have time to do much at all.

Wasn't aware of that.

SmokyDave

Hearing rumblings that Clumber Street in Notts might be a target for our St Anns & Meadows crews. Lots of phone and sports shops. If that happens, I will happily stroll into town and throw bricks at the looters. Mind you, if gangs from those 2 areas show up they'll be too busy fighting each other to loot anything.

Meadows

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
Lol no, the idea of them planting it makes no sense either. As far as I'm aware they only shoot when a the suspect goes for a gun or aims at them - a scenario that doesn't make sense either. Trident was involved and he was being followed that night, so bloke isn't an innocent chap randomly caught up. It was reported that the police followed him in an unmarked vehicle so its possible he didn't realise who was in the car let alone that they were armed.

Police are required to shout "ARMED POLICE, ARMED POLICE" when in possession of a gun and in pursuit of a suspect. After the Menezes thing you can bet it was drilled into them.

I'd like to add something about the Broadwater Farm estate. Whilst I can't say anything about Mark Duggan and his involvement with the police, the estate is notorious for trouble. Although on the news they mention the riots and murder of a police officer in the 80's, as far as I am aware, another police officer was also murdered in the estate just a few years ago. He was answering a call by himself at the estate, and was ambushed, then beaten and killed. For this reason, the police won't actually go into the estate unless they are heavily numbered / equipped and there is a lot of fear in the surrounding area of the estate and it's residents. As the police don't often service the area, the criminal element in the estate has grown and grown. I personally won't go within a mile of the area, and that was before the events of the weekend.

This has lead to serious problems in the area and it's vicinity between the police and locals. The police are noticeably tougher and have more attitude when dealing with crime and residents of this area, and as a result, the residents have a more confrontational and aggressive attitude to policing in the area. That's why the initial riot on Saturday in Tottenham was to a certain extent "waiting to happen."

What's needed long term is some sort of urban rejuvination project. I live in Wood Green these days, but 20 years ago, if you asked me if I wanted to live there, I would have told you that I would rather live in a sewer, such was the bad reputation of the area. However, millions were spent upgrading the shopping mall and high street and as a result, the area is actually fairly pleasant. Or at least I thought so until the twats and morons who also populate the area and it's surroundings decided to riot.

Of course with the economy in tatters such investment is a pipe-dream. It means such areas are going to remain as shitholes and the problems associated with them will just increase.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Meus Renaissance said:
Wasn't aware of that.

It's part of the Guardian report, unconfirmed by police yet though.

The fact a police officer was nearly killed by another police officer though is enough to say that things didn't go down as planned. I read another report that said the bullet that killed Duggan and the one that hit the police officer's radio came from the same gun. It does sound like someone panicked.

Expecting worse tonight, mixture of anger from Tottenham at these reports and a lot of people trying their luck at their local shops :/

DiscoJer

Meadows said:

While it might be rare in the UK, it's not that uncommon for police in the US to do this. There was a big trial about this just ending now, over a shooting during Katrina

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2011/08/danziger_jury_gives_new_orlean.html

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...YmqiEw?docId=98868417f0f747cfb0516322db0b5cf3

(What truly amazes me in this case, even though a bunch of cops opened up on a bunch of people and killed two, none of the cops were convicted of murder. Only lesser charges)

TheGoldenGunman said:
I'd like to add something about the Broadwater Farm estate. Whilst I can't say anything about Mark Duggan and his involvement with the police, the estate is notorious for trouble. Although on the news they mention the riots and murder of a police officer in the 80's, as far as I am aware, another police officer was also murdered in the estate just a few years ago. He was answering a call by himself at the estate, and was ambushed, then beaten and killed. For this reason, the police won't actually go into the estate unless they are heavily numbered / equipped and there is a lot of fear in the surrounding area of the estate and it's residents. As the police don't often service the area, the criminal element in the estate has grown and grown. I personally won't go within a mile of the area, and that was before the events of the weekend.

This has lead to serious problems in the area and it's vicinity between the police and locals. The police are noticeably tougher and have more attitude when dealing with crime and residents of this area, and as a result, the residents have a more confrontational and aggressive attitude to policing in the area. That's why the initial riot on Saturday in Tottenham was to a certain extent "waiting to happen."

What's needed long term is some sort of urban rejuvination project. I live in Wood Green these days, but 20 years ago, if you asked me if I wanted to live there, I would have told you that I would rather live in a sewer, such was the bad reputation of the area. However, millions were spent upgrading the shopping mall and high street and as a result, the area is actually fairly pleasant. Or at least I thought so until the twats and morons who also populate the area and it's surroundings decided to riot.

Of course with the economy in tatters such investment is a pipe-dream. It means such areas are going to remain as shitholes and the problems associated with them will just increase.

Wood Green is still a shithole.

Jezbollah

I fucking hate the A406 with the current Palmers Green roadworks. Takes a third of my total commute just to get through half a mile of traffic :(

lopaz

Banned
Meadows said:
(yes even the white hood rats).

All 3 of them

TheGoldenGunman said:

Yay let's reward rioting with investment and youth centres. Instead of a baton to the skull

Saw a poll in the Guardian saying Boris should come back, I know it's the Guardian, but even my parents and sister (non political) are starting to get irritated that Boris isn’t coming back. This is his city that is going up in flames. If the looting continues into a third evening it will turn into a resigning matter for Boris. He should be on the plane back now, it’s 7am EST, he could be here by 8pm UK time to to do a joint press briefing with the Home Sec on their plans to quell the violence and how business will be compensated.

Instead we have a leaderless city and police hamstrung by health and safety concerns.

Raist

Banned
And to think Brits point and laugh at France when similar stuff happens... :p

Anyway, nothing happening at all around London Bridge. Not surprising, but I thought I might as well report since some people here seem to think that the whole city is going down in flames.

Meadows

Banned
lopaz said:
All 3 of them

No, there are a large amount of white youths in these gangs. Mostly wannabees but also chavs from around the estates.

Gang membership is equal opportunity in the UK :p

Xavien

lopaz said:
All 3 of them

Yay let's reward rioting with investment and youth centres. Instead of a baton to the skull

Lets address the issues before it gets to rioting?

Meus Renaissance said:
Boris needs to be on the frontlines with his baton and dog.

On the front line he'd probably want everyone to sit down and sing Kumbaya together.

SmokyDave

Raist said:
And to think Brits point and laugh at France when similar stuff happens... :p
Well, no, not really. We don't find it funny and I think many had noted the similarities between the banlieue of Paris and the council estates in London.

This situation sucks for both of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom