• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

I was supposed to be going to the East End next Saturday for a Capcom event. Gonna give it a miss now. I know anything could happen in the space of 2 weeks but it's better to be safe than sorry. East End is hardly a jewel in London's crown, even without the threat of rioting.

I just got turfed out of the gym in Romford about 30 minutes ago. The Police are telling all the shops to shut and people to go home, but I didn't see much going on save a few isolated gangs of kids about (business as usual then!). There were two Police vans and a squad car parked up by the fire station on my way home, but they seemed to be arresting a car full of 15 year old chavs who robbed some girls at the bus stop there, from what I could gather.

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
I was supposed to be going to the East End next Saturday for a Capcom event. Gonna give it a miss now. I know anything could happen in the space of 2 weeks but it's better to be safe than sorry. East End is hardly a jewel in London's crown, even without the threat of rioting.

Nah, it will be fine within two weeks. I think the police will go softly softly for one more night and then break out the tasers and tear gas.

ThisWreckage said:
I disagree with the people saying that violence will just escalate things. Make an example out of someone and others will fall in line.

Violence only escalates matters when the rioters have some kind of cause or ideology. These guys have nothing except a massive sense of entitlement to free stuff. Violence would send them packing.

Passing home through Wood Green and it was a virtual ghost town, all shops closed or closing with everyone getting off the streets as quickly as possible...

This was just after 4.30pm. These thugs are holding people hostage...:/

Carbonox

zomgbbqftw said:
Nah, it will be fine within two weeks. I think the police will go softly softly for one more night and then break out the tasers and tear gas.

I'll still keep an eye out on the troubles (this thread is doing a good job at keeping everyone up to date) but right now I'm now of the idea that I shouldn't go. Not 100% on the decision but yeah, anything could happen really. Let's hope the police step up and break some bones.

zomgbbqftw said:
Violence only escalates matters when the rioters have some kind of cause or ideology. These guys have nothing except a massive sense of entitlement to free stuff. Violence would send them packing.

Especially when they're just dealing with stupid punks who think smashing store windows and setting cars on fire is "cool".

Lerozz

Hackney. Does not even help when you close the blinds. Motherf*ckers ... :(

london12.jpg

I used to deliver newspapers on Mare Street when I was a kid. Sad that it's come to this. Not a hint of "protest" at all, just a bunch of scumbags finding an excuse to steal and destroy. Nuke the site from orbit!

SmokyDave

Speedymanic said:
Passing home through Wood Green and it was a virtual ghost town, all shops closed or closing with everyone getting off the streets as quickly as possible...

This was just after 4.30pm. These thugs are holding people hostage...:/
They've been doing that for years. Now it's in the open, we'll see if society has the mettle to deal with it.

My vote goes to vigilante counter-looters. We get some coaches down there, crack some heads while the Po stand aside and then we put all that shit back.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
SmokyDave said:
My vote goes to vigilante counter-looters. We get some coaches down there, crack some heads while the Po stand aside and then we put all that shit back.

Right on. That's a language these fucks will understand.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Get me some strikebreakers, the kind they had in the '30s.

SmokyDave said:
They've been doing that for years. Now it's in the open, we'll see if society has the mettle to deal with it.

That would be my wet dream. I'd love to see something like that happen.

SmokyDave said:

gene.jpg

Lucius86

Banned
Brixton was surprisingly worse than I expected. Footlocker was totally burnt out, the high street is blocked even now.

A few of my mates live in Hackney & Hackney Wick. They are staying at a mates for tonight - living above a William Hill isn't the safest place...

Bleepey

zomgbbqftw said:
God I hope no one dies. If they do the police vengeance will be something to see. You can tell they are just waiting to fuck some of these shits up.

I want the police to go in hard, no lube. I hate these motherfuckers so much.

Raydeen

Gary Whitta said:
I used to deliver newspapers on Mare Street when I was a kid. Sad that it's come to this. Not a hint of "protest" at all, just a bunch of scumbags finding an excuse to steal and destroy. Nuke the site from orbit!
No wonder the book of eli wasteland was so well realised.

What a shame...its really come a long way in last few years and was really turning perceptions. Little shits. On 388 bus, going into Hackney in a few secs...prob good time to put smartphone away.

avaya

We need the god damn LAPD up in this bitch. Time to stop pussyfooting around, police can't hope this will die down by itself. The low life are emboldened by the lack of police retaliation. Rubber bullets, tear gas water cannon, Jack Bauer, microwave weapons, sonic weapons. All of it. Just bring it.

Watching BBC video feed of idiot hoodies smashing the windows of a Ladbrokes. Utter scum. Just drop a fucking fuel air bomb in there and get it over with.

raphier

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Watching live BBC video feed of idiot hoodies smashing the windows of a Labrokes. Just drop a fucking fuel air bomb in there and get it over.
They're just expressing aggression. What's the best way to release tension than by playing some...oh wait :p

SmokyDave

The police can't do a damned thing with the spectre of Ian Tomlinson hanging over their shoulder. They will not be able to stop this.

Chinner

Banned
SmokyDave said:
The police can't do a damned thing with the spectre of Ian Tomlinson hanging over their shoulder. They will not be able to stop this.
get your hammer, we're going to london, lad.

"Young people who feel vulnerable feel that there's no jobs, there's no future, there's no prospects. They feel that nobody cares about them so they don't care."

What a load of bollocks. I grew up in that area of London - during the Thatcher years, when it was worse than it is now - and you never saw me or any of my friends smashing up shops. It's true that there are few prospects for hoodie scum who'd rather hang around shopping precincts sniffing glue and scaring old people than do anything productive. But if some of these punks ever bothered to clean up their act, read a book and actually try looking for a fucking job instead of sponging off the state they'd find that there are more interesting and gratifying options in life. So sick of people blaming society for the actions of lazy, ignorant individuals.

Holy shit, I've turned into Norman Tebbit!

Pendulum

KennyLinder said:
Can't they get fire engines out and spray them down? Fill it with horse shit maybe?

If I heard correct (I'm a foreigner living in London), water cannons are not allowed here in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom