• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reporter on BBC News just sounded like she shat herself
KuGsj.gif

SmokyDave

So, we have a bunch of soldiers lying around in Afghanistan, a rioting section of the populace and totally ineffective police. Hmmm...

marrec

Banned
Dan27 said:
Another one for the drinking game:

"When you hear reporters calling rioters "Anarchists", take a drink"

What would you call them? Seems fairly apt... though if the goal of your game is to get drunk then it's probably better to take a sip for every utterance of the word Anarchist... I think you'll be hearing it a lot in relation to the... Anarchists.

SteveWD40

Riot happens

Police pull back trying to let it die down

Looters have a free reign

Word spreads that it's easy to loot if you are mob handed

UK starts to panic that we are all about to get looted (lol)

The police will crack down on this like the wrath of God once they can be certain it won't break into a riot again, you think they can't? My brother in law is in the Armed Response unit for the met and he says, if they are required to they can deploy in a heartbeat with enough force to shit up any mob, they have held off as they are hoping it will pass and don't want any more pictures of burning cars / buildings on the news.

What should happen is the full clockwork orange. These young people are feeling disenfranchised and violent. People want the police to be more violent. The obvious solution is to enfranchise these youths by recruiting them into the police and telling them to be more violent than regular police. Everyone is happy.

Jezbollah

marrec said:
What would you call them? Seems fairly apt... though if the goal of your game is to get drunk then it's probably better to take a sip for every utterance of the word Anarchist... I think you'll be hearing it a lot in relation to the... Anarchists.

"Anarchist" as a description has been a favorite drama word of the tabloid media since the Anti-Captalist riots of ten years ago - the use of the word when it came to riots wasnt used extensively before then. It seems like a cheap and easy way to crank up the cheesyness of any live news report covering such events.

Raydeen

Oh god, this girl talking. This is why these modern youths will never get taken seriously. You would *never* employ someone who spoke like that. :(

Right I'm off, got to catch my bus...to Hackney. Arses.

brucewaynegretzky said:
How is this story not getting more international coverage? I will never understand how stories get prioritized by the media.
Because it doesn't have any relevance. It's just a bunch of kids out nicking stuff because they can get away with it. There's no message, there's no meaning, there's no reason why anyone outside London would care.

marrec

Banned
Dan27 said:
"Anarchist" as a description has been a favorite drama word of the tabloid media since the Anti-Captalist riots of ten years ago - the use of the word when it came to riots wasnt used extensively before then. It seems like a cheap and easy way to crank up the cheesyness of any live news report covering such events.

It may be cheesy but just calling them Rioters doesn't have the same impact as Anarchist. Some people just want to watch the world burn, and some people just want a free pair of Nikes. Both of these people are Anarchists.

Also, there aren't a lot of synonyms for 'punk youth who is smashing shit up for no reason'.

It does make for a good game though.

brucewaynegretzky said:
How is this story not getting more international coverage? I will never understand how stories get prioritized by the media.

Because we have our own riot in America. Of course, ours is taking place inside buildings on Wall Street and the only thing that's burning is some poor saps 401k.

SmokyDave

Raydeen said:
Oh god, this girl talking.
Yup. Came to post something along these lines. I remember why I don't watch BBC news, Londoners. Speak properly!

radioheadrule83 said:
Its going to annoy me when the Beeb and all the papers go into overdrive trying to contextualise this politically and socially. These thieving little shits don't need to explain themselves, they'll have all the countries media trying to make excuses for them... you can just bet on it.
Yup, you're not wrong.

More Fun To Compute said:
What should happen is the full clockwork orange. These young people are feeling disenfranchised and violent. People want the police to be more violent. The obvious solution is to enfranchise these youths by recruiting them into the police and telling them to be more violent than regular police. Everyone is happy.
I'm pretty sure the British Empire used the tactic of recruiting natives into their army when they invaded other countries.

SteveWD40

Napoleonthechimp said:
I'm pretty sure the British Empire used the tactic of recruiting natives into their army when they invaded other countries.

Yup, same way the Romans did, makes you stronger and less risk to your own young male population.

Jezbollah

ProfessorMoran said:
Shooting a gang member with a gun is considered a bad thing?

A gang member in that part of London is pretty much an accepted member of the community (ok - I say that with some sarcasm).. Add in that there are doubts that he was actually armed, and that theres reports of the bullet he supposidly shot being identified as police issue after ballistic tests and you have a nice little tinder box right there.

marrec

Banned
Napoleonthechimp said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that not working out for them in the Boer Wars?

I haven't brushed up on that area of history in quite some time.

Wilbur

Banned
We've shut the shop early in Croydon, a lot of police in the high street warning of potential riots and a lot of closed shops.

THE:MILKMAN

ProfessorMoran said:
He's going to need the protein supplement to get pumped up so he doesn't get raped in the ass while in jail.

No. That's the welcome pack at the average youth offenders institute.............

Temrer

Neo Member
radioheadrule83 said:
Pleb was always in common colloquial use in Liverpool when I was younger, it probably still is - I don't know. Sadly though, I don't think half the people who used to say it back then knew what it meant.
Pleb is still used but I don't think it's used as much as it was ten years ago. 'Scall' has never been defeated by 'chav' though.

Hoping this doesn't spread outside of London :( They need to start kettling - or do they only do that to students?

shuri

Banned
the police is afraid to strike because the world has become a sue-happy hellhole and nobody wants to lose their jobs over some punk with nothing to lose.

shuri said:
the police is afraid to strike because the world has become a sue-happy hellhole and nobody wants to lose their jobs over some punk with nothing to lose.

I'm pretty confident it is more the fear of things escalating if they unleash properly on the rioters.

marrec said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that not working out for them in the Boer Wars?

I haven't brushed up on that area of history in quite some time.

So this is more like the Boer Wars than India or America? The British strategy in the Boer Wars was scorched earth and concentration camps which I'm sure some people would like to see applied to Tottenham. But I guess the British are still not popular in parts of South Africa.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Funny, the police are baton happy at G20 protests.

Cyport

Friend on my facebook feed says it's happening in Peckham and he's gonna check it out.. I hope he means checking it out for safety

THE:MILKMAN said:
No. That's the welcome pack at the average youth offenders institute.............

Maybe the welcome pack needs to include stupid punks getting tasered in the face.

marrec said:
Also, Pittsburgh Police love any excuse to rough up Oaklanders.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

zomgbbqftw said:
Dude, wtf. Stay away.

Seriously, or at least keep your distance and run early. From watching the news stream even if the crowd dont turn on people, when the police do move up their lines they aren't paying much attention to whether people are intent on aggro or not. Saw at least one lad with a decent camera get bashed about a bit with a riot shield. Just don't get in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom