• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really don't believe that the leader of our Country shouldn't return from holiday to deal with a riot in the Capital, which maybe spreading across the Country (Birmingham and Leeds)? He should be there to lead, to at least show a presence and a bit of a connection with the people. Hell, even Nick Clegg has been seen walking the streets, though I suppose that's nothing new for him (BOOM BOOM!).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
marrec said:
I don't want to argue the merits of either system of gun control. (We did this earlier in the thread.) But I just want to point out that it's not super easy to get a hold of a gun in America either. They're available, but if you want to be legal about it then you are going to be forever associated with that gun.

If you want to be illegal about it, then you run the risk of having an illegal firearm.

Either way, guns are not useful in riot situations, but if the gun control laws were just as lax in London as they are in New York it wouldn't change the situation at all.

That I would agree with, but most of the Bangers wouldn't want to draw attention to themselves at this point. Why shoot some random innocent for no reason when you can already loot everything you'd want to? And again, why shoot a Cop when they are letting you have control of the neighborhood?
Depends on where you live.

daviyoung

Banned
Although Cameron can come back all he'll be doing is showing his face for the stupids to think he's doing something. He can't do anything, he can't lead any more than he was before this.

Our government isn't run with Charlton Heston fighting the monkeys like the States'

Furret

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
Why are the police just lining up? Girl on the livestream makes a good point, it's standard riot practice I'm sure, but it's just moving them along to create more damage in their wake, it's not actually doing anything

Because the police don't want to risk their lives just so they can get sued and then vilified by The Guardian. Can't say I blame them. Would you do it?

jamieson87 said:
Lead, that's his job.

This.

Part of the fucking capital of the country is out of control, and that twat is on holiday.

It's utterly disrespectful for the Police trying to deal with it and a sign, even if unintentional, that he does not give a shit.

Zomba13

Meus Renaissance said:
Oh man. One police officer just got hit by something. He hasn't moved at all, laying on the ground awkwardly
Fuck.
Hope whatever scumbag did that to him gets caught.

Pendulum

brucewaynegretzky said:
Make the call to up the police presence? Talk to the people? Outline to the rioters that he plans to prosecute vigorously?

You don't elect leaders to work in the streets. You elect them to fucking lead.

That should be Boris' job. However, I don't believe he's interested in a second term, and is just cruising.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Meus Renaissance said:
Oh man. One police officer just got hit by something. He hasn't moved at all, laying on the ground awkwardly

Goddammit. :(

Garjon

Enosh said:
the fuck is he suposed to do? put on riot gear and stand on the street?
How about taking a break from his taxpayer-funded indulgence to do his job at a time of severe crisis? As the leader of a country, he needs to be on call 24 hours a day for something like this, if only as a sign of respect for those who have been affected by these riots.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Red Ken's on the phone to the BBC now. Speaking a lot of sense for a change.

Murkas

Damn it's kicking off in Birmingham, shops getting smashed into and looted, unconfirmed reports of a Primark on fire as well.

I live about 2 miles from the town centre so I'd like to think I'm safe!

tumblr_lpmhu6g5Lf1r1p3wro1_400.jpg

Birmingham

BlazingDarkness said:
There are riots and lots of shops being trashed in birmingham
Fair point but I still don't see what forcing him back into the country will achieve except increase the feeling of fear and make this seem like a bigger deal than it really is.

You can say he must come back and 'lead' but there are people who are in charge of the various Police Services and members of the cabinet who deal with matters like this. Theresa May is already back in the country and Boris Johnson is coming back, I don't see the need for people to try to score political points here.

Furret

Banned
anonnumber6 said:
Fair point but I still don't see what forcing him back into the country will achieve except increase the feeling of fear and make this seem like a bigger deal than it really is.

You can say he must come back and 'lead' but there are people who are in charge of the various Police Services and members of the cabinet who deal with matters like this. Theresa May is already back in the country and Boris Johnson is coming back, I don't see the need for people to try to score political points here.

Exactly how big a deal is mass rioting, looting and arson in the UK's two largest cities would you say?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It is going to get really nasty if shitheads all over the country hear the call. Either they end this with the quickness or the situation will spin out of control.

Gav

Shitting hell. Chapeltown in Leeds - 5 minutes drive from me - a shooting with reports of about 100 hooded teenagers gathering.

Garjon

jamieson87 said:
Police mobilising in Hackney now. Moving well.
Good, they'll need to move quickly to catch up to the rioters. The police are being spread far too thin waiting for orders to move up.

EDIT: Oh no, not Diane Abbot. I'm so sick of her unique brand of opportunism.

It's kicked off in Leeds now. Reports of a man being shot in the face. Christ, we dont have enough police and army to cope with every major city being ransacked

Gregorn

I'm glad that guy on the BBC says the reason I don't have job is because of the government, I thought it was just because I'm being lazy.

City of London Police officer: "You're not a fucking journalist. Do you want some."

Paul Lewis (Guardian) tweets lol. In a way I'm glad the Police are pissed

Doc Evils

The English Conquistador said:
Why do people act more moronic when they know they're on camera?

BBC feed is incredibly frustrating. People in the background acting like they're MTV. -_-

Is anyone elses live feed having strange video stutter?

shuri

Banned
Its easier to sit down and refresh twitter to watch your own country burn. England is the laughing stock of the world right now.

Furret

Banned
anonnumber6 said:
It seems like a few hundred youths, I wouldn't call it a national crisis.

OK, well wake us up when it is, eh? Now that Leeds is at it does that count? Is there a minimum number of cities that needs to be involved?

Meus Renaissance said:
City of London Police officer: "You're not a fucking journalist. Do you want some."

About damn time. Unleash the beasts of war!

SmokyDave

Meus Renaissance said:

Yeah, I bet they wouldn't have said shit if he had a balaclava and a 2x4.

Still, I understand their frustrations, I just hope they don't take them out on the wrong people.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
shuri said:
Uts easier to sit down and refresh twitter to watch your own country burn. England is the laughing stock of the world right now.

No, they're not. We're all just concerned :(

The English Conquistador said:
Why do people act more moronic when they know they're on camera?

BBC feed is incredibly frustrating. People in the background acting like they're MTV. -_-

Yeah, its pretty strange, and saddening.

Are the 24 hour news Crew making this seem more 'glamorous' than it actual is?

Murkas

More rumours:

Kicking off in the Handsworth and Kings Heath area of Birmingham
Aston Villa shop being smashed and looted :(
Police guarding the childrens hospital as the rioters are closing in on that (fucking really?!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom