• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Sunflower said:
Most people in riots like this don't bring guns, that's all. They just want the easy free shit that comes with looting, not necessarily dead cops.

I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong and give me some shitty youtube video that's supposed to prove me wrong, but, hell, whatever.

What does throwing Molotov cocktails have to do with getting free shit?

In the UK it's legal to have a rifle if you're a member of a shooting club, right? So that American guy can just go through all the hoops and hurdles to do that...

Zomba13

Sunflower said:
Most people in riots like this don't bring guns, that's all. They just want the easy free shit that comes with looting, not necessarily dead cops.

I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong and give me some shitty youtube video that's supposed to prove me wrong, but, hell, whatever.
I don't doubt that but the ones throwing paving slabs and petrol bombs at the cops? Pretty sure they want to kill or at least badly wound the cops so yeah. I'm guessing if they had guns they'd be using them.

Chriswok said:
I like it.

Acting head of Police, asking parents (via Sky News) to contact their Children and call them home. Nothing strikes fear into the hearts of a chav, like the shouting of their Mother with a rolled up newspaper in hand.

lol, they're the fucking problem. i bet most of them sent their shitty off-spring out to see what they can bring home.

Cereal KiIIer said:
Is it true that apparently he didn't even shoot at the cops and that all bullets shots were from the police?
I don't think anyone cares at the moment how or why he was shot. It has nothing to do with the riots anymore. These people don't care that guy got shot, they just want free stuff and get away with their crimes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
sazabirules said:
What does throwing Molotov cocktails have to do with getting free shit?

Fires are part of the whole riot trifecta of "fun" - they want to see buildings burn, not necessarily the people within them die in a fire.

Do British police carry guns? I think it would make quite a difference if all police officers were allowed to carry a gun. It helps to instill some respect into the minds of these chavs.

Zomba13

Wax Free Vanilla said:
lol, they're the fucking problem. i bet most of them sent their shitty off-spring out to see what they can bring home.
Wasn't there that one picture or video of the mother looting with her kids? Wouldn't surprise me if most of the parents were like that.

Wax Free Vanilla said:

You're probably right.

PjotrStroganov said:
Do British police have guns? I think it would make quite a difference if all police officers were allowed to carry a gun. It helps to instill some respect into the minds of these chavs.

Only specially trained officers have guns, and those officers don't go out/use them unless called upon.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Zomba13 said:
I don't doubt that but the ones throwing paving slabs and petrol bombs at the cops? Pretty sure they want to kill or at least badly wound the cops so yeah. I'm guessing if they had guns they'd be using them.

Don't the people who live above the law still have guns anyway? Is it actually IMPOSSIBLE for someone to buy a gun under the table from anyone out there? I mean sure, I get that there's less in circulation, but a lot of gun control laws end up just keeping them from the general population and the criminal element will always find the guns and refuse to play by the rules. I'm legitimately curious how tough it is to buy a "shooter" as some of you say.

Chinner said:
can you guys stop responding to the fat americans? i mean this thread was informative and interesting, now they're ruining it with the usual "derppp gun controls", "derpp immigrants", "derpp look at us we're so great". please can we concentrate on whats happening now instead of ruining another thread with another predictable gun control debate bullshit?

Can't tell if you're being serious, but not all of the Americans in this thread are saying that.

That's quite a generalization.

Chinner

Banned
Your Excellency said:
In the UK it's legal to have a rifle if you're a member of a shooting club, right? So that American guy can just go through all the hoops and hurdles to do that...
you can get a license to own a firearm if you have somewhere to use it, such as a shooting club or land, and that you can prove you're a upstanding citizen and a reason to use it.

PjotrStroganov said:
Do British police have guns? I think it would make quite a difference if all police officers were allowed to carry a gun. It helps to instill some respect into the minds of these chavs.

lol, this whole thing is the result of a police officer killing one guy and maybe shooting a fellow police officer too.

marrec

Banned
Funky Papa said:
Do you think looters wouldn't be packing heat if they could? That they wouldn't shot at the police instead of throwing bricks and petrol bombs?

Yes, because shooting police has far more serious consequences than throwing rocks at them. Being as that I live in America, I can honestly speak for most people and say that with all the access to guns that living here gives us, it's not like I was packing heat when I went to check out the G20 protests. Nobody else was either. Plenty of people were throwing rocks though.

You really think these punks are stupid enough to give the cops and excuse to shut em down hard?

Chriswok said:
Only specially trained officers have guns, and those officers don't go out/use them unless called upon.

This is my point. As an apparently fake American who feels no need to own a gun, why does anyone other than the cops need a gun? Couldn't you guys just put some cops out on the street with guns and still have a death free riot without all this nonsense.

IdreamofHIME said:
lol, this whole thing is the result of a police officer killing one guy and maybe shooting a fellow police officer too.

It's the result of chavs having nothing better to do and grasping one incident to behave like dicks.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Sunflower said:
Don't the people who live above the law still have guns anyway? Is it actually IMPOSSIBLE for someone to buy a gun under the table from anyone out there? I mean sure, I get that there's less in circulation, but a lot of gun control laws end up just keeping them from the general population and the criminal element will always find the guns and refuse to play by the rules. I'm legitimately curious how tough it is to buy a "shooter" as some of you say.
Hint: the brosky go got done before the riots was carrying a replica converted to fire live rounds. Real guns are hard to purchase in the UK, that's why knife killings are the absolute norm.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Fuck, Lewisham is close to me

my friends facebook messages:

--- Wrote "All I can see and hear and see are sirens and helicopters. The noise is crazy. New Cross, Peckham, Lewisham are under attack! We are locked in the flat - this is frightening"

--- wrote "This is absolutely insane. I've never heard of anything like it in my life! Who the f*ck are all these people? I'm going to drive down Lewisham in a bit and start running over anyone I see causing trouble. Bromley is up next, I've just seen scores of police cars tearing down Bromley Road in that direction..."

PjotrStroganov said:
It's the result of chavs having nothing better to do and grasping one incident to behave like dicks.

It is now yeah, but it all started from a gang member shooting at cops, and then getting hit himself.

railway stations are closed for safety reasons, says National Rail. They include Barking, Harrow-on-the-Hill, Peckham Rye, West Croydon and South Bermondsey.

marrec

Banned
Funky Papa said:
Hint: the brosky go got done before the riots was carrying a replica converted to fire live rounds. Real guns are hard to purchase in the UK, that's why knife killings are the absolute norm.

I don't want to argue the merits of either system of gun control. (We did this earlier in the thread.) But I just want to point out that it's not super easy to get a hold of a gun in America either. They're available, but if you want to be legal about it then you are going to be forever associated with that gun.

If you want to be illegal about it, then you run the risk of having an illegal firearm.

Either way, guns are not useful in riot situations, but if the gun control laws were just as lax in London as they are in New York it wouldn't change the situation at all.

Funky Papa said:
Not all, but the gangbanger types would. These rioters are not politically motivated in the slightest, they are out to rob, arson and maim.

I'm sure they'd be really skitish about it.

That I would agree with, but most of the Bangers wouldn't want to draw attention to themselves at this point. Why shoot some random innocent for no reason when you can already loot everything you'd want to? And again, why shoot a Cop when they are letting you have control of the neighborhood?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
marrec said:
You really think these punks are stupid enough to give the cops and excuse to shut em down hard?
Not all, but the gangbanger types would. These rioters are not politically motivated in the slightest, they are out to rob, arson and maim.

If you want to be illegal about it, then you run the risk of having an illegal firearm.
I'm sure they'd be really skittish about it.

So Downing Street have confirmed David Cameron will NOT be returning from holiday to deal with this or the financial crisis. Classy bloke.

What a joke.

Chriswok said:
So Downing Street have confirmed David Cameron will NOT be returning from holiday to deal with this or the financial crisis. Classy bloke.

What a joke.

What can he do from here that he can't do from there?

SmokyDave

Chriswok said:

What a joke.
What on earth would that airbrushed arsehole do anyway?

Edit: my phone corrected 'Arsehole' to 'Starlike'. Poetic.

Enosh

Chriswok said:

What a joke.
the fuck is he suposed to do? put on riot gear and stand on the street?

Cyport

BlazingDarkness said:
railway stations are closed for safety reasons, says National Rail. They include Barking, Harrow-on-the-Hill, Peckham Rye, West Croydon and South Bermondsey.

huh? What's happening here.. the riots are gradually getting closer to me

Enosh said:
the fuck is he suposed to do? put on riot gear and stand on the street?

Make the call to up the police presence? Talk to the people? Outline to the rioters that he plans to prosecute vigorously?

You don't elect leaders to work in the streets. You elect them to fucking lead.

Why are the police just lining up? Girl on the livestream makes a good point, it's standard riot practice I'm sure, but it's just moving them along to create more damage in their wake, it's not actually doing anything

Walshicus

MarkMclovin said:
It is now yeah, but it all started from a gang member shooting at cops, and then getting hit himself.
Well, apparently that might not be true - The Guardian is reporting that the gang member's gun was hidden at the time and that the bullet lodged in the police radio was from a police gun...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom