• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garjon said:
My word, it just keeps getting worse. The police have been truly overwhelmed. About time Cameron got back, I thought at one point he was going to try to sit this one out like he did the hacking scandal.

I'm late here, but I really hope you were being sarcastic

No, that was rioting for a cause. This is looting without a cause. It's different. Everything we have seen is people going out to steal and cause mayhem for no reason other than they have a massive sense of self-entitlement.

Maggie wouldn't stand for people's homes being burned down (with them possibly inside). I am a naturally right leaning person, but if there were an election tomorrow, I couldn't vote for the Cons lead by David Cameron in good conscience if he doesn't fix this over night with zero tolerance, tough, measures.

Walshicus

Casp0r said:
A petrol bomb is an insanely viscous weapon.

They are throwing these at our police forces. They are trying to murder our police. The Police have every right to shoot these fuckers on sight.

I want to see people pay for these crimes. I and a lot of other people.
You can be a reactionary prick sometimes you know? This issue needs a calm, measured and gradual solution. People need to be identified, arrested and charged. This needs to be done without escalating the tension.

The moron in you might want to see blood, but fuck that.

Furret

Banned
ChenK said:
Calling for people to be attacked/shot by the police/army would never work. Take a look at the footage of the riots. As well as the rioters there are a lot a bystanders - but they do not look different from each other. Start shooting people and you will end up with a lot of dead innocents.

There won't be a single bystander the second the first shot is fired.

Casp0r

Banned
Mecha_Infantry said:
Jesus, listen...this shit is going to always happen when we have the current economically/socially situation. If anyone watched the 6pm BBC news then you would have heard about the group of middle aged, middle class white people who got de-masked and arrested. Secondly this is, I'm almost sure, a chance for a lot of people on this thread and all over the media to openly lambast not only the youth, but a large amount of black youth- without looking like it's an ignorant rant.

BullShit.

Stop trying to equate this to current economical and political atmosphere. This is about scum doing what they can get away with. Police are doing nothing to make these kids think twice about their actions.

Mecha_Infantry said:
The situation is that no one knows really who is to blame, who is the nucleus to the situation, why it's going on. But it's 1) wrong that they are doing this 2) that people are super tough internet guys asking for them to be shot and killed

I'm waiting for my fucking government and police force to do their fucking job.

Mecha_Infantry said:
And post like these are typical BS. Go internet warrior, GO!
What did I say that was bullshit? Why would you stand in the middle of a riot, standing by, watching? There is no reason for it. Get out and let the police handle it. You are only getting in the way.

I am not calling for people to get shot, I am not calling for neighbourhoods to be nuked. I do want the police to act faster and show this scum that they can't get away with this. I won't complain if some bones are broken.

Sir Fragula said:
You can be a reactionary prick sometimes you know? This issue needs a calm, measured and gradual solution. People need to be identified, arrested and charged. This needs to be done without escalating the tension.

Yeah, let's just stand by while these people burn down buildings and steal everything in sight. Let's identify them and pick them up a few week later and let them go again because the prisons are full.

There is absolutely no reason to go soft on the rioters. They are putting people in danger. They are burning down buildings where people live and work. They are destroying peoples businesses and lives.

dc89

A shop owner is going to pull a shotgun out on someone. I can see it happening.

Sky news now showing mobile footage of Clapham Junction. I think he's a Sky Journo.

Ladbrookes destroyed, ripping the monitors off the wall.

He just confronted a load of girls and got there faces on camera asking is it fun. They ran like the scum they are.

This country has been a fucking powder keg for a while now, this isn't just over the police shooting someone. It's a much needed explosion of tension. Personally I'm surprised it's taken this long.

Sir Fragula said:

Sniping requires one to be calm and measured. It can also be applied gradually.

Alucrid

Banned
dc89 said:
400 young Asian males have took matters in to their own hands and chased away rioters from the Greem Street area.

Reports now that banks are being smashed in Manchester.

Not my city. :(

Yo man, why you gotta say they asian?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Sir Fragula said:

right. and what does that do to prevent the group of hoods massing around the barricaded curry's opposite my girlfriend's place from burning her house down?

avaya

Pendulum said:
Do you know what part/store?

Lavendar hill is smashed all the way up to Falcon road junction at Clapham Junction station. St.John's road flash mob, Curry's broken into. Likely Vodafone and other shops also smashed.

Xavien

Captain_Spanky said:
This country has been a fucking powder keg for a while now, this isn't just over the police shooting someone. It's a much needed explosion of tension. Personally I'm surprised it's taken this long.

Indeed.

MLH

I guess most on here have never heard of the riot act. Back in the day Police could read out a part of it and they would just open fire on the rioters. I'm surprised the police are just standing by and watching. They really need to get tear gas/ water cannons/ proper crowd dispersion methods. The cost of the damages is getting too high.

Are people seeing the Sky footage? Is it the same as the BBC?

The reporter with the video phone footage has got some balls man. He was right in the middle of it all, no police, and just asked a few people "is this fun"?

Wow.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Captain_Spanky said:

Burning homes down and acting like animals is much needed? Get out of here.

dc89

I said Asiann because that's what the news said.

I forgot to add that its a honourable thing to do, defending their community. Not advisable but very brave.

Pendulum

Bungieware said:
Clapham Junction is a station

"Clapham Junction" generally refers to the area around the station. There's a High Street right there, which sometimes fall under the banner. I used to live literally around the corner.

That being said, are you saying the station itself is on fire?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
DSN2K said:
Croydon burning now
I'm in bromley I hope it doesn't get hit as well :(

fuck man I am just down the road from you mottingham, went out to eltham to check on my boy (he lives above a shop) off the high road...nothing is happening so far, Bromley has a massive police station so should be ok I hope... hope the public have enough of these twats and fight back...peacefully of course.

Bluth

LOL @ Chinner's breakdown a couple of pages ago at Americans. Someone must be a little embarrassed that London is looking like a fucking war zone. Almost as good as his little breakdown at the World Cup. What a shit poster.

Alucrid

Banned
dc89 said:
I said Asiann because that's what the news said.

I forgot to add that its a honourable thing to do, defending their community. Not advisable but very brave.

I was joking. I realize it's just a descriptor.

dc89 said:
400 young Asian males have took matters in to their own hands and chased away rioters from the Greem Street area.

So common people now have to do the job of the police?

Also, rioters are scared by people willing to hurt them? Surprise, surprise. Rubber bullets etc. needed to be there since the first night...

Stet

Banned
Captain_Spanky said:
What, exactly, did the private business owners and homeowners do to deserve being the target of the tension?

Wes said:
Why do these silly people continue to post picture evidence of their looting.

I couldn't help myself...

woaho7wh.jpg

Tzeentch

Mr_Brit said:
Lol. Keep defending these idle, sub human scum all you like.
Absolutely LOL. I'm not "defending" them, fool. But I do laugh and laugh at internet tough guys like you who hide behind your locked doors and propose shooting people in the steets. Talk about a disproportionate response that will solve absolutely nothing.

smarties00 said:
Is that Forbidden Planet? I hope to God not.
Think he means a place in space in Church Street.

This whole situation is fucked up, cant believe between watching True Blood Croydon has gone to hell. God i walk right next to that shop every morning to work :(

Casp0r said:
BullShit.

Stop trying to equate this to current economical and political atmosphere. This is about scum doing what they can get away with. Police are doing nothing to make these kids think twice about their actions.

I'm waiting for my fucking government and police force to do their fucking job.

I thnk you are being naive, it's a mentality which make people do crime. Yes most probably won't have a job, take a guess why, most people probably aren't doing any form of further education, take a guess why. I'm not totally blaming it on the climate, but I personally don't think this is just criminals

And what job do you think government and police will do here? Fly in Superman and Batman?! lol

Bumhead

Banned
Wax Free Vanilla said:
just a matter of time before it kicks off here with all the scum that hang around the town centre.

Whats there to burn down though? Without Greggs and Argos, they've got nothing.

Very counter intuitive for them to burn anything down here.

Doc Evils

dc89 said:

Reports now that banks are being smashed in Manchester.

Not my city. :(

More vigilantes will pop as this goes on. It wont end well.

Garjon

zomgbbqftw said:
No, that was rioting for a cause. This is looting without a cause. It's different. Everything we have seen is people going out to steal and cause mayhem for no reason other than they have a massive sense of self-entitlement.

Maggie wouldn't stand for people's homes being burned down (with them possibly inside). I am a naturally right leaning person, but if there were an election tomorrow, I couldn't vote for the Cons lead by David Cameron in good conscience if he doesn't fix this over night with zero tolerance, tough, measures.
Except houses were burned down; though the brunt of the damage was sustained by police officers and vehicles, extensive amounts of looting and arson did occur. Hell, some of the partially burned houses were only demolished around 10 years or so ago. I agree with the rest of your post though, the Tories are very quickly becoming toxic again and these rioters really do not have anywhere near as justifiable a cause.

Walshicus

ghst said:
right. and what does that do to prevent the group of hoods massing around the barricaded curry's opposite my girlfriend's place from burning her house down?
Gross mismanagement; there just hasn't been a police presence where there needs to be. That the police have been absent does not mean that the remedy is to go in guns blazing.

Xavien

Bluth said:
LOL @ Chinner's breakdown a couple of pages ago at Americans. Someone must be a little embarrassed that London is looking like a fucking war zone. Almost as good as his little breakdown at the World Cup. What a shit poster.

what, i don't think Ad hominem attacks are really needed here.

Chinner

Banned
Bluth said:
oh my god im so angry right i cant even typo sraighy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom