• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in the US, but watching this shit unfold is absolutely infuriating. I don't want to insult the probably hardworking police officers in London, and the UK as a whole, but why the hell aren't they doing anything? Do they just have too few numbers? Are they not being given the okay to crack down on these thugs?

I just can't believe such widespread looting at the hands of punk-ass little kids is being allowed in one of the biggest cities in the world. These fuckers need to beaten hard into submission. I wish these Turks and other vigilante groups the best of luck if the police aren't doing anything.

Makes you wonder about the Olympics next year.

besiktas1

I was sating this earlier. Not a peep in Newington green. Its be silly to try it there. Its Ramadan everyones nicotine deprived looking for an excuse to beat some dickheads up ^_^

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Zefah said:
I'm in the US, but watching this shit unfold is absolutely infuriating. I don't want to insult the probably hardworking police officers in London, and the UK as a whole, but why the hell aren't they doing anything? Do they just have too few numbers? Are they not being given the okay to crack down on these thugs?

I just can't believe such widespread looting at the hands of punk-ass little kids is being allowed in one of the biggest cities in the world. These fuckers need to beaten hard into submission. I wish these Turks and other vigilante groups the best of luck if the police aren't doing anything.

There's only 1400 police on the streets tonight.

The last 2 nights it was a third of that :/

Prine

Banned
Jal said:
Sounds like the Turks have had enough.

muskhalili mustafa khalili
100's of turkish men chasing a group of young black men down kingsland rd #hackney incredible scene

PaulLewis Paul Lewis
Kingsland Road chaotic as Turkish men attack other, predominantly black, youths with sticks, metal barricades and bricks. #hackney

PaulLewis Paul Lewis
Violent clashes now on Kingsland Road, Hackney, as hundreds of Turkish men attack others youths #hackney

Fuck yeh!! Hope now one is seriously hurt.

Feorax

Zefah said:

Police cant do a damn thing. They're either condemned as being violent and aggressive if they take the fight to the rioters, or they're pussys who don't do anything.

No win situation.

Clegg said:
If this is true than it's just going to make the violence 10 times worse, regardless of who did the shooting.

I don't think the police would risk another shooting incident. Most likely gang violence.

Yeah, seriously need to know if this is true. Will be a big game changer.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DECK'ARD said:
There's only 1400 police on the streets tonight.

The last 2 nights it was a third of that :/

How many police does London employ?

If it's a numbers problem, can't they call in police from other cities and counties?

I just can't believe this has been allowed to become so widespread and go on for multiple days.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Zefah said:

They're not given the okay to crack down. Police could handle it in a heartbeat, but their hands are tied. Hopefully this inaction will be cause for change, because this same inaction is ruining a lot of things for a lot of innocent people.

CozMick

Banned
dc89 said:
1400 policing a city of 13,000,000 (ish?)

B...b...but David Cameron is on his way back to sort it all out :\

Zefah said:

If it's a numbers problem, can't they call in police from other cities and counties?

I just can't believe this has been allowed to become so widespread and go on for multiple days.

There are 30,000+ in the Met, but only a handful "trained for rioting"

Rocked

Looks like a wizard has been rolled out:

london36.jpg

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Police can't so anything because:

1 - there aren't enough of them, there's so many kids all over the place that police have to be shifted around rapidly.
2 - there's too many young kids and bystanders watching and filming.
3 - they dont have certain things like water cannons

Manager

Scythian Empire said:
Yeah, seriously need to know if this is true. Will be a big game changer.

Just now on ITV:
Reports of man shot dead in Croydon unconfirmed, Met Police Press Office haven't heard anything about it. #croydon #londonriots

Zefah said:

They have brought in more officers, but they have to be prioritised. They are getting spread thin.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Zefah said:

The 1400 number is after bringing in officers from other forces.

The police seem to be stretched incredibly thin, fire services as well.

dc89

Manchester Evening News and Greater Manchester Police say there are no credible reports of violence in Manchester.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sunflower said:
They're not given the okay to crack down. Police could handle it in a heartbeat, but their hands are tied. Hopefully this inaction will be cause for change, because this same inaction is ruining a lot of things for a lot of innocent people.

Any idea why the government won't "untie" their hands?

It seems insane that they are letting so many businesses and personal property get looted by thugs simply because they don't want to use violence. Surely the outrage from decent folk will drown out these wannabe-gangster punks.

dc89 said:
Manchester Evening News and Greater Manchester Police say there are no credible reports of violence in Manchester.

Same for Merseyside Police and Liverpool Echo/Daily Post. No credible reports here either. Twitter rumours of small incidents in Toxteth and on London Road, but no pictures.

dc89

Eye witnesses on Sky now said it took police 90 minutes to get to Clapham.

90 minutes of looting. They said you could speak to them whilst they smashes stuff they were not interested in hurting anyone, just wanted to smash stuff.

Sad.

Zefah said:

London is huge and very densely populated.

MAPfrappe+Google+Maps+Mashup+-+London+compared+to+New+York.png

It's incredibly hard to deploy police in the right areas in a city this big. There's no pattern to these riots.

KingDizzi

Banned
I've never been so angry watching something on TV, seeing those shops in flames. Peoples livelihoods which they worked so hard for, seriously this country is pretty shit now. Shoot first, ask questions later please police. There's a stupid number of the UK army in Germany for no fucking reason, why not bring them back?

WJD

Bungieware said:
London is huge and very densely populated.

MAPfrappe+Google+Maps+Mashup+-+London+compared+to+New+York.png

It's incredibly hard to deploy police in the right areas in a city this big. There's no pattern to these riots.
Lol, boobs

Clegg

Manager said:
Just now on ITV:
Reports of man shot dead in Croydon unconfirmed, Met Police Press Office haven't heard anything about it. #croydon #londonriots
I'm hoping it's bullshit, but I'm afraid of what these rioters will do if they even hear rumours of another shooting.

Mr. Sam

A Facebook status:

"People making jokes about the riots are nearly as low as those involved in them."

Two likes and someone saying it was well said. My faith in humanity continues to plummet.

Nuborn

dc89 said:

Glad its not kicking off here, afraid it might happen soon though. Luckily I live a decent while away from the city centre and nowhere near any scum.

Darren870

Took the tube from Oxford Street to Angel and didn't see much going on.

Got off at Angel and everything was closed. All the off licences were closed and all I hear is sirens.

Stopped by the 24 hr place and they were boarding up, asked them if they was because of the riots and they said yep and if I wanted anything to get it now.

Said nah and started walking home...and 3 kids with masks were on the same side of the street as me. Crossed to the other side since I had my laptop bag and looked like an easy target in a suit. One crossed the road and asked if the 24 hr shop was still open. Told him they were just closing so they better run.

As soon as I turned the corner I bolted and didn't look back.

Fuck this. Just saw a kid get a beat down in the same exact spot by 20-30 kids a few weeks ago. No way am I taking a risk.

Oh and the Rice picture is so hilarious it will be my avatar :)

Wes

venison crêpe
@BBCNewsnight: No one from the government was available to appear on #newsnight tonight to talk about London riots

ATF487

I can see how the Police are in a tough situation, but who could really fault them for using force on those who are destroying shops and burning cars?

Suppersalmon

Neo Member
the nearest town to me is safe apparently, however i can hear some sirens in the distance, probably some police reserves coming up front kent to London, However the town were a few of my friends live in Bromley has been rioting or loads of police in that area, although all my friends are safe.

kottila

kaizoku said:

1 - there aren't enough of them, there's so many kids all over the place that police have to be shifted around rapidly.
Every time there's a hippie/left wing anarchist riot, the police seem more than happy to go in and kick ass, why not now?

kaizoku said:

This part sounds like it could be solved by massive information on the tv and radio to stay of the streets if you don't want to be caught up in the violence or arrested by the police.

I find it weird that the police can't act because "there might be some guys just filming the rioting in there". That's basically always the case with riots. Not to mention, the police tactics of riot control are pretty sophisticated in order to focus on the actual douchebags doing the rioting and looting.

My guess would be that it's indeed a matter of numbers (too little policemen), or a reasoned guess that letting the riots fizzle out+contained will be less damaging overall than going in and making it a war zone.

But I really haven't followed any of the news about this, and have actually been informed about the scale of it an hour or so ago. So all of what I said above might be wrong in this particular case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom