• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Lkr said:
i've seen people on twitter saying they should bring in the army. as an American I am opposed to martial law, but I wonder how Britons feel about it at this point

If we dont do something, and I hate to panic monger these cunts will become emboldend and start shit in the day time, riots muggings murders...just spiralling out of control, the army would scare the shit out of people but send the wrong message, jsut give the police more "leniency" tear gas, water cannons, bring some of the NI police over...

the more they are allowed to get away with it without consequence the chavs will just think they are untouchable.. look at how they tried to break into peoples houses

the public are scared and how long before an innocent victim (a child) gets hurt, this happens the match will be lit and the public wont stand for it the back lash would be imense, people will fight to defend what is theirs, loved ones, houses etc maybe repeating myself but had hardly anysleep last night.....

ohh sport has been cancelled. oh the millionaire footballers can't earn money (atm this doesn't concern me) the fact that some twat may target my area or one near my sons, is what is upsetting me...

It's crazy to me that this shit is still going on. I've been kind of casually watching it, but it keeps popping up. It didn't seem like it was going to be this serious at the beginning.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
evil solrac v3.0 said:
it's human nature, some humans are just shitty. not everyone deserves compassion.
This type of reflection isn't necessarily about compassion. People are a complex and inconstant product of their genetics, their environment, their opportunities and their decisions. A toxic environment can create toxic people. We've seen proof of that in the Stanford Prison Experiment. So it might be beneficial to ask why that environment is so toxic.

Lkr

jufonuk said:
If we dont do something, and I hate to panic monger these cunts will become emboldend and start shit in the day time, riots muggings murders...just spiralling out of control, the army would scare the shit out of people but send the wrong message, jsut give the police more "leniency" tear gas, water cannons, bring some of the NI police over...

the more they are allowed to get away with it without consequence the chavs will just think they are untouchable.. look at how they tried to break into peoples houses

the public are scared and how long before an innocent victim (a child) gets hurt, this happens the match will be lit and the public wont stand for it the back lash would be imense, people will fight to defend what is theirs, loved ones, houses etc maybe repeating myself but had hardly anysleep last night.....

ohh sport has been cancelled. oh the millionaire footballers can't earn money (atm this doesn't concern me) the fact that some twat may target my area or one near my sons, is what is upsetting me...
are the police allowed to carry guns or not?

btw, is there a webstream of news coverage for this?

jufonuk said:

I've been wondering if at any point Private Miltary Contractors will be hired on to handle situations like this.

Technically not your national army, but just as capable of imposing martial law.

dc89

A Tesco had it's metal shutters opened with a steel saw in Liverpool.

Only in Liverpool.

Oh yeah. Teresa May. What a cock head:

"we can cut the police budgets without risking violence and unrest".

jufonuk

not tag worthy
BBC interviewing deputy assistant commissioner stephen kavanagh, these cunts deliberatly trying to hurt, injure ambulance staff fucking cunts

also reports of people trying to defend houses using pots and pans

also the police has discussed all possible solutions (not exact wording) RE the army...when it was brought up..

dc89

Teresa May is such a one trick pony. Sky are slaughtering her now.

'where are the water cannons?'

'we police by consent'

Nix

Banned
El'Kharn said:
Thats an understatement...wtf i'm stunned. I thought that guy was going to help him but they robbed him instead. what a cunt act.

To be honest, I'm not sure anyone was really high on morals then. I mean, they're fucking burning and looting their own city, kind of too late to start feeling sympathy.

That was a dick move though.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
twitter users using #cleanup to organise clean-ups..

tired so don't roast me gaf, brain not working (more less than usual)

dc89

She's basicalling in charge of the Home Office. She is responsible for the police, national security and immigration and a fee other bits.

xbhaskarx

I didn't even think about this until now, but I have an aunt in the Fulham/Hammersmith area, and a cousin at University College London (not sure where that is located), are either of those places near the looting?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I hope the politicians have been watching BSG before they send in the army :p

It was interesting to see Theresa May trying to distance cities like London and Liverpool from, say, Belfast (wrt the use of water cannon etc.). But really, if the same issues persist in London et al, the approach will probably have to change.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
duk said:
wth? a gang member shot and there are riots? how would these ppl survive in compton?

Chavs/english eminems would be extinct if they came to my area and caused a riot.

Gaborn

So what kind of criminal penalties is the UK likely to bring against these thugs causing all the chaos and destruction?

Sblargh

Banned
Marv_79 said:
The Kaiser Chiefs predicted this some time ago.

I like you.

Also, too bad I'm not on communist boards anymore, people see these kinds of things as "the revolution! Finally!" and get all happy and stuff.

The Take Out Bandit said:
I've been wondering if at any point Private Miltary Contractors will be hired on to handle situations like this.

Technically not your national army, but just as capable of imposing martial law.

Bugger that...thats a ridiculous idea.

None of the rioters so far have been armed with guns...i am baffled why the police arent able to handle this

There are certainly some valid frustrations underneath all this chaos...but it has bubbled over into thuggery and criminality

Cj70

Gaborn said:
So what kind of criminal penalties is the UK likely to bring against these thugs causing all the chaos and destruction?
Get arrested, get bailed to return and riot then get a slap on the wrist due to no prison space left.

acting police commissioner looked so out of touch last night saying they would protect property and were gathering evidence. They're all wearing masks!

Has anyone actually answered why water cannons and tear gas haven't been used?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Gaborn said:

the middle classes going on about how under priveledged, ASBO community service, a free trip somewhere and that's about it.
the laww needs to change

Marv_79

Neo Member
Karma Kramer said:
seriously?

Well maybe that was a bit strong, I'm just a bit pissed off at the moment, I live in south east London and it ain't no fun worrying about if your car is going to get burnt out or even worse your house just because of some greedy looting thugs.

Gowans

I'd honestly be up for doing a community organised patrol of my neighbourhood tonight.

People need to come together & do something about this.

lifa-cobex

Didn't think i would wake up to this. I thought it would have died down a bit.
Just seems to be spreading more around the country.

Wtf is going on!!!

antonz

Martial law and curfews are what it looks like is needed.

Getting way out of hand and if it has to come to it a Military response is appropriate

madmackem

Gowans007 said:
I'd honestly be up for doing a community organised patrol of my neighbourhood tonight.

People need to come together & do something about this.

Gowans you live in an area this shit wouldnt go down in, i cant see sunderland or most of the north east even being arsed to do something like this. Get the fucking army in, this country is too soft thats why its over run with thugs and wankers and immigrants looking for an easy ride.

madmackem

lifa-cobex said:
Didn't think i would wake up to this. I thought it would have died down a bit.
Just seems to be spreading more around the country.

Wtf is going on!!!

School holidays, get the little shits back to school cut the 7 week holiday down to 1.

lifa-cobex

antonz said:
Martial law and curfews are what it looks like is needed.

Getting way out of hand and if it has to come to it a Military response is appropriate

Never thought we would get to this but i think i agree.

unfortunately

Marv_79 said:
Well maybe that was a bit strong, I'm just a bit pissed off at the moment, I live in south east London and it ain't no fun worrying about if your car is going to get burnt out or even worse your house just because of some greedy looting thugs.

Are there any riots in your area....? No? Then what are the chances mate...? This situation is pretty small scale compared to the types of riots that go on in many other countries...it is just surprising that it has bubbled over in the UK at this time

Martial law to handle youth thuggery? What are the police good for exactly? This comes under their domain, they need to step up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom