• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

radioheadrule83 said:
Those two and the girl who was like "I is gettin our taxes back innit" need euthanizing on the spot to save themselves from their own stupidity. The reporters should be immediately responding "are you really that thick?"

The sad thing is, they're not thick. They know that kind of talk will play into the pathetic displays of empathy and understanding from our nations heart bleeders and academics.

Every single one of them should have a truncheon thrust into their throat so hard it busts out the back of their neck, they should have their blackberries shoved up their arse... self entitled, horrible, twatty, cuntish little brats. The parents should be punished too for failing to get a grip of their fuckin' demon spawn.

Sterilization would help too, although knowing that type, if they're over 14 they probably have two demon spawn already.

Pathetic. If all he he actually managed to do is get more police on the streets, he is a waste of space. The acting commissioner could have done that himself, and holding a debate in the commons wont solve anything.

verbum

With all that has happened in the past few weeks, will Cameron face any kind of no-confidence vote in Parliament?
It seems some people are blaming the budget cuts for the cause of the riots and for the poor performance of the police.

For Mr. Cameron’s government — indeed for Britain — the rapidly worsening situation presented a profound challenge on several fronts.

For a society already under severe economic strain, the rioting raised new questions about the political sustainability of the Cameron government’s spending cuts, particularly the deep cutbacks in social programs. These have hit the country’s poor especially hard, including large numbers of the minority youths who have been at the forefront of the unrest.

Even before the outbreak of violence, the police have been deeply demoralized by the government’s plan to cut about 9,000 of about 35,000 officers and by allegations that it badly mishandled protests against the government’s austerity program last winter and failed to properly investigate the phone-hacking scandal that has dominated the headlines here for much of the summer. The force now faces widespread allegations that it failed to act quickly and forcefully enough to quell the rioting at its outset over the weekend.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/09/world/europe/09britain.html?_r=1&ref=world

david-cameron-joke.jpg

Xavien

Thing is, if this spreads to other areas, all those police being funneled from other Police Forces are gonna leave local forces awfully light, that means if it kicks off in other major cities we're gonna see the same as last night in those cities.

Jezbollah

My interpretation of Cameron's speech:

Hans Blix: I'm sorry, but the UN must be firm with you. Let me see your whole palace, or else...

Kim Jong-il: Or erse what?

Hans Blix: Or else we will be very, very angry with you... And we will write you a letter, telling you how angry we are.

SmokyDave said:
If you're going to do it, do it properly!

"The time for talking is over. Now call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and we hit it fast, with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign." - Arnold J Rimmer Esq.
The bigger question is what are you going to call yourselves? So long as the anagram somehow spells clitoris, I'm good.

panda21

i wonder if the extra police will be just enough to push them out of shitty areas like Hackney and Brixton and into places like oxford circus where the real good loot is.

Number45

Murkas said:
Will the extra 10000 police calmly watch the looters?
This. At the very least he should have detailed the "robust" measures that they're allowed to take... assuming there are any changes to the existing stance.

I wonder what the police themselves think of this, whether they'd like to get in there and do something to deter these fuckwits?

PJV3

All we need now is Boris Johnson and his tired bumbling fool routine that only belongs in an Ealing comedy.

syoaran

Xavien said:
Thing is, if this spreads to other areas, all those police being funneled from other Police Forces are gonna leave local forces awfully light, that means if it kicks off in other major cities we're gonna see the same as last night in those cities.

The bet is that if rioters kick off tonight and the police quell it, they hope footage of that will put off riot's in other cities. The only reason its spread is that people see on Sky and BBC that the rioters were successfully able to loot places

besiktas1

So... My speech would have ended with.

"I have authorized by decree of the queen that batons and gas will be deployed on all. 100 water cannons will be mobile.... I hope you took some swimming shorts, because you're going to get wet.... Now if you excuse east enders is on."

Xavien

syoaran said:
The bet is that if rioters kick off tonight and the police quell it, they hope footage of that will put off riot's in other cities. The only reason its spread is that people see on Sky and BBC that the rioters were successfully able to loot places

A bet that will probably fail, even 16,000 police officers cant stop the sheer randomness of the riots, by the time they get to the riot location it'll already have shifted.

Polari said:
Turns out creating a CCTV police state doesn't work if you don't have the police out there to enforce the surveillance.
They'll just put the fear of God on ppl by suggesting they'll review cctv footage and ask the community to help with enquiries (be a grass).

syoaran

Xavien said:
A bet that will probably fail, even 16,000 police officers cant stop the sheer randomness of the riots, by the time they get to the riot location it'll already have shifted.

I presume the police will station themselves by rush hour this evening in force, hoping to scare off people by numbers

Reuters have created a live feed again. They were probably the best form of accurate information in the Egypt / Libya / Japan events earlier this year so its worth checking them out

http://live.reuters.com/uk/Event/London_riots3

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
speech should have been: "Hug a hoodie, then crush it's spine. Today I announce a war on scum. To arms!"

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
PJV3 said:
All we need now is Boris Johnson and his tired bumbling fool routine that only belongs in an Ealing comedy.

Just had a mental image of Boris riding around on his bike, skewering chavs with a jousting lance. Huzzah!

Number45

besiktas1 said:
So... My speech would have ended with.

"I have authorized by decree of the queen that batons and gas will be deployed on all. 100 water cannons will be mobile.... I hope you took some swimming shorts, because you're going to get wet.... Now if you excuse east enders is on."
We should definitely have the Queen calling the shots.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
while everyone is out looting, we should go loot their homes, they'll be relatively unguarded and they'll have loads of new stuff!

Jezbollah

From the Guardian:

"11.10am: The prime minister was speaking directly after a Cobra meeting..."

He's meeting the wrong Cobra :(

*inserts Stallone gif*...

Knight77

By my point of view the police (or someone else) has to hit hard on this otherwise no one will learn the lesson but I'm also quite sure that nothing will happend to most of the stupid people involved :-( by the way I'm sure about something: the world doesn't need this people.

Polari

CadetMahoney said:
They'll just put the fear of God on ppl by suggesting they'll review cctv footage and ask the community to help with enquiries (be a grass).

Problem is most of them are covering their faces and most of the people that know them won't grass.

Curious as to where the extra 10,000 police are coming from.

SteveWD40

What were people expecting Cameron to say? this isn't WW3, the media have blown if out of proportion.

He isn't going to go up and give some Executive Orders style wrath of god speech...

ruttyboy

Knight77 said:
By my point of view the police (or someone else) has to hit hard on this otherwise no one will learn the lesson but I'm also quite sure that nothing will happend to most of the stupid people involved :-( by the way I'm sure about something: the world doesn't need this people.

Yeah, it was quite infuriating last night listening to the media prattle on about how some of the protesters weren't wearing gloves so the police will be able to gather fingerprint evidence, are they joking?! 0_o

There's no way the resources are available to go around fingerprinting riot scenes, we'll be lucky if there's enough people to even look at the CCTV. The vast majority of these people will have nothing to worry about.

Number45

SteveWD40 said:
What were people expecting Cameron to say? this isn't WW3, the media have blown if out of proportion.

He isn't going to go up and give some Executive Orders style wrath of god speech...
It would have been nice if he'd have outlined some of the measures the police have available to them to be honest. I suspect the police are getting a fair amount of stick in the communities that are affected, but I imagine their hands are tied.

Raydeen

PJV3 said:

Cometh the hour cometh the man? He could certainly improve his PM credentials with a passionate dynamite speech...especially after the void that was Cameron a few mins ago.

SteveWD40

Number45 said:
It would have been nice if he'd have outlined some of the measures the police have available to them to be honest. I suspect the police are getting a fair amount of stick in the communities that are affected, but I imagine their hands are tied.

The Met should be doing that, they should call a Press Conference with an outline of what they will do. Far as I know they have Batons, Gas and a shit load of men, use them all tonight and tell people you will.

Shame they will be done for Murder when some "poor little kid" dies though.

daviyoung

Banned
dc89 said:
Please don't tell me you don't think questions will be asked? Maybe you've not seen what's happened. Please tell me you've not seen what's happened.

Don't over-react, oh please don't over-react.

Ponti

Number45 said:
Yep I don't see much point in throwing an extra 10000 police into London when all they can do is just stand there, unless they have given them the go ahead to actually do something.

What the fuck kind of statement was that. We needed him to sanction police brutality, he gave us nothing. If the violence continues tonight unhindered he has failed as PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom