• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Louie Season 4 |OT| He's finally back, Mondays on FX [S5 premieres Apr 9]

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

Season 2's Duckling is a film, straight up.

Oh yeah I'd agree. I try to temper film comparisons, because often people use terms like "cinematic" when they mean "good" (just as people describe a movie as "novelistic" as a compliment), but with Louie it's unavoidable because the narrative structure of episodes like Duckling or multi-parters like Late Show or even one-offs like Model is more reminiscent of film's self-containment and pacing.

People don't remember Pamela?? For shame! I hope she shows up more during the rest of the season. I love her character.

Funniest part of the two episodes for me was Doc's stupid 4-legged-dog joke. I don't know why, maybe Grodin's delivery, but I had to pause for a few seconds to collect myself.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How was the message ignored? Because Amia isn't fat? That wasn't really the point.
Did they actually date? Or did his neurosis over fat girls take over and he dumped her after their little walk together? It's fine if he just isn't attracted to her, but there's no real mention of her after that big blow up.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
People don't remember Pamela?? For shame! I hope she shows up more during the rest of the season. I love her character.

Funniest part of the two episodes for me was Doc's stupid 4-legged-dog joke. I don't know why, maybe Grodin's delivery, but I had to pause for a few seconds to collect myself.

it has been 2 (or 3) years.

big ander

Did they actually date? Or did his neurosis over fat girls take over and he dumped her after their little walk together? It's fine if he just isn't attracted to her, but there's no real mention of her after that big blow up.
That's just how Louie's continuity works. He's had multiple sisters and a niece come in and leave with no explanation, a brother who disappeared for forever then came back without a word, ex-wives of different ethnicities, life-wrecking consequences that are immediately dropped (the Model debt), different dads, different moms.

None of the stories told with those characters are any less for not picking them back up later. Same goes for Louie and Vanessa. The end of So Did The Fat Lady clearly has Louie learning something (I interpreted it as him realizing he really does want to be with Vanessa, I've seen some say he was just pacifying her because he was uncomfortable hearing the truth), and then that story is over. That's it. There doesn't need to be any further mention because the conclusion was reached.

Louie needs to be largely restored to the square 1 Louie persona for each vignette/episode/multi-part because drawing in every past event could draw focus from what his aims are in that individual work. It wouldn't allow C.K. to explore those ideas in such a great way.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's just how Louie's continuity works. He's had multiple sisters and a niece come in and leave with no explanation, a brother who disappeared for forever then came back without a word, ex-wives of different ethnicities, life-wrecking consequences that are immediately dropped (the Model debt), different dads, different moms.

None of the stories told with those characters are any less for not picking them back up later. Same goes for Louie and Vanessa. The end of So Did The Fat Lady clearly has Louie learning something (I interpreted it as him realizing he really does want to be with Vanessa, I've seen some say he was just pacifying her because he was uncomfortable hearing the truth), and then that story is over. That's it. There doesn't need to be any further mention because the conclusion was reached.

Louie needs to be largely restored to the square 1 Louie persona for each vignette/episode/multi-part because drawing in every past event could draw focus from what his aims are in that individual work. It wouldn't allow C.K. to explore those ideas in such a great way.

My problem isn't plot continuity - this is a show where woman rapes Louie and nothing happens after that episode. It's just strange to have what feels like a message episode (or an after school episode), and then have it dropped completely. Maybe if there was an episode in between the two stories, I wouldn't have noticed it as much.

Quick

Banned
Is Pam back for at least a few more episodes?

I can see why Louie's upset with her, with how she left in season 2, but I hope that wasn't the last time we see her for a long time.

The Hermit

So did the fat lady blowed me away

I was with my mouth open during the whole speech of her. Jesus

Its amazing how close home Louie gets... I mean its like he is in my fucking mind

I just saw last episode... when I saw the three legged dog I said out loud "you have to be kidding me"

That's because yesterday I saw a three legged dog pet with and my GF said "at least he has two owners". Its the same message basically. Some dogs are worse other are better. But that dog was happy enough with his life, running with the remaining legs.

Fucking Louie

Arozay

Totally don't give a shit about this story, managed to watch both episodes straight faced. I really haven't enjoyed this season because it seems to have turned up the self-indulgent art film douchery to the next level. At least there's still the stand up portions.

RC

Banned
Still the only show the can make me laugh consistently.

It's going to end so badly with Louie and the Hungarian.

big ander

Huh, full listings for the rest of the season are online and currently they say that after elevator part 6 airs on the 2nd, we get
Pamela
Part 1, then on the 9th we actually have
In the Woods
Parts 1 and 2, then return to
Pamela
for Parts 2 and 3 on the final week. Which is different from what everything said at the start of the season, but will probably be a better structure anyway.
My problem isn't plot continuity - this is a show where woman rapes Louie and nothing happens after that episode. It's just strange to have what feels like a message episode (or an after school episode), and then have it dropped completely. Maybe if there was an episode in between the two stories, I wouldn't have noticed it as much.
Fair. I'm comfortable with it due to the compartmentalization of episodes, but I get what you're saying.
Is Pam back for at least a few more episodes?

I can see why Louie's upset with her, with how she left in season 2, but I hope that wasn't the last time we see her for a long time.
I'm not sure about in Elevator, but she is definitely definitely back for at least 3 episodes this season.

- Onion A|V Club's Internet Film School feature: Louie’s dreamlike reality
Most of us are accomplished watchers of TV and film, so we intuitively understand some of the concepts lurking in dense film-theory tomes. You won’t need them for Internet Film School, The A.V. Club’s column about film and television. In each installment, we explore a basic element of visual composition and analyze examples to understand how the formal properties of film and television manipulate viewers.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I think Jane is just too smart for her own age, and most of the adults in her life treat her like a little kid when she feels so much older and she resents that.

She could even end up being a child genius or something, is this storyline still continuing?

I think Jane is just too smart for her own age, and most of the adults in her life treat her like a little kid when she feels so much older and she resents that.

She could even end up being a child genius or something, is this storyline still continuing?

Yep, three more episodes to go.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I think this is true, but I think it's also notable that she's still very much a child--when she blusters about the futility of the school system and the mediocrity of her teachers, she's actually covering for an embarrassing social situation. The exact kind of misdirection that a child typically uses.

The violin scene certainly suggests that she's an extremely talented musician for her age, given that she picked up what Amia was playing by ear, perfectly, in only a few seconds and plays along.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It could be just a surreal interpretation of what the moment sounded like to Louie.

The show leaves basically everything deliberately ambiguous; did Pamela really kick him in the ass, or was it just that it felt like a kick in the ass? Did Jane actually ask "why isn't god on the news?" Did Louie really knock a model's daylights out or is it an expression of the fact that he's incapable of coping with an unexpected windfall and reacts by shutting things out? Did he really bomb so badly at the benefit, did Jerry really make fun of him quite so much, or is it just a manifestation of what it feels like when you're caught off guard and not at your best? Did the doctor really describe his back pain as boring or was he just a typically unhelpful GP?

Absent scenes that are explicitly fantastical like the garbagemen rummaging through his room or the scene where he swaps up the piss-cola-whatever-gross-water on the subway a few seasons ago to rapturous applause, it's all sort of ambiguous. I think that's fine. It's impressionistic. No need to sweat the details.

big ander

This AV Club breakdown is fun. And yeah, the thing with Louie is that you could take every scene as a dream sequence. It's all very much about plumbing his subconscious to get at universal human ideas, which is conventionally what the best film/tv is about.

skybald

Totally don't give a shit about this story, managed to watch both episodes straight faced. I really haven't enjoyed this season because it seems to have turned up the self-indulgent art film douchery to the next level. At least there's still the stand up portions.

That's too bad. I think Louie is at his prime right now. I think most people don't realize just how brilliant Louis CK is and just want the fart and cunt jokes.

Watching the show gives us a small, small window into his mind and I appreciate his comedy even more after watching the TV show.

Tucah

you speak so well
After tonight, the season's already more than half over.

It's been a fantastic season so far too, So Did The Fat Lady is among my favorites of the series and I've been really enjoying the Elevator episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom