• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Louie Season 4 |OT| He's finally back, Mondays on FX [S5 premieres Apr 9]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash27

I keep seeing references to the "So did the fat lady" episode. I saw the youtube of the "talk" they had where she complained about how it sucks. Definitely sympathetic but unpersuasive to me. I do like that it causes a conversation about things and it's interesting topics.

dcdobson

I didn't think that the fat girl monologue was supposed to be persuasive. No normative claims were being made, as far as I could tell. She was just describing her romantic experiences, which I have an easy time believing are shitty, by and large.

Z..

To me this came across as incredibly whiny and made the character unlikeable. Now if it this was coming from someone that was hideously ugly or was born with a deformity on their face that's one thing, but a fat girl? You can change that, it's not something you're born with and forced to live with. I cannot for the life of me find any empathy for the "struggle" of fat people.

That said, I love the way it was shot, really cool stuff.

You don't get it. She can change that, but she would be doing it for the wrong reasons. She clearly has no problems being fat and is comfortable with herself... and the general attitude towards her lifestyle choice is one of "you can change that", as if she should live her life according to the expectations of others. We all deserve to be loved for who we want to be. She has no problems being fat, but it fucking sucks that the rest of the world clearly does.

As a fan of women of all sizes, I totally get her.
I'd be all over someone like her, by the way... the crap she said before the monologue was hysterical and the monologue itself was such an honest moment. It's a shame most "real" people are too self-conscious to ever allow themselves to be this truthful about their feelings.

I didn't think that the fat girl monologue was supposed to be persuasive. No normative claims were being made, as far as I could tell. She was just describing her romantic experiences, which I have an easy time believing are shitty, by and large.
wow that was cold

TruckDriver

Neo Member
You don't get it. She can change that, but she would be doing it for the wrong reasons. She clearly has no problems being fat and is comfortable with herself... and the general attitude towards her lifestyle choice is one of "you can change that", as if she should live her life according to the expectations of others. We all deserve to be loved for who we want to be. She has no problems being fat, but it fucking sucks that the rest of the world clearly does.

I'd be all over someone like her, by the way... the crap she said before the monologue was hysterical and the monologue itself was such an honest moment. It's a shame most "real" people are too self-conscious to ever allow themselves to be this truthful about their feelings.

The rest of world dislikes her being fat because it's a problem that can easily be solved. You can say that being fat is a life style - I get that. But it is a life style that leads to health problems, ranging from joint pain to diabetes. That, and most people don't find obese people attractive. If she has trouble finding a boyfriend or husband, she needs to reevaluate her life. Maybe it means losing weight, just like a smoker should give up cigarettes for health and attraction reasons.

Oh, and along with being truthful, I find it funny that a woman being obese shouldn't have to change to find love. Yet, a guy who is very nerdy is told to change his image to attract a mate. Members of both sexes sometimes need to make changes to get what they want.

She's still whiny. She complains about guys not saying yes to her proposals. That can be said for anyone; fat, skinny, tall, short, whatever. She'll eventually find someone.

Z..

The rest of world dislikes her being fat because it's a problem that can easily be solved. You can say that being fat is a life style - I get that. But it is a life style that leads to health problems, ranging from joint pain to diabetes. That, and most people don't find obese people attractive. If she has trouble finding a boyfriend or husband, she needs to reevaluate her life. Maybe it means losing weight, just like a smoker should give up cigarettes for health and attraction reasons.

Oh, and along with being truthful, I find it funny that a woman being obese shouldn't have to change to find love. Yet, a guy who is very nerdy is told to change his image to attract a mate. Members of both sexes sometimes need to make changes to get what they want.

We see life in fundamentally different ways. You completely lost me at "A smoker should give up cigarettes for health and attraction reasons". lol

A guy who is very nerdy is told to change his image by fucking assholes. Nobody needs to make any changes, that's the point. Be who you are and fuck everyone who doesn't appreciate it.

Live and let live is the only way I can make sense of the world. You wanna be an obese ultranerd? Go for it, if it makes you happy.

She's still whiny. She complains about guys not saying yes to her proposals. That can be said for anyone; fat, skinny, tall, short, whatever. She'll eventually find someone.

It's not called being whiny, it's called expressing herself. Let her complain about whatever she wants... is life some sort of competition to you guys? oO
He fucked up, she called him on it and took the opportunity to vent a little. Seems perfectly normal to me.

TruckDriver

Neo Member
We see life in fundamentally different ways. You completely lost me at "A smoker should give up cigarettes for health and attraction reasons". lol

Why is that worth a lol? Smoking is bad for you, being obese is bad for you. A doctor will suggest giving up smoking or losing weight to improve your health.

A guy who is very nerdy is told to change his image by fucking assholes. Nobody needs to make any changes, that's the point. Be who you are and fuck everyone who doesn't appreciate it.

Live and let live is the only way I can make sense of the world. You wanna be an obese ultranerd? Go for it, if it makes you happy.

Society tells him to change his image. Lack of success with women tells him to change.

And I don't think I've met many obese ultranerds who are happy. The gal on Louis doesn't seem happy to me either.

Helmholtz

She clearly has no problems being fat and is comfortable with herself...
But she obviously does have problems with being fat. The fact of the matter is that a majority of people don't find being overweight or obese attractive. And if she has trouble living with that fact then she clearly has a problem with being fat. Can someone really expect all of society to change to accommodate her? Physical attraction isn't an easy thing to change; if you don't find a certain type of person attractive you probably never will. However losing weight is achievable, and the fact that others will find you more attractive is just one of the positive side effects of it.
At least that's how I see it. And I'm speaking as someone who chose to pursue a healthier lifestyle and diet and has lost weight as a result.
And while I do think overweight females have a more difficult time in the dating scene than males do, males also have it pretty rough as well.

Z..

Why is that worth a lol? Smoking is bad for you, being obese is bad for you. A doctor will suggest giving up smoking or losing weight to improve your health.

Because thinking someone is irresponsible when they knowingly do something that is bad for them is the ultimate joke, considering the way we live our lives, nowdays.

I personally used to be fat and am now fit and also used to smoke and quit. They were my decisions and I'm happy with them, but this mentality of telling other people how they should or shouldn't live their lives makes me burst out laughing considering the horrid state modern society is in.

Society tells him to change his image. Lack of success with women tells him to change.

And I don't think I've met many obese ultranerds who are happy. The gal on Louis doesn't seem happy to me either.

And he's the one who should decide wether or not he should listen. If he's unhappy, he should do something about it. But conforming to the norm is rarely the way to do so. Be who you want to be. If being obese makes you unhappy, clearly you don't want to be obese!

Not that it matters to the discussion at hand, but she did seem pretty happy to me. She seemed frustrated at men for not accepting her as she likes to be. All she complained about was lack of appreciation... a problem which could more easily be solved by findind a guy who likes her as she is (as I do) than by completely turning her life around and turning herself into a different person who she does not necessarily want to be, all for the sake of changing the way others see her. That's an absurdly harsh public mentality. She isn't even that fat!
I'd certainly be willing to try it out with someone her size, if they had a personality like she does!

And just so you won't immediately assume I'm some kind of no life basement dweller, you should know I'm incredibly active, socially, and am quite a hit among the female crowd. I date alot of "that female character from episode 2" types, not that it matters.

But she obviously does have problems with being fat. The fact of the matter is that a majority of people don't find being overweight or obese attractive. And if she has trouble living with that fact then she clearly has a problem with being fat. Can someone really expect all of society to change to accommodate her? Physical attraction isn't an easy thing to change; if you don't find a certain type of person attractive you probably never will. However losing weight is achievable, and the fact that others will find you more attractive is just one of the positive side effects of it.
At least that's how I see it. And I'm speaking as someone who chose to pursue a healthier lifestyle and diet and has lost weight as a result.
And while I do think overweight females have a more difficult time in the dating scene than males do, males also have it pretty rough as well.

All she's asking for is 1 guy who will treat her right, don't be such an extremist. She's clearly comfortable with herself, apart from that.

Plus, she's touching more on the fact that alot of guys would probably go out with her and treat her right if it didn't mean having to be seen with her in public. Which is the true stigma being examined. As she clearly said, they have no problem fucking her... so attraction is not the issue being debated here at all. It's the social condemnation of that same attraction by others.

I'll grant you the argument that she can change being fat.

The point still stands, however, that fat or chubby men are much more able to have normal relationships -- romantic, professional, whatever -- in our society than large women. Her monologue, although not explicitly so, was more about the disparate expectations and treatment of physical appearance between the two sexes.

TruckDriver

Neo Member
Because thinking someone is irresponsible when they knowingly do something that is bad for them is the ultimate joke, considering the way we live our lives, nowdays.

"Considering the way we live our lives"? Why is self-improvement seen as a joke? Should people not try to improve themselves?

I personally used to be fat and am now fit and also used to smoke and quit. They were my decisions and I'm happy with them, but this mentality of telling other people how they should or shouldn't live their lives makes me burst out laughing considering the horrid state modern society is in.

Growing up fat, I was not happy with myself. I know that people who are fat adults are not happy with themselves. I chose, as a teenager, to change my body and to get into shape.

I am not telling this person how to live their life. What I am saying is getting in shape would change her life for the better, and her complaints of not finding a man would be lessened. No one is guaranteed love, but staying in shape and leading an active life helps.

Not that it matters to the discussion at hand, but she did seem pretty happy to me. She seemed frustrated at men for not accepting her as she likes to be. All she complained about was lack of appreciation... a problem which could more easily be solved by findind a guy who likes her as she is (as I do) than by completely turning her life around and turning herself into a different person who she does not necessarily want to be, all for the sake of changing the way others see her. That's an absurdly harsh public mentality. She isn't even that fat!

Yes, and it could be improved as well by becoming more physically attractive.

Plus, she's touching more on the fact that alot of guys would probably go out with her and treat her right if it didn't mean having to be seen with her in public. Which is the true stigma being examined. As she clearly said, they have no problem fucking her... so attraction is not the issue being debated here at all. It's the social condemnation of that same attraction by others.

They have no problem fucking her because there is no commitment on the line. People want to commit to the very best they can get. Should the Louis CK's of the world bemoan that a fat girl wants their attention? No, because they're not bothering to take care of themselves either.

RangersFan

Just watched So did the Fat Lady, WOW is all I can say. I didn't even know the episode was getting so much praise and press. I just googled it because I knew instantly it must have resonated with a lot of people. Louie is such a talented writer and what a great job by Sarah Baker who I only know from Go On in a totally different role. No wonder why this guy needed to do things on his time table. If he keeps cranking out quality writing like this I don't care how long it takes between seasons. Louie was speaking for many guys and in many ways kind of apologizing on behalf of us.

edit: also kudos to FX for leaving in 'fucked' uncensored.

overcast

Wow, absolutely incredible. So Did The Fat Girl is one of the best episodes of Louie yet.

Fascinated to see where he takes the Elevator saga. The part where he is yelling at his daughter was incredibly powerful. Yet, I was dying when the foreign lady screamed him out of the house (with the accompanying siren in the background) and Louie ran upstairs and locked the door. Balance of this show is awe inspiring to me.

RangersFan

Man I watched it again. Lost in the genius of the Fat girl speech at the end is the bang-bang. LOL, the disgust on the Indian guys face says it all. Definitely a top 3 Louie episode.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
"So Did the Fat Lady" is probably the most "real-feeling" episode of the show ever, to me. Pretty phenomenal job he did on it.

I missed "So Did The Fat Lady" last week but caught up on it this weekend.

Such a fantastic episode from start to finish. Loved the hypocrisy of the guys checking out a bunch of hot, fit women before partaking in something so gluttonous and that theme of insecurity in the first half, which Louie was totally oblivious to in his interactions with Vanessa.

Louie's always pining after women in much better shape than he is, which is an obvious rip on the typical comedian-with-a-family sitcom, and it was interesting to see him paired up with someone more like him, but wears their insecurities about their weight much better than most of us. Unlike Louie, Vanessa doesn't let any of that show through until he brings it up and sets her off on her spiel (which was brilliantly delivered), and by the end of it you don't know if he takes her hand just to shut her up, if she really got through to him, or if it's still going right over his head how much of a hypocrite he's being.

A lot of my friends tell me they can't watch the show because it's just too awkward and uncomfortable when stuff like this happens. I can kinda see where they're coming from, Louis thrives on that feeling of discomfort in social situations which he can turn into some pretty hilarious comedy. This scene, brilliantly shot, was definitely awkward and uncomfortable but in such an amazing way because it's not something that ever comes up in prime time TV. Fat people are for jokes, not for empathy or real scrutiny - and there are so many aspects here from expectations to self-loathing to dating insecurities that never get discussed from a male or female perspective that any momentary discomfort experienced was totally worth it.

"Elevator Pt. 1" was great as well, looking forward to seeing how he handles a longer-form story in the next couple weeks.

hughesta

Banned
I feel that I'm a bit younger than most users on GAF, and while elementary school is obviously a foggy blur to me, I do recall Christopher Columbus being glamorized as "the first American hero."

What other lies was I told

I feel that I'm a bit younger than most users on GAF, and while elementary school is obviously a foggy blur to me, I do recall Christopher Columbus being glamorized as "the first American hero."

In restrospect, it's crazy how much of the American mythology that was taught in elementary school (Paul Revere and all that) was total bullshit.

Jarrod38

What you were taught in school was a lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom