• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucha Underground Season 2 |OT| Wrestling is fun again, again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daemissary

wwe has been around since 1980. There should be no expectation to have as much activity in a lucha underground thread as a raw thread. Also not everyone has access to el rey in parts of this country and certainly the world

The access to El Rey is a legit excuse but the "WWE has been around since 1980" excuse is exactly the problem I was trying to point out. People should really try to be smarter consumers.

NoRéN

Was driving to downtown la earlier and saw a fire near where Lucha films and got worried. Turns out it was one of the many hipster art galleries or something.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Cuerno and Fenix are two of the best performers in the promotion, and the very first episode is an amazing match between both of them for a title shot.
tumblr_o1n82tUfnT1sbzhteo1_400.gif

tumblr_o1n7gnWo9Z1sbzhteo1_400.gif

TDmlQUw.gif

sdaasdasffai4sq5.gif

Pentagon and Mil are my boys, but Cuerno is too. And Fenix and Drago. That's honestly the best part about Lucha Underground is the fact that I have competing favorites for myself. It's like watching Transformers as a kid or some shit and being like 'oh man that dude's cool. but oh man so is that dude!' and that's what happens when you book several viable stars. Every single one of those guys I mentioned could be booked as champion in the future. They've all been booked strongly and not relegated to jobber status.

NoRéN

I feel the same way when it comes to mil and Cuerno. Their presence is incredible. They come out and you instantly know you are in for a show.

Ahhh! Getting hyped for this weekend's tapings.

More people need to be into this. Only 3 pages? The fuck is wrong with people?

There's not much to complain about when a show is this good. Wrestling thread posters are far more motivated by hate than appreciation.

This show was amazing. What a season premier. The way they turned the hiatus into an advantage and a plot device...brilliant. The way the show built to that bang, bang, bang ending in the last three minutes. So awesome.

I have friends who hate wrestling that are watching this now. And loving it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Any other promotion, this would be farfetched.

but I'm hoping Cuerno fires a fucking bow at Mil's throne with a flaming arrow. I half expect it, honestly.

NoRéN

There's not much to complain about when a show is this good. Wrestling thread posters are far more motivated by hate than appreciation.

This show was amazing. What a season premier. The way they turned the hiatus into an advantage and a plot device...brilliant. The way the show built to that bang, bang, bang ending in the last three minutes. So awesome.

I have friends who hate wrestling that are watching this now. And loving it.
Was just about to say that. Raw thread is full of bitching and brain dead praise for new day.

Lucha Underground is good. What is there to bitch about?

Aiii

So not worth it
Fenix vs. Drago was all kinds of wonderful. What a great first match back.

The rest was angle driven, but what an angle. Catrina being in charge and Mil sitting as king atop the temple. Fucking great stuff, he looks so menacing. The three-way was fun, but not that special, however Ivelisse vs. Mil was much better than it had any right to be, showing how to make Intergender matches look credible despite being ridiculous, heh.

And then the end with Pentagon Jr. breaking Mil's arm, followed up by the return of the main man, Dario!

Oh god yes, it's everything I could have wished for.

Lucha Underground is king.

-edit: Oh, and totally forgot about the Vampiro open... That was great stuff.

I enjoy Cuerno's offence the most on the show because on a roster where even the huge guys are pulling out flippy Lucha moves he manages to make simple dives and elbows look like the most brutal attacks seen in any episode. Now on top of that his new big match finisher is disgusting.

Last nights episode was fantastic. Opening match was up there with the best gimickless matches in season one, the intergender stuff was less awkward than it was last year outside of a few cringy statements from commentary and as Data said the booking was fantastic in how they're set up all the top guys as potential threats despite Mil's Godking status.

My only concern going forward is when Marty the Moth comes back because fuck that guy.

Andrew J.

Awesome episode last night. I'm particularly glad that we got to see some real wrestling from Yvelisse; felt like she spent half the first season injured.

The only mildly disappointing things for me were the absence of Drago and, to a lesser extent, Aerostar.

Shiv47

Like wrestling in the 80s when I grew up, when you limit the exposure of the product and keep the audience wanting more, coupled with intelligent booking, you have a winner. If LU were forced to crank out 5+ hours of bullshit a week like WWE, it would probably be garbage too. The episode last night was a great start to the season, can't wait to see where it goes.

Aiii

So not worth it
Awesome episode last night. I'm particularly glad that we got to see some real wrestling from Yvelisse; felt like she spend half the first season injured.

Because she did. It was a legit injury btw, coupled with taping several months worth of episodes in a couple of sequential nights.

Awesome episode last night. I'm particularly glad that we got to see some real wrestling from Yvelisse; felt like she spend half the first season injured.

The only mildly disappointing things for me were the absence of Drago and, to a lesser extent, Aerostar.

Ivelisse broke her foot last February, and they taped a bunch of stuff through the end of Season 1 in March, so her injury came at a really bad time.

Foggy

Having Fenix lose the belt to Cuerno was actually a smart idea since they really need to build that Fenix/Mil feud more. GodMil is just getting started and I would hate to have him lose so soon or beat Fenix without a quality build-up. Also it gives a big push to Cuerno which I definitely appreciate.

It kinda goes back to my misgivings about the Gift of the Gods belt when so many title shots have been gifted. This episode's title shot worked for me, but I don't know how long they can keep up this dynamic. At some point they gotta stop gifting random title shots or really give that belt some weight.

Also, for a second, I thought Catrina was going to do some crazy possession shit with that stone on Ivelisse and make her a new disciple. The fact that this was plausible and get me super excited basically encapsulates what's so awesome about LU.

Tom Nook

LU feels like the old WCW cruiserweight days, where every wrestler puts on an awesome performance. Back in WCW, I don't mind the title changes hands more often because I felt every cruiserweight is equal in skills to one another and deserving of the belt.

the_standard

Neo Member
I watched LU for the first time besides some random clips. It was great totally worth the hype. There is really no merch site? beside elrey network merch? I explained it to a friend that its like the MK movies but instead of fight scenes you get great wrestling matches. Also the match length was real refreshing. I'm going to watch season 1 and continue with 2. new fan.

I've missed how differently Lucha Underground looks and feels compared to other wrestling shows. The color saturation, the hyperactive editing, the lighting, the different camera angles, the different kinds of music the luchadores use: it all adds to a unique program.

It's great to have it back.

Also, look at Cuerno's fucking dope hat!
tumblr_nfvwrkGYKB1teumb9o1_500.png

I've missed how differently Lucha Underground looks and feels compared to other wrestling shows. The color saturation, the hyperactive editing, the lighting, the different camera angles, the different kinds of music the luchadores use: it all adds to a unique program.

It's great to have it back.

Also, look at Cuerno's fucking dope hat!
tumblr_nfvwrkGYKB1teumb9o1_500.png

Wrong hat

tumblr_o1ntqaTECo1snhdpvo1_500.gif

NoRéN

I watched LU for the first time besides some random clips. It was great totally worth the hype. There is really no merch site? beside elrey network merch? I explained it to a friend that its like the MK movies but instead of fight scenes you get great wrestling matches. Also the match length was real refreshing. I'm going to watch season 1 and continue with 2. new fan.

Merch Site

They need some posters with the logo though.

deli2000

Just watched the first episode of season 2 after hearing the rave reviews in this thread and reading the OP. Hot damn, what a show. I'm officially hooked.

Dthomp

So the camerawork seemed different to me last night. Is this due to a new arena or layout? I felt like some of the great shots of big moves last season were missed or just not as effective last night. Maybe I'm just crazy?

I enjoyed that and i'm really looking forward to the rest of the season. Although i thought the first few matches were a little slack with their timing i was totally in for the final two, there may have been some whooping and hollering. Things are warming up nicely and i'll be on a media blackout as i've heard there's some spoilerific stuff out there and yeah, it's a scripted wrestling show but i like the ride and how it unfolds :)

Now i need to remind my brother to look for the merch when he's in the US next.

NoRéN

So the camerawork seemed different to me last night. Is this due to a new arena or layout? I felt like some of the great shots of big moves last season were missed or just not as effective last night. Maybe I'm just crazy?

Same arena and layout. Maybe they learned from any mistakes last season.

That was brilliant, great to have LU back, the only wrestling show that can maintain a highly entertaining pace for 60 minutes. That opener was fantastic as well.

Itching for episode 2.

Look WWE - you can get everyone heavily invested in everyone on your roster! All you have to do is not book everything around one handpicked guy. Simple stuff.

Kaladin

I think what hooks me is the presentation. Sure, they have great wrestling....anyone can do that these days. But the cinematic presentation is what stands out to me. I loved the opening with Ian in the psych ward explaining why he's back at the commentary booth and not still in the insane Vampiro character. If this was WWE, they would have the pill bottle sitting next to a Mountain Dew on the commentary table with a line from Striker asking about it and maybe a chuckle or two about some insane character from the past.

Lucha Underground takes wrestling from sports entertainment to pure cinematic entertainment, and that is what I love.

I think what hooks me is the presentation. Sure, they have great wrestling....anyone can do that these days. But the cinematic presentation is what stands out to me. I loved the opening with Ian in the psych ward explaining why he's back at the commentary booth and not still in the insane Vampiro character. If this was WWE, they would have the pill bottle sitting next to a Mountain Dew on the commentary table with a line from Striker asking about it and maybe a chuckle or two about some insane character from the past.

Lucha Underground takes wrestling from sports entertainment to pure cinematic entertainment, and that is what I love.

"Remember when Vampiro went crazy with Pentagon Maggle? He's ok now, he just likes to have fun Maggle"

I loved the intro, I loved the Mil Muertes showing Triple H what a real wrestling Shao Khan looks like. I especially loved Pentagon f'in Jr showing up at the end for his armbreaker.

I can even forgive them for the Dario's monster brother stuff, because it jumps the shark so frickin' hard.

And i'm looking forward to actually giving a shit about Rey Mysterio for the first time in years, like when season one made me give a shit about Del Rio for the first time ever.

Mideon

NoRéN;193571519 said:
Merch Site

They need some posters with the logo though.

US only :- (

UK neends some LU love.

First episode of Season 2 was amazing I went nuts at the ending and loved the skit at the beginning with Vampiro.Damn got to wait another week for an ep!!

It's not like Vince couldn't have evolved his product this way, but he decided to make straight to DVD movies with wrestlers, sorry, 'superstars' in them instead. Such a shame.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I said it last season, but I'll say it again.

Vampiro's the best color commentator in years. He's not as smart or quick witted as Heenan or Ventura, but his experiences and his excitement are downright infectious. He always sounds sincere and brings up good points. I loved him during the Ivellise/Mil match. 'I hope she wins it and I'm so proud of it, but look at what she's facing' and I love watching him run halfway across the arena whenever hype shit happens. And now I'm real interested to see how his character goes in season 2.

Opening of season 2 was the best promo he's ever cut and the first time his character has matched his look because his wcw promos were always so hit and miss.

Kaladin

Man, that Ivellise/Mil main event. You knew she wouldn't have a chance at winning, but they made the struggle entertaining at least. It reminded me of that time Rey Mysterio challenged Undertaker for the belt at the Royal Rumble a few years back. You knew Rey would get squashed, but he still made a fight out of it.

I can't wait to see who knocks Mil of his throne.

I said it last season, but I'll say it again.

Vampiro's the best color commentator in years. He's not as smart or quick witted as Heenan or Ventura, but his experiences and his excitement are downright infectious. He always sounds sincere and brings up good points. I loved him during the Ivellise/Mil match. 'I hope she wins it and I'm so proud of it, but look at what she's facing' and I love watching him run halfway across the arena whenever hype shit happens. And now I'm real interested to see how his character goes in season 2.

Opening of season 2 was the best promo he's ever cut and the first time his character has matched his look because his wcw promos were always so hit and miss.

I like him and Striker as a team because they have strong chemistry, which covers their shortcomings. They sound like they're having fun and they know what they're talking about - compared to Lawler's terrible jokes or JBL's referencing of old TV shows, or Michael Cole 99% of the time, they're a breath of fresh air.

Maybe they should run a parody storyline where Dario is shouting in their earpieces all through the show to push his own narcissistic agenda and outdated views.

Man, that Ivellise/Mil main event. You knew she wouldn't have a chance at winning, but they made the struggle entertaining at least. It reminded me of that time Rey Mysterio challenged Undertaker for the belt at the Royal Rumble a few years back. You knew Rey would get squashed, but he still made a fight out of it.

I can't wait to see who knocks Mil of his throne.

Shame Mil gets the sodding reverse STO as a finisher though, especially with Cuerno's nasty new package Tombstone.

ErichWK

So I saw this thread and immediately caught the first episode of Season 2. I am 100000% sold this is awesome. I used to watch WWF in the late 90s but fell out of it because the wrestlers became boring and lame and not cool. All these wrestlers are awesome and ridiculous and over the top, I'm glad to get back into it. EVALICE!! YOU CRUSHED IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom