• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Vamphuntr

I beat the first mansion. Hopefully the professor doesn't annoy you every time you do something in the second mansion.

The first boss was really fun. I hate the fact you can't free roam the mansion to collect the collect-a-ton items. Replaying mission is boooring.

Ziek

Anyone else getting an error message after completing missions? It says an error has occurred and makes me restart. I don't lose progress but I'm afraid I'm missing something in between completing a mission and choosing the next one.

Just bought the 3DS XL today....

EDIT:
The Knights in the guard hall are also not appearing...are they supposed to vanish?

dwu8991

Banned
I beat the first mansion. Hopefully the professor doesn't annoy you every time you do something in the second mansion.

The first boss was really fun. I hate the fact you can't free roam the mansion to collect the collect-a-ton items. Replaying mission is boooring.

padding it out !

braves01

Banned
Anyone else getting an error message after completing missions? It says an error has occurred and makes me restart. I don't lose progress but I'm afraid I'm missing something in between completing a mission and choosing the next one.

EDIT:
The Knights in the guard hall are also not appearing...are they supposed to vanish?

Yes to the spoilered question.

Vamphuntr

EDIT:

They are not there for one mission. The third or fourth one I think?

Neiteio

EDIT:
Yeah, I think they're absent on the third mission. On the fourth mission, you'll see why stuff is doing that.

As for your error message, not sure what's causing it, but regarding what happens between missions... When you finish a mission, Gadd calls you via the DS. Luigi then leaps into the air spewing confetti from his Poltergust 5000. You're shown the score breakdown, while Luigi stands on the right side of the screen. Then Luigi dissolves into pixels, and you see the loading screen where the pixels are flying through the green vortex. Then back in the lab, Gadd might say a thing or two, and then Luigi unloads the contents of his Poltergust by hooking it up to the machine that sends the ghosts down to the vault. Are you seeing all of that? If so, you're not missing anything, and if you did miss anything, I'm sure you could quickly watch those bits in videos of the missions uploaded to YouTube.

A simple system update, done through Settings on the Home Menu, might remedy whatever is causing your system to act this way.

So I'm on mission A-4 and...
I'm on the balcony with the grill. Theres a spiderweb blocking the doorway to the dining room and I don't know how to get past it. I assume I have to burn it with the grill, but I don't know how to.

Help? It's probably right in front of me but I can't figure it out.

DaBoss

Wait, why are there two different FC lists? Which one should I be adding my FC to? The one in the OP?

Yes.

So I'm on mission A-4 and...
I'm on the balcony with the grill. Theres a spiderweb blocking the doorway to the dining room and I don't know how to get past it. I assume I have to burn it with the grill, but I don't know how to.

Help? It's probably right in front of me but I can't figure it out.

Go to the Library entrance that is blocked by a spider web. Use your dark light around that area and you will find out a way to get to your destination.

AXavierB

Neo Member
Can anyone tell me where the Boo in the Poltergeist mission of Gloomy Manor is? The one where you have to investigate the piano music? I swear I've looked in every room and I can't find it.

EDIT: Never mind, found it.

I wasnt a huge fan of the original, how similar is it?

It's kind of hard to describe. It's the same at its core but different in a lot of really significant ways. They shifted the mechanics around a lot.

For one thing, it's mission-based. Each time you visit a mansion there's a specific objective.

Nezumi

Can anyone tell me where the Boo in the Poltergeist mission of Gloomy Manor is? The one where you have to investigate the piano music? I swear I've looked in every room and I can't find it.

Maybe next time you want to give at least a little hint about what you are spoilering ;) Anyway:
I think it is on the first floor in the left hallway from the main hall. The room in the back. It is the one where the ghosts where painting in the mission before. You can now enter it through the door. Use the Black light on the cloth hanging in the air where the painting used to be.

Murrah

Banned

It's pretty significantly different. The core concept is the same but it plays very different; capturing ghosts feels way more satisfying in this than it did in the original, and it just feels more like a full fledged game in general than the tech demo feel the original had

I'm not too far yet though so I can't comment on how successful they are at keeping it all fresh across the whole game

Neiteio

The new mission structure makes it seem much more focused than the original, while at the same time increasing the variety, with something new around every corner. And the puzzling that was once reserved for the portrait ghosts in the original has now been integrated into every room in each mansion, so you can expect tons of interaction uncovering reams and reams of treasure. The game constantly rewards you for thorough, thoughtful exploration and experimentation. And the addition of the strobe attack and the dodge function makes ghost-wrangling more fun than ever. :)

I had only played Hunter and the Puppy mode in multiplayer until my first encounter with Rush mode right now, I think it's my favorite mode at this point, it really expects everyone to work together or you all fail.

I can see so far that people aren't grasping Rush mode online yet haha

So there's no way to go collectible-hunting without being forced to replay missions/objectives? Super-lame if so. I get the reasoning behind the mission structure being a handheld game and all but not giving you a free roam option once you've finished a mansion's missions was a terrible choice.

Question about a certain amethyst I can't find:
Where is the tear-shaped amethyst in Gloomy Manor? I've been looking everywhere for it. If I had to guess, it would be either in the lab or the lobby, but no luck in either rooms so far. It's the last one I need.

So there's no way to go collectible-hunting without being forced to replay missions/objectives? Super-lame if so. I get the reasoning behind the mission structure being a handheld game and all but not giving you a free roam option once you've finished a mansion's missions was a terrible choice.

The missions don't really get in the way of treasure hunting. The entire mansion is open to you as you get to later missions. It's not like a linear path with unimportant rooms blocked off or anything.

Still haven't been able to get passed floor 4 in Rush with strangers....even though this last time we all seemed on the same page.

Super fun though, I keep trying.

Nezumi

Question about a certain amethyst I can't find:
Where is the tear-shaped amethyst in Gloomy Manor? I've been looking everywhere for it. If I had to guess, it would be either in the lab or the lobby, but no luck in either rooms so far. It's the last one I need.

The missions don't really get in the way of treasure hunting. The entire mansion is open to you as you get to later missions. It's not like a linear path with unimportant rooms blocked off or anything.

Well the answer to your question actually shows that the above is not entirely correct.
That one has been the only one I couldn't find on my own so far. It can only be found in mission 3. Examine the right armor in the entrance hall. Its helmet will come off you can than suck it up and shoot it at the painting depicting another helmet...

TrueBlue

Ending spoilers:

Am I the only one who adores the brief interaction between Mario and Luigi in the ending scene? Put a big grin on my face.

Vamphuntr

The boos are mission specific and some of the gem cannot be acquired in every mission so you do need to replay them.

Well the answer to your question actually shows that the above is not entirely correct.
That one has been the only one I couldn't find on my own so far. It can only be found in mission 3. Examine the right armor in the entrance hall. Its helmet will come off you can than suck it up and shoot it at the painting depicting another helmet...

I was able to pick that up during the time trial, actually.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So...getting three stars. How is this possible? No matter how fast or perfect I think my runs are, I usually end up with 2 and sometimes even 1 star. I'm still early in(2nd mansion) so maybe you require more upgrades after beating the game?

Tried to add myself to the FC list in the OP but I'm either too stupid or it's view only, so could I be added to the list? Gonna wanna do some multiplayer after I knock out some missions.

3926-4836-6837

Jintor

+ Secrets
+ No damage
+ Strobe-lighting the shit out of rats and getting the cash money bonuses from ultra-vacuuming Ghosties

Wiz

Dammit, I've been stuck on the BlackLight level for a while now, I think it's A-4. Trying to get into the room that the Boo is in.

Can someone help? :(

Top Bottom