• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Just beat the game and it was a very enjoyable ride. Well done Next-Level Games!

What I liked:
  • The clever puzzles
  • The great variety in mechanics introduced throughout the game
  • The first and penultimate boss fight
  • The mission based structure of the game
  • The great music and atmosphere
  • The interaction between E. Gadd and Luigi
  • The ghosts - I don't quite agree with the reviews that they lacked personality
What I didn't like:
  • The rest of the boss fights
  • Being locked into a direction when using the lights or using the Poltergust 5000
  • Some repetition in the missions
Haven't really tried out the multiplayer yet, but would love to play with GAF at some point

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just tried the multiplayer with some randoms. It's great!

I did last night for about an hour. Noticed randoms seem pretty terrible at the mode where you have to find the exit. So many times where I'd be at the exit calling out to them and they'd just be meandering around doing nothing useful -_- Best I did was like floor 4 (out of 5 :( )

Madouu

I'm taking my sweet time with this, just beat the first boss, was really nice. I hope the difficulty ramps up a bit, so far I haven't really been stuck anywhere, some even more elaborate puzzles would be nice!

Apart from this, I'm really loving the game.

Just downloaded this and played the first mission on pure GAF hype. It delivers so far, this game has a lot of personality, very charming.

Yuterald

Tried the multiplayer out yesterday and it feels kind of junky. I guess it's the net code that makes watching other players suck up ghosts look janky, I don't know. The whole thing feels tacked on and and it generally doesn't feel like it's part of the rest of the game. Oh well, not really a multiplayer guy so maybe it's just not for me.

ha, I just realized every mansion has the same basic theme song, just re-arranged differently.

That's pretty cool! The original LM did something similar with the main theme (what you hear in E. Gadd's lab in this game)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
OMG THE MULTIPLAYER FOR THIS IS SO GOOD

SO
GOOD

But it's hard to get a full 4 person game going. Plus most of the games I find are hosted in Japan. The matchmaking for this game is subpar.

Grisby

Thinking about picking this up this week. Never did buy the cube one because of the length complaints. I know this is longer but hows the replay value outside of the campaign. Enzo seems to make a case for the MP above but is there anything super special ala Mario 3D Land?

Having completed Castlevania MOF a few weeks ago I want to keep my 3DS out of it's case.

tkscz

I will say I wish it was more of a pathfinder. It still has elements of one, probably since the original was one, but it gets disrupted by E. Gadd constantly jumping in and telling me what to do, instead if letting me figure it out. I haven't gotten far into the game though so who knows (and don't spoil it for me).

Question though, anyone else noticed just random jumps in the frames per second? Most rooms are running at around 30 - 40, and some will just jump straight to 60 out of the blue.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm really liking this game, it's a lot more bite sized than the OG Luigi's Mansion which helps as it's a handheld. That said it's missing a bit of the sense of adventure that the original had. Still a whole lot of fun though.

zroid

Banned
I just discovered my exam is in two weeks. I thought it was at least 3-4 weeks out. This is really going to cut into Luigi Time™. :(
and Fire Emblem time and HarmoKnight time...

StAidan

My copy was delivered today, so I dug into it tonight. I've only done the first two missions, but I like what I'm seeing so far. I sort of came into this blind since I've never played Luigi's Mansion (GCN).

The humor in this game is just great. My 2-year-old was watching me during the first mission and laughed at all of Luigi's little mannerisms and reactions. I think it's awesome how Luigi hums along with the background music occasionally.

I can tell the signature Nintendo-level effort has gone into all the design/development. It's not Kid Icarus: Uprising levels of epic, but it's not far off. REALLY looking forward to continuing tomorrow.

OryoN

I had unlocked the second mansion but dont feel like moving on until I find all the gems in the first mansion. I'm only missing one(the tear-drop shaped one) but it feels like I've searched every nook and cranny. Anyone care to drop a hint without directly giving away the answer? Perhaps just saying the general location would suffice. Like: 1st FL, west side, for example.

This awesome game shall not get the best of me!

I had unlocked the second mansion but dont feel like moving on until I find all the gems in the first mansion. I'm only missing one(the tear-drop shaped one) but it feels like I've searched every nook and cranny. Anyone care to drop a hint without directly giving away the answer? Perhaps just saying the general location would suffice. Like: 1st FL, west side, for example.

This awesome game shall not get the best of me!
I understand your frustration. Check out some of the spoilered posts on the previous page. But anyway, the area:
The Foyer. Has to be done in a specific mission, too.

A question about upgrades:
is there one after the 20k one, or no? There's no way I unlocked all the upgrades as early as the second mansion...right?

I did the boss in
the fifth mansion last night
. It took me forty minutes and I still got 2 stars. It was the second best fight so far, after the first boss. And
Luigi's dance at the end
was just about the most adorable thing I've ever seen in a video game.

eggwolio

I'm really terrible, but it was fun. Also, for the record, when you were in the jar and I captured two ghosts, I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I pushed B instead of A. Whoops.

I'm really terrible, but it was fun. Also, for the record, when you were in the jar and I captured two ghosts, I want trying to be a jerk. I pushed B instead of A. Whoops.

You did great, I've seen some "beginners" get everyone killed haha

Also, I've found it hard to rescue peeps when there are ghosts around as well, you start sucking the ghosts instead of the ball on the pot or the rug or the ghost knock you down. At least in the rug you can somewhat fight back, that jar is a bitch.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I'm really terrible, but it was fun. Also, for the record, when you were in the jar and I captured two ghosts, I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I pushed B instead of A. Whoops.

No big man, I would've gotten the ghosts first too, otherwise they would've just kept smacking you.

Top Bottom