• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

ElRenoRaven

Jesus this game is sick. Fucking gorgeous too, I can't believe the 3DS can make games this pretty.

Fun as hell and the music and little details are fantastic. Hats off to the devs.

I know it's crazy. I was actually just playing a mission on my lunch break here and it's just amazing how interactive the environments are while looking damn good. Throw in the music and everything else and it's just an amazing looking and sounding game.

All right...all right. Hold up a minute. It's comments like this that send my interest meter into the red.

How so? I wait for games like that. I mean, I'll play anything good, but I'm always on the lookout for something with staying power. I was under the impression this was a fairly short adventure.

I've only done the first mansion just to say from the outset.

I received it yesterday and I played 4 hours in total. That is a disgusting amount of time just to put into a game in a single day for me, especially as I have a massive exam I need to be revising for.

The levels feel like they can be continually replayed, first time in a long time I've wanted to speedrun a game and try to find the most efficient route.

I tried some of the multiplayer today and it's great fun, has a coop/competitive aspect which makes it addictive.

I just want more but I have to revise.

CoolS

Just got this. A few questions:

What's the best medal you can get? And do I have to collect everything AND be fast to get it?

And at the mission select screen, there are two "points", one which seems to be for the medal. What is the other one for?

And lastly, does the game tell you how many jewels there are in each mission?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So I think I'm stuck in B-2 and need to restart the level to complete it.

I ignored the gate and went around exploring the mansion and now I can't use the lift underneath the bed to get to the basement where the final pinwheel is located. I've got the boo, 3 gems, and over 1k treasure but I have no idea of I can do that part again.

That is some truly abysmal level design if I can't get back down there in order to complete the mission.

This hapenned to me to, but I looked around the room and there was a balloon spawner hidden in there, which allowa you to go back down.

MrKaepora

Just got this. A few questions:

What's the best medal you can get? And do I have to collect everything AND be fast to get it?

And at the mission select screen, there are two "points", one which seems to be for the medal. What is the other one for?

And lastly, does the game tell you how many jewels there are in each mission?
The best medal is the one with three stars, to get it it depends on how you play but from my experience it seems like you have to collect lots of gold, capture all the ghosts or just finish the stage without being hit.

About the two points: one is your classification in the stage, the other is to tell you if you capture the boo on that stage.

The jewels, I think it's two for each stage but there are some that you can capture later.

Did anyone else experience this glitch?

*Very minor information about the first mission, roughly 5 minutes into the game*

In the room to the right of the entrance, you can look through a window to see a Polterpup playing with a gem.

Did anyone else get a sound glitch here? Everytime I used the window it would make all the sound effects, apart from the music, disappear. Had to restart three times. :(

Still, was fine if I avoided it. Wondering if anyone else had it? It happened consistently for me.

Yeah, I got the sound glitch twice now. Sticks out in an otherwise great game.

K' Dash

Well, I got 40+ friends now but how the hell do we organize a Scare Scrapper session? a mean I can see everybody online but there's no way to tell them "Hey, you up for some ScareScraper?" that's a bit disappointing :-/

Chromie

Banned
Well, I got 40+ friends now but how the hell do we organize a Scare Scrapper session? a mean I can see everybody online but there's no way to tell them "Hey, you up for some ScareScraper?" that's a bit disappointing :-/

*cough I'd like some more friends for Luigi's Mansion cough*

3196-3157-9479

Started this an hour ago. It feels like a really well done Disney movie. Just better.

Monster Hunter, sorry but I have to bench you for some time...

I've been playing nonstop since I got it and have been enjoying it like crazy. I don't leave a mission until I 100% it and am upto mission D-2 100%ed. I have been enjoying this game so much, but then D-3 came.
You have a minute to get the final gem, and if you don't do the mini mission of killing the ghosts with snowballs you have to redo the ENTIRE FUCKING MISSION OVER AGAIN! Its so fucking annoying. Way to completely ruin a game damn it.

Shocking that Gamefly shipped me this game even though it's at low stock o_o

How long is it? Did I pick the right game to bring with me on vacation? :p

heringer

This game is incredibly charming. Luigi's humming along with the the song is adorable, and the level of detail in the animations reminded me of Punch Out Wii.

Just got it in. Unbelivable how good this looks.

I wonder how it compares to the original, which I never played. Judging from the videos the style is a little different, with Dark Moon being a little bit more cartoony.

I am going to host a game in about an hour (9pm EST).

Warrior_Keoni aka Nocturne via 3DS. Don't forget to add the folks on the list people!

3110-4362-0356 again for anyone that needs to add.

jyoung188

Wow, I'm loving this game. Haven't tried out the multiplayer yet but I want to soon, I'm only half way through the second mansion. It's so damn charming!

I added myself to the friends list doc.

Anyone feel free to add me: 2921-9132-6286

I am going to host a game in about an hour (9pm EST).

Warrior_Keoni aka Nocturne via 3DS. Don't forget to add the folks on the list people!

3110-4362-0356 again for anyone that needs to add.

Wow, I'm loving this game. Haven't tried out the multiplayer yet but I want to soon, I'm only half way through the second mansion. It's so damn charming!

I added myself to the friends list doc.

Anyone feel free to add me: 2921-9132-6286
Sure I'm up for some multiplayer.

4296-3009-7331

bridegur

The amount of detail and care put into this are amazing. The animation, the houses, the ghost design, it's just fun to look at, let alone play. I never owned the original -- if I like this, is it worth looking into?

Sanic

Am I alone in not enjoying the mission based structure?

My issue is that when I want to just focus on collectibles, I can't really do that. I have to follow the mission structure to advance further into the level, and then I have to actually finish the mission for my collectible progress to save.

HoJu

It's amazing that there's still no instant messaging system on the 3DS.
What is Nintendo doing?

Mistle

Picked this up and SO EXCITED to get stuck into it. Been waiting over a decade for this game.

Just going to blow my mind by finishing Virtue's Last Reward first, then I'll start it up. 3DS is so good.

Vamphuntr

Am I alone in not enjoying the mission based structure?

My issue is that when I want to just focus on collectibles, I can't really do that. I have to follow the mission structure to advance further into the level, and then I have to actually finish the mission for my collectible progress to save.

I hate it too. Later on it gets so annoying because some gems are tied to one time timed minigames which when you fail you have to restart the whole level.

Ran into another glitch but this time in a boss fight. Boss of chapter 3 I got stuck in one of the wall and had to restart.

How do you cross the bridge in D-1? No matter how I push the stick he keeps falling off the bridge.

The more I play the game the more I'm starting to find flaws :S

Ridley327

I'm three mansions in now, and I do have one legit complaint: the first boss has been by far the best one. The second boss has a really neat and funny design to it, but it's a really short fight because of how easy it is to figure out, and the third boss only barely qualifies as one. Hopefully, things will pick up again in that regard, because I'd hate to see that as being the best the game has to offer for bosses.

Sanic

I hate it too. Later on it gets so annoying because some gems are tied to one time timed minigames which when you fail you have to restart the whole level.

Wow, i'm not far enough for those yet I guess. That's unfortunate.

It's even worse because they wouldn't have to really change anything about the game in order for it to be open ended instead of mission based. All you're doing is completing missions to advance further into the mansion, so why not just be fed an additional objective as you complete one instead of breaking things up?

Finally got to play this last night. Next Level knocked it out of the park. They completely nailed the Nintendo charm, because this games oozes charm all over the place. And I assume ecto-plasm.

Chopper

Anecdotal evidence, but I immediately Streetpassed my other 3DS upon quitting the game just now. Suggests that maybe Streetpass is deactivated during this game too? Thought it might be worth mentioning...

Just played my first multiplayer game. Finished with two other characters in just over 6 minutes. I barely contributed. Still, fun.

I decided I'm not the best at this game. Need to three star most of the first mansions missions, and am missing three gems that I have no idea where the are. Just done the first mission in the second mansion. Haven't died yet, although came close during the boss. Game is stunning.

Bladenic

Jesus this game is stunning. The graphics are blowing me away right now. Maybe it's the "first game and new system" effect but holy shit, it's so pretty. And that amazing theme song.

I dunno why it took over a decade to get a sequel, but I'm already glad it happened. Hope the series continues.

K' Dash

Guys you need to post you FC on the list, or else your FC will be lost between all the posts, I have every single one from the list added, I'm also checking it regularly.

I'm hosting a game in a few minutes, who's up?

Guys you need to post you FC on the list, or else your FC will be lost between all the posts, I have every single one from the list added, I'm also checking it regularly.

I'm hosting a game in a few minutes, who's up?
Sure. I think I just got disconnected from the other game o_O

Top Bottom