• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M. Night Shymalan's New Sci-Film (Written By GARY WHITTA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jokergrin

ohhthegore said:
he usually writes and directs his own films right and thats why they suck? I always though he was a good director and a shitty writer so maybe this will be good
How have people forgotten about Airbender already.

KJTB

Hey, gotta put food on the table somehow. I'm sure Gary's paycheck for this will be very impressive.

Gonna be tough though, when I saw Inception my whole theater started laughing when Shyamalan's name popped up in the devil trailer... At this point even if this movie was pretty damn good I can't see it doing all that well because of how people view Shyamalan's movies now. You know you've hit a pretty low point when people laugh at your name :lol

Make that money Gary!

10popxc.gif

Ok stop being negative nancies. Book of Eli had a great script. I don't doubt Whitta's scripting skills or Shamalama's directorial skills. Combined together, this can be something good.

Jak140

So a guy who directs unintentionally campy, self-important, overtly religous films with groan inducing twists is making a film with a guy who wrote an unintentionally campy, self-important, overtly religous film with a groan inducing twist?

Salsa

RustyNails said:
I don't doubt Whitta's scripting skills

Hey me neither..

RustyNails said:
or Shamalama's directorial skills.

eeerhh..

Also the Whitta hate is pretty shocking :lol im sure you guys were all over him when Eli was released. There was nothing but praise in that thread.

I personally think it was a pretty damn solid script. Im a film student myself, and i actually sent him a pm congratulating him for the movie (cause im a bitch), i mean hey, i wanna get there too someday.

Gary didnt answer back because he hates me for being from the OMGHANDBALLLLLLL
WC2010

pulga

Banned
Since you've sold your soul to the devil Gary, at least have Jaden browsing NeoGAF. Preferably trolling some PS9 fanboys.

"What?! 599 space dollars?! Sony be crrrrraaaazy"

StuBurns

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Also the Whitta hate is pretty shocking :lol im sure you guys were all over him when Eli was released. There was nothing but praise in that thread.

I personally think it was a pretty damn solid script. Im a film student myself, and i actually sent him a pm congratulating him for the movie (cause im a bitch), i mean hey, i wanna get there too someday.

Gary didnt answer back because he hates me for being from the OMGHANDBALLLLLLL
WC2010
Criticizing the man vs the film is very different. He seems like a cool guy, I've heard him on a couple of podcasts, the film however was gash.

Salsa

RustyNails said:
C'mon man. Watch 6th sense, signs and unbreakable. It looks like Sham's a gifted director.

Sixth sense is an overrated piece of shit. The whole movie relies on a twist
(wich had been done already)
, and that is pretty much the only reason the movie got all that attention. Its a gimmick, not a good movie. I also cant rely on a supposedly "scary" film wich relies on cheap scares. Watch that movie without sound and youll know what i mean.

Signs i didnt liked. I just didnt liked it.

Unbreakable was his best by far, and its pretty darn good movie.

yencid

SalsaShark said:
Sixth sense is an overrated piece of shit. The whole movie relies on a twist
(wich had been done already)
, and that is pretty much the only reason the movie got all that attention. Its a gimmick, not a good movie. I also cant rely on a supposedly "scary" film wich relies on cheap scares. Watch that movie without sound and youll know what i mean.

Signs i didnt liked. I just didnt liked it.

Unbreakable was his best by far, and its pretty darn good movie.
you watched a movie without sound?

Salsa

yencid said:
you watched a movie without sound?

Yup, in film school.

We basically tear movies to pieces, to study different sides of them.

The Sixth Sense works with the usual "im looking around this corner and when i least expect it (wich is actually when the audience expects it more, hurr) BAM!" cue loud noise.

SalsaShark said:
Yup, in film school.

We basically tear movies to pieces, to study different sides of them.

The Sixth Sense works with the usual "im looking around this corner and when i least expect it (wich is actually when the audience expects it more, hurr) BAM!" cue loud noise.
Well that kind of reduction makes any movie sound ridiculous. Sixth Sense was more than frights and classic scary moments. The freaky stuff was a part of it, but the relationship between Malcolm and Cole was the heart of the movie. It was wonderfully casted too. I respectfully disagree that Sixth Sense was all shock n jock and no meat. Same with Signs.

Salsa

RustyNails said:
Well that kind of reduction makes any movie sound ridiculous.

you'll be surprised!

Bruce and the kid were good in it, ill give you that. I just didnt really liked the movie as a whole. I gave specific reasons but of course it comes down to taste, im not saying its wrong to like it, i just didnt, personally.

The guy just tries too much to be Hitchcock, and fails miserably. Its pretty embarrasing the way he even tries.

edit: also, im not really a Shymalan hater, since he's the biggest troll ever with The Happening. There's no way in hell that movie is for real. I completely and honestly think that the movie was meant to be hilariously bad.

I wish I could get Shyamalan to direct a script of mine. The man does know how to shoot and put scenes together. Every one of his movies has very memorable scenes. To take some of his weaker films, the stabbing scene in The Village is excellent as is the walk to the barn. The old lady outside the house in The Happening was great as was the shape moving past the door/windows of the shed was also really well done.

The guy made 3 of my top 100 movies back to back. I can't not see his movies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I didn't like The Book of Eli, and while I think M. Night Shyamalan was a pretty good director for a while there (I might even say all the way through The Lady in the Water), it's not just his writing that's went to shit. The Happening was atrociously directed. It's hard to believe it's even from the same guy who did the earlier films. It was just incompetent at even basic film language. And what I've heard about The Last Airbender doesn't indicate a reversal. The Smith dynasty doesn't interest me either.

So.. yeah, I'll pass on keeping tabs on this one.

Flo_Evans

The hate is strong in this thread :lol

Fuck I would write stupid movies all day long for M. Night if I could and you would too don't lie...

Book of Zataochi was awesome, I don't see how you could hate on that movie unless you hate badasses and handicapped people.

Cheerilee

M Night to Gary after reading the first draft:
"What I have read would have hardly composed a moderately interesting episode somewhere in the middle of season five of TNG."

Jaden Smith to Gary:
"I'm kind of worried that you don't know how to write my character."

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Flo_Evans said:
The hate is strong in this thread :lol

Fuck I would write stupid movies all day long for M. Night if I could and you would too don't lie...

Book of Zataochi was awesome, I don't see how you could hate on that movie unless you hate badasses and handicapped people.
What if I hate cardboard characters, generic Hollywood action, silly story conventions and everything to do with the awful reveals?

I'm not going to say Gary Whitta's a bad person or that he shouldn't make a living, but that doesn't mean I have to like what he's produced.

Teddman

Great news, I have been waiting for a sequel to Titan A.E. forever.

And
the twist in Book of Eli was awesome.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Teddman said:
And
the twist in Book of Eli was awesome.
It didn't really do much for me, seeing that I know the Zatoichi films and stuff. So it was clear-cut from the start in my opinion, not really
a twist per se

Good script anyway though.

Lunchbox

Banned
SalsaShark said:
JJKW1.jpg

they just all smelled hollywood money

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
ohhthegore said:
he usually writes and directs his own films right and thats why they suck? I always though he was a good director and a shitty writer so maybe this will be good
THE LAST AIRBENDER. He didn't write it, it just fucked everything.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Warm Machine said:
I wish I could get Shyamalan to direct a script of mine. The man does know how to shoot and put scenes together. Every one of his movies has very memorable scenes. To take some of his weaker films, the stabbing scene in The Village is excellent as is the walk to the barn. The old lady outside the house in The Happening was great as was the shape moving past the door/windows of the shed was also really well done.

The guy made 3 of my top 100 movies back to back. I can't not see his movies.
AIRBENDER
AIRBENDER
AIRBENDER

Jesus Christ people, you are forgetting his latest work! Fuck The Village and fuck The Happening, The Last Airbender is the worst thing he has EVER done.

Lunchbox

Banned
xxracerxx said:
AIRBENDER
AIRBENDER
AIRBENDER

Jesus Christ people, you are forgetting his latest work! Fuck The Village and fuck The Happening, The Last Airbender is the worst thing he has EVER done.

no one watches cartoons

i dont even know what airbending is. Signs was genious. M night can prove everyone wrong

HiResDes

While I wouldn't call Signs genius, I definitely doubt MNS contributed his best effort to The Last Airbender. And the writing in that film was so terrible that I'm not sure Nolan could have turned it into a decent movie.

HiResDes said:
While I wouldn't call Signs genius, I definitely doubt MNS contributed his best effort to The Last Airbender. And the writing in that film was so terrible that I'm not sure Nolan could have turned it into a decent movie.

Nolan would have gotten his brother to co-write the script. They'd change everything yet make a badass movie at the same time.

btrick

this thread needs gary to respond.

and i heard The Devil wasn't that bad. (emphasis on i heard).

The Book of Eli wasn't that great.

Truant

I for one would love to see Shyamalan return to his former greatness. Unbreakable is one of my favorites. What happened to the dude?

Speevy

Banned
Do you really think he's going to come into this thread and respond to hundreds of posts bad-mouthing the person with whom he is collaborating?

I mean, no matter what he would say, it's bound to piss off someone working on or around this film.

I just re-watched The Sixth Sense the other day (haven't seen it since theaters). I figured knowing the twist, I wouldn't enjoy it. Fuck me, that movie still is amazing. Well-written, great directing, great acting....Oddly enough, I've never seen anything else he has done. From people's comments though, it seems like I need to see Signs and never see Airbender?

apana

I think he is also set to direct the Avatar sequel. He is a very busy man but maybe he should lay off too much of the creative apsect of films. Just get someone to send him a script that is very detailed and he should just focus on "making" the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom