• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M. Night Shymalan's New Sci-Film (Written By GARY WHITTA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Damn, Whitta is making a name for himself. Can't say I'm that excited about an M. Night movie but props to Gary on the career advancement.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Vincent Alexander said:
I just re-watched The Sixth Sense the other day (haven't seen it since theaters). I figured knowing the twist, I wouldn't enjoy it. Fuck me, that movie still is amazing. Well-written, great directing, great acting....Oddly enough, I've never seen anything else he has done. From people's comments though, it seems like I need to see Signs and never see Airbender?
Sixth Sense is a great film to watch, so is Unbreakable and Signs. I would say stay clear of The Village, The Happening, and The Last Airbender. You can watch Lady in the Water if you want, but that film has such a 50/50 chance of approval on everyone who watches it, it may not turn out well for you. (Note: My gf loved it, I hated how he wrote himself as a pivotal role in
the human races future
).

Spire said:
Damn, Whitta is making a name for himself. Can't say I'm that excited about an M. Night movie but props to Gary on the career advancement.
Totally 100% true.

Truant

Vincent Alexander said:
I just re-watched The Sixth Sense the other day (haven't seen it since theaters). I figured knowing the twist, I wouldn't enjoy it. Fuck me, that movie still is amazing. Well-written, great directing, great acting....Oddly enough, I've never seen anything else he has done. From people's comments though, it seems like I need to see Signs and never see Airbender?

See Unbreakable, and perhaps The Village with the notion in your mind that it's a romantic drama period piece and not the horror film it was marketed as.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dreams-Visions said:
M. Knight the real life version of Entourage's
billyl.jpg
?

You kidding me? I am Queens Boulevard.

-Eddman-

Well, maybe Gary is not responding because he is under a NDA or something. If this is true, congratulations. I did like Book of Eli, so looking forward to see more of your work.

mj1108

-Eddman- said:
Well, maybe Gary is not responding because he is under a NDA or something. If this is true, congratulations. I did like Book of Eli, so looking forward to see more of your work.

....or he was going to respond then he decided to read this thread. :lol

TheOddOne

-Eddman- said:
Its still being considered by parties, so nobody is gonna talk untill the deal is finalised.

Wiktor

demon said:
With a good script I don't think it's impossible for Shyamalan to make another worthwhile movie, despite the epic amounts of shit he's churned out in the past several years.
Isn't Devil actualy decent though? At least that's what I've heard.

Wiktor

Nappuccino said:
Even if true, M. Night didn't write it or direct it. He merely came up with the general story.
really? That would explain a lot :lol

That said, even his diseasters weren't all that bad from pure directing, they just had absymal scripts. If coupled with truly great screenplay I believe he can deliver something good again.
I mean..come on, this is the dude who did 6th sense and Unbreakable... there must be some talent still left in him:lol

TheOddOne

AdrianWerner said:
really? That would explain a lot :lol

That said, even his diseasters weren't all that bad from pure directing, they just had absymal scripts. If coupled with truly great screenplay I believe he can deliver something good again.
I mean..come on, this is the dude who did 6th sense and Unbreakable... there must be some talent still left in him:lol
Signs wasn't bad either :)

The amount of idiotic/out of touch comments in this thread is mind-boggling. So many people speaking on things they have no clue about. From film criticism to the way a film gets put together these days. Gary is definitely laughing at most of it, I'm sure.

Salazar

CartridgeBlower said:
The amount of idiotic/out of touch comments in this thread is mind-boggling. So many people speaking on things they have no clue about. From film criticism to the way a film gets put together these days. Gary is definitely laughing at most of it, I'm sure.

Out of touch remarks are more interesting than "LULZ NEARLY EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD IS DUMB AS A ROCK" posts.

megateto

So this is way Gary wanted to buy a new Air yesterday as they were unveiled: he's swimming in cash!!! :D

Congrats, Mr Whitta!!! Enhorabuena

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Instro said:
Im ok with this.
Will smiths kid can act. I'm ok with him being the luckiest little bastard on the planet and enjoyed karate kid.

AdrianWerner said:
I actualy loved it, but this one seems to be love/hate thing :)
I loved it as well. The only movies of his I haven't seen is Lady in the Water and The Happening, but I enjoyed the others. Unbreakable is still one of my favorite movies ever.

Edit I haven't seen Avatar either.

RJT

While, checking his IMDB page, I noticed Gary is also an actor: The Walking Dead (TV series) (filming): Pajama Zombie. :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
-Eddman- said:

He's probably sent his draft reply in for comments.

I think it'll be fine. M Night thingummy is a 'love to hate' character on here at the moment, but he's done some fine movies in the past. He just needs to get his mojo back. You know if there was good pre-release buzz for one of his movies you'd go and see it.

Vagabundo

xxracerxx said:
Sixth Sense is a great film to watch, so is Unbreakable and Signs. I would say stay clear of The Village, The Happening, and The Last Airbender. You can watch Lady in the Water if you want, but that film has such a 50/50 chance of approval on everyone who watches it, it may not turn out well for you. (Note: My gf loved it, I hated how he wrote himself as a pivotal role in
the human races future
).

Totally 100% true.

o_O

The Village is awesome.

The Happening is one of the worst films I have ever seen.

Shanadeus

Banned
I am not an irrational Smith hater so him being in the movie don't bother me the slighest.
What I'm interested is what sort of sci-fi we're dealing with, is it hard or soft sci-fi?
Is the sci-fi merely a setting with focus on the characters or is it an integral part of the plot?

Sotha Sil

Vagabundo said:
o_O

The Village is awesome.

The Happening is one of the worst films I have ever seen.

Ugh, The Village? Really? Who didn't see the twist coming? (Yeah, I know, a film's quality cannot be solely measured by the cleverness of its twist, but I still think the rest sucks.)

I wasn't bad, really, just... bland. I seriously cannot remember one thing about this movie. Correction: I wish I didn't remember one thing about this movie. Dancing retarted ax-crazy Joaquin Phoenix. Ye gawds.

gdt

I don't really go out of my way to watch B-movies or movies with a negative reputation (some might do that "just for fun") so I know I haven't probably seen the worst of the worst of the worst.

But The Happening was honestly the worst movie I've ever seen. Either that or Date Movie.

Probably The Happening.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I don't get hate for Shyamalan, he's a brilliant director, haters should gtfo.

Congrats to Whitta. The Book of Elia was one of very few movies that I remember afterwards.

Yea, I hope it goes well for Gary. GAF is hating but that's by default to anything the imperious Shyamalan delivers. We should support Gary regardless - where is the community love?

Sotha Sil

Interfectum said:
"Sorry Gary"??? :lol :lol :lol

He's writing a script for a major Hollywood director. I think he'll be okay.

His bank account will be ok. His reputation, and soul, are gone forever.

yacobod

Banned
i dont really get the hate, even with all the crap he's done recently i rather have M. Night's directorial film catalog than the fucking Hughes Brothers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom