• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

The draw distances are fantastic and the skyboxes...

Yeah, Avalanche's engines are amazing when it comes to those two things. The awesome performance (at least on PC) is like the cherry on top. I can only imagine how gorgeous Just Cause 3 is going to be! This game is kind of like an appetizer until JC3 arrives. But a damned good appetizer at that. ;-)

I appreciate how long the 24h cycle is. Really lets you bask in the 4 major times of day (dawn/day/dusk/night) longer than most open world action titles. Huge improvement from Just Cause 2 which leaned too heavily on noon lighting with nighttime getting only like 1/3 of the day/night cycle, if that. They nailed the atmosphere. That eerie stillness when you come out of a settlement or climb up from underground, with the wind swirling the sand around and a few cars in the distance revving their engines is so good. Or that constant abrupt shift from high to low intensity and back every time you go into and out of combat. Or that otherworldly feel when the moon is out and the terrain takes on a lunar look, peppered with car headlights or flames you can see for miles.

8HoMlv.jpg

IYA669.jpg

WiKYLF.jpg

z4a8Nw.jpg

Impulsor

Anybody got this game on greenmangaming? Did you guys get the ripper preorder bonus? I only got sent the Game Code, no dlc or preorder code whatsoever.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
anyone using nvidia inspector aa etc and can help with settings :D

N° 2048

No doubt. Even the sound of the wind is unreal. Especially when you take shelter and can hear it beating and and whipping around the construct you are in. The immersion is outstanding.

Small details like the sand coming in from under the seams of the shelters or the heat waves from the Opus' engine.nice stuff.

Sephzilla

yeah, i'm not sure what critics are seeing as so bad here. few hours in and the game is pretty damn awesome so far. i'm not a fan of how much max talks, but watching fury road again just before playing the game probably contributed to that

Skulldead

Same try it 2 hour this morning... this is very freaking good right now. The fighting better became a little more challenging with new type of enemies.... Other then that i really like it.

Experien

Played about 12 hours and only explored about 1/4 of the map. It is so easy to get distracted!

Took down my first stronghold but they are telling me where the next story mission is. There are no green story mission marks on the map. Do I just need to defeat the first 4 strongholds to progress the story?

Roussow

So I like many people am deep in MGSV right now -- but in a week or two I might pick this up, the general consensus is seems quite positive, is it more a case of "surprised it's decent at all" or "genuinely quite great"?

Ledhead

So I like many people am deep in MGSV right now -- but in a week or two I might pick this up, the general consensus is seems quite positive, is it more a case of "surprised it's decent at all" or "genuinely quite great"?

I got both on release day through Amazon's E3 pre-order deal. Played MGSV for 12 hours or so, but reading this thread got me in the mood to load up Mad Max. I'm 4 hours in, and I don't think I'm going back to MGSV (amazing game and all) for at least a few more days

SpaceHorror

Man, as much as I'm enjoying MGS V I can't stop thinking about wanting to play this.

May try to pick it up this weekend.

hbkdx12

The "crunch" that you get when you strike people sounds weird.

It makes the combat feel hard hitting and weighty but something about the sound just seems weird, like there could be a more appropriate sound effect.

Enjoying it more than Arkham Knight and Shadows of Mordor combined-

edit:the game is quite different from them-but I see people making comparisons-

Okay, I feel like an idiot, but how the hell do you take out the Sniper on that early first mission where you need to infiltrate the base?

Gbraga

Surprised at the positive reactions I've been reading. I can't stand Ubisoft games, I don't really like Just Cause, is there any chance I'll enjoy this?

To me that's fucking high praise man. They're two very well made games.

shadows of mordor made you a god within a few hours- batman had boring batmobile combat (to me)

Mad Max has stellar character progression/car customization -the game hasnt stopped throwing new abillities/gear at me- the combat is similar to batman-but less ice-skatey (you need to be near foes to chain moves together), its gory which also adds to the combat (for me at least)

then theres the car combat- easily the shining star on the package- building the Magnum opus (however you want mind you) is awesome-sure its arcadey at times- but the handling and feeback from the vehicles is great. literally gives the AK bat-tank the finger in terms of entertainment

edit:
Okay, I feel like an idiot, but how the hell do you take out the Sniper on that early first mission where you need to infiltrate the base?
do you have the harpoon? shoot and pull brother- :)

Experien

Surprised at the positive reactions I've been reading. I can't stand Ubisoft games, I don't really like Just Cause, is there any chance I'll enjoy this?

WB game made by the people who made Just Cause 2.

The game felt like a mix of a bunch of games like Borderlands, Shadows of Mordor, (fighting of) Arkham Asylum, and more and it doesn't come across as a bad thing.

Simo

Probably not? Which Ubisoft games don't you like? Do you like the Mad Max IP?

I mean Avalanche hasn't pushed or reinvented the open world genre but rather used everything that has come before to make the ultimate Mad Max experience and so far they've succeeded. At least for a big fan like myself.

ironcreed

Banned
shadows of mordor made you a god within a few hours- batman had boring batmobile combat (to me)

Mad Max has stellar character progression/car customization -the game hasnt stopped throwing new abillities/gear at me- the combat is similar to batman-but less ice-skatey (you need to be near foes to chain moves together), its gory which also adds to the combat (for me at least)

then theres the car combat- easily the shining star on the package- building the Magnum opus (however you want mind you) is awesome-sure its arcadey at times- but the handling and feeback from the vehicles is great. literally gives the AK bat-tank the finger in terms of entertainment
)

That is how I feel and I have said I think it is a better game at the core than Arkham Knight myself. It has a similar combat system, but it is more satisfyingly brutal and the car mechanics make the Batmobile stuff laughable. The visuals and effects are better as well, but sure, Batman has stuff like better voice acting and a more flashy presentation. I just prefer a game that is more fun to play.

I have the harpoon but no spears for it. Do I have to go somewhere to get them?

you have one attached to a rope- just get close-make sure its selected wth the dpad- hold lb-and press B or circle- you have to be relatively close iirc (2 or 3 car lengths aways for initial harpoon)

Roussow

So, I haven't played a lot of games with car combat, is it comparable to Rage? I'm struggling to think of examples.

Gbraga

this isn't an ubisoft game

do you like mad max?

WB game made by the people who made Just Cause 2.

The game felt like a mix of a bunch of games like Borderlands, Shadows of Mordor, (fighting of) Arkham Asylum, and more and it doesn't come across as a bad thing.

Probably not? Which Ubisoft games don't you like? Do you like the Mad Max IP?

I mean Avalanche hasn't pushed or reinvented the open world genre but rather used everything that has come before to make the ultimate Mad Max experience and so far they've succeeded. At least for a big fan like myself.

I'm aware it's not an Ubisoft title, it's just that Warner open world feels like Ubisoft open world but with Batman combat. I really dislike that formula, but I really do enjoy Mad Max. If the game manages to capture that sort of feeling and have action sequences that can rival some of the stuff we see in the movies, then that makes me very excited.

That is how I feel and I have said I think it is a better game at the core than Arkham Knight myself. It has a similar combat system, but it is more satisfyingly brutal and the car mechanics make the Batmobile stuff laughable. The visuals and effects are better as well, but sure, Batman has stuff like better voice acting and a more flashy presentation. I just prefer a game that is more fun to play.

This is very good to read, the open world Batman titles are already more interesting than most open world games to me exactly because the moment to moment gameplay is fun, even if I dislike the overall structure, just punching dudes is fun, so if this is even better in that aspect, I think I can enjoy it.

Simo

Those War Criers...lol...when they're the last sods left hanging up there they just totally bum out!
"Ugh..I'm the only one left...by myself...with a crazed road warrior drenched in the blood of my brethren....*sigh*"

And now I'm bummed out because it's time for work and no Mad Max for 9 hours. :(

ironcreed

Banned
So, I haven't played a lot of games with car combat, is it comparable to Rage? I'm struggling to think of examples.

God no, Rage wishes it was this game. Think maybe Road Rash type stuff, but of course it is mostly inspired by the car battles in the movies. Mainly ramming, sideswiping, shooting the harpoon to tear off tires, rip off doors, yank the driver out of the vehicle and shooting your shotgun out the window to ends like this:

Screenshot-Original.png

d00d3n

Be different. Play max. I have them both and put more time into max. Not saying anything bad about MGS. I was just suprised with Max.

It would actually be nice to settle with the underdog. The games that Max steals from are also some of my favourite games.

Mad Max is a TV experience, right? (own it on PC, so I can play it on a gsync display or my plasma)

Top Bottom