• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

Denzar

Well, I had to bite. Only € 17 on Kinguin!

It's a nice change of pace from the deep, "convoluted" games I've been playing lately (Witcher 3 and MGS V). This one is balls to the wall action, instant gratification. Needed that!

It would actually be nice to settle with the underdog. The games that Max steals from are also some of my favourite games.

Mad Max is a TV experience, right? (own it on PC, so I can play it on a gsync display or my plasma)

Im playing on pc with a controller like I do most games that aren't fps. I have a comfy chair that isn't a desk chair pulled up to my setup. Laid back and played max most of yesterday.

I also have an hdmi cable run to my TV but I have only played on my asus monitors so far.

On MGS I got my horse and that was about all I played of it.

I still have $22 in credit from the Vita settlement, and I'm really thinking about picking this up. Positive impressions and the fact that I loved Fury Road helps. I might have to decide between this and TTK, though!

Roussow

God no, Rage wishes it was this game. Think maybe Road Rash type stuff, but of course it is mostly inspired by the car battles in the movies. Mainly ramming, sideswiping, shooting the harpoon to tear off tires, rip off doors, yank the driver out of the vehicle and shooting your shotgun out the window to ends like this:

Screenshot-Original.png

Yeah, alright, I'm sold.
But goddamn, MGSV is a long game, I'll get to Mad Max at some point -- maybe instead of watching the new movie for a dozenth time I'll play this instead.

Watched a lot of footage for this today and I think it looks pretty cool. No time for another new game right now, but I'll definitely keep this one on the back-burner for a rainy day when I've got nothing to play.

Ledhead

Guys, stop making me want to buy this. I already have to play through MGSV and that is a LONG game.

I'm putting MGSV aside for a few days. That game is truly amazing, but there is a lot of content there, an almost overwhelming amount of stuff to do. Mad Max was straight to the action and it hasn't let up. I have a long weekend coming up, so I will have time for both, but I think i'll stick with Mad Max this work week

Definity

I'm pretty far into the game and have most upgrades on my car except some of the V8 engine ones but your car becomes a war machine once you start maxing it out.

Lego Boss

This is amaze, played the demo of Forza 6 (is that the racing sim I've been waiting for or what?) and then this drops onto my doormat.

Get it installed and it's a real blast, I haven't played the Batman games, but the combat is really satisfying and driving the vehicles around that wasteland is wonderful. They've really captured the atmosphere of the films.

I want to play more, but my daughters have just finished school and this is for adults only . . . .

eshwaaz

I really hope this sells despite some tepid reviews and an unfortunate release date. The game is a blast, and you can tell a lot of care went into it. Avalanche deserves to be rewarded here.

ChanMan

Its funny I started up MGS V after work and got through the prologue started to get a little sleepy and switched back Mad Max and the game woke me the heck up! I enjoy it a lot as it has a lot of interesting mechanics.

bitoriginal

I'm buying this even though I'm deep in MGSV, I need it! I want to support Avalanche even though the release date was suicide.

nded

Anyone know where the Project Part in Jugular Canyon is? I can't find it and it's driving me insane.

d00d3n

I am really enjoying the game, but ... the jump mechanic? Jumping seems really pointless (as it is in real life traversal? a nice lesson to be learned?) in the game. Trying to jump up ledges rarely gets you on top of stuff, which is done by pressing an entirely different button (A) in selected spots to climb. I don't understand why they wasted a dedicated gamepad button on such a useless game mechanic.

dealer-

I am really enjoying the game, but ... the jump mechanic? Jumping seems really pointless (as it is in real life traversal? a nice lesson to be learned?) in the game. Trying to jump up ledges rarely gets you on top of stuff, which is done by pressing an entirely different button (A) in selected spots to climb. I don't understand why they wasted a dedicated gamepad button on such a useless game mechanic.

I agree, its stupid that it's an all action game but you can't even amble up a one foot high ledge if there is not a dedicated stepping stone or ladder.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
After playing through 15 hours yesterday and while these are mainly just nitpicks, im really hoping that Avalanche Studios releases a patch for the following -

- An on/off option for all the HUD/UI on screen stuff
- An on/off option for the button prompts when enemies attack
- An option to switch from holding to just pressing the button to get into the car, climb ladders, etc.
- Increase the amount of fuel that is used while just driving
- Controller sensitivity options for both the left and right analog with separate options for Max and the Car since both are controlled by the left analog stick
- Increase the amount of health loss/damage taken during storms especially on foot
- Increase the amount of health loss when getting side hit by a car
- Getting hit head on by a car while on foot or run over while on the ground should result in instant death
- Eliminate regenerating health for enemy cars (mainly convoys) unless Max dies
- Add in a stamina bar when running. If your stamina runs out, the only way to fill it would be via water and food...same as health basically...should also apply when in fury mode
- Make the jump double what it is so Max can jump higher

Those are the things that a patch should easily be able to fix/adjust. With all of that said though, unless the game sucks at the end or some major game breaking shit happens, it's easily a 9/10 for me thus far. Mad Max is an absolute blast to play. Fun scale is easily a perfect 10/10.

Aside from the minor nitpicking which is more of a personal preference for the majority of the nitpicks, game is excellent thus far. Love the exploration, hidden areas and plat-forming that must be done in certain areas or you fall to your death. Seriously, the only game this generation that I have any interest in replaying is The Witcher III and that's mainly because of the two expansion packs. Mad Max currently is the only other game this generation that I already can see myself playing again.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
NOTE: TURN OFF TUTORIALS IN THE OPTIONS MENU AS DOING THIS LESSENS THE ON SCREEN CLUTTER AND MAKES THE GAME EVEN BETTER. :)

I'm disappointed they didn't share some tech with the JC3 team to be able to have Max move around and combat on moving vehicles.

How perfect would it be to hop out onto the back of an armed tanker truck as chumbucket takes the wheel of your car and provides support, as you work your way up to the cab fighting goons along the way before finally working your way to the front and hijacking the vehicle.

Skulldead

After playing through 15 hours yesterday and while these are mainly just nitpicks, im really hoping that Avalanche Studios releases a patch for the following -

- An on/off option for all the HUD/UI on screen stuff
- An on/off option for the button prompts when enemies attack
- An option to switch from holding to just pressing the button to get into the car, climb ladders, etc.
- Increase the amount of fuel that is used while just driving
- Controller sensitivity options for both the left and right analog with separate options for Max and the Car since both are controlled by the left analog stick
- Increase the amount of health loss/damage taken during storms especially on foot
- Increase the amount of health loss when getting side hit by a car
- Getting hit head on by a car while on foot or run over while on the ground should result in instant death
- Eliminate regenerating health for enemy cars (mainly convoys) unless Max dies
- Add in a stamina bar when running. If your stamina runs out, the only way to fill it would be via water and food...same as health basically...should also apply when in fury mode
- Make the jump double what it is so Max can jump higher

Those are the things that a patch should easily be able to fix/adjust. With all of that said though, unless the game sucks at the end or some major game breaking shit happens, it's easily a 9/10 for me thus far. Mad Max is an absolute blast to play. Fun scale is easily a perfect 10/10.

Aside from the minor nitpicking which is more of a personal preference for the majority of the nitpicks, game is excellent thus far. Love the exploration, hidden areas and plat-forming that must be done in certain areas or you fall to your death. Seriously, the only game this generation that I have any interest in replaying is The Witcher III and that's mainly because of the two expansion packs. Mad Max currently is the only other game this generation that I already can see myself playing again.

this would solve a lot of problem of the game with these small change !!

dealer-

What are the side quests like?

Are there any interesting ones or is it all go the generic stuff you find in most open world games?

Pretty generic really. There are a few optional missions that supplement the story and taking down camps are great fun but most involve collecting scrap and parts. The most boring involves using a buggy and your dog to detect and disable mines. I haven't even bothered with those.

Pretty generic really. There are a few optional missions that supplement the story and taking down camps are great fun but most involve collecting scrap and parts. The most boring involves using a buggy and your dog to detect and disable mines. I haven't even bothered with those.

Thanks.

Not a huge problem. I guess I'll just focus on the main story. Ordered my copy from Gameseek, hope it gets here soon.

DrBo42

Picked it up on PS4 for a break from the stress of MGSV. Seems like clunky fun. Max doesn't control well and the initial car handling is the strangest I've ever experienced in a game but the world looks great. Not expecting a whole lot.

Carm

Did anyone else preorder this from Amazon and they emailed you a ripper code but it is also in the game box? Typing the number into PSN seems to be the same item, canceled out before fully accepting though, so if is the same thing, saved it.

I wish there was a demo for this on PC. I want to see if my PC can run it comfortably or not (I can play PC games in low resolution as long as the framerate is good and the graphics are not THAT bad) before deciding to buy or not.

lebowski4ever

Neo Member
the car needs a handbrake button. the time it takes to turn around your car when you've been hit from behind takes too long. beautiful looking game tho. crackin combat too.

d00d3n

The car bodies?...I'm pretty sure those are just for the visuals...the upgrades are what makes the difference

Yeah, I just picked the one I thought looked best in the end. Now it seems like the rest of the car bodies are unlockables after progressing the story.

I am actually stuck with a difficult choice once more. The drug guy offers upgrades. What does the ability Judgement do?

the car needs a handbrake button. the time it takes to turn around your car when you've been hit from behind takes too long. beautiful looking game tho. crackin combat too.

You can switch to an alternate control scheme in the options that adds a handbrake button, it makes R1 the fire button both in car and on foot and then circle becomes roll on foot and handbrake while driving.

eshwaaz

Switch the alternate control option - it adds a handbrake. Unfortunately, it also remaps a few other things, so it will likely throw you until you readjust.

in addition to the alternate control scheme...

Q: How do you use the handbrake?
A: A 1% to 99% pull down on the Left Trigger/L2 is a normal brake. Pulling down Left Trigger/L2 100% engages the handbrake. So, in order to use the handbrake, pull down Left Trigger/L2 all the way.

MaxiLive

Is anyone else struggling in this game? :p

I'm taking on one of the oil camps that says it is two skills difficulty and I've beaten most of it. But getting to the oil pumps there is like 10 guys on me and once and I'm struggling to beat them >.<

Anyone else having trouble or am I just being a total scrub at the game?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Anyone else on PC have it where you can't sprint anymore? because I can't. Button still works when driving with a gamepad, but I hold down RT and nothing happens when I run.

Top Bottom