• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

dealer-

Is anyone else struggling in this game? :p

I'm taking on one of the oil camps that says it is two skills difficulty and I've beaten most of it. But getting to the oil pumps there is like 10 guys on me and once and I'm struggling to beat them >.<

Anyone else having trouble or am I just being a total scrub at the game?

Yeah it can be difficult, there are recovery frames if you go for a big punch so you can't just use quick reactions like in Batman to counter. It's best to throw smaller punches and always be ready to parry then build up the Fury meter. There are a bunch of skills in the Max upgrade menu that can make it easier too.

Is anyone else struggling in this game? :p

I'm taking on one of the oil camps that says it is two skills difficulty and I've beaten most of it. But getting to the oil pumps there is like 10 guys on me and once and I'm struggling to beat them >.<

Anyone else having trouble or am I just being a total scrub at the game?

Focus on the stronger variants first and see if that helps you! Dodging is actually really useful for getting some breathing room when surrounded. Are you killing the War Crier guy beforehand?

Caode

Anyone from the UK pick this up in-store at GAME? Just wondering what price they're charging in store for this since the useless bastards never seem to respond when you're asking them for a price.

ckohler

I've had the same story mission for hours because I enjoy doing all of the side activities in an area first, collecting the scrap and upgrading my stuff. :D

MaxiLive

Focus on the stronger variants first and see if that helps you! Dodging is actually really useful for getting some breathing room when surrounded. Are you killing the War Crier guy beforehand?

Thanks guys,

Yeah I'm killing him first and then I can take out 4-5 more guys before taking too much damage as I miss a fair few counters or get it by someone else while countering/in another animation.

I'm guessing just taking it slower may do they trick I was just surprised how tricky it was already! With the sever lack of resources as well such as Health and ammo it doesn't give me many options :p

I'm sure once you level up you'll get more health and drinking water but for now everything is very few and far between by design. For my noobishness though it is a bit tough!

Starfield

7jtrw9kc.jpg

M.W.

Picked it up on PS4 for a break from the stress of MGSV. Seems like clunky fun. Max doesn't control well and the initial car handling is the strangest I've ever experienced in a game but the world looks great. Not expecting a whole lot.

Lol

The game is stellar, you should expect a lot.

This game is excellent fun. It has rough edges to be sure - but it's basically Red Dead with cars.

Anyone else on PC have it where you can't sprint anymore? because I can't. Button still works when driving with a gamepad, but I hold down RT and nothing happens when I run.

I thought I had this problem, but it turned out Max was wading through some sludge.

DrBo42

Combat system seems pretty unclear in terms of when you can counter. Is it just heavy strikes that lock you out of a counter? I could swear even when doing normal strikes sometimes I just can't counter.

Tigress

Combat system seems pretty unclear in terms of when you can counter. Is it just heavy strikes that lock you out of a counter? I could swear even when doing normal strikes sometimes I just can't counter.

I think you can only counter when it tells you you can (gives you the triangle prompt). Least that's what I can tell. And if you don't do it right away you can't (like the prompt will still be up but if you don't do it right when it shows you fail it).

Oh, and on a different note, convoys are fucking fun as hell to go after. Too bad it seems like they are a limited thing.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
A few other things that should be added via patch -

- When getting into an enemy car and driving it back to your stronghold, the name of the car should pop up and tell me if I already collected it or not.
- If possible, rain storms should be added in because.....
-.....when scavenging and coming across the water bowls, it's connected to a funnel and cloth above it so when it rains, the water would go down the cloth, through the funnel and into the bowl. Areas with water shouldn't replenish/re-spawn on it's own. However, because there's no rain storms in the game, this sadly isn't possible
- Intel notifications pop up when getting ready to enter a camp, etc. I have done three of these and it said "no intel gathered" but I have no idea what this means, which leads me to ask the following questing...

What exactly does "no intel gathered" mean when entering a camp, etc. and what do I have to do in order to accomplish that? Thanks.

DrBo42

I think you can only counter when it tells you you can (gives you the triangle prompt). Least that's what I can tell. And if you don't do it right away you can't (like the prompt will still be up but if you don't do it right when it shows you fail it).
Yeah I dunno. Something about just doesn't feel good or responsive.

Recharg3

Anyone from the UK pick this up in-store at GAME? Just wondering what price they're charging in store for this since the useless bastards never seem to respond when you're asking them for a price.

it's 49.99 or 54.99 for the ripper steelbook edition.

You can check online prices on the website by viewing the title then checking instore stock it then shows you the instore price

Anybody that preordered from Green Man Gaming get their preorder bonus? I think it was a car called The Ripper.

It finally came up for me about 10 minutes ago when I started Steam. Just need to install it.

EDIT: Okay the Ripper is lame, thought the pre-order bonus was supposed to have an actual perk over the regular bodies but doesn't look like it.

EDIT2: Okay, maybe the Ripper addition unlocks the best spike option maybe I guess? Or I unlocked a requirement for them before unlocking level three or something.

Downloading now on PS4. Wouldn't have bought this if it weren't for the overwhelmingly favorable impressions in this thread. Why are reviewers always so wrong (i.e. Destiny)?

napalmjam

I am enjoying this more than mgsv for wasteland it has more variation and content than Afghanistan in phantom pain both games are amazing why the same week =(

mcz117chief

Guys, how difficult is this game? I get tired of open world games extremely quickly if they are so simple that dying requires you to be completely brain dead or sleeping or sometimes both (Assassin's Creed, Batman: Arkham City, etc.). Can you actually die even if you try to survive? Is melee combat failable?

DrBo42

Guys, how difficult is this game? I get tired of open world games extremely quickly if they are so simple that dying requires you to be completely brain dead or sleeping or sometimes both (Assassin's Creed, Batman: Arkham City, etc.). Can you actually die even if you try to survive? Is melee combat failable?

It's been kicking my ass. But I think most of the reason is just due to how clunky it controls and Max's tank movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1E-UwgNXpU

This fight would have been easy as pie in an Arkham game but here I actually struggled a bit. I'm only 2 hours in though so maybe there's a whole toolset of abilities for combat I don't have. Counters seem to take the enemies out of the fight for an extremely short amount of time, that's something to get used to as well.

mcz117chief

It's been kicking my ass. But I think most of the reason is just due to how clunky it controls and Max's tank movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1E-UwgNXpU

This fight would have been easy as pie in an Arkham game but here I actually struggled a bit. I'm only 2 hours in though so maybe there's a whole toolset of abilities for combat I don't have. Counters seem to take the enemies out of the fight for an extremely short amount of time, that's something to get used to as well.

"nothing personal." BOOM! :D That was a good one. The combat does seem pretty simple, just press triangle when it appears. I guess I was expecting too much when I was hoping for Ninja Gaiden difficulty.

Vitor711

So am I not supposed to take on convoys within the first 10 hours? Because fighting them is a pain. The harpoon can't do anything agains the armoured cars, I have 4 shotgun shells and no other weapons.

The ram does nothing and the spikes I added to the wheels to do side damage are also useless.

dealer-

So am I not supposed to take on convoys within the first 10 hours? Because fighting them is a pain. The harpoon can't do anything agains the armoured cars, I have 4 shotgun shells and no other weapons.

The ram does nothing and the spikes I added to the wheels to do side damage are also useless.

Yeah, I didnt really bother until I got the Thunderpoon, which is a ranged explosive weapon. Convoys get much easier then.

All I did to take out the side cars was rip their doors off, then the drivers, no need to waste ammo. After that it was thrusting into the lead car a couple times. Pretty simple!

yeah...in "Controller" options you view the control layout then you can choose the alternate scheme

for the default control scheme...

Q: How do you use the handbrake?

A: A 1% to 99% pull down on the Left Trigger/L2 is a normal brake. Pulling down Left Trigger/L2 100% engages the handbrake. So, in order to use the handbrake, pull down Left Trigger/L2 all the way.

Barrylad

Neo Member
I played 90 minutes or so. It's fun.

-Even just the basic tutorial car combat I've done was SUPER gratifying. I can't wait until everything amps up in that regard.

-The combat is taking some getting used to because it's so similar to Batman combat but at a slightly different pace. So my timing is still tuned to Arkham Knight, and I was getting my ass kicked early on. It's brutal and less fantastical than those games. You know that crazy flip Batman would do to take out a guy on the other side of the room? That's gone. Early on at least, you basically have Max's standard arm length and then some -- and that's it. No flying across the room to keep your combo going.

-The dialog feels suitably Mad Max-y. I can already tell the story isn't going to blow me away but if you want the general feel of the universe, this is pretty good. The subtle music and sound design foibles contribute to a solid tone for the license.

-The intro is badass.

-Chumbucket is charming in his own way - if a little Gollum-esque. I hope he doesn't outstay his welcome.

-Game is totally gorgeous and runs at a fairly solid 30 on PS4.

-The Photo Mode is perhaps the least restrictive I've seen to date. I found Infamous' to be good but a tad limited, Last of Us was better (and the most photogenic game imo), and Shadow of Mordor was in the same ballpark. This one lets you go sooooooooo far from the player character, and really snap whatever you want.

I probably wont touch this again until the weekend, as post-work sessions will be dedicated to MGS, but I'll DEFINITELY be sticking with it. Lots of upgrades locked and other nooks and crannies I havent touched yet. I really just did the tutorial and first mission.

I think it's a damn shame this game released when it did. If it came out in the... wasteland (titters) of content that was earlier this year, it would have been a damn fine purchase. It still is -- but I don't know if many will be willing to drop an additional 75 euro game, when a more acclaimed one just came out, and it's in the 100 hour ballpark.

ckohler

Having "Fire/Throw" default to the Circle/B button is a baffling choice. I tried to adapt to it but ultimately switched to the alternate scheme were it swaps it with R1/Right Bumper.

I was wasting too many shotgun shells by accident. :p

Two notes :

Being able to pause and fly the camera throughout the environment to check things out is great.

Letting me know I have grabbed all the loot in an area is a worthy screen prompt.

ckohler

Two notes :

Being able to pause and fly the camera throughout the environment to check thing out is great.

Letting me know I have grabbed all the loot in an area is a worthy screen prompt.

Be careful though. The game will tell you when you've found all the scrap in a location but other things like bullets or project boxes aren't counted.

Man I love this game, I bought Metal Gear but am not really in the mood to commit myself to a game atm.

This game is perfect to just turn your brain off, give zero fucks about the story, just cruise around in your car and beat up some demented people.

harz-marz

Is there a way to remap the controls on PC? I find having to use LB rather than LT to aim, then B to shoot is hard to get used to.

So how's the Xbox One version? Multiconsole owner myself but I already have like 2 dozen games on my PS4 vs 7 or 8 on my XB1. If it's the same resolution/effects/performance across the board, I'll just get it for my Xbox.

So are you supposed to be able to open loot boxes during a lightning storm?

Because uhhhhhh, I just had my first one and it didn't go well. I did manage to kill 3 enemies during the storm though. But then I got dead.

Dead

well not really...yet
Game is pretty great.

Find it funny what a stark contrast this is to Arkham Knight, especially both being from the same publisher. The former being a complete shit, this one actually succeeding at an open world car based combat and gameplay. I can't wait to get in my car in this game as opposed to Batman which just made me turn the game off any time the bat mobile was required to do stuff.

Downloading now on PS4. Wouldn't have bought this if it weren't for the overwhelmingly favorable impressions in this thread. Why are reviewers always so wrong (i.e. Destiny)?

Well to be fair, I dont think many people here have dumped 40 hours into the game yet.

I could see this game getting old if you had to rush through it for a review. I played about 4 hours and I can see where the "wash, repeat" missions are and the open world collect-a-thon items.

The moment to moment gameplay is great to me, but I could see how it would get old in extended play sessions.

I suppose if you go into this game not expecting anything revolutionary pushing the genre forward then you probably have the right mindset to enjoy this. It doesnt reinvent the wheel but its still a lot of fun.

So are you supposed to be able to open loot boxes during a lightning storm?

Because uhhhhhh, I just had my first one and it didn't go well. I did manage to kill 3 enemies during the storm though. But then I got dead.

Just try and avoid getting killed, I made that mistake too but next time I found some partial shelter and waited it out. When it was over the boxes were showing up on the mini-map.

This game is reviewing right in line with Dying Light. A low 70's Meta Average, and Dying Light was one of the most fun I have had in years. It was awesome!

I am not necessarily interested in this game, but if you are interested, dont let reviews sway you if it looks and sounds fun to you (which you obviously didn't).

Top Bottom