• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

When a storm's approaching what I do is try and find a bit of cover and then wait there until the storm hits. Then, once crate icons start appearing on the map, I head out to catch them with the harpoon and drag them back to my shelter before cracking them open. Usually manage to get two or three without dying.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
25% done, really enjoying it. Even though some tasks are basic and repetitive, the moment-to-moment stuff is really fun.

There's a vantage point near Jeet's place on top of a small mountain with a ship next to it. It looks like you're supposed to go through a cargo door on the ship, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to open it. Explosives and a highly upgraded harpoon are doing nothing. Anyone know? At this point, I don't think the vantage point will even serve a purpose for me.

Drive to minefield. Dog will start barking. Pay attention to the direction of his barking. If he is hanging over to the left side, it means the mine is to the left, if he is standing straight over the rear bar, the mine is straight ahead, over the right its to the right and facing out the back of the tray, its behind you.

You just want to drive cautiously in the direction he's barking at. Eventually he'll get really pissed off and wound up, meaning you are near the mine. By that point, it should be visible. Jump out and walk up to mine and hold action button to disarm.
Thanks, that made sense.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I love going after and collecting all the mother loot during the storms. What I usually do once I find a crate full of mother loot (which is always 100+ of scrap) is get out, break the crate and collect it but I do so with the camera facing into the storm so I can see all the pieces of metal and other junk flying at me and using the roll, I can avoid getting hit a good amount of times. Through a few storms, I haven't died once yet and have managed to get between three and nine crates of mother loot in each storm. Also, it looks to awesome and insane to hide and I rather be in it driving around collecting my hundreds of scrap. :)

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
20477371213_ed70629278_o.png

bebop242

This game is reviewing right in line with Dying Light. A low 70's Meta Average, and Dying Light was one of the most fun I have had in years. It was awesome!

I am not necessarily interested in this game, but if you are interested, dont let reviews sway you if it looks and sounds fun to you (which you obviously didn't).

Yep, this game (so far) and dying light are my GOTYs atm.

DrBo42

I feel like the harpoon in its implementation should not be in this game. Would have much preferred actual heavy choice in the car combat about which targets to hit, should I use this incredibly scarce ammo etc. Harpoon cheapens that potential choice by a large margin being able to completely disable vehicles by ripping the driver out. Should be far more risk/reward in the car combat.

Resources in general are kinda fucked in this game. Fuel, water, food and ammo should be much bigger deals. Scavenging and surviving should feel more essential but instead it's limited to "I need X scrap for this sick upgrade." Dunno, think there's a ton of squandered potential here.

I think Ive come across a strange glitch with the game on PS4.

So I played the game last night no problems, and then my disk drive started not recognizing disks (I believe this is a glitch with the firmware) so I rebuilt the databases and turned the console off.

Now Im trying to play Mad Max again but it says "installation is not complete 48%" so I let it sit for a bit and tried again and gave me the same message with the same percentage. I closed the game and booted it up again and now its saying 28% with the same message. I let it sit for about 15min and it hasnt changed from 28 percent.

Anybody else experiencing this? I may need to delete all the game info and try again I suppose.

EDIT: Well this is totally fucked. So I deleted all the game data, reinstalled it all and downloaded the patch. I can create a new game just fine but everytime I try to load up my original save it says "wait for game installation "x" percentage".

Wow.....fuck you WB, just fuck you.

EDIT 2: So I was able to load up my save game. After I did all the above I started a new game and quit out, then when to "load game" and selected my original game save. It gave me the message that it was loading and gave me a percentage, but this time the percentage actually moved. It took about 30 minutes but once it was done I was able to load up the save.

Definity

Hit road warrior rank and have most everything unlocked now. I'm pretty much a rolling war machine in vehicle and on foot. Max looks like he belongs in gears of war with how much gear he is carrying now. Also, I love the way chum changes appearance when you fully upgrade his repair speed. Master mechanic!

Think I'm going to push on through and finish the story. Up to 45 hours now played and around 55% complete.

The_Ur_Quan

BioWare Dev
Just wanted to pop by and say that the game is seriously fantastic. It's all around gorgeous, fun and endearing. Frankly, I can't wait to get back home and sink my teeth into it a lot more. It is nowhere near the metacritic score it got. Some reviews are doing a major disservice to it and Avalanche's awesome hard work. If you love George Miller's dystopian setting or you were on the fence with this game -- go get it!

Caode

it's 49.99 or 54.99 for the ripper steelbook edition.

You can check online prices on the website by viewing the title then checking instore stock it then shows you the instore price

Cheers for the response! That's fairly steep, might pick it up still though... will fill the open world void once I finished MGSV (if I ever finish it)

It'slike Dying Light in the sense that gamers love the game FAR more than the reviewers. This game will definitely be getting good word of mouth.

Nintendad

I'm on the mission A Wasteland classic. I need to buy a part in the garage for the mission and yet it says I can't buy it until I'm on the mission I'm on and now I'm stuck. Anyone know what's up with that? Playing on Xbox One.

Dead

well not really...yet
I'm on the mission A Wasteland classic. I need to buy a part in the garage for the mission and yet it says I can't buy it until I'm on the mission I'm on and now I'm stuck. Anyone know what's up with that? Playing on Xbox One.
You need to continue the mission...just follow the current objective

Dead

well not really...yet
angry centaur gaming has great reviews. also, karak is a gaffer, so that's cool
That review makes a great point that the majority of open world games miss out on

Everything you do in this game ties into the setting, the worldbuilding, story, etc. It never really feels too much like you are checking off a to-do list, because this is the stuff that you SHOULD be doing considering your current situation.

As opposed to other open world games where every other piece of side content is an illogically out of place thing for the character to be doing considering their story/setting/etc

Simo

Has anyone be able to get the PS4 exclusive hood ornaments? I got the digital version.

Yes but I'm physical. You don't just get instant access to them though, you'll still need to find them around the Wasteland.

I've got 2 so far and they look ace!

drotahorror

Almost done downloading. I hope I enjoy it. Not the biggest open world fan but I liked Dying Light (dislike zombie games) and was surprised by it and loved Witcher 3. I played a few hours of Batman AK, wasn't really feeling it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

You need to buy all the other parts on that car from it's garage menu, then the mission will unlock.

Yes but I'm physical. You don't just get instant access to them though, you'll still need to find them around the Wasteland.
!

Thank! So they don't show up in the garage until you unlock them?

Also, how do you refill this thing? Going up to the generator with fuel tank from all sides does nothing. No button indication.

5edJsDXl.jpg

HwHZHQzl.jpg

Kitbash

Also, how do you refill this thing? Going up to the generator with fuel tank from all sides does nothing. No button indication.
The Refuel button only shows up when you're standing next to the balloon, on the side that has the yellow paint on it.

Emergent tragedies. Stopped the Opus to share some water with some wasteland refugees - and just as the cutscene ended a couple bad guys arrived and ran them all over. :(

It'slike Dying Light in the sense that gamers love the game FAR more than the reviewers. This game will definitely be getting good word of mouth.

I felt the same way. Both games aee full of stuff that is probably extremely annoying to keep doing over a long, single session, but much less so spaced across multiple, 1-2 hour sessions.

Dead

well not really...yet
Emergent tragedies. Stopped the Opus to share some water with some wasteland refugees - and just as the cutscene ended a couple bad guys arrived and ran them all over. :( .

Wow, I've been running over and killing all those people thinking they were carrying water. Figured I never found any cause I killed em wrong?

Turns out youre supposed to give em water? lol...oh well

KAP151

Thank! So they don't show up in the garage until you unlock them?

5edJsDXl.jpg

HwHZHQzl.jpg

Ha. This is exactly what I did. You dont actually fill up the generator, you need to fill the tank on the side of the balloon itself.

Haha, was navigating a lightning storm and dragging a muthaloot crate when two random cars roll up and want to fight. Car caught fire, I exit and eventually die in flames. So good

Wow, I've been running over and killing all those people thinking they were carrying water. Figured I never found any cause I killed em wrong?

Turns out youre supposed to give em water? lol...oh well
No mercy in the wasteland

HereticJ

Emergent tragedies. Stopped the Opus to share some water with some wasteland refugees - and just as the cutscene ended a couple bad guys arrived and ran them all over. :(

Same thing happened to me!

After avenging them, I found another group of three crawling in the sand begging for water. Only the one in the middle had the drip icon but as I pulled up, I misjudged my brakes and accidentally hit one of the thirsty sand crawlers, ending his life. Immediately the drip icon disappeared from the still-surviving, middle water beggar. Undeterred, I attempted giving the now icon-free guy some water, by pushing up on the d-pad.

Just before he and his helpless friend died, they watched me crush the body of their partner and drink water seemingly mocking their thirst.

But they died so I moved on.

TentPole

There's a vantage point near Jeet's place on top of a small mountain with a ship next to it. It looks like you're supposed to go through a cargo door on the ship, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to open it. Explosives and a highly upgraded harpoon are doing nothing. Anyone know? At this point, I don't think the vantage point will even serve a purpose for me.

Just figured this out. You have to walk behind the ship and squeeze between a crack.

Karak

What a great review. Don't usually watch 16 minute reviews in one go.

Thanks appreciate that. Its not my normal sized review, I usually hit around 8-10 but longer games or games where I feel that some things might be missed if I don't go into comparison detail can go a bit longer.

angry centaur gaming has great reviews. also, karak is a gaffer, so that's cool

Hey man thanks again!

That review makes a great point that the majority of open world games miss out on

Everything you do in this game ties into the setting, the worldbuilding, story, etc. It never really feels too much like you are checking off a to-do list, because this is the stuff that you SHOULD be doing considering your current situation.

As opposed to other open world games where every other piece of side content is an illogically out of place thing for the character to be doing considering their story/setting/etc
Righto. I am sort of oddly confused as to how this was missed by people who play games.

IN AC for example, as I said in the podcast today, an icon for a tower becomes...just the icon. Soon your ICON hunting across the map and it happens to many people its just normal when things lack interactivity or story building premise. But MM gets around this by making each place subtly different. Its nice to be able to tell a story about this or that air ballon and having to shoot its moorings away, or another one where it was being overwatched by a sniper and i was shot out of it, or a dozen other stories. Other games flatly miss that kind of thing.

I do want to add that while meeting with Syndicate developers at PAX with hands on I was surprised that they were also pointing towards adjusting this. It was a weakness a few of them know they have.

ironcreed

Banned
I was playing some MGSV and actually got bored after a few missions back to back in Afghanistan and had to go back to this. That is a game that I think I am only going to be able to play in short spurts, while this is a raging storm of beautiful and brutal fun that I simply want to keep playing.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How do you find mine fields? I have 1 last minefield in Blackmaws, but it isn't showing on the map. Do I have to spot it from a balloon?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Also, I don't understand the archangel cars. So I built the first one... How is this different from my main car? It seems slower- do archangels not get the same upgrades like engines and tires that you put on your main car?

Impressions are sounding great, it seems like an excellent adaptation of the source material.

It's a shame that the reviews were steeped in open world backlash.

Also, I don't understand the archangel cars. So I built the first one... How is this different from my main car? It seems slower- do archangels not get the same upgrades like engines and tires that you put on your main car?

I believe the Archangels have to be built using specific upgrades and parts so some could be better than others...your Magnum Opus can be built however you like

RedBeardedGhost

Neo Member
You guys did it to me. Just picked it up from GMG. Downloading now. I'll be switching back and forth between this and MGS. Seems like the perfect game to take a break from the tense stealth action of MGS with.

This is one of my favorite games this year; I'm sad to see it being received so poorly by the gaming press, but review scores aren't something I personally care about anymore. I'm more concerned that people will avoid this game because of the scores.

Top Bottom