• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

DrBo42

Yeah, maybe the developers struggled with balance too. I said to my mate that it was a shame that petrol, food and water are pretty pointless after a while and he said he wasn't bothered as he just wanted to tear shit up and not worry about fuel etc.

There's just so much potential for a game in this world that doesn't have to be limited to an arcade romp. When you end up making those stores for fuel/ammo/food/water at strongholds they should become raid targets for "enemy groups" or even those that aren't the cartoonish bad guys like the war boyz but people just looking to survive. I'm like 3 hours in so who knows, maybe that stuff actually happens but I feel like it's absolutely not coming and that like you said resources will become a joke.

dealer-

There's just so much potential for a game in this world that doesn't have to be limited to an arcade romp. When you end up making those stores for fuel/ammo/food/water at strongholds they should become raid targets for "enemy groups" or even those that aren't the cartoonish bad guys like the war boyz but people just looking to survive. I'm like 3 hours in so who knows, maybe that stuff actually happens but I feel like it's absolutely not coming and that like you said resources will become a joke.

That would've been some "next gen" gameplay right there. Implementing the nemesis system here would've been pretty awesome, it seems more suited to it than Mordor with War Lords etc. It would've given the enemies more personality and motivation too rather than just being combat fodder. Maybe in Mad Max 2!

Lego Boss

I'd concur with that. It starts off slow, but builds once you start getting some gear. I also really like the environmental design.

Agreed. It really opens up and the world feels alive for a place with so little life in it. I'm really enjoying it so far.

It somehow FEELS like a big Hollywood film, that burns slow then catches light and makes you realise that if only all products were made with such care, then we wouldn't be questioning the state of the industry.

It's a real rush. Well done Avalanche.

DrBo42

That would've been some "next gen" gameplay right there. Implementing the nemesis system here would've been pretty awesome, it seems more suited to it than Mordor with War Lords etc. It would've given the enemies more personality and motivation too rather than just being combat fodder. Maybe in Mad Max 2!

I'd be okay with that.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I really like how different some of the environments are while staying within the same general theme. That and some of the camp and combat escalations make the mission repetition less of an issue than in similar games.

For some reason my camps seem to have stopped giving scrap however, which sucks. The mods I have on the table are pretty expensive, so that was crucial.

Just figured this out. You have to walk behind the ship and squeeze between a crack.
Thanks, I feel stupid.

Saw a storm off in the distance and was like 'oh I got plenty of time' so I pull out my rifle to shoot a sniper and get ready to invade the fort when all the sudden

FWOOOOOOOM. Shit escalated real quick. Definitely a memorable moment for me.

Storms are a moment you do not forget.

Ever.

Agreed. It really opens up and the world feels alive for a place with so little life in it. I'm really enjoying it so far.

It somehow FEELS like a big Hollywood film, that burns slow then catches light and makes you realise that if only all products were made with such care, then we wouldn't be questioning the state of the industry.

It's a real rush. Well done Avalanche.

And yet the game sits at a 71 on Metacritc. When was the last time there was such a disparity between review averages and general impressions? Or are we just in the honeymoon phase and 4 weeks from now everyone will say the game is shit and the reviews were right?

dealer-

And yet the game sits at a 71 on Metacritc. When was the last time there was such a disparity between review averages and general impressions? Or are we just in the honeymoon phase and 4 weeks from now everyone will say the game is shit and the reviews were right?

Tin foil hat time but I think 71 is about right, maybe 75. I'm near the end of the game now and there are things that could've been done to take it to the next level. They nailed the look and feel of the Mad Max world though and it's great fun.

Karak

There is always a disparity, but its lack of cohesive scoring in the past couple months across similar titles on same platforms that blows me away. It honestly feels like people are showing up getting a game and then rambling about it and calling it a review now. I mean we have groups doing 3-4 minute reviews for an open world game...come the F on? Skipping or not talking about entire swaths of gameplay. Then having to release 1-3 videos afterwards to explain all the stuff they should have explained clearly in the review. It leaves many gamers wondering how a score is even attained anymore.

It was nice, or incredibly worrying, to discuss this with developers at PAX and find out many felt the same way.

bede-x

This is starting to get pretty boring. It runs impressively well on PC, but it's just Mordor/Assassin's Creed/Watch_Dogs in another skin, with every task repeating itself endlessly. Something that's made even worse by the ridiculous amount of random encounters, making what is already a boring grind even more bothersome, because the game just won't leave you alone (and it takes forever to lower threat in an area).

5/10 IMO.

Besaide

Hmmm...I think reviewers are getting tired of open world games unless they do something spectacular. As a player who does not have such fatigue and gets to chose what game and when to play it I'm having a really good time with Mad Max. I'd currently rate it an 80 and it's just getting to the part where everything is opening up so who knows what it will be when all is said and done.

There is always a disparity, but its lack of cohesive scoring in the past couple months across similar titles on same platforms that blows me away. It honestly feels like people are showing up getting a game and then rambling about it and calling it a review now. I mean we have groups doing 3-4 minute reviews for an open world game...come the F on? Skipping or not talking about entire swaths of gameplay. Then having to release 1-3 videos afterwards to explain all the stuff they should have explained clearly in the review. It leaves many gamers wondering how a score is even attained anymore.

It was nice, or incredibly worrying, to discuss this with developers at PAX and find out many felt the same way.

I think games like this suffer in how game reviews are done for larger outlets. They basically have to marathon games in a short amount of time so they get the review out on day 1.

Ive only put about 7-8 hours or so into this game so far and I could see how playing it for long stretches could make it feel "grindy" which turns into reviewer fatigue and low/middling scores.

Karak

I think games like this suffer in how game reviews are done for larger outlets. They basically have to marathon games in a short amount of time so they get the review out on day 1.

Ive only put about 7-8 hours or so into this game so far and I could see how playing it for long stretches could make it feel "grindy" which turns into reviewer fatigue and low/middling scores.
Deleted. We aren't talking about the same thing.

Better than Dying Light?

By that I mean more fun and thats it.

I'd say as fun.

They are doing completely different things obviously, but I've had a good time with it.

and it looks fantastic. It's an oddly beautiful game. The skyboxes and when the sun sets. Pheeewwboy, so good.

About to impulse buy this right now.

Yay or nay?

I say Yay.

You can see all the elements of a by the books open world game but you are constantly progressing and the minute to minute gameplay feels satisfying enough to keep the player (at least me) invested for the long haul.

Raptor

Why one or the other? Ugh.

Different games. One car based, one parkour based. Among many many differences.

Both tons of fun.

Because the only way to buy this is if I trade the other :( so is one or another cant have both.

I'd say as fun.

They are doing completely different things obviously, but I've had a good time with it.

and it looks fantastic. It's an oddly beautiful game. The skyboxes and when the sun sets. Pheeewwboy, so good.

This sounds nice, maybe I should put more hours on DL and then maybe in a week if I can hold on buy this one.

Thanks.

Personally, I am glad they didn't add any survivalist sim elements to the game. I prefer the arcadey tilt to the game balance myself. Mad Max was a cheesy movie series to a degree after all.

Pudge

A Mad Max 2 with the Nemesis stuff in there would make for a really special thing. I've just beat the game, the middle is where it really gets dire and needs something substantial for the player to do, this could have solved that problem easily.

SJRB

Gold Member
Hmmm. I guess I'll save it for another day.

Thanks for the input.

Just my 2 cents, but I think the buy/don't buy advice completely hinges on your tolerance for fetch / loot quests and checkmarking lists. Scouring the Wastelands looking for scrap is a HUGE part of the game, as is "bringing down enemy presence" by destroying towers and taking over outposts.

Karak

Personall, I am glad they didn't add any survivalist sim elements to the game. I prefer the arcadey tilt to the game balance myself. Mad Max was a cheesy movie series to a degree after all.

You and a boatload of other gamers. I was surprised to see that the number 1 thing commented on was just how happy people were the game hadn't gone the typical Starve in 3 minutes route but instead had various things you SOMEWHAT had to keep an eye on. SO Much more immersion than that fake crap. As arcadey as it might be the typical systems currently used in games is broken beyond belief right now.

Both are Warner Bros games chasing the Ubisoft formula.

it took same Arkham Asylum combat model and applied it to LoTR set pieces- basically the hand to hand is similar to both games (hit Triangle/or Y to parry, etc)

-although I will be so bold as to say I prefer this kind of combat in Mad Max- you have to be close to chain moves together (no ice skating super flips to enemies far away) and its gory= winner in my eyes

however: better exploration/ character progression and car customization is here- along with some awesome vehicle combat-

Ahhh ok thanks, that makes sense.

FUCKIN-A

98234-rock-clapping-gif-Imgur-rPS2.gif

Man, this game kicks some serious ass.

It's like a bizarre blend of Batman's hand-to-hand combat, RAGE's vehicular combat, Far Cry's scouting, tagging, and camp clearing, Tomb Raider's tools and resourcefulness, Just Cause's massive scale and over-the-top craziness, and Red Faction: Guerrilla's rebel-uprising metagame (and emphasis on collecting scrap metal).

MAX PAYMENT

Man, this game kicks some serious ass.

It's like a bizarre blend of Batman's hand-to-hand combat, RAGE's vehicular combat, Far Cry's scouting, tagging, and camp clearing, Tomb Raider's tools and resourcefulness, Just Cause's massive scale and over-the-top craziness, and Red Faction: Guerrilla's rebel-uprising metagame (and emphasis on collecting scrap metal).

Now I wish I would've picked it up.

Simo

Just had a War Boy call me the "Raggedy Man". This game....

Also is it just me or does the menu music in the Max tab remind anyone else of Jeremy Soule's music for Skyrim? lol

How do you get the Playstation exclusive hood ornaments?

They don't seem to be showing up anywhere.

They're littered around the Wasteland. First one can be found
in Jeet's Stronghold on the second level. It's the Gyro Captain. The second you find is Bearclaw and at one of the outposts/strongholds the game sends you to but can't remember which now lol

Two quick questions: The PC version is the way to go because of the 60fps? I guess the deal on GMG with the 40%-off-code is currently the cheapest way to get it?

Top Bottom