• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

Yeah, I have a high tolerance for repetitiveness and grinding so I'm not hating it so much. Also helps that I don't think I've played a "Ubisoft style" game since last November or whenever it was I played Shadows of Mordor. I also already knew what Mad Max would be and my expectations already set and so far they've been met.

Every base you capture will add around 20 scrap to your collection per base every 30 minutes or so. And you will find larger caches in other areas, as you progress.

The best way is to steal a Scrap van - those cash in 500 a pop if you drive them to a stronghold.

EDIT: Anyone know if there's a handbrake at all in this game? Because the inability to do tight turns is sort of killing the car combat for me.
So I guess shouldn't be destroying them then.

Hand brake apparently triggers when you press the brake all the way down on the default controls or is B/O with the alternate controls.

I played more today, and progressed to the beginning of Act 3. I'm still not loving it, but it is kind of addicting despite that. It's an alright game.

It just doesn't feel cohesive so far, and there's too much to do/a lack of focus that hurts the game.

When I took down the
Jaw
, a storm hit, which drove me nuts, because it made things super frustrating. It also seemed to slow the frame rate down. The storms are cool-looking and neat, but they're a pain in the ass and make the game more frustrating.

I notice frame rate drops when there's lots of vehicles, like in the next mission.

The sound volume seems all over the place, too. The storm was super loud, so much so that it scared me at first, but some of the dialogue is low and the gameplay is normal.

Starfield

I played more today, and progressed to the beginning of Act 3. I'm still not loving it, but it is kind of addicting despite that. It's an alright game.

It just doesn't feel cohesive so far, and there's too much to do/a lack of focus that hurts the game.

When I took down the
Jaw
, a storm hit, which drove me nuts, because it made things super frustrating. It also seemed to slow the frame rate down. The storms are cool-looking and neat, but they're a pain in the ass and make the game more frustrating.

I notice frame rate drops when there's lots of vehicles, like in the next mission.

The sound volume seems all over the place, too. The storm was super loud, so much so that it scared me at first, but some of the dialogue is low and the gameplay is normal.

Well thats what storms supposed to be. :p

heringer

I've seem comparisons with Shadow of Mordor, but this game reminds me a bit of Black Flag. Both have similar flaws but also similar qualities that make up for the shortcomings.

I've seem comparisons with Shadow of Mordor, but this game reminds me a bit of Black Flag. Both have similar flaws but also similar qualities that make up for the shortcomings.

It does feel a bit like Shadow of Mordor, but they're rather different games. SoM is superior - at least in comparison to the 6-7 hours of Mad Max I've played.

It does feel a bit like Shadow of Mordor, but they're rather different games. SoM is superior - at least in comparison to the 6-7 hours of Mad Max I've played.

Hi Chewie

One thing that's struck me as interesting is how I had the same complaints with Far Cry 4 / SoM that lots of people have with Mad Max. It's like the cycle of open world fatigue rotating around the community.

Hi Chewie

One thing that's struck me as interesting is how I had the same complaints with Far Cry 4 / SoM that lots of people have with Mad Max. It's like the cycle of open world fatigue rotating around the community.

That's interesting

Those games felt more cohesive to me, so I enjoyed them more. Far Cry 4 was fantastic, and Mordor was really solid.

I wanted to love this, though.

I do like open world games a lot, as I just recently replayed Saints Row IV to almost 100% and the same with Sleeping Dogs: DE.

This game is way better than Shadow of Mordor IMO. More dynamic, better atmosphere, better visuals, better environments, and more character. It doesn't have that one standout feature like Mordor has in the Nemesis System, but that's all Mordor has.

Dead

well not really...yet
This game is way better than Shadow of Mordor IMO. More dynamic, better atmosphere, better visuals, better environments, and more character. It doesn't have that one standout feature like Mordor has in the Nemesis System, but that's all Mordor has.
Agreed. That game definitely outstayed its welcome.

This is exactly how i feel about Mordor. I played it for around 5-6 hours and realized it just wasn't for me. I can't stop playing Max, feels much different to me.

I type this as I'm waiting in a shipping container for a storm to pass.

The best part about the strongholds is being able to fast travel and instantly replenish your water. I just unlocked the water tank in the second stronghold, and will likely use it a lot.

I've also been trying to level Max and the vehicle up as much as possible, and my hours spent finding scrap, plus the many vehicles I've destroyed, have helped. I've completed 33 challenges in the first two acts, too, so I've been able to use a lot of upgrade coins.

But the
Jaw
attack was pretty intense, even with all of those upgrades. I've been putting a lot of time into the game and taking my time with it, not rushing anything, but I worry I haven't upgraded enough. Maybe it's just a fluke though, what with the storm hitting at that exact time (I assume they're random?)

And, to expand upon what I wrote before, I just wish they'd streamlined things better. I look at the map and it's overwhelming. There's shit to do everywhere, and I don't want to spend 100 hours on just one open world game.

And, to expand upon what I wrote before, I just wish they'd streamlined things better. I look at the map and it's overwhelming. There's shit to do everywhere, and I don't want to spend 100 hours on just one open world game.

You think the map is overwhelming but yet you loved Far Cry 4?

SNIKT!

Two quick questions: The PC version is the way to go because of the 60fps? I guess the deal on GMG with the 40%-off-code is currently the cheapest way to get it?

I just bought it from www.cdkeys.com for $19.49 but, for some reason I couldn't add it to my cart from my PC browser. Had to use my phone. Steam version. I'm downloading it now.

This. This. And This. Seriously, most major review sites last year marked out for Mordor yet Max is the game I wish it would have been. But Max is just average. Whatever.

I just had an idea for an upgrade that I wish was in the game:

Scrap Net (or Scrap Magnet):
Gives Chumbucket a long pole with a net (or magnet) on the end that he uses to scoop up nearby scrap metal without you ever having to leave the Magnum Opus.

Maybe there's already something like that, but I find it pretty annoying that you have to leave your vehicle every time you want to collect even small amounts of scrap metal.

I also wish there was a way to break down empty vehicles into scrap metal, etc. without having to constantly ram into them or shoot them.

Mad Max would of benefited from the nemesis system, would love to see warlords organically taking some spots or joining you but im only starting just now so maybe it does

I just had an idea for an upgrade that I wish was in the game:

Scrap Net (or Scrap Magnet):
Gives Chumbucket a long pole with a net (or magnet) on the end that he uses to scoop up nearby scrap metal without you ever having to leave the Magnum Opus.

Maybe there's already something like that, but I find it pretty annoying that you have to leave your vehicle every time you want to collect even small amounts of scrap metal.

I also wish there was a way to break down empty vehicles into scrap metal, etc. without having to constantly ram into them or shoot them.
There is already something like that. Once you built the Clean-Up Crew project in the stronghold, the scraps left behind by enemy vehicles will be collected automatically, but only in the area where the stronghold is located.

But yeah I get what you are saying, getting in and out of your car just for one piece of scrap does get a bit annoying. Your solution with the magnetic pole would involve an animation though, perhaps it will take just as long to collect the scraps? Can't really think of another solution to that. Just running over the scrap to collect it would look too Mario-karty. Perhaps just say Chumbucket made a device that magnetizes the car body when a button is pressed, and that pulls in nearby scrap metal?

You think the map is overwhelming but yet you loved Far Cry 4?

Yeah. That game felt more cohesive.

I don't dislike Mad Max, either. I'm not trying to harp on the game or say anyone here is wrong for loving it. I'm just disappointed that I'm not enjoying it as much as I wanted/hoped to.

There is already something like that. Once you built the Clean-Up Crew project in the stronghold, the scraps left behind by enemy vehicles will be collected automatically, but only in the area where the stronghold is located.

But yeah I get what you are saying, getting in and out of your car just for one piece of scrap does get a bit annoying. Your solution with the magnetic pole would involve an animation though, perhaps it will take just as long to collect the scraps? Can't really think of another solution to that. Just running over the scrap to collect it would look too Mario-karty. Perhaps just say Chumbucket made a device that magnetizes the car body when a button is pressed, and that pulls in nearby scrap metal?

Yeah, making the animation work would probably be a royal PITA for the developers. I like your other version with the magnetized Magnum Opus, though!

I also had no idea about the Clean-Up Crew project. That should help quite a bit!

veXOLrm.jpg

dmcFWL4.jpg

6j3ahda.jpg

The camo on the upgraded jacket plus the binoculars and beard reminded me of Metal Gear Solid.

Edit:

Two quick questions: The PC version is the way to go because of the 60fps? I guess the deal on GMG with the 40%-off-code is currently the cheapest way to get it?

The PC port is fantastic and the best version of the game; Avalanche should be commended, this is how a port should be done.

The current cheapest deal is $18.99 through SlickDeals. PC gaming is out of control, $18.99 at release.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
For people overwhelmed by the map icons-

The scavenge sites can be ignored, unless you need some quick scrap. I think they are so numerous for this purpose...

Some of them have parts for outpost upgrades, and these can be highlighted on the map by going to the non completed upgrade in the outpost and pressing the "show on map" button. They will stay on your map until you pick this option from another outpost upgrade.

The scavenge sites can be ignored, unless you need some quick scrap. I think they are so numerous for this purpose...

Some of them have parts for outpost upgrades, and these can be highlighted on the map by going to the non completed upgrade in the outpost and pressing the "show on map" button. They will stay on your map until you pick this option from another outpost upgrade.

Thanks for the tips!

The driving, the art design, the combat, the sound design, Chumbucket! it's all fantastic. I'm glad I bought this game on an impulse buy, the 40% off from GMG certainly helped. A couple glitches though, I seem to be permanently stuck with the quest headline "Find wire for Chum's buggy" even though I'm about 2 hours in, and the subtitles and the tutorials never appeared even though they were both applied before the game started. I had to look through keymapping to see what the fuck I was doing haha.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Any benefit to maxing a stronghold?

I only have the 1500 scrap turn in left, but i m wondering if I'll see any meaningful return
You'll complete a challenge and get a Grilla point for it.

I'm not positive, but I feel like each major level of upgrading the stronghold makes their rewards renew faster.

Can't believe people didn't want Chumbucket tagging along during the pre-release videos. He's so goofy, and the way he slides around the car and Max hasn't stopped entertaining me even after 20 hours. I really like his rapport with Max when you leave the Magnum Opus and shout blunt orders at him only to get a long winded or scared response back.

Man this game. I've spent all of this time in it and only NOW got to Jeet's. Now I need to remember where all of those special cars are to bring them here for money money money.

Can't believe people didn't want Chumbucket tagging along during the pre-release videos. He's so goofy, and the way he slides around the car and Max hasn't stopped entertaining me even after 20 hours. I really like his rapport with Max when you leave the Magnum Opus and shout blunt orders at him only to get a long winded or scared response back.
I didn't know about Chumbucket being a permanent sidekick in the game, but I am liking him more and more.

At one point I felt quite sympathetic toward him as well, Max was talking about how the "hunchback" can help to make something to deal with so and so, and I thought "Damn, Max! We've been adventuring with Chumbucket for at least 20 hours, that's like WEEKS in the game, at least have the decency to call him by name! Why you gotta be such an asshole?".

I am only just crossing over to Gutgash's territory right now, sure hope Chumbucket does not betray Max (or die) at some point during the game......

How many acts are there anyways?

I actually discovered that tonight, and used it to my advantage in order to build the water holder.

Thanks for the tip.

I tend to be anal about how I play this game and others like it, and try to do as much scavenging and leveling up as possible early on. There's also the reward for scavenging everything, but that's going to take way too long.

Indeed. Chumbucket is my new favorite religious mechanic(blackfinger).

I like Chumbucket. He's a really solid and interesting sidekick. However, Claptrap always makes me laugh.

How many acts are there anyways?

I tend to be anal about how I play this game and others like it, and try to do as much scavenging and leveling up as possible early on. There's also the reward for scavenging everything, but that's going to take way too long.
5 acts according to the trophy list.

I do the same thing too, it's a bad habit and it has hurt other open world games for me in the past. I get too burnt out by mid-late game and nothing surprises me anymore because I feel like I have already seen or done everything.

I would advise new players to stick with the story missions first. I'm 20 hours in and only just saw the tutorials about how scraps/threat level/enemy camps work, when I have already upgraded a bunch of stuff and liberated most camps in the first 1/3rd section of the map.

5 acts according to the trophy list.

I do the same thing too, it's a bad habit and it has hurt other open world games for me in the past. I get too burnt out by mid-late game and nothing surprises me anymore because I feel like I have already seen or done everything.

I would advise new players to stick with the story missions first. I'm 20 hours in and only just saw the tutorials about how scraps/threat level/enemy camps work, when I have already upgraded a bunch of stuff and liberated most camps in the first 1/3rd section of the map.

This was a VERY big issue in Shadows of Mordor. The new enemy types and mechanics that are key to the game are locked behind story. So many people would start the game and then spend hours not doing story missions. They write "i'm bored all of these enemies are easy" and it's like DUDE go play the story mission you'll at least start unlocking more enemy types.

Impulsor

This game got me compeltely hooked. I completely stopped playing MGSV, completely.

These type of games just have something that grabs me. Shadow of Mordor, Arkham Knight, Dragon Age Inquisition.

Check list open world games are my thing I suppose.

On the plus side, I'm finding the atmosphere to be awesome, the world to be super engaging and I'm loving the Chumbucket - Mad Max dynamic.

dreamfall

I'm about 10 hours in now, and I've thoroughly enjoyed a ton of what I played. The PC port is god damn amazing, I've really been impressed with the presentation. The Storms look, sound and feel completely dangerous.

I think the problem is I've started to realize that I don't think I'll ever finish it. I'm way too obsessive about collecting every little bit of scrap, 100%-ing every little bit on the map, and trying to upgrade Max. There are a ton of upgrades I want to unlock but are definitely paced behind Story progress, which really encourages you to move along.

I think the objectives can feel very repetitive but the open world is large enough and dynamic enough that it can still feel very fresh. It's a checklist open world, through and through, but the fact that each stronghold feels unique really adds a lot to the exploration of the game.

I like that there are so many upgrades to unlock also. There's a sense of constant progression, constant exploration, and a ton of adventure. I think the barren wasteland feels very much in cannon with the franchise, but it can feel like absolutely empty. I love the use of the balloons to scout out different pieces of the map, it makes them feel absolutely necessary. I think the car combat is a ton of fun, but I hate the feeling of having nothing to fire outside of the shotgun/harpoon thus far.

I haven't even unwrapped the plastic on MGS V. This game has captivated me in a ton of ways, but sometimes I think it's because it feels like mindless fun. Kind of like Shadows of Mordor for me, I definitely will sink a ton of time into it but I don't feel really connected to the story missions in any regard. I needed that long beard, and I love unlocking new skills/car upgrades/looks. That in essence is why I keep playing it. Avalanche have done a hell of a job creating this game. I feel a bit conflicted on the mission objectives, but cruising around and clearing the map feels great (if tedious at times).

Impulsor

I haven't even unwrapped the plastic on MGS V. This game has captivated me in a ton of ways, but sometimes I think it's because it feels like mindless fun. Kind of like Shadows of Mordor for me, I definitely will sink a ton of time into it but I don't feel really connected to the story missions in any regard. I needed that long beard, and I love unlocking new skills/car upgrades/looks. That in essence is why I keep playing it. Avalanche have done a hell of a job creating this game. I feel a bit conflicted on the mission objectives, but cruising around and clearing the map feels great (if tedious at times).

I didn't give a crap about SoM's story. I just LOVE these type of games, it's like you say, mindless fun, and the carrot at the end of the stick that keeps me going, all those awesome upgrades you keep unlocking and that awesome feeling you get when you get all of them and just look at your character and in this case car completely upgraded, looking badass.

I do feel tedium sometimes while completing certain objectives in these games. All of them feel repetitive to me to some degree, SoM felt really repetitive but I didn't care, I just had a blast. This is already feeling repetitive to me, but I can't stop. I NEED to get that next upgrade for my car, that next warpaint, that next carrot.

Assassin's Creed feels the same to me, did not give a crap about the story since 4, 3 I did not even care about the Assassin story, just Desmond's.

Checklist open world games, they are my drug.

Bl@de

Well, I jumped in. Found a deal for 15€ on PC which made it hard to resist. On top of that it seems to be a great port and bug free game (well done Avalanche!).
Didn't play much yet, only set up everything (so nice to see it run on 60fps on max details and only using 1.6GB RAM. My old GTX770 sure is happy^^).

Looking forward to it since I skipped all "batman combat" open-world titles this year (Batman, Mordor,...) and I liked RAGE with the combination of wasteland+cars. Will post impressions later or in a couple of days.

Is there any estimate how long the game takes if you go for 100%?

nded

Huh, could the girl in Max's hallucinations in Fury Road be
Glory? I know the general storyline involving her and Hope also appears in the comics although the circumstances are different. Makes more sense than Sprog being retconned as older and a girl.

Edit: Oh hey, it's confirmed right on the IMDB page.

M.W.

Well, I jumped in. Found a deal for 15€ on PC which made it hard to resist. On top of that it seems to be a great port and bug free game (well done Avalanche!).
Didn't play much yet, only set up everything (so nice to see it run on 60fps on max details and only using 1.6GB RAM. My old GTX770 sure is happy^^).

Looking forward to it since I skipped all "batman combat" open-world titles this year (Batman, Mordor,...) and I liked RAGE with the combination of wasteland+cars. Will post impressions later or in a couple of days.

Is there any estimate how long the game takes if you go for 100%?

100 hours ish

goldenpp72

So i'm thinking of picking up this game but haven't seen any real consensus on which version to get. Is there any technical issues with the game on Xbox or Ps4? I have both, I prefer to play on Xbox but will always pick the PS4 one if there is a performance or other boost by being on it.

autoduelist

My name is Max. My world is fire and blood...and harpoons...and dog food.

Harpoon is seriously the worst thing to happen to this game. Car combat should all be about ramming and guns and boarding.

I agree that I don't think harpoons were a smart add (or, at least, i feel like they should have been introduced -late- in the game...

But... man I love this game.

Impulsor

So i'm thinking of picking up this game but haven't seen any real consensus on which version to get. Is there any technical issues with the game on Xbox or Ps4? I have both, I prefer to play on Xbox but will always pick the PS4 one if there is a performance or other boost by being on it.

I have the PC and PS4 versions, runs spectacular on PC and on PS4 I just only notice the reduced framerate sometimes, which by the way is stable 99% of the time.

I've read here that the Xbox One version is awesome too, but there isn't a face off at digital foundry or anything so we can't really know.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm playing this game while doing long stints with MGSV, and I'm really enjoying myself with this game. I'm not sure where these negative reviews are coming from. I'm having a blast.

Top Bottom