• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

Hazmat

"What's the meaning of life, Mad Men?"

C O C A C O L A I T ' S T H E R E A L T H I N G

christmas-story-9-5.gif

Excellent.

Coca Cola getting that free advertising. Can't wait to hear matt weiner talk all about it. He said he's doing at least one big interview or something right?

kevin1025

Banned
Am I imagining things, didn't Weiner say he had an ending picked out and it was in the 1980s?

He also mentioned in a HitFix interview that he would never have someone from the show come up with such a famous ad campaign. But that was a few years ago and I guess he changed his mind.

Josh5890

I just had a thought. Was there a reason why Sally didn't smoke on the show in the last season (the episodes that aired this year). Was there pressure coming down on Weirner or something? It seemed like one of those smaller plots that slowly reappeared towards the end.

wingwah

Banned
Here's the article I was thinking of. I was wrong, Weiner said he wanted to end it in present day when Don is in his 80s.

Weiner has always been a master troll. He loves to mislead viewers–I think it's possible he had other ideas for the ending, though.

An ending with an old Don would have been too derivative.

Pryce

Stan and Peggy get married and have kids.

Joan starts a business and raises her kid + Roger.

Pete and Trudy live a happy life.

Don goes back to California, gives McCann the Coke ad, and takes care of his kids.

I like it.

big ander

You guys jwoliner is killing on Twitter on the finale right now
Oh man I'm gonna go check now, I'm guessing with Gelman being in it he loved it? It'd only make sense that Gelman/Woliner are all about Mad Men, adventurous filmmakers like adventurous film and tv.

EDIT: also yeah I posted that David Ehrlich tweet about going from the back of Don's head to his face in here, great summation line.

Oh man I'm gonna go check now, I'm guessing with Gelman being in it he loved it? It'd only make sense that Gelman/Woliner are all about Mad Men, adventurous filmmakers like adventurous film and tv.

EDIT: also yeah I posted that David Ehrlich tweet about going from the back of Don's head to his face in here, great summation line.

Nah Woliner is just talking about how every ad charac ever should have been in the commune. Deadly.

Jayhawk

I appreciated the insight from this post I found on reddit regarding the previous episode and an earlier episode in this season.

I got the impression that this episode and the previous one was him, well, getting past his "bullshit." In the last one, he realizes people have done much, much worse things in war - and Don's wasn't even intentional. Today - well, today was less obvious.

At the very least, I think he realizes something along the lines of "it's about the journey." With his calls to Betty and Peggy, it seems like he thinks being a better family man would bring him happiness. While it certainly wouldn't hurt, the blue shirt guy's speech kind of refutes that. I imagine they were going for Don finding the sort of wisdom you can't really describe - it isn't just solving "that one thing" that's going to make you happy.

Also, I think it speaks volumes that they end by making Don "wise." It's not something you ever really associate with advertising, and that's been a slight theme throughout the series. I wish I could remember it better, but there was some earlier scene about Peggy's ambitions to make something great and lasting - and someone shoots it down - "in advertising?"

Man, I loved it and hated it at the same time. Good fairy tale endings for most, but it was still too ambiguous. Don making the coke ad is brilliant though. I'll have to ruminate on this...
Personally I don't think there's much left to the imagination. It pretty much lays out the future for all the characters.

big ander

That's her maiden name.

Which is perfect for her-- her marriage was a travesty but the one thing she got out of it was another name. And with two names her makeshift production company doesn't sound like it's being run out of an apartment. Joan, always making the best of a shit situation.

I appreciated the insight from this post I found on reddit regarding the previous episode and an earlier episode in this season.

The thing that really broke through for Don was the moment where guy was like "they're all trying their best, and you don't even really know what..."

That part just wrecked me. So simple and profound. I don't know. Stuff like that in art, about how people communicate and try to build lives together and just, God damn it.

That kind of stuff is so moving to me.

i'm probably interpreting this so wrong from it's intended meaning but i just saw that as Don not getting 'real' peace and all that retreat really did for him was allow him to profit off of what should have helped him. lol

:(

pretty powerful ending imo.

realwords

Is there a place where I can watch the chair guy's monologue again? My Dad (first mad men episode he ever watched) kept going off about how a relationship between a hypothetical Stan and Peggy in 2015 would be shot down before it even started.

The thing that really broke through for Don was the moment where guy was like "they're all trying their best, and you don't even really know what..."

That part just wrecked me. So simple and profound. I don't know. Stuff like that in art, about how people communicate and try to build lives together and just, God damn it.

That kind of stuff is so moving to me.
Don has made allusions to that too recently. Basically asking why people are doing that they're doing. What's next, etc.

Stan and Peggy get married and have kids.

Joan starts a business and raises her kid + Roger.

Pete and Trudy live a happy life.

Don goes back to California, gives McCann the Coke ad, and takes care of his kids.

I like it.

Why do people keep saying that Don went back to take care of his kids? Don't get me wrong I want to believe that's what happened, I just don't know how some are arriving at that conclusion. I mean isn't it possible that Don simply created a great ad? Is it the love and harmony aspect of the ad and its contrast to Don at his lowest when he has the mini breakdown at the payphone? I guess if he didn't kill himself he must have gone back to take care of his kids then?

maharg

idspispopd
I think it's incredible -- and speaks volumes about this show -- that there was a whole page-long discussion of what song the show would end on in this thread and not one person (that I saw) got it right, and yet in hindsight it's so absolutely right and perfect a song to cap off this show.

I'm glad we saw more of Peggy in the finale, but I'm really unsure of how I feel about her ending in general. I'm also unclear on what her ending even is exactly. Is she just typing regular copy for McCann in that scene? For a second I actually thought it was her writing the Coke song, but that obviously wasn't the case given the full context.

Basically, I feel like she got what looks like a happy ending but isn't really. I think Peggy would regret not seeing where that opportunity would take her, and honestly for a driven career woman in the 60s I'm not sure there really *could be* 'more to life than work.' Everything about the other aspects of life at the time were set up to sabotage a woman's career. To some extent they still are.

i'm probably interpreting this so wrong from it's intended meaning but i just saw that as Don not getting 'real' peace and all that retreat really did for him was allow him to profit off of what should have helped him. lol

That's pretty fair and probably likely. Everytime Don hits a low, he finds a way to get out of it without really addressing his core issues. With what should be a meditation moment, he's thinking about ads!

As Stan says, Don is a survivor.

jtb

Banned
That was a terrible finale, if only because it confirmed what has been pretty obvious for the past three seasons: Don's character has completely fizzled out and they had no idea what to do with him. An episode like "Tomorrowland" established a lot of the same thematic ideas... the new, yet illusory, beginning... without letting the show drag on for a few more seasons, spinning its wheels.

What was up with all the phone conversations?

Having said that, great show. Even if it did peak in S3-4. Will be missed.

Why do people keep saying that Don went back to take care of his kids? Don't get me wrong I want to believe that's what happened, I just don't know how some are arriving at that conclusion. I mean isn't it possible that Don simply created a great ad? Is it the love and harmony aspect of the ad and its contrast to Don at his lowest when he has the mini breakdown at the payphone? I guess if he didn't kill himself he must have gone back to take care of his kids then?

I think after his breakthrough at the very least he'll be around for them. After watching the entire series I can't really see any situation other than Don staying involved in his kids' lives.

Pryce

Did I miss something?

You guys think he never saw his kids again? Ever?

He just cut off his life from Sally? I'm not saying he adopted them and became a stay at home dad, but I can't believe in a thought that says he stopped being a part of their life.

yami4ct

I loved the ending. It feels like a really natural progression from where the show began.

What I find interesting to think about is whether or not the implication Don created the Coke ad is a positive step in his life or a negative one. From his face at the California Cult, we definitely see he's reached some sort of self acceptance, yet what he does with that revelation is turn around and sell it to the same industry that helped him slide down to the horrible place he was before. Like so many experiences he's had before, he just turned around and used it to sell the public on another thing. Is the fact he went back really a positive sign and can he carry this new Don forward or is this a sign that he's temporarily found a way to cope and just set himself back on the same destructive path he was on before?

The entire finale was about Don embracing his own life and realizing who he is and who those that love him are like Peggy and his kids etc.

Haha, there are quite a few of us on the thread who had a similar take!

I think people are hoping he went back to the kids but I don't think anything in the final moments of the finale suggests that though. I think he just came up with a great ad.

That's pretty fair and probably likely. Everytime Don hits a low, he finds a way to get out of it without really addressing his core issues. With what should be a meditation moment, he's thinking about ads!

As Stan says, Don is a survivor.
Exactly! They even say that Don "always does this" (runs away but returns with inspiration). This time, it just happened to take place in the series finale and involved an experience at a commune and Coca-Cola.

Top Bottom