• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

That's exactly it. It is genius. Most people will observe this and be like he came to a self realization about himself. No, he was inspired for an ad.

Ah but Don's ads are based on his own life ergo he did come to a self realization, It's like he said to Peggy in season 2, "You are the product, you feeling something." ;)

I thought the ending sucked. Some decent ideas and scenes but overall felt like some fan service neatly tying up everything. It was a lot happier and sappier than I thought it would be, and really was very uncharacteristic of the show and most definitely this season. Felt like the Coke thing was a cool idea but in the end the result just feels like a cheap joke for initial viewing.

I understand the layers, the intricacies and what have you. But this episode definitely like the weakest of these past two seasons. I just don't think it works, and I wasn't looking for a complete ending and closure for everything either.

I really didn't like this. I love this show and always will, that won't change. But I won't pretend I like the finale.

Tabris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2msbfN81Gm0

Here is the ad btw.

Uploaded on Aug 27, 2009
This is a restored version of the famous "I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke" ad from 1971. Called the "Hilltop" ad at the time, it is recognized as one of the most beloved and well-known commercials in history. The commercial was highly popular and was part of our 1971 "It's the Real Thing" campaign. It has been consistently celebrated as one of the most memorable and iconic spots in advertising history. "I'd Like To Teach the World to Sing, In Perfect Harmony," was later recorded by the New Seekers and released as a single.

Here is a link on the making of the ad:

http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/coke-lore-hilltop-story

120v

my first take away was that don didn't create the commercial... he just "tapped into" his own genius, and the commercial was a reflection of that, despite whether he created it or not. and then you can sort of extrapolate on his future from there.

maybe i'm just being too historically rigid, but the thought of him creating the commercial is a little too from Point A to Point B for me. but then again the show's taken several historical liberties before

Tabris

CFQhLQMW0AAKYNI.jpg

Wiki was edited quick haha.

my first take away was that don didn't create the commercial... he just "tapped into" his own genius, and the commercial was a reflection of that, despite whether he created it or not. and then you can sort of extrapolate on his future from there.

maybe i'm just being too historically rigid, but the thought of him creating the commercial is a little too from Point A to Point B for me. but then again the show's taken several historical liberties before
Honestly that was my take too. But as others have highlighted I could see it being Don did the ad in the Mad Men universe. I feel like if don was really having the breakthrough people think/hope then him staying where he was at the resort area and not doing the commercial would show a more likely transition in his life. Doing the ad feels like another relapse

oatmeal

Banned
When it ended...my wife and I were pissed.

"THE FUCK IS THAT??? THE WHOLE SHOW IS AN AD FOR COKE!!!"

I started writing on my brother's FB wall, I figured Don was letting go of Don and starting new...Don's a deadbeat dad, Don's this Don's that. Fuck Coke.

As I kept writing messages (I totaled 8 in a row without anyone else conversing with me), I started piecing it together. And now, I think the ENDING was brilliant.

Obviously, they knocked the subplots out of the park. Peggy and Stan being my favorite (though my favorite scene goes to the unspoken love between Birdie/Don on the phone).

However...

As an entire show, Mad Men is brilliant. The ending itself, also brilliant...and the more I read about things and see things that they did to build it up...the more brilliant I see it. Mad Men is a bonafide classic.

Having said that, this last season was NOT good. The last 3 episodes were, but prior to that it was retreading old grounds while Don chases some girl that we don't know for reason that are unclear. I really wish that Season 7 part 1 ended with him leaving McCann for his sabotical and we are left to wonder where...they come back and we watch Don trying and failing to become a new man. Ending is the same.

What we ended up getting was more like LOST's final season where we have a bunch of characters sitting around and not doing anything, waiting until we're closer to the end so they can spring into action. Episodes 1-4 were Mad Men's "temple".

Anyway, back to the finale...

Great stuff. It just took me a moment to realize what was happening...but damn will this resonate in time. No way this doesn't land on all sorts of 'best finale' lists in the future.

oatmeal

Banned
I'd go as far as to say it was a melancholy ending for Don. Just think of everything that happens up until that point. He's finally shed all his baggage. He's hit rock bottom, to the point of being catatonic. No home, no family, no friends. He's toxic to everyone in his life, and he knows it.

Then finally, he connects with another human being. He has a moment of realization. The camera focuses on Don's face, and you see him crack a smile. Has he finally found the happiness he's been desperately seeking out his whole life?

No. The smile belongs to the idea for the Coke ad. Another pitch, another boost to his ego, another fix of his addiction. It's all part of the same old cycle for Don.

In the end, it's always been a show about addictions. The drinking, the smoking, the sex - all addictions to help the characters fill the void in their lives. Don's primary addiction is the rush of that one great idea, and the accolades that come along with it. But those are fleeting. And so sadly, his life keeps going in the same destructive cycle. No happiness to be found.

Damn. I hadn't thought of that either.

Where's the fun in him not creating the commercial? ;)

Forgot to mention that Pete's role felt very shoehorned in this episode. Really seemed like they should've just made this a Don ep. Didn't care for what this episode did for Peggy, Joan or Pete. But Roger was terrific. Okay should've been a Don AND Roger episode.

Tabris

When it ended...my wife and I were pissed.

"THE FUCK IS THAT??? THE WHOLE SHOW IS AN AD FOR COKE!!!"

I started writing on my brother's FB wall, I figured Don was letting go of Don and starting new...Don's a deadbeat dad, Don's this Don's that. Fuck Coke.

As I kept writing messages (I totaled 8 in a row without anyone else conversing with me), I started piecing it together. And now, I think the ENDING was brilliant.

I wonder how many people posting negative reactions in this thread haven't given it the time to sink in yet. At first reaction, it's disappointing, but then you think about what it means in the whole context of the show and characterization of Don, and you realize how brilliant it is.

Pryce

I wonder how many people posting negative reactions in this thread haven't given it the time to sink in yet. At first reaction, it's disappointing, but then you think about what it means in the whole context of the show and characterization of Don, and you realize how brilliant it is.

I sat in my chair for a good five minutes staring at my tv trying to understand as to why Mad Men ended with a fucking coke commercial.

LOVE YOU MATTHEW WEINER.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I'd go as far as to say it was a melancholy ending for Don. Just think of everything that happens up until that point. He's finally shed all his baggage. He's hit rock bottom, to the point of being catatonic. No home, no family, no friends. He's toxic to everyone in his life, and he knows it.

Then finally, he connects with another human being. He has a moment of realization. The camera focuses on Don's face, and you see him crack a smile. Has he finally found the happiness he's been desperately seeking out his whole life?

No. The smile belongs to the idea for the Coke ad. Another pitch, another boost to his ego, another fix of his addiction. It's all part of the same old cycle for Don.

In the end, it's always been a show about addictions. The drinking, the smoking, the sex - all addictions to help the characters fill the void in their lives. Don's primary addiction is the rush of that one great idea, and the accolades that come along with it. But those are fleeting. And so sadly, his life keeps going in the same destructive cycle. No happiness to be found.

It took me a bit, but I eventually came around to this and I like the ending now. I wasn't happy with it when I saw it but now it's up there with my top 5.

There are people who still don't get the Diana stuff?

I feel a lot of people who are dissapointed wanted a piece of cinema instead of a last slice of Mad Men.
Remove the dread of watching a finale and go back into it. I'd wager you would enjoy it.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm so happy for Peggy and Stan.

Typical Don.

I want this show to go on.

But this is the end.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Loved it, especially the final bits with Don. It got better the more I thought about it. Definitely going to try to watch it again tomorrow.

Really going to miss this show. It's been a pleasure reading all the discussions and reactions over the years here.

oatmeal

Banned
There are people who still don't get the Diana stuff?

I feel a lot of people who are dissapointed wanted a piece of cinema instead of a last slice of Mad Men.

Guilty.

What am I missing with him spending all of that time? I realize the Menken similarities or whatever...but why was it important?

The entire finale was about Don embracing his own life and realizing who he is and who those that love him are like Peggy and his kids etc.

yep, that's the takeaway.

My interpretation is that he at last found peace at who he was and went back to McCann to be an ad man and near his kids.

The only slightly disappointing thing for me was Peggy not joining Joan but she finally found Stan.

Tabris

yep, that's the takeaway.

My interpretation is that he at last found peace at who he was and went back to McCann to be an ad man and near his kids.

You know an ending is fantastic when you have to think about it, and everyone has their interpretation.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Can't believe that was the end. It felt a bit reminiscent of the Sopranos.

Don, goes back to work. Then the world ends.

I felt the Stan/Peggy stuff was a bit too corny.

Can't believe that was the end. It felt a bit reminiscent of the Sopranos.

Don, goes back to work. Then the world ends.

I felt the Stan/Peggy stuff was a bit too corny.

stan/peggy was the only thing i didn't like about the ending. the don ending was really clever imo, kinda thought provoking and tied it into a real-life event (that wasn't DB Cooper shit lol)

LOL at people thinking Don didn't make the ad. They only put a million clues in there including the pigtailed girl and Peggy saying other people go off the reservation and McCann still lets them come back.

I actually wish they had made it subtle.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
i can't articulate it, but I was affected by all the dramatic moments in this episode happening through a phone

hamchan

I liked all the resolution for the characters except Don pretty much lol.

But yeah, slightly disappointed by the end. Won't join my list of best TV endings that's for sure. Felt like just another good Mad Men episode rather than something amazing.

DrBo42

That's a pretty great ending. Felt like the logical pair to (in my opinion) the best episode/pitch the carousel. That amazing inspiration from his darkest most vulnerable moments. Not sure Don will ever be truly happy, glad it's not spelled out.

Klocker

Seeing as I was a kid enthralled by that Coke ad as well as learning to appreciate it as art as I got older, it was a pitch perfect ending for me.

Loved it much better than Don giving up. Stan said it, if there is one thing Don is, he is a survivor. I'm shocked I even entertained the thought that he'd off himself... instead he digs deep on self reflection after the beating he's taken this past year and knocks the shit out of it.

And delivered oh so subtly by Weiner and Hamm.

Well done.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure how I feel about giving Peggy a "free yourself from ambition" ending

I mean, yeah... maybe. Maybe.

For a guy who barely understood half the stuff all the characters were talking about (seriously how in the hell did stick to this for 8 years?) and never really dug deep to discover all the symbolism and allegory. I think this was a good ending. It didn't reach the highs of BB but it definitely didn't have the "huh?" moment like The Sopranos which for a second I thought it was going to. Thank god for Coke.

kirblar

I'm not sure how I feel about giving Peggy a "free yourself from ambition" ending

I mean, yeah... maybe. Maybe.
I'm not sure what Joan was offering was her ambition. Joan needed to be doing something. Anything. She was simply never going to be satisfied not working in some capacity. Peggy seemed to have more specific ambitions for a head creative position, and taking Joan's offer would have probably ended those.

maharg

idspispopd
Thinking about this episode I keep going back to wondering what Peggy was typing in her last shot. If she wrote the copy for the Coke ad, I think I can be satisfied with her ending even with what I feel is a pretty shoe-horned in and unnecessary relationship-saves-the-day ending. But I'm not sure if I'm just reading what I want into it.

It makes sense Don has the most open-ended ending of any of the characters tho while everyone else is off getting these neat-bow endings. Only Joan/Betty get sort of shafted in the end.

But if y'all wanna take the whole "Don made the ad/went back to NY to work and be close to his kids/ is it at peace" angle, one can also say he still made the great ad, but also still reverted to being a mostly absent father, and still ended up miserable.

There just wasn't enough there for me in the last 5 minutes to imply more than, "yeah he got over THIS hump, and he made another great ad". He still hasn't seemed to gotten over the real hump of the show of finding who he is. A smile doesn't prove anything.

Weiner has stated he believes people don't change, and while its natural to hope for the best and lots of the final wrap ups are super rosey, it's very easy to see how a theoretical Season 8 of Mad Men could unravel every happy situation presented in these final episodes, and based on how these characters have acted so far, there is little reason to believe these scenarios will play out any differently.

It's just sort of annoying because at least you expected Don to change and for the show to show it by having him you know not go back into the vortex of work, ego, and sex that was his job but it's implied he goes back to McCann, back to square one.

Everyone else, well mostly, Roger is still a manchild, actually evolve but Don is practically the same dude character-wise from "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes". He seems to have learned nothing.

Maitiú

"They should love me. I mean, maybe they do, but I don't even know what it is.

You spend your whole life thinkng you aren't getting any, that people aren't giving it to you.

Then you realize they're trying... and you don't even know what it is."

Hopefully Don let those lines from Leonard fundamentally change how he sees people. The question of the thought behind Don's last smile instantly suggested two alternatives - the shallow hit to distract his pain (i.e., the coke idea) or the moment of forgiving himself and allowing himself to be his own self in that moment and in all future moments. In the state that he was in, I don't believe the former possible thought was anywhere close. But he is an ad man, through and through. It's only fitting that he came back and brought his new self with him.

Angry Fork

I don't like 2 things:

1. Peggy/Stan stuff. I always saw them as a brother/sister relationship rather than romantic one. Feels forced and weird.

2. Don going back to being an ad man. I get why it makes sense and it's unique and I like the explanations given here, but I'm an anti-capitalist and the finale basically endorses the kind of stuff Don struggled with before.

They have a guy pouring his heart out, in a community where people are real with each other, and the show says it's an achievement when Don cynically exploits that to sell products. It's just disappointing, like he's back where he started as far as I'm concerned except without the emotional baggage. After all that, Don just becomes an even more efficient con man...

Now to be fair I also don't think it would be satisfying for Don to just become a full blown hippie commie, that's not really his character, but idk. Was hoping for something else I guess, I just don't know what.

Guess Who

Banned
Maitiú;164319724 said:
"They should love me. I mean, maybe they do, but I don't even know what it is.

You spend your whole life thinkng you aren't getting any, that people aren't giving it to you.

Then you realize they're trying... and you don't even know what it is."

Hopefully Don let those lines from Leonard fundamentally change how he sees people. The question of the thought behind Don's last smile instantly suggested two alternatives - the shallow hit to distract his pain (i.e., the coke idea) or the moment of forgiving himself and allowing himself to be his own self in that moment and in all future moments. In the state that he was in, I don't believe the former possible thought was anywhere close. But he is an ad man, through and through. It's only fitting that he came back and brought his new self with him.

Joke's on you, that entire metaphor was about Coke.

hamchan

We've seen Don go through this cycle before. I totally believe he used this moment of peace to make that ad and revert back to his miserable life until the end of his days.

Top Bottom