• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

commune shit was vital to that ending, and the dissolution of dick whitman. plus he had his emotional chats with sally and betty AND peggy on the phone anyways. the latter two should give him the emmy finally

...plz

that peggy/stan shit was terrible though. i was so surprised that matthew weiner wrote that

CassSept

I thought the transition from Don's smile to Coke ad was brilliant. I really liked the ending, it's such a hard thing to end a show after so many years, especially show that was about the prose of life. A fair mix of closure, beginnings and life going on. Life is aimless and unexpected and the show does fantastic job at encompassing it. Okay the timing of Peggy and Stan confessing love was too neat, but seriously I'm glad she finally got something outside of work to care about.

Overall, Mad Men was a show that will most likely never be replicated. It could, should (oh, shoulds), have been shorter - both in episode count and real life (6 seasons, with no extended hiatus between season 4 and 5 and no split season 7 - that way it would have needed nearly 3 years ago, the show certainly lost a lot of momentum dragging on like it did). But well, again, I'm glad. Mad Men went out in a great way.

...so, they were teasing McCann trying to poach Don since season 1 just so he can make the Coke ad? Weinerrrrr.

I just watched it.

I see the projected future from the ending, it is quite clear, but damnit, I would have liked at least one more scene or a little more in the way of Don's direction. In many cases, implying something and leaving it there is best, but this is the end!!!! There'll be no more Mad Men, and I guess I just wanted a little something more at the very end after the coke ad to see it for myself.

I might change my mind after some time. This is just my immediate reaction.

CassSept

I couldn't help but crack a smile when people were guessing what the final song could be, as links above prove there were some who guessed but most people where guessing it would be something along the lines of American Pie, Gimme Shelter... yet it wasn't anything that marked the end of '60s, or the turn of the decade, but a Coke ad. Perfect.

Dmax3901

I didn't necessarily read that the Coke ad meant Don went back to make a Coke ad.

I'm not sure if I think all you guys are wrong or if I think I'm an idiot.

I didn't necessarily read that the Coke ad meant Don went back to make a Coke ad.

I'm not sure if I think all you guys are wrong or if I think I'm an idiot.

oh that was definitely don's ad. the signs were all there. and they even gave us a visual cue

CFQixpBUgAI0fdL.jpg

god damn..that was a cynical ending. i bet matthew weiner was chuffed when he thought of the final scene for this.

Dmax3901

So the audience thinks he's gone all namaste but then we see his smirk and realise he has changed, not into a new man, but into the same man as before.

He then goes back to Mcann and uses his spiritual 'experience' to make an ad for Coke.

"You know what Peggy? We really were Mad Men."

I don't think that's a Don ad. I don't recall any of Don's work on the show actually existing in reality, and it would be a rather odd departure for the show to start doing it now - at the very end. I think Weiner certainly wanted people to speculate about it, though.

I think it's just kind of a humorously cynical statement on how even love and self-discovery can be capitalized.

CassSept

I don't think that's a Don ad. I don't recall any of Don's work on the show actually existing in reality, and it would be a rather odd departure for the show to start doing it now - at the very end. I think Weiner certainly wanted people to speculate about it, though.

I think it's just kind of a humorously cynical statement on how even love and self-discovery can be capitalized.

'It's toasted' for Luckies, back from the series opening episode.

really glad i decided to watch this show a few years ago. before that i thought ^^^^ was colonel sanders and this was just some uninteresting series about advertising.

what i got was quite the captivating series de-romanticizing the 60s and with some complex characters i'll miss for sure. best AMC show.

That ending.

I totally dug this episode and couldn't wish for more. <3

Right on. It was just illustrating exactly what you said, and Don would be a part of that, it doesn't have to be his ad.

Overall, I think it's a brilliant finale.

I mean, no matter how you interpret that final sequence, it's kind of a hilariously cynical way to end the show.

The Peggy/Stan stuff is a bit much, but I think even that was sort of intentional. It was a romantic comedy moment that, at least to me, foretells an angry, miserable relationship. Does anyone really think those two have a storybook relationship? Because I sure as hell don't.

In any case, I love that Weiner had the balls to condemn his protagonist like that in the show's final moments. Don isn't finding redemption. He's either a self-absorbed new-age spiritualist who abandoned his kids or the most incomprehensibly cynical ad man in New York.

Don Draper/Dick Whitman is one of television's greatest villains.

Like, I can't even read him as an anti-hero. That finale shows him as a straight-up villain.

If that's what Weiner has been going for the entire time, props to him. Because Christ, that's fucking brilliant and ballsy.

. He's either a self-absorbed new-age spiritualist who abandoned his kids or the most incomprehensibly cynical ad man in New York.

Hahaha. 10 minutes before the end when he was going through his list of sins I almost laughed like 'eez, are they ending with "actually. Don's a shit head and he should hate himself. bye."

I have never really enjoyed the commune or hippie style excursions in the show. I don't know if they are genuine, but they've always felt like tourism to me in what is otherwise a show that feels honest about things. Even in this finale, I was very curious about what Don was doing until Stephanie took him there. I was just hoping he would hurry up and leave, because nothing any of those characters feels meaningful to me. Even the story of the Leonard I was only a little invested in. It barely felt important enough for an important character development in Don, let alone the last one.

Bascally I'm still like Don was walking around there with his arms folding, except I would have just left after one night.

So I don't find much satisfaction in the idea that Don stayed there or embraced a life indicated by that experience. I think he did go back to New York and make the Coke pitch, harvesting that experience for the work.

Beyond the stuff in the last few minutes, which I thinks points to him doing that, there was also the phone call to Peggy where she says he can come back and 'it's happened before' with regards to other people, and she asks doesn't he want to work on Coke. Also, Don worked at McCann which was the agency who made that ad, and Coke has been brought up several times recently as something Don has always wanted to do. It's also clear that Don's trips away are usually not a positive thing, they are a reaction to some crisis or another, where he spirals downwards until he finds something to grab onto and pick himself up again. I don't think there's much to suggest that this one is any different. There's plenty of stuff in place to support looking at the ending that way.

I think it is more in line with the story of the show and the character that he would go back. I don't find much appeal in the alternative, which is that the show's ending should be looked at on a different textual level than rest of it. Don didn't go back, and the ad was made by someone else. He stayed in a commune, or wandered (as an unhappy drunk?) for the rest of his life. The ad was only shown to demonstrate how advertising processes genuine emotion, but we leave the world of the show for it and go into the real world, or something.

Nah. I think he went back.
Don Draper/Dick Whitman is one of television's greatest villains.

Like, I can't even read him as an anti-hero. That finale shows him as a straight-up villain.

If that's what Weiner has been going for the entire time, props to him. Because Christ, that's fucking brilliant and ballsy.

What's villainous about him?

I have never really enjoyed the commune or hippie style excursions in the show. I don't know if they are genuine, but they've always felt like tourism to me in what is otherwise a show that feels honest about things.

I think it's clear that they're intentionally not genuine. In retrospect I think the show has been almost entirely condemnatory of the New Age movement.

What's villainous about him?

Like I said, no matter how you read that ending, Don/Dick is a colossal asshole.

Corpekata

Banned
Only thing I didn't care for was how many scenes seemed to be over the phone in the finale. Though I suppose that's a credit to the cast that so many of them can make it work.

I think it's clear that they're intentionally not genuine. In retrospect I think the show has almost entirely condemnatory of the New Age movement.

Yeah, I guess it has. I also feel like that point has been made, and I didn't really enjoy watching it being made again. It doesn't feel fleshed out or real to me, more like a caricature which I have watched and read about in various other books and movies already. Usually with some establishment guy breezing into the place and sticking out. It's just well tread story material. I read the Elementary Particles last month and it has a lot of this 'new age culture was a load of horseshit!'. If they were going to do it on Mad Men, I wish they would have found a better angle.

Which makes it seem even more likely Don would just take their hippie nonsense and use it for an ad. Would Don Draper really find deep inner peace as a result of humming amidst a group of deluded weirdos? Would any smart person? Makes it seem like much less of a cynical thing to do, if it's all bullshit anyway.

Like I said, no matter how you read that ending, Don/Dick is a colossal asshole.

Why?

He's usually pretty decent to people. He makes the wrong choices in his personal life when it comes to family and relationships, but he tries to fix things when he hurts people, and tries not to hurt them at all. He's driven and selfish, but many people are that way to varying degrees. Many people also don't give a shit and never try to be better, Don did. He isn't a 'colossal asshole'. He is, at times, capable of being selfish and dishonest. At other times he's capable of being very generous and forthcoming.

Addi

Amazing, all this time I thought he was going to "kill off" Don and return to being Dick, he actually kills off Dick and truly becomes Don. Genius ending.

hamchan

Amazing, all this time I thought he was going to "kill off" Don and return to being Dick, he actually kills off Dick and truly becomes Don. Genius ending.

Yep. I think Don has realized he's a shit person and has now fully embraced being a shit person!

Tabris

So in the end, Pete was the only person in the "Don Draper world" that found out his full story as Dick Whitman. Betty and Megan only knew a couple pieces.

I just love that we were kind of led to believe that Dick was the redeemable side of the Don/Dick coin, when in reality, both sides are fucking assholes.

Is it not possible that Don found some peace and also came back to deliver this great ad? He still has children that he needs to look after.

I am sure he did.

While Don's repeating some patterns, the real difference is that he has given up on his "ignore it/run away" strategy finally. That scene where Stephanie tells him it doesn't work like that, followed by being stuck in a place where he had to face his feelings was the difference. That and Peggy telling him that people care about him.

I didn't get that at all. The 60s flowerpower and 70s free love was really turned in to a commodity, and Don being a part of that doesn't make him a villain, it just makes him good at his job - for better or worse. It all happened in real life without Don so we can't blame him solely for it. We would expect Don to be on the cusp of the wave whatever happens, whether he goes back to McCann or starts his own thing from just a pitch and a wink.

In that ending I see the past 70 years of pop culture distilled in to a minute of pure genius TV.

I didn't get that at all. The 60s flowerpower and 70s free love was really turned in to a commodity, and Don being a part of that doesn't make him a villain, it just makes him good at his job - for better or worse. It all happened in real life without Don so we can't blame him solely for it. We would expect Don to be on the cusp of the wave whatever happens, whether he goes back to McCann or starts his own thing from just a pitch and a wink.

In that ending I see the past 70 years of pop culture distilled in to a minute of pure genius TV.

It really is so totally mind bogglingly perfect and genius.

I didn't read the finale as cynical at all. To me that whole episode was showing the characters finding balance and acceptance in their lives. No one had a clean happy, storybook ending. That's never what the show was striving for. Every single major character experienced success and failure and will continue to. That's what life is; a series of successes and failures. But I think that finale was coming to terms with that. Finding a balance in life. With work and personal life. With highs and lows. There were so many swings for these characters. Joan losing her relationship but gaining a business, almost within the same moment. Peggy feeling as if she lost Don, but finding love with Stan. Once again within the same moment. Roger having passionate sex and then fighting with his fiancee within a minute. Don being at his absolute low, seriously on the verge of conscious suicide, to finally connecting with someone and embracing who he is. You can even go back to the previous episode where Pete and Trudy decided to get married again. There was no hope up until the second there was.

The series ended like this because the characters have finally turned the corner. It's not that their won't be terrible moments in their lives, just that they have found peace with how life works. The all learned to sing in perfect harmony, and there was no where else to go.

Eric Deggans is on NPR saying definitively that Don came up with the Coke ad.

That bothers me. It's very open to interpretation, and I think it's incorrect to say with certainty that it's his ad.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
The Peggy story line was pure unadulterated trash. Truly abhorrent.

It felt insulting to both the character and the audience.

Eric Deggans is on NPR saying definitively that Don came up with the Coke ad.

That bothers me. It's very open to interpretation, and I think it's incorrect to say with certainty that it's his ad.

Iunno, Pigtail Maitre'D kinda solidifies it.

An argument could be made that Peggy visited a transcendent Don in the commune, but I think it would bother me more if the show ended with our main charac finally discovering advertising was killing him all along.

It wasn't. That's why the magical Peggy and Stan can thrive at it. What was killing Don was his overwhelming terror at getting "found out" in all levels of his life, and so he ran and pushed and ran some more.

Weiner said a little while ago that this show was about "Don becoming a white male." And that's what happened in the finale. He finally embraced the status and access he had gotten a very long time ago.

A huge (arguably the best) part of the show has been where writers get their ideas. I am 100% fine that the biggest ad idea in the history of man got a lot more space to explain where the idea came from than, like, Ponds Cold Cream.

But if you go with the idea that Don didn't come up with it then it just jumps the track of the goals that the show has established since the pilot episode.

Top Bottom