• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madcatz reveal Street Fighter V Arcade Sticks and Fight Pad

Wallach

How would the fightpad compare to this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KD88J7U/

I have that pad (or at least this one, assuming it is the same pad), and I quite like it.

If I had any issues with the FC4, it would be that there is no touchpad functionality, and that the d-pad is maybe very slightly too tall for my personal taste. It's a very good d-pad mind you, but I feel like you'll develop callous a little faster since the gaps between the cardinals are pretty pronounced at that height with the rigid plastic (though probably quite durable, feels like it might be PBT or POM rather than ABS plastic). They've rounded all the edges on it well to combat this, but each direction also angles upward slightly as it comes away from the center rather than being flat, so you still feel it on quick sweeping motions. Good I think for input accuracy though, I think.

The shape and layout is near perfect though, maybe the best ever in that regard in the context of fighting games. The triggers feel slightly less solid than the face buttons because they're flattened out, wide buttons (which is ideal for digital input) but don't necessarily have great stabilizer design. It's never once caused me to drop an input or anything like that, they just don't feel quite as nice as the face buttons.

I'm very glad the FightPad is taking a lot of cues from the FC4. The concept of the d-pad on the FightPad is more up my alley, but hard to say how well it works in practice. The layout and shape though look very similar which is a great thing (especially implementing the trigger swap switch, which is very useful). What I'm most curious about other than the d-pad is the build quality. Given that they're asking a fair bit more than the FC4 I think they need to prove the merit of that in the construction and materials; I don't think the additions of the touchpad and analog stick quite cover the difference.

thelastword

Banned
Yea it does
That Dpad is just too circular to function as a proper dpad. No defined directional buttons, I can see lots of execution problems happening here. I've tried Dpads close enough to this design and it just does not work well, the dpad reminds me of this....

61yEEdGkrZL._SL1300_.jpg

Just flatter and slightly better, these type of dpads are never good.

Raitaro

As a guy living in a small (but expensive) UK apartment who always wanted to get back into using fighting sticks, that Alpha one might be right up my alley due to its compactness. I've always wanted to buy a decent compact stick so hopefully this one will deliver that.

Then again, the PS4 controller does seem better suited to fighting games than the PS3 one ever was, but I could be wrong on that assumption of course.

Well, personally I preordered both a TES+ and a TE2+ (I would only use on PC so I care not about the touch pads - does anybody know if PS4 touchpads do anything when connected to PC?) - but anyway.

Then after several days I canceled my TE2+ order and ordered a second TES+ instead. I just don't see why the TE2+ should cost that much more and I have zero interest in replacing the interior components of the sticks every tuesday night or something so the pop open design does nothing for me except perhaps make me wonder if it somehow reduces the overall toughness of the case.

I had an original SF4 TE stick for PS3 that I mostly (tried) to use with PC but later sold because the only way I could get it to work was with my desktop by purchasing an expensive PCIe expansion card with a specific old ass USB 2.0 chipset by VIA and it was useless on all of my other machines. I was very happy with that old TE stick otherwise.

Why buy two of them ugh... I saw the future and saw my son wanting to play with me and envisioning the fights over who gets to use the arcade stick. Kids cost a fortune in more ways than people without them can imagine.

The TES+ is ending up only costing me around $65 after taxes more than what I got selling my old SF4 PS3 TE stick so I'm not really that broken up about it considering that these new sticks are using a modern usb controller that should have some staying power and not some piece of shit USB 1.1 garbage like the original TE.

Well Amazon Canada caught on to their pricing error. TE2+ just jumped from $205 to $350 Canadian.

The TES+ was a much better deal in terms of discount percentage and the fact that it's basically the same controller as the TE2+ without the god awful angular case with the useless (for most of us) quick open lid.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
The TES+ was a much better deal in terms of discount percentage and the fact that it's basically the same controller as the TE2+ without the god awful angular case with the useless (for most of us) quick open lid.

That's why we are giving people the options. That's why there is a range of products (and non SFV branded ones) that will continue to be available in the market.

Papacheeks

Banned
Really don't understand people in this thread saying you have to pay lots of money for a fight stick. So untrue, people need to educate themselves.
If you shop, or wait till after a game like blaze blue, guilty gear, or even soul calibur comes out the sticks that are promoting the game drop like crazy.

I bought a Hori Soul calibur V stick for 89.99 on amazon. It has all the same quality parts you find in the TE editions. And you can change parts.
Same for my older Hori stick Pro arcade for 360. Paid little over 130 for it.

You have to wait, right now you can pick up Hori arcade pro which works for PC/PS3/PS4 for 123.99.
If you prefer sanwa buttons you can easily change them for less then 20 bucks for a set. Hori blaze blue stick can be found for 99-130 on amazon or through other sites. ANd it uses sanwa's.
There haven't been a lot of fighting games yet, it takes time. WHen PS3 was in full force you could get a competitive stick for 99 bucks.

You just have to look and be patient. Soon Hori will have their new lineup out closer to Street fighter V release.

I hate you MarkMan but I must have that SFV TE2 even though I already bought the regular TE2(no game specific design). Honestly their is no reason for me to get it but I just have to have that one specifically because I just love the design so much. I don't want to go through the trouble of doing it myself so I'll pay a little extra for this one when it eventually comes out.

vg260

Yes, he actually used it on the Capcom Fighters stream during the SFV day (Saturday). He gave me a lot of great criticism and overall feedback on the FightPad PRO. He tweeted about it, in case you care to see:

https://twitter.com/Snake_Eyez_/status/673296226406678529

Is the design finalized or do you still have time to tweak it based on player feedback?

Also are the triggers analog? I'm curious why triggers were used instead of digital buttons if there is not going to be a right analog. It would seem like having a right stick and triggers would make it usable for any game and not just fighters. However. since the stick was unfortunately dropped, it seems like there's not really a need for triggers since it won't be suitable for general use with the right stick gone. All digital buttons seem preferable for fighters.

Not to poo poo on the SFV Mad Catz stuff, but if you are looking to spend over $100, I would highly recommend just going for an X-Arcade stick once they release the PS4 adapter (which should be out before SFV I'd hope).

They are on sale for $80 (single), $100 (double), and $150 (double with track ball) I just bought the X-Arcade Dual Joystick, and it is godly. It's 100% arcade perfect, and easily the best arcade stick I've ever used at home. I don't imagine any of the Mad Catz stuff uses arcade quality materials like this.
http://shop.xgaming.com/collections/arcade-joysticks/products/x-arcade-dual-joystick-usb-included

2player3.jpg

zewone

My original 360 TE stick is going strong.

Since SFV has cross platform play with PC/PS4, I'll just get it on PC to save money on a new stick.

Alpha looks pretty nice though.

I was about to go pre-order the alpha but saw a hori pad mini for ps4? Which would be the better choice? I'm more of a casual sf player but hope to get in some serious Olay time with this game.

Skilletor

Not to poo poo on the SFV Mad Catz stuff, but if you are looking to spend over $100, I would highly recommend just going for an X-Arcade stick once they release the PS4 adapter (which should be out before SFV I'd hope).

They are on sale for $80 (single), $100 (double), and $150 (double with track ball) I just bought the X-Arcade Dual Joystick, and it is godly. It's 100% arcade perfect, and easily the best arcade stick I've ever used at home. I don't imagine any of the Mad Catz stuff uses arcade quality materials like this.
http://shop.xgaming.com/collections/arcade-joysticks/products/x-arcade-dual-joystick-usb-included

2player3.jpg

This is an awful stick. You should educate yourself on what quality parts are.

2player3.jpg

Ew lol

Freiya

I have tried multiple time to learn how to play a stick and failed and yet, I need this.

This is what scares me. I've always wanted a stick but the few times I've used them I was horrible with it. I'm scared I'll buy it and then get frustrated and go back to controller. The fact that a lot of the good players use sticks speaks volumes though. I ended up buying a FC4 for SFV for right now though.

denshuu

I don't think anything's going to tear me away from the Hori FC4. That's probably my favorite pad since the Saturn pad. I'll give this new Fightpad a shot though. I'm starting to collect these things anyway.

specdot

2player3.jpg
This HAS to be a troll post.

baphomet

2player3.jpg

I hope this is a joke post. The X-Arcade is awful quality. Even the cheapest Mad Catz stick would be much more in line with a real arcade quality than this.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
The X-Arcade post was great. Thanks for that.

In regards to EU web store preorders, they'll go up just before they launch. If I were to give a guesstimate, It would probably be early February.

Looking forward to sharing more details with you all in the coming weeks. There's a lot of things about the products that aren't known yet :D

Warxard

Banned

2player3.jpg

Ive used PDP fightpads with better build quality than that trash heap

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

2player3.jpg
this post makes me feel bad

Skilletor

Does anyone use these Brooke converters? Is there any input lag?
http://www.brookaccessory.com/Super Converters/list.html

Like vulva said, they have had nothing but positive reception. The one thing I would worry about is that a PS4 update broke the compatibility of the product and introduced the 8 minute timer to it.

Brooke peeps responded and put out a firmware update on it, but buyer beware. No telling if that will happen again or if the people making it will be able to figure it out so fast.

And no, these types of adaptors aren't banned at EVO. Tons of people used PS2 to PS3 adaptors for years at EVO.

Cronusmax giving adaptors bad names. :p

This is what scares me. I've always wanted a stick but the few times I've used them I was horrible with it. I'm scared I'll buy it and then get frustrated and go back to controller. The fact that a lot of the good players use sticks speaks volumes though. I ended up buying a FC4 for SFV for right now though.

It took me almost two months to learn how to use a stick. I practiced movement for the majority of the time, performing combos and specials is extremely easy. Once you find the perfect grip for you it's smooth sailing from there. Just know learning to play on stick isn't instant gratification it takes awhile in my case almost two months.

Peltz

2player3.jpg

The irony....

Top Bottom