• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madcatz reveal Street Fighter V Arcade Sticks and Fight Pad

Fantomex

Not to poo poo on the SFV Mad Catz stuff, but if you are looking to spend over $100, I would highly recommend just going for an X-Arcade stick once they release the PS4 adapter (which should be out before SFV I'd hope).

They are on sale for $80 (single), $100 (double), and $150 (double with track ball) I just bought the X-Arcade Dual Joystick, and it is godly. It's 100% arcade perfect, and easily the best arcade stick I've ever used at home. I don't imagine any of the Mad Catz stuff uses arcade quality materials like this.
http://shop.xgaming.com/collections/arcade-joysticks/products/x-arcade-dual-joystick-usb-included

2player3.jpg

Late to the thread but...

hehehehehe_duck.gif

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
There is a really really long story behind that which I'll save for another day (will take too long to type right now). Maybe in the new year :D

Hyun Sai

I have that pad (or at least this one, assuming it is the same pad), and I quite like it.

If I had any issues with the FC4, it would be that there is no touchpad functionality, and that the d-pad is maybe very slightly too tall for my personal taste. It's a very good d-pad mind you, but I feel like you'll develop callous a little faster since the gaps between the cardinals are pretty pronounced at that height with the rigid plastic (though probably quite durable, feels like it might be PBT or POM rather than ABS plastic). They've rounded all the edges on it well to combat this, but each direction also angles upward slightly as it comes away from the center rather than being flat, so you still feel it on quick sweeping motions. Good I think for input accuracy though, I think.

The shape and layout is near perfect though, maybe the best ever in that regard in the context of fighting games. The triggers feel slightly less solid than the face buttons because they're flattened out, wide buttons (which is ideal for digital input) but don't necessarily have great stabilizer design. It's never once caused me to drop an input or anything like that, they just don't feel quite as nice as the face buttons.

I'm very glad the FightPad is taking a lot of cues from the FC4. The concept of the d-pad on the FightPad is more up my alley, but hard to say how well it works in practice. The layout and shape though look very similar which is a great thing (especially implementing the trigger swap switch, which is very useful). What I'm most curious about other than the d-pad is the build quality. Given that they're asking a fair bit more than the FC4 I think they need to prove the merit of that in the construction and materials; I don't think the additions of the touchpad and analog stick quite cover the difference.

The one thing I like about the FC4 is that we can have all 8 buttons on the right of the pad. Is it possible with the Madcatz ?

vg260

More like why does it have a left stick?

Yup, pretty much. I'd rather they do both or none, especially if it having none bought the price down, or potentially made the layout better. Hopefully the left stick is not bumped easily.

I'm also curious why triggers rather than all shoulder buttons, especially without a right stick. It think triggers are awkward for fighters. It's so close to being a general purpose controller too, but really is not. It's a weird hybrid. I would have rathered they fully commit one way or another.

JMTHEFOX

Not to poo poo on the SFV Mad Catz stuff, but if you are looking to spend over $100, I would highly recommend just going for an X-Arcade stick once they release the PS4 adapter (which should be out before SFV I'd hope).

They are on sale for $80 (single), $100 (double), and $150 (double with track ball) I just bought the X-Arcade Dual Joystick, and it is godly. It's 100% arcade perfect, and easily the best arcade stick I've ever used at home. I don't imagine any of the Mad Catz stuff uses arcade quality materials like this.
http://shop.xgaming.com/collections/arcade-joysticks/products/x-arcade-dual-joystick-usb-included

2player3.jpg

Good luck trying to play fighting games locally with a friend while the both of you hold that monstrosity of an arcade like fightstick

paolo11

Yep, it's in the OP.
CVT0u5LUwAAl1d0.jpg

Got my eye on the Chun-Li fightpad myself :D

Oh that's the one. Thanks.

I thought the Ryu one will have Ryu's illustration just like the sf4 fightpad.

Markman,is it easier to dp from crouch position on the new fightpad? The Hori FC4 one is a bit tough.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
In case you didn't know. There are people who actually use the analog stick to play and they can play at the highest levels.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Oh that's the one. Thanks.

I thought the Ryu one will have Ryu's illustration just like the sf4 fightpad.

Markman,is it easier to dp from crouch position on the new fightpad? The Hori FC4 one is a bit tough.

The D-Pad is fixed to a square gate, you can easily find the diagonal and do the shortcut motion required to do a DP from crouch.

Justinh

That fight pad looks sexy. I bet it'd work pleasantly with other 2d games like Axiom Verge and Shovel Knight. I just hope the D-pad feels good. I didn't like the one on my Chun-Li one from last generation.

Honestly, I was surprised that those X-Arcade links still worked. I had assumed they went the way of the dodo like... around 2006ish.

thelastword

Banned
More like why does it have a left stick?

Nobody uses the right stick for fighters, but many people including myself use the left stick in tandem with the DPAD, some people use the analog stick only whilst others use the DPAD only.

It's perfect for me as a grappler player because I use both, it's great for every body who uses a pad really.

Yup, pretty much. I'd rather they do both or none, especially if it having none bought the price down, or potentially made the layout better. Hopefully the left stick is not bumped easily.

I'm also curious why triggers rather than all shoulder buttons, especially without a right stick. It think triggers are awkward for fighters. It's so close to being a general purpose controller too, but really is not. It's a weird hybrid. I would have rathered they fully commit one way or another.
If one had to go, obviously the right stick had to (for whatever reasons, budget, easier access to the 6 face buttons etc..). I don't see how you will bump into the left stick when the controller seems larger than the DS2 (which I use currently for FG's). That controller has two analog sticks and I never bump into the sticks whilst using the dpad or vice versa.

As for your last point, I totally agree, it's a point I have made myself in this thread. I don't like the triggers, perhaps if they left the right stick in I could understand why they would keep the triggers at times where you'd want to double-down with shooters and other genres, but face buttons would have been much more appropriate for a fight-pad. Obviously, I don't agree with the everything or nothing part. The last set of madcatz pads had a dpad that broke quite easily, I'm not sure they are ready for an all purpose controller yet, if you use this one for just fighting games, maybe it will last a bit longer.

Speaking of dpads, the dpad on this controller is another area that looks a little suspect to me, but I won't knock it too much till I try it, I personally prefer a DPAD with grooves, so I can do my forward jumps, back jumps, crouches and srk motions easily. Snake seems to be ok with it, but I guess we shall see when more persons get their hands on this circular pad.

Wallach

The one thing I like about the FC4 is that we can have all 8 buttons on the right of the pad. Is it possible with the Madcatz ?

MarkMan could say for certain, but I am pretty sure I saw somewhere that they do have a switch to swap both L2 and R2 to the right side.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
MarkMan could say for certain, but I am pretty sure I saw somewhere that they do have a switch to swap both L2 and R2 to the right side.

Yes the function control switch will allow all eight buttons to be accessed on the right side.

That fight pad looks sexy. I bet it'd work pleasantly with other 2d games like Axiom Verge and Shovel Knight. I just hope the D-pad feels good. I didn't like the one on my Chun-Li one from last generation.

I've been playing/testing other games with the FightPad PRO, namely Castlevania SOTN (PS3 via PSOne Classics), RE1 HD on PS4 just to test it as much as I can and beat it up as much as I can. It's holding up well. I really need to stream/show off the controller via Twitch/YouTube when I have a chance. I only had time to do a TEKKEN and USFIV video when I had the initial samples ready.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I really wish someone would make wireless sticks. Not all of us care about an extra millisecond or two of input lag. I'll never let go of my Tekken 6 Wireless 360 stick.

Neoxon

Might have already been answered, but is the Alpha a stock parts stick, and if so is it easy to throw Sanwa parts in?
I recall the folks at Mad Catz saying that you can back at PlayStation Experience, but MarkMan would probably have a more finite answer. But to my memory, yes you can.

iluvgames

Banned
The X-Arcade post was great. Thanks for that.

In regards to EU web store preorders, they'll go up just before they launch. If I were to give a guesstimate, It would probably be early February.

Looking forward to sharing more details with you all in the coming weeks. There's a lot of things about the products that aren't known yet :D

please for the love of god have plently of stock for the UK/EU PLEASEEEE

that shadowloo stick is the SEX !

Astarte

2player3.jpg

If your goal was to generate laughter from. Me you got that in spades

LordK

Don't think im gonna get this

Last gen's fightpad was a piece of shit

Yeah I had two launch ones and the dpads both got screwed up within about a month and one had a button that just stopped working. I hear they got better later, but screw it I'm not giving them money again.

Durden77

I wish I wouldn't have bought the TE 2 when I did. The plastic on top is horrible. Wiggles and gets moisture all under it. And no touch pad funtions is going to make some things a pain in the ass. Should've returned it, but it's too late now.

Patience is a virtue my friends.

Doosi

Banned
Yeah I had two launch ones and the dpads both got screwed up within about a month and one had a button that just stopped working. I hear they got better later, but screw it I'm not giving them money again.

How hard is it to rip off the sega saturn controller? Add an analogue stick if needed. I don't get why madcatz is trying to reinvent the fightpad

The saturn controller still feels better than all other 2d fightpads on the market

Thoughts markman?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I wish I wouldn't have bought the TE 2 when I did. The plastic on top is horrible. Wiggles and gets moisture all under it. And no touch pad funtions is going to make some things a pain in the ass. Should've returned it, but it's too late now.

Patience is a virtue my friends.

the SF V betas have been an exercise in frustration for me, but reading this it's all worth it... the TES+ looks so good....

DD-11

Has there been any word on when they'll ship the sticks? I have both on order(not sure if I'll keep one or both), and it'd be nice to have the stick for launch. If they release the sticks to Amazon on the 16th, it'll be a week before I get mine.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Has there been any word on when they'll ship the sticks? I have both on order(not sure if I'll keep one or both), and it'd be nice to have the stick for launch. If they release the sticks to Amazon on the 16th, it'll be a week before I get mine.

it's a damn shame they won't release the sticks early...

these betas are useless to me without a PS4 stick and i had to pay up for overnight shipping so i can play SF V on release week -_-

DD-11

it's a damn shame they won't release the sticks early...

these betas are useless to me without a PS4 stick and i had to pay up for overnight shipping so i can play SF V on release week -_-

So it's confirmed that they'll release on the 16th? That's some stupid shit. Especially since we've had no word if last Gen sticks will work.

JayEH

For those wondering it seems like gamestop.com is shipping orders on the 9th. I might order from there if that's the case.

Top Bottom