• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madcatz reveal Street Fighter V Arcade Sticks and Fight Pad

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
MarkMan - or anyone who knows - will the standard Sanwa 30mm button plugs with the TES+?

They worked fine on my OG TE, so I assume they'll work with the new ones too.

http://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-obsm-30mm-button-cap-hole-plug-black/

So it's confirmed that they'll release on the 16th? That's some stupid shit. Especially since we've had no word if last Gen sticks will work.

nothing's confirmed, i'm just assuming the worst -_-

For those wondering it seems like gamestop.com is shipping orders on the 9th. I might order from there if that's the case.

oh plz amazon do me solid here

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
MarkMan said the MadCatz fightpads surpassed the Sega Saturn pads back during their launch.

Where did I state that? I said we referenced some points of the design. I don't ever recall saying that any Mad Catz product has surpassed another product.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Also, I'll have information on shipping/timing soon. There's a lot of moving parts once we receive our shipment (still has to go out to fulfillment centers for GameStop/Amazon, etc.) before going out to customers.

I will say this, if you preordered, you'll get yours from the first batch (as it should be).

jon bones

Also, I'll have information on shipping/timing soon. There's a lot of moving parts once we receive our shipment (still has to go out to fulfillment centers for GameStop/Amazon, etc.) before going out to customers.

I will say this, if you preordered, you'll get yours from the first batch (as it should be).

high five!

any thoughts to my question RE: sanwa 30mm button plugs fitting into the TES+ holes?

i turned my OG TE to a 6 button that way and will want to do that to my new TES+ as well

b3b0p

Not sure if I missed this, but considering the increase in price from previous sticks, is the build quality / parts used also improved comparatively? That is, is the price increase justified instead of "inflation" excuse?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
How hard is it to rip off the sega saturn controller? Add an analogue stick if needed. I don't get why madcatz is trying to reinvent the fightpad

The saturn controller still feels better than all other 2d fightpads on the market

Thoughts markman?

First and foremost, if we could 'rip off' a design of a first party controller with the exact feel, we'd probably get in trouble. Also, much like arcade sticks, fightpads/dpads are a matter of preference. Some people like the Saturn dpads, some don't.

I think they're great for 2D games, but horrible for 3D games. But that's just my experience/preference.

We're doing our own solution because it is OUR product. That's how it should be. If Sega / SLS (now defunct) wanted to bring back their tool/manufacturing and release a Saturn pad again, then I'm sure that would make many others happy. But since they haven't, I'll assume it's not their priority.

I am a fan of controllers, even before I worked/designed things at Mad Catz. So of course I know all about the Saturn controller (and every controller in between). If you really want to use a Japanese Saturn/Model II Saturn controller, you can make it happen (anything can happen with mods nowadays).

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
high five!

any thoughts to my question RE: sanwa 30mm button plugs fitting into the TES+ holes?

i turned my OG TE to a 6 button that way and will want to do that to my new TES+ as well

They are still standard 30mm holes, so yes it will support button plugs.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Not sure if I missed this, but considering the increase in price from previous sticks, is the build quality / parts used also improved comparatively? That is, is the price increase justified instead of "inflation" excuse?

It's more than just improving the overall build quality. With each iteration of products, there are new business deals in place. Licensing/royalties to both the IP holders and first party. This is the nature of the business nowadays.

CO_Andy

Where did I state that? I said we referenced some points of the design. I don't ever recall saying that any Mad Catz product has surpassed another product.
On NeoGAF. Where else? I also remember you calling Street Fighter 4 "dumb."

Not holding anything against you, man. SF4 does have some dumb design.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
On NeoGAF. Where else? I also remember you calling Street Fighter 4 "dumb."

Not holding anything against you, man. SF4 does have some dumb design.

Let me know if you find the post stating that the Mad Catz FightPad has 'surpassed' the Sega Saturn pad.

But yeah, I didn't like SF4, that's why I didn't play it.

HF2014

Used in the past to have bought some madcatz stuff, do they still have the reputation of being call Madcrap? Cause for me, all the controller i bought broke, and working in a videogame store in the past, we were receiving tons of return on their product. Did their quality improved to have survived that long?

jon bones

Used in the past to have bought some madcatz stuff, do they still have the reputation of being call Madcrap? Cause for me, all the controller i bought broke, and working in a videogame store in the past, we were receiving tons of return on their product. Did their quality improved to have survived that long?

yeah the company started putting out super high quality arcade sticks like 8 years ago when Sf 4 launched and it turned their reputation around.

now they've got some of the best stuff on the market if you've got the money and are interested in fighting games.

@Wreck

Man every time MarkMan introduces a new line of sticks I always imagine him chipping in and assembling them himself. And secretly signing his name in there with a gold marker kinda like how the macs used to be with no hard drive.

Grifter

yeah the company started putting out super high quality arcade sticks like 8 years ago when Sf 4 launched and it turned their reputation around.

now they've got some of the best stuff on the market if you've got the money and are interested in fighting games.

are their non-fighter-related peripherals better now too? i had a mouse of theirs from one of their sf4 events that i hated, but i'm told the newer revisions there are much better.

they were the acclaim of peripherals before markman showed up and they tapped into the fighter market. ascii becoming unavailable in our market and the widespread availability of pelican controllers led to some dark days.

jon bones

are their non-fighter-related peripherals better now too? i had a mouse of theirs from one of their sf4 events that i hated, but i'm told the newer revisions there are much better.

they were the acclaim of peripherals before markman showed up and they tapped into the fighter market. ascii becoming unavailable in our market and the widespread availability of pelican controllers led to some dark days.

i've not used any of their peripherals, sorry.

my friends & i did love my OG TE stick so much all my boys went out and bought one for themselves. 8 years of hard use later and they all still work flawlessly.

i can't wait to get my TES+ in the mail from Amazon...

Hey MarkMan, two questions:

1. Is pre-ordering now still a safe bet for getting a stick (TE2+) in the first shipment?

2. Do you know if Gamestops are getting sticks in their brick and mortar stores or just through online?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
So MarkMan, for the new pads, have you had any of pros test them out and give you feedback? Just curious.

Yes. At the Mad Catz V Cup event, lots of the players used it and said positive things about it. I'm a big fan of them now (moreso now that I've gotten used to it) and can pull off some really wicked stuff on em.

Sure, touchpad seems like a great trade off for input lag

Just so you know, EVEN with the touchpad, the new range of Mad Catz SFV products perform as well/if not better than our existing FightSticks/products. I'll let the guys that love testing that kind of stuff geek out about it when they're released next month.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Hey MarkMan, two questions:

1. Is pre-ordering now still a safe bet for getting a stick (TE2+) in the first shipment?

2. Do you know if Gamestops are getting sticks in their brick and mortar stores or just through online?

I would preorder through the Mad Catz store just in case. We've presold LOTS of FightSticks and want to make sure everyone who ordered one early is able to get theirs prior to launch.

GameStop B&M stores? Not sure. I know some of them did preorders, but unsure how they are going to distribute the rest of their product -- ie which stores get them, etc.

JJD

Hey Markman, when you're using R1 and R2 on the front can you assign other actions to the triggers? Like can I put the face R1 and R2 to be Strong Punch and Strong Kick and the triggers R1 and R2 to PPP and KKK?

Any idea where's the best place to import some madcatz gear? Amazon likes to charge custom taxes and I think I wouldn't be taxed so I don't want to pay then upfront.

Thanks man!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have the SFIV TE stick back at launch. I kinda want to get back into using a stick. The Alpha seems like a cheap way to go, but then again I feel like I'd benefit much more having a TE.

The Alpha looks good, but is it too small for larger people?
I don't know just yet.

I would preorder through the Mad Catz store just in case. We've presold LOTS of FightSticks and want to make sure everyone who ordered one early is able to get theirs prior to launch.

GameStop B&M stores? Not sure. I know some of them did preorders, but unsure how they are going to distribute the rest of their product -- ie which stores get them, etc.

oh no, looks like I'm too late, the madcatz store already says any new preorders aren't shipping until march

FoxSpirit

This makes me glad I still have my HRAP2 with USB adapter. That thing cost 120 bucks many years ago with full Sanwa.

Voror

So would the Alpha be good for someone wanting to get into fighting games and learn a stick without necessarily going all in for something like the TE series? Or would it be better to just go for those?

This makes me glad I still have my HRAP2 with USB adapter. That thing cost 120 bucks many years ago with full Sanwa.
Makes me glad I still have my original SFIV TE stick (got it on sale for $80) and that I chose to get the game on 360 instead of PS3 because it works on PC flawlessly.

I just swapped out to an octagon gate and I'm ready for SFV.

Renekton

If my HRAP3 still refuses to work with W10+SFV, I'm gonna get one of these TEs.

And the only reason I got Steam version was to avoid buying new stick.

Anastasis

Makes me glad I still have my original SFIV TE stick (got it on sale for $80) and that I chose to get the game on 360 instead of PS3 because it works on PC flawlessly.

I just swapped out to an octagon gate and I'm ready for SFV.

I should have hung onto mine. What was I thinking?

zoobzone

If my HRAP3 still refuses to work with W10+SFV, I'm gonna get one of these TEs.

And the only reason I got Steam version was to avoid buying new stick.

Isn't it a SFV beta problem that none of the Playstation sticks are working? My TE2 still don't work.

I've been through so many of the SFxTK and especially the SF4 pads, and still ended up playing with a regular controller because of the low durability. Hope to see some good reports on these come June or July

I've been through so many of the SFxTK and especially the SF4 pads, and still ended up playing with a regular controller because of the low durability. Hope to see some good reports on these come June or July
I have two of the SFIV pads but never used them to the point of wear.

Out of curiosity, what is it that has broken on yours?

I have two of the SFIV pads but never used them to the point of wear.

Out of curiosity, what is it that has broken on yours?

So many to name, but I've had buttons and directions 'wear' on SF4 and SFxTK pads within a few months. One SF4 had the dpad snap cleanly off. Right now I use a Hori PS3 controller and a multiconsole switch, but the setup is not ideal.

So, I know the sticks are sold-out for a launch allocation on Mad Catz' site. But if I pre-order on Amazon, could I still get a TES+ stick on the 16th?

Wallach

Isn't it a SFV beta problem that none of the Playstation sticks are working? My TE2 still don't work.

Yeah. The PC betas so far have had no native support for DirectInput devices. You can make them work with an XInput wrapper, though I think that is a pretty wack solution and hopefully is getting addressed for the final release.

Coda

A friend of mine received his Brooks adapter yesterday and says it works perfectly.

I've ordered now too.

If you're on PS4 you'll need to keep updating the firmware for it though. Sony keeps making updates to PS4 that make the adapter time out.

Top Bottom