• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madcatz reveal Street Fighter V Arcade Sticks and Fight Pad

Luigi87

It's a good thing that SFV is PS3 stick compatible. Being said I still want a PS4 centric stick because there's no guarantee other games going forward will be (IE: Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator)

ScOULaris

I turned my volume way up and don't hear squeaks, what am I missing O_O
Listen to 1:22-1:27 when he's shifting the stick around in his hands. You'll clearly hear the creaks and squeaks. Exactly the same as with the original model when putting any pressure on the sides where the top half meets the bottom of the stick.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
It's a good thing that SFV is PS3 stick compatible. Being said I still want a PS4 centric stick because there's no guarantee other games going forward will be (IE: Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator)

Yeah, that's how I take it. Finding this out, about PS3 compatibility, just means I will seek out a used Fightstick Pro or the OG SE stick, since for the latter I have spare Sanwa parts lying around to mod it. Eventually though, I will definitely drop $$$ on a PS4-only stick, especially cuz they look so damn good. By then, hopefully availability will be quick and easy.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
So with the news that SFV takes PS3 sticks, I'm getting a stick in the mean time.

For me it's down to these three. I know they're all sanwa. I'm not sure which to get but I'm leaning on the cheapest. It will be my first stick.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038KMOXK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FC1UH82/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M25AY6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I can only vouch for the Fightstick Pro since I have the 360 one. I love it. It's my one and only "big" Madcatz stick, all the others I have are the smaller SE ones, which I also love. But I really liked the size on this, was perfect, not too massive, and a great form factor imo. Easy access to mod, just not as easy as recent sticks of course. But pretty damn easy. Dropped the Hayabusa in there, straight swap. And yes, I am pimping the Hayabusa hard today!! 😊

Edit: Pricing is rough on it, my 360 one was $99 off Amazon!

Listen to 1:22-1:27 when he's shifting the stick around in his hands. You'll clearly hear the creaks and squeaks. Exactly the same as with the original model when putting any pressure on the sides where the top half meets the bottom of the stick.

Oh crap you are right... what the. I assume it's mad squeaky when you're actually playing then?

ScOULaris

Oh crap you are right... what the. I assume it's mad squeaky when you're actually playing then?
It's not really an issue while playing, but it definitely adds to the feeling of the stick seeming less polished and premium than it should. Whenever you're picking up the stick or taking it off of your lap is when it will squeak. It's just a minor thing, I suppose, but it's a shame it wasn't fixed given all the hype about more expensive materials being used this time around, hence justifying the $30 increase in price.

cordy

Banned
Question,

Just got my first stick, it was the Chun-Li TE2. Anyway, the handle's a bit loose. It's not firm, is this supposed to happen?

Thanks for the responses.

Cordy do you mean the ball top on the stick?

You can tighten the stick by adjusting the screw on the inside, open the cover, which might help. however the ball top might always be loose in the sense it might spin/turn just a touch as you hold it. It should not be wobbly or loose in the sense you are fighting to hold your hand or finger position in place. I hope that makes sense.

Otherwise sanwa jlf sticks are more loose or what we call sensitive and they also don't spring back to neutral position very fast. Lookup the Korean stick 303-fk to see if that's what a tighter stick looks like for you

uhhh

what

mad catz hosted a tourny because it's good marketing, not some weird gift from up on high

"knowledge on V tech for FREE"

yikes
Okay so I help run Final Round every year and not to put too fine of a point on this but you don't know what the fuck you are talking about. What you're saying is incredibly jaded and that kind of attitude is a cancer to the competitive scene because no one thinks anyone is doing anything for the love of something but instead so they can get paid. Mad Catz and especially Markman, do what they do for the community because they love the FGC and it's good business to support the communities that have supported you. They've opened up a market that was extremely niche, they support pretty much every tournament out there and support streams. Steams so scrubs like you have something to watch. They do a lot for the FGC and they deserve more credit than what you and that other clown are giving them.

cwistofu

Apparently from Nov 2015 onwards they were fixed in all models of the TE2. This includes

TE2 (the blue one for PS3/PS4)
TE2 Chun Li
TE2+

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194649746&postcount=1193
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194651033&postcount=1195

Now what I wanna know - is the TE2+ BODY any different to the original TE2 - aside from the touchpad and R3/L3 ?
Didn't MM say they were gonna sell the new plexiglass separately for chumps like me? Or am i making stuff up

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
It's not really an issue while playing, but it definitely adds to the feeling of the stick seeming less polished and premium than it should. Whenever you're picking up the stick or taking it off of your lap is when it will squeak. It's just a minor thing, I suppose, but it's a shame it wasn't fixed given all the hype about more expensive materials being used this time around, hence justifying the $30 increase in price.

I just loosened the hinges on my TE2 regular and it fixed all squeaking. You don't really lose much in the process - in fact, I prefer the feel of the door when it can come down without me applying a bunch of pressure.

Okay so I help run Final Round every year and not to put too fine of a point on this but you don't know what the fuck you are talking about. What you're saying is incredibly jaded and that kind of attitude is a cancer to the competitive scene because no one thinks anyone is doing anything for the love of something but instead so they can get paid. Mad Catz and especially Markman, do what they do for the community because they love the FGC and it's good business to support the communities that have supported you. They've opened up a market that was extremely niche, they support pretty much every tournament out there and support streams. Steams so scrubs like you have something to watch. They do a lot for the FGC and they deserve more credit than what you and that other clown are giving them.

We really need an FGC thank you Mark Man and Mad Catz thread. We need to make a card or something cool and sign that shit and send it to Mark Man for all he's done.

Koeta

They have a page for information about the plexi.

http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/index.cfm?loc=about&sub=te2

The original plexi that comes with the TE 2 is 1/8" thick in the center but 1/16" thick along the sides where the border/bezel sits on top. This makes the plexi fit flush with the bezel. While our laser cutting and etching process can reasonably do this, the process is incredibly time consuming and costly. To maintain a more reasonably priced option, we are only offering a 1/16" plexi option. As such it will not fit flush alongside the border.

It's still a good alternative but that is something to keep in mind.

cordy

Banned
Cordy do you mean the ball top on the stick?

You can tighten the stick by adjusting the screw on the inside, open the cover, which might help. however the ball top might always be loose in the sense it might spin/turn just a touch as you hold it. It should not be wobbly or loose in the sense you are fighting to hold your hand or finger position in place. I hope that makes sense.

Otherwise sanwa jlf sticks are more loose or what we call sensitive and they also don't spring back to neutral position very fast. Lookup the Korean stick 303-fk to see if that's what a tighter stick looks like for you

Well, let me explain. I could spin around the plastic of the ball, I could spin around the plastic of the stick under the ball and it's got a little bit of wiggle at neutral but the character doesn't move unless there's a 'click' if that makes any sense.

If it's supposed to be this way then that's fine, just making sure my stick didn't come in defective. Besides that potential issue, it's been great thus far.

Zackat

They have a page for information about the plexi.

http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/index.cfm?loc=about&sub=te2

It's still a good alternative but that is something to keep in mind.

I ordered this and it worked flawlessy for my stick. I have the Mad Catz Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition 2. I am very happy with it. It is completely stationary, no air bubbles. Vast improvement over the first plexi that they provided.

It is good to hear that they have upgraded all that for this next generation of te2's, because the first wave had poor quality of those things imo.

japtor

First Youtube Unboxing/Impressions/Opening of the Fight Stick Alpha

Buttons are indeed soldered on. Wish he played some to give some gameplay impressions though.
Still looks like a relatively easy mod though. Snip or desolder the wires, strip and crimp or solder some new connectors, or just solder straight onto new buttons.
Well, let me explain. I could spin around the plastic of the ball, I could spin around the plastic of the stick under the ball and it's got a little bit of wiggle at neutral but the character doesn't move unless there's a 'click' if that makes any sense.

If it's supposed to be this way then that's fine, just making sure my stick didn't come in defective. Besides that potential issue, it's been great thus far.
Don't have experience with that particular stick, but that's the dead zone, the little open space before it hits the switches (the click). You need at least a little to prevent accidental triggers all the time. The other part of the wiggle is just the physical part, i.e. just moving the stick around away from center (ignoring where it hits the switches here).

There's mods for both things, although I'm not sure what stick is in there so I can't say which particular stuff you can get. To reduce the dead zone there's bigger actuators (the part that hits the switches) so they trigger the switches at a shorter distance. And to tighten the physical stick looseness there's heavier springs that'll increase resistance away from center.

Huggers

That's my vid and yeah there is the same squeak as before. It doesn't bother me at all but it's definitely there. As you say not an issue when playing at all just would have been nicer if it wasn't there.

myco666

Yeah you should be able to spin the ball and the plastic part under the stick is shaft cover which is just a plastic tube around the stick so it should spin also. Sounds it is exactly like it should be.

cordy

Banned
Don't have experience with that particular stick, but that's the dead zone, the little open space before it hits the switches (the click). You need at least a little to prevent accidental triggers all the time. The other part of the wiggle is just the physical part, i.e. just moving the stick around away from center (ignoring where it hits the switches here).

There's mods for both things, although I'm not sure what stick is in there so I can't say which particular stuff you can get. To reduce the dead zone there's bigger actuators (the part that hits the switches) so they trigger the switches at a shorter distance. And to tighten the physical stick looseness there's heavier springs that'll increase resistance away from center.
Yeah you should be able to spin the ball and the plastic part under the stick is shaft cover which is just a plastic tube around the stick so it should spin also. Sounds it is exactly like it should be.

Awesome, thanks for the responses!

RedAssedApe

Banned
Picked up the alpha.

It seems decent so far. I previously owned a te and se but haven't played since ssf4. I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between this and Sanwa without doing a side by side though so keep that in mind. Lol

Been testing on my coffee table and the size doesn't seem like it's going to be an issue for me as my hands rest comfortably and are small enough where they don't really extend much beyond the width.

The pads on the bottom do a good job of keeping it from moving around on the table despite its low weight.

The only game I could try was injustice. So it's hard for me to say if I noticed anything off on how the buttons and stick played. That game just feels janky to me and I could never get used to the timing of jumping and dial a combos.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

ah now there's that warm, welcoming attitude we've all come to expect from 'hardcore gaming communities'

i dont know what "that other clown" is referring to, fyi, but in your eagerness to freak out and call my attitude a cancer you missed the part where i actually agreed with you:

it certainly earns them goodwill in the community, which - as others have said - they've done a lot of since sfiv

at the end of the day MC is a publicly traded company. i don't know how to run a big tourny but i know what it takes for big decisions to be made on behalf of shareholders and "the love of the game" is rarely one of them.

get some perspective and more chill, yall

amnesiac

Hmm so it sounds like PS3 compatibility is more of a workaround rather than 100% support. The 8 minute verification and DS4 requirement and the fact that you have to play a game with the specific driver makes me a bit wary, which is why I'm keeping my TES+ order from Newegg from now.

The order limit from Newegg has gone down from 5 to 2 so it seems like they are managing stock.

Hoping the price tanks a bit on Amazon after a while, got my PS3 TE1 when that happened. Got a HRAP4 Kai for now but the face not tall enough for my liking, wrist grinds on the edge where it slopes.

Raitaro

Picked up the alpha.

It seems decent so far. I previously owned a te and se but haven't played since ssf4. I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between this and Sanwa without doing a side by side though so keep that in mind. Lol

Been testing on my coffee table and the size doesn't seem like it's going to be an issue for me as my hands rest comfortably and are small enough where they don't really extend much beyond the width.

The pads on the bottom do a good job of keeping it from moving around on the table despite its low weight.

The only game I could try was injustice. So it's hard for me to say if I noticed anything off on how the buttons and stick played. That game just feels janky to me and I could never get used to the timing of jumping and dial a combos.

Cheers for the write-up. It sounds like a decent purchase.

Edit: one follow-up question if I may: how loud are the buttons? With a newborn this has become a bigger consideration than before, and I'll probably not be able to put in quieter buttons myself. Are they by any chance less noisy than normal TE / Hori sticks?

vg260

People get what you're saying but this sort of delivery doesn't really help the unwelcoming/hostile image fighting game communities have.

Picked up the alpha.

Thanks for the impressions. Can you post the dimensions of the stick? I wonder how it compares to the old Namco PS1 stick.

ScOULaris

I just loosened the hinges on my TE2 regular and it fixed all squeaking. You don't really lose much in the process - in fact, I prefer the feel of the door when it can come down without me applying a bunch of pressure.
Hm. I'll definitely try that out. I'd like to get rid of the squeaking.

Pompadour

Has anybody's Amazon order updated from Pre-Ordered status yet? Ordered the TE2+ and the FightPad Pro on Dec 3rd.

Some people posted that they received emails saying their orders were delayed. They might have been Canadians only, however. It seems like Mad Catz may be prioritizing them last due to how a lot of preorders were locked into a super low price due to an error.

That's just speculation, though.

Has anybody's Amazon order updated from Pre-Ordered status yet? Ordered the TE2+ and the FightPad Pro on Dec 3rd.

Here's what I gather so far:

It looks like a lot of people who ordered from Amazon.com are getting some order status updates. People who ordred from Amazon.ca have nothing yet and customer service has no updates for them.

From what I can tell, people who ordered from MadCatz in UK are already getting their sticks before launch (they pre-ordered late and are getting their sticks early).

I pre-ordred from Amazon.ca in December and have no shipping date update and custom service has no updates for me.

BadWolf

Some people posted that they received emails saying their orders were delayed. They might have been Canadians only, however. It seems like Mad Catz may be prioritizing them last due to how a lot of preorders were locked into a super low price due to an error.

That's just speculation, though.

I'm Canadian and still haven't had the date updated, just says they need more time for an estimate.

Top Bottom