• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madcatz reveal Street Fighter V Arcade Sticks and Fight Pad

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Its ridiculous that they charge $60 for that fight pad and it doesn't include a jack for headphone/mic like standard PS4 controllers.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

JJD

Damn...shameful.

Thankfully I bought the non rotating hora fighting commander.

So which Hori pad would you guys recommend?
http://www.play-asia.com/fighting-commander-for-playstation-4-playstation-3/13/709efx

or this?

http://www.play-asia.com/fighting-commander-4/13/708jrd

I really don't care about rotating dpad but the the pro controller seems more comfortable.

http://www.play-asia.com/fighting-commander-for-playstation-4-playstation-3/13/709efx

This is the one I've bought from Play Asia too. Seems like the rotating mechanism on the Fight Commander 4 can break and makes the pad useless. Some people said that you can glue the rotating mechanism and avoid issues.

I just bought the one without that "feature". Most reviews I've seen say that the pad is good, the most common criticism is that it's too light and it feels kinda hollow.

Yet I've seen a review saying the exact opposite.

Link? I've yet to see a good review besides that one from LTG.

Chucker

Its ridiculous that they charge $60 for that fight pad and it doesn't include a jack for headphone/mic like standard PS4 controllers.

I like how the only justification I've seen for it is that "other fighting controllers in the market don't offer it".

Be the one, Mad Catz, be the one.

Fitts

This is the one I've bought from Play Asia too. Seems like the rotating mechanism on the Fight Commander 4 can break and makes the pad useless. Some people said that you can glue the rotating mechanism and avoid issues.

I used a small flat head screwdriver to crank the wheel into the locked position as far as I could. Given I haven't put many hours on it, but I doubt it's going anywhere.

SkylineRKR

I'm going to guess the answer is yes, but they're going for close to $150 when you can find one on eBay. The versions you see on Amazon and elsewhere are knockoffs...avoid at all costs.

I expected no, which is why I bought a Hori.

I guess i'm wiser by tomorrow or the day after. Either way, if the Hori's about as good that means it has PS buttons to go for it at least.

DrDogg

I tried out my friend's Alpha stick. The size does take some getting used to when playing on your lap. I normally use a TES on my lap without issues, but playing with the Alpha I definitely needed a few minutes to adjust to the smaller size. Once I adjusted, it was fine.

You can tell it's not Sanwa buttons, but these buttons feel better than what I remember from the old SE sticks back around the SF4 launch. It's been forever since I used any of those sticks, so I could just have bad memory, but the buttons on the Alpha don't feel bad. I think people could probably get away with not modding if they didn't want to deal with the hassle.

I was switching back and forth between my dual-modded 360 TES and the Alpha, and while there is a difference in the buttons and stick (obviously), I could still do everything I needed to execution-wise.

I'll be playing more with it today, and will try to have a full review Monday or Tuesday.

ElTopo

Banned
So which Hori pad would you guys recommend?

or this?

http://www.play-asia.com/fighting-commander-4/13/708jrd

I really don't care about rotating dpad but the the pro controller seems more comfortable.

Get the top one: http://www.play-asia.com/fighting-commander-for-playstation-4-playstation-3/13/709efx

Xinput, $20 cheaper, great controller. I don't understand the criticism that it's "light" as it's no lighter than a PS3 or PS4 pad. Seems like dudes are reaching and just want to say something negative about it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I tried out my friend's Alpha stick. The size does take some getting used to when playing on your lap. I normally use a TES on my lap without issues, but playing with the Alpha I definitely needed a few minutes to adjust to the smaller size. Once I adjusted, it was fine.

You can tell it's not Sanwa buttons, but these buttons feel better than what I remember from the old SE sticks back around the SF4 launch. It's been forever since I used any of those sticks, so I could just have bad memory, but the buttons on the Alpha don't feel bad. I think people could probably get away with not modding if they didn't want to deal with the hassle.

I was switching back and forth between my dual-modded 360 TES and the Alpha, and while there is a difference in the buttons and stick (obviously), I could still do everything I needed to execution-wise.

I'll be playing more with it today, and will try to have a full review Monday or Tuesday.

same thoughts here. the feel of the stick and buttons were at least equal to if not better than the old SE stick.

kurahadol

I'm going to guess the answer is yes, but they're going for close to $150 when you can find one on eBay. The versions you see on Amazon and elsewhere are knockoffs...avoid at all costs.
The reason I asked is because I have one, had no idea they were worth that much at this point, have had it for a few years, been collecting dust.

Bii

I preordered the TES+ on Amazon.com on Jan 28th (two days after their possible delay cutoff date), and just got a shipping confirmation for delivery on Feb 18th. :)

Still no word on my TE2+ I preordered at the same time. Might just cancel it since I only need one stick.

Still haven't gotten a shipping update or been charged for my te2+ order from Amazon.com. At this point if it doesn't happen tonight or tomorrow I am probably going to be screwed. Ordered Dec. 3rd by the way. I live pretty close to a carrier so I am hoping it's just because it doesn't take long from fulfillment center to get to me that nothing has been updated.

obvious_zpscknj5ydz.jpg

Admittedly the black socks might not have anything to do with the sticky controller.

Still haven't gotten a shipping update or been charged for my te2+ order from Amazon.com. At this point if it doesn't happen tonight or tomorrow I am probably going to be screwed. Ordered Dec. 3rd by the way. I live pretty close to a carrier so I am hoping it's just because it doesn't take long from fulfillment center to get to me that nothing has been updated.

I think you are fine, same situation and I was told not to worry by the Amazon rep

SOLDIER

Any concrete impressions yet on the TES+? I'm debating whether to cancel my pre-order before reading more reviews, and the investment may be out of my price range at the moment.

And to double-check, there are no converters or anything that let me use the Xbox 360 TE stick on the PS4?

Finally, what would the best fight pad alternative be? I really liked the SFIV Madcatz Fight Pads, and might be able to do better with that then I would with a stick.

Asd202

Top one. I am going to get it this week as well.

From what I heard, the bottom one D-pad tends to break because of rotation. Plus, it looks like an abortion. I can understand the claw gameplay reasons, its how I used to play on PS1. But still, I could do that just as easily on Saturn.

I just bought the one without that "feature". Most reviews I've seen say that the pad is good, the most common criticism is that it's too light and it feels kinda hollow.

Get the top one: http://www.play-asia.com/fighting-commander-for-playstation-4-playstation-3/13/709efx

Xinput, $20 cheaper, great controller. I don't understand the criticism that it's "light" as it's no lighter than a PS3 or PS4 pad. Seems like dudes are reaching and just want to say something negative about it.

Thanks guys :)

I'll be waiting for your full review :).

C-Sword

Any concrete impressions yet on the TES+? I'm debating whether to cancel my pre-order before reading more reviews, and the investment may be out of my price range at the moment.

And to double-check, there are no converters or anything that let me use the Xbox 360 TE stick on the PS4?

Finally, what would the best fight pad alternative be? I really liked the SFIV Madcatz Fight Pads, and might be able to do better with that then I would with a stick.

Brook Xbox 360/Xbox One to PS4

Crisium

Got my Japanese Hori Fighting Commander today. I prefer its d-pad to the FC4, but it's still not as good as my Saturn d-pad. I'm so hesitant to try the Fight Pad, especially at $60, so I'll use the JPN Hori FC for now until I can try using someone else's Fight Pad eventually.

SOLDIER

This one is Xbox 360 only, no Xbox One. It works great.

Thanks. I cancelled the fight stick order from Amazon and ordered this adapter. My original fightstick is an Xbox 360 one, so if there's no performance difference then there's no reason for me to get the 360/XB1 to PS4 converter (which is out of stock anyway).

Does the TE2+ come stock with an octogon?

Also, can I make my ps3 tournament stick work with SFV somehow?

I don't have a MadCatz stick, but I assume it comes with a square gate for the joystick

SF5 is supposed to support PS3 sticks on PS4, so you should be good there

ElTopo

Banned
25 years ago Nintendo and Sega already made dpads that lasted years. Why can't MadCatz? I'm really disappoint.

My guess? Madcatz still bottom tier when it comes to peripherals. In everyone else's case, my guess is that it's planned obsolescence and make you buy a new controller every 2 years.

Got my Japanese Hori Fighting Commander today. I prefer its d-pad to the FC4, but it's still not as good as my Saturn d-pad. I'm so hesitant to try the Fight Pad, especially at $60, so I'll use the JPN Hori FC for now until I can try using someone else's Fight Pad eventually.

Are you PC or PS4? If you're PC, Capcom is planning on patching in Direct Input. If you're PS4 I think there's converters for a Saturn pad to PS3.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I don't have a MadCatz stick, but I assume it comes with a square gate for the joystick

SF5 is supposed to support PS3 sticks on PS4, so you should be good there

Yep, it's square gate. All their sticks are. But it's super easy to pop on an Sanway octagonal gate. Especially on the TE2/TE2+ since they just flip right open and the gates just snap on and off.

I popped one on my Chun Li TE2 as soon as I got it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AU0H4U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Pompadour

Are there any TES+ reviews out there? I'm sure it's perfectly fine but the issues with the pads are making a little worried about MadCatz's general production quality.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Octagon>>>Square?

Personal preference of course.

I like having notches for all 8 directions and it helps a ton with my inputs. Others prefer square. In the US we're more used to octagonal as that's been more typical in arcades and past sticks. In other regions square is more typical.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any TES+ reviews out there? I'm sure it's perfectly fine but the issues with the pads are making a little worried about MadCatz's general production quality.

It has the same Sanwa stick and buttons as the TE2/TE2+ so there should be nothing to worry about as those are top of the line.

jwhit28

I have a broken stick 360 Fightstick SE lying around. I think I'm just gonna replace the stick and buttons and hold on until the next round of arcade stick releases. I need something that will be PC and PS4 eventually to take to tournaments.

Raitaro

same thoughts here. the feel of the stick and buttons were at least equal to if not better than the old SE stick.

Stick-noob question: is it common for motions like fireballs not to come out 100% reliably on one side of the screen because of me getting used to a stick, or could there actually be something wrong with my Alpha?

Like I said in an earlier post, it seems I can't get (for example) Tatsu's to come out all the time going from down to the left while I have no such problem doing it from down to the right while standing on the right side of the screen. Either this is due to my wrist movements or the stick itself is not as responsive in this "area" as in the rest.

Can you or anyone else here tell me if such a fault can actually be possible, or if I should stick with it (no pun intended) and try to get used to this by improving my execution? Do the Alpha sticks that you guys have, have similar (")problems(") at all?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Stick-noob question: is it common for motions like fireballs not to come out 100% reliably on one side of the screen because of things like getting used to a stick, or could there actually be something wrong with my Alpha?

Like I said in an earlier post, it seems I can't get (for example) Tatsu's to come out all the time going from down to the left while I have no such problem doing it from down to the right while standing on the right side of the screen. Either this is due to my wrist movements or the stick itself is not as responsive in this "area" as in the rest.

Can you or anyone else here tell me if such a fault can actually be possible, or if I should stick with it (no pun intended) and try to get used to this by improving my execution? Do the Alpha sticks that you guys have, have similar (")problems(") at all?

Go into training mode and turn on the option to show inputs. Then you can see what's not registering and whether it's your motion or the stick not picking up something on one side.

jwhit28

Stick-noob question: is it common for motions like fireballs not to come out 100% reliably on one side of the screen because of things like getting used to a stick, or could there actually be something wrong with my Alpha?

I don't know about the Alpha, but I switched to stick because I had trouble doing Quartercircle Left on dpads. You might just have to put in the time and see if you get any better. When I first switched to stick I had trouble with quartercircles both directions. I got so mad I just switched to playing Balrog, but eventually I went back, put in the time, and no problems since.

Stick-noob question: is it common for motions like fireballs not to come out 100% reliably on one side of the screen because of me getting used to a stick, or could there actually be something wrong with my Alpha?

How are you holding the stick? Most people have an easier time going to the left than the right so I can only assume you reassess how you are holding the stick as most execution errors come from that as well as not being used to using a stick.

smurfx

get some go again
alright so i officially went with the hori non rotating d-pad control. hopefully i adjust to it pretty well.

Octagon>>>Square?
It's all preference. I play with a square gate and I've never had any issues myself.
Go into training mode and turn on the option to show inputs. Then you can see what's not registering and whether it's your motion or the stick not picking up something on one side.

Yeah, check to see if it's registering or not. If the Alpha uses the same joystick as the SE did years ago, then it could definitely be a busted stick. My SE had a broken joystick out of the box and wouldn't register down-forward inputs. Had to swap in a Sanwa JLF.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

It's been a long time since I used a stick but I was definitely not equally consistent executing motions on both sides of the screen. I think it's pretty common. But yeah, checking your inputs in training mode is a good idea.

Top Bottom