• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madcatz reveal Street Fighter V Arcade Sticks and Fight Pad

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Any place in europe selling that hori fighting commander pad?

R-User!

!

Ordered Jan. 24th Amazon.com

If your comfortable answering, then a quick question:

You in United States?

What region? West Coast, Midwest, or East Coast?

I wanna talk to Amazon about upgrading my order to release date delivery, and if your in the U.S., and in the same region, I don't see why Amazon wouldn't discount my order if they couldn't adjust my order to release/arrive on the 16th.

Thanks for whatever info you're willing to share...

fade_

If your comfortable answering, then a quick question:

You in United States?

What region? West Coast, Midwest, or East Coast?

I wanna talk to Amazon about upgrading my order to release date delivery, and if your in the U.S., and in the same region, I don't see why Amazon wouldn't discount my order if they couldn't adjust my order to release/arrive on the 16th.

Thanks for whatever info you're willing to share...

I ordered mine in early december and it'sstill saying not shipped so I contacted Amazon and they said to not worry and that their system just has not updated all the orders yet and it will still be delivered on release day. I'm guessing the ones who haven't shipped yet are ones that can be shipped overnight without extra cost to them? Either that or I just got bullshitted. No idea. I did just check on the order now and it says preparing for shipment so you might want to contact them. I pasted Koeta's email about his getting upgraded to release day delivery in the chat too so thanks Koeta =P

Flowmoney

Anyone think that the Madcatz Fightpad will recieve a revision with a better d-pad? Thing looks cool but thats it with being premium controller.

FSLink

Banned
Much like everything, it's about preference, but for some people it's easier to hit certain inputs (like quarter circles) with an octagon. I think generally though for some square is better for charge characters.

I will say that generally people who prefer octagon are users who like to ride the gate. It's personal preference, but I see some people rush out to get an octagon gate when what they should really be doing is cleaning up their inputs and not ride the gate.

There's also the benefit of square gate being really easy to use charge characters + being able to easily borrow a stick or lend a stick since the majority of people use square.

I will say that generally people who prefer octagon are users who like to ride the gate. It's personal preference, but I see some people rush out to get an octagon gate when what they should really be doing is cleaning up their inputs and not ride the gate.

There's also the benefit of square gate being really easy to use charge characters + being able to easily borrow a stick or lend a stick since the majority of people use square.

Ride the gate?

Raitaro

Check out the arcade stick basics from gootecks. It is a pretty decent video that should help you get more accustomed to stick use. It's better to learn the right way now then form bad habits. I don't have a link on hand at the moment but it is called the basics of using a fightstick. I am 99% sure it is not a stick issue.

I will definitely! Had them on my to do list already, in fact, but thanks for the reminder.

The Madcatz SFV sticks are direct input only. They're plug and play with any PC fighting game that supports direct input controllers, such as Street Fighter IV. Plenty of PC fighting games support direct input controllers. At launch the PC version of SFV will only support X-Input controllers, but Capcom has mentioned that they are working on a patch to allow Direct Input controllers in SFV on PC, and madcatz has mentioned that they are working on a patch or drivers to enable X-Input in their SFV sticks.

This is true for ALL native PS4 FightSticks/controllers.

The exception is the new Hori controllers that have a physical switch for x-input mode support.

Ok, sorry for returning to this topic once more, but after reading some of the other responses that mention things like Direct input and X-Input I'm actually a bit confused again with regards to the new PS4 Fighstick's compatibility with PC's (being a guy who admittedly still tends to think that if something can physically connect to something else, like with USB in this case, they should be able to work together).

MarkMan, or anyone else, please clarify the following points if possible:
- Can I use my PS4 Fightstick Alpha on a PC for SFV?
- Can I use it on a PC for older official games like USFIV?
- Can I use it on a PC for Mame emulation?
- Is there a software / driver update needed before the Alpha can work on PC or not (in any of the specific abovementioned circumstances if that makes a difference), and if there is, will Mad Catz provide it or does this come with Windows (updates)?

MarkMan, finally, if the anwers to the points above are generally "no", could you please clarify what the official tweet I quoted earlier is referring to ("@klabooe our PS4 sticks work with PC :)" ; Again, tweet found here: http://gameidealist.com/news/mad-ca...d-ps3-arcade-fightstick-tournament-edition-2/)?

I'm definitely not trying to harp on you, MarkMan, or anyone else, but am honestly trying to get my facts in order with regards to what I can expect from my Alpha on PC's. I really appreciate anyone taking the time to help clarify things, MarkMan especially.

Much like everything, it's about preference, but for some people it's easier to hit certain inputs (like quarter circles) with an octagon. I think generally though for some square is better for charge characters.

Personal preference of course.

I like having notches for all 8 directions and it helps a ton with my inputs. Others prefer square. In the US we're more used to octagonal as that's been more typical in arcades and past sticks. In other regions square is more typical.

Interesting points I was looking for this. I might consider switching over to an octagon and seeing how I feel about it. Glad switching out these parts seems to be relatively easy on the new sticks.

Good man, give it time. Think of it like learning a new instrument. What your brain is thinking your fingers might not follow right away. You'll want to quit and switch to pad after some losses I guarantee it. But just stick it out for a month or two and you will never go back :)

This is really good advice. Some of us are shelling out a lot of money and it's really important to remember stick with it. Pretty excited, I just got confirmation that amazon took the money out of my account. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Skilletor

MarkMan, or anyone else, please clarify the following points if possible:
- Can I use my PS4 Fightstick Alpha on a PC for SFV?
- Can I use it on a PC for older official games like USFIV?
- Can I use it on a PC for Mame emulation?
- Is there a software / driver update needed before the Alpha can work on PC or not, and if there is, will Mad Catz provide it or is it built in, in Windows?

\.

1. Not without some 3rd party software. However, Markman has said that they're looking at updating their sticks with x-input drivers, and Capcom will be putting out a d-input driver for SF5. No timeline for either, though.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Not sure, but shouldn't be. I'll have one tonight if nobody else answers and I can tell you then.

FSLink

Banned
Interesting points I was looking for this. I might consider switching over to an octagon and seeing how I feel about it. Glad switching out these parts seems to be relatively easy on the new sticks.

This is really good advice. Some of us are shelling out a lot of money and it's really important to remember stick with it. Pretty excited, I just got confirmation that amazon took the money out of my account. Can't wait for tomorrow!

I bought an octagon gate myself actually when I was learning stick for the first time. I sucked it up for a month using square gate (I've tried a friend's octagon gate prior) because I heard it was the standard, and I ended up giving the octagon gate away once my inputs became consistent.

I bought an octagon gate myself actually when I was learning stick for the first time. I sucked it up for a month using square gate (I've tried a friend's octagon gate prior) because I heard it was the standard, and I ended up giving the octagon gate away once my inputs became consistent.

So you never actually made the switch on your own personal stick and just kept pushing it with the square, interesting.

I've been using my old TE and I'm trying to slow everything down and focus on my inputs. I've seen some improvement but not enough to completely drop the conversation on what might be a better option.

Raitaro

1. Not without some 3rd party software. However, Markman has said that they're looking at updating their sticks with x-input drivers, and Capcom will be putting out a d-input driver for SF5. No timeline for either, though.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Not sure, but shouldn't be. I'll have one tonight if nobody else answers and I can tell you then.

Thank you very much; I'll be looking out for your follow-up as well.

Final question if I may: is the fact that USFIV or Mame do not require additional software to be compatible with the Alpha (in contrast to SFV) due to the X-input / direct input difference? How does this difference go again (per platform / game)? Cheers!

Skilletor

Thank you very much; I'll be looking out for your follow-up as well.

Final question if I may: is the fact that USFIV or Mame do not require additional software to be compatible with the Alpha (in contrast to SFV) due to the X-input / direct input difference? How does this difference go again (per platform / game)? Cheers!

Yes, that's exactly it. It's by game basis. Some games support both. I own a bunch of fighters on steam and the only ones that don't support d-input are KoF13 (even though kof2k2 and Kof98UM do, lol) and SF5.

2. Yes.
3. Yes.

By third party software, do you mean something like DS4 tools?

Peltz

As someone who grew up with happ controls, the square JLF really took time to get used to. But now I really love it.

Another thing people may want to try besides jumping to an octagonal gate is rotating the square gate so that the points are in the 4 cardinal directions.

Raitaro

Yes, that's exactly it. It's by game basis. Some games support both. I own a bunch of fighters on steam and the only ones that don't support d-input are KoF13 (even though kof2k2 and Kof98UM do, lol) and SF5.

Cheers for clearing that up as well. I guess we should have bugged Capcom some more about SFV not (initially) supporting direct input in that case then, especially if they won't end up adding it later (though they seem to be planning to, going by your earlier post).

Luigi87

As someone who grew up with happ controls, the square JLF really took time to get used to. But now I really love it.

Another thing people may want to try besides jumping to an octagonal gate is rotating the square gate so that the points are in the 4 cardinal directions.

Riding the gate aside, doesn't that make it incredibly difficult to hit corners?

DrDogg

I had more time with the Alpha (full review still coming), but I definitely feel you should mod it if you're planning to take fighting games seriously. When I switched over to Soul Calibur 5, where I need more precise button inputs, I noticed a big difference between Sanwa and the Alpha buttons.

For basic inputs and even things like plinking, it's fine. However, doing things like Yoshi's iMCF were significantly easier on Sanwa buttons compared to the Alpha stick.

So again, if this is your first stick or you're not really taking fighting games seriously, the Alpha is fine. If you're accustomed to Sanwa parts, you may have some issues. For SF the Alpha was fine, but as soon as I switched to SC5 I had some issues. Just depends on your execution needs.

Are there any TES+ reviews out there? I'm sure it's perfectly fine but the issues with the pads are making a little worried about MadCatz's general production quality.

I should hopefully have a TES+ review sometime this week.

Edzi

Estimated delivery on the te2+ still says tomorrow, but apparently amazon has it out for delivery today. Guess I'll be retiring my Hori stick sooner than I thought.

hort

Neo Member
Finally got my delivery estimate update yesterday. My TE2+ should shows that it should ship today and arrive tomorrow :D

Wanted to drop a little bit of hope for everyone waiting for a TE2+. I ordered one from Amazon.com on January 26th, and it totally looked like it was gonna get delayed. I even go a message this morning apologizing from Amazon about the delay, telling me it wouldn't arrive until the end of March. Then I got a second email saying it had actually shipped and would arrive by EOD tomorrow. So miracles do happen, I suppose.

vg260

I haven't received an update from fedex since Wednesday. The delivery estimate is tomorrow but I'm starting to get worried.

Same here. Fedex told me to give it til the end of the day today for it to update.

Dunno why it hasn't yet. Typically it does show progress.

Chucker

GameStop told me at earliest is be able to pick it up on Saturday if they got it. Figured I'd give them a ring to see if I could pick it up, since surely they'd have their stock for midnight tonight.
"Uh, I just opened our last box, I didn't see a stick in any of them."
Great. He told me to call back after 5 when his manager gets there.

fade_

They'll try to get it to me by tomorrow night. If I don't receive it by tomorrow night, all I have to do is give them a call and they'll refund 20% (~$45) off the purchase price...

We'll see what happens.

Nice, dont mind getting it a day late for $45 off. Kinda hoping they fuck up lol. Just checked mine and it still shows delivery date pending...

Koeta

So I have heard of a few ways to get these sticks to work on PC on day 1, but which is the best?

X360CE, JoyToKey, Xpadder?

cordy

Banned
Damn, MarkMan's no longer with MadCatz
Mark "MarkMan" Julio is no longer employed by Mad Catz. The parting became apparent when Julio changed his profile picture and account information on Twitter during the morning of Feb. 15, 2016.

IPLAYWINNER reached out to Julio who confirmed his departure. Julio did not have anything else to say on the matter at present but said he intends to make a full statement in the next several days.

Julio has, during his time at Mad Catz, become one of the ever-present figures in the fighting game community. His work in helping create the Tournament Edition line of sticks, as well as assisting with Team Mad Catz and coordinating events and streams, has changed the landscape of the FGC since the release of Street Fighter IV.

http://iplaywinner.com/news/2016/2/15/markman-and-mad-catz-part-ways.html

Raitaro

Damn, MarkMan's no longer with MadCatz

Just heard the news myself. This means his reply to my post above might have been the last one while on the job for Mad Catz :-(

MarkMan - thanks for your hard work on years of quality sticks and the best of luck with finding new employment if you have not found it already. Any company would be lucky to have such a passionate guy like you (whether they make fightsticks or not).

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
He posted a while back that he planned on leaving Mad Catz this year.

Resilient

Wanted to drop a little bit of hope for everyone waiting for a TE2+. I ordered one from Amazon.com on January 26th, and it totally looked like it was gonna get delayed. I even go a message this morning apologizing from Amazon about the delay, telling me it wouldn't arrive until the end of March. Then I got a second email saying it had actually shipped and would arrive by EOD tomorrow. So miracles do happen, I suppose.

I got plastic toy
Truly this be the work of God

Top Bottom