• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madcatz reveal Street Fighter V Arcade Sticks and Fight Pad

Amazon US just sent me an email confirming I will be getting my TE2+ on Tuesday! Ordered my stick Jan. 23, a few days before cutoff date note.

So excited!

Raitaro

^^^

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll report back in a day or two when I've had a chance to try some things out in training mode. Hopefully it's indeed my execution and not the Alpha stick itself. With Mad Catz' restructurings and problems I'm not even 100% sure I could get any sort of warrantee (except through Amazon, if they can get me a replacement still).

Naked Lunch

http://www.play-asia.com/fighting-commander-for-playstation-4-playstation-3/13/709efx

This is the one I've bought from Play Asia too. Seems like the rotating mechanism on the Fight Commander 4 can break and makes the pad useless. Some people said that you can glue the rotating mechanism and avoid issues.

I just bought the one without that "feature". Most reviews I've seen say that the pad is good, the most common criticism is that it's too light and it feels kinda hollow.
Thanks for the info on this. I was scared of buying that rotating one - glad to see they removed it. I needed a good Dpad for ps3 too for all my 2d games - the standard Dual Shock Dpad is un-useable to me.

A few things have changed from the left to the right.
for one the L3/R3 are now tiny little black letters on black buttons not white outlines, the case itself isn't smooth but has a textured finish, all the buttons on the top panel look worse on the right one ect. It's just I was expecting the left one, which to me looks much nicer.

Although before I bought it, I knew the left pic was a render with proper photoshop touches. But I also didn't expect the panel to be a textured finish. I'll hold back my thoughts on it until I have it in person to test out. But for now the textured finish looks lower-quality.

Keep in mind though, every real picture/video of this product has been taken by someone that doesn't understand lighting or just how to take good photos or just with a potato camera. The photo on the right is abysmal, the flash ruins everything lol and makes the stick look beige.

Here's another video with more footage:

Street Fighter V: Which FightStick is for you? Mad Catz interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lrFM4vSem4.

They look good.

^^^

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll report back in a day or two when I've had a chance to try some things out in training mode. Hopefully it's indeed my execution and not the Alpha stick itself. With Mad Catz' restructurings and problems I'm not even 100% sure I could get any sort of warrantee (except through Amazon, if they can get me a replacement still).

Check out the arcade stick basics from gootecks. It is a pretty decent video that should help you get more accustomed to stick use. It's better to learn the right way now then form bad habits. I don't have a link on hand at the moment but it is called the basics of using a fightstick. I am 99% sure it is not a stick issue.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Check out the arcade stick basics from gootecks. It is a pretty decent video that should help you get more accustomed to stick use. It's better to learn the right way now then form bad habits. I don't have a link on hand at the moment but it is called the basics of using a fightstick. I am 99% sure it is not a stick issue.

Yep. I found that very helpful.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXP0kc9Sry8

So predicament time.

I have the Mad Catz TE2 barely used, like BARELY (I know...total crime) and now have 2 of the TE2+ coming in. The second TE2+ was suppose to be for my younger brother but now hearing that the PS3 sticks work with SFV, he decided to pass.

Should I sell the second TE2+, or sell the TE2 and keep both TE2+? I'm thinking selling the TE2 makes more sense. Price isn't really an issue as I actually paid more for the TE2 then I did for the TE2+ due to amazon.ca pricing error.

So

Option A) TE2, and TE2+
Option B) TE2+ and TE2+

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'd probably sell the second TE2+, so Option A. You'll get more out of it, and you don't need the touch pad or l3/r3 on a second stick since that will presumably just be for others to use during local vs.?

Just having the one for the training shortcuts is enough.

I would probably sell the Te2 and keep the new ones

But you might be able to sell the Te2+ for a bit more

Honestly just throw ads up and sell whichever gets replies first

KAL2006

Banned
I don't know if I should buy a fight stick. Everytime I tired one I am terrible. I am an immediate level Street Fighter player and have been playing Street Fighter on a game pad since SF2 and do quite well. My win ratio in the Beta was about 60 percent.

Shall o just stick to pad as I seem to be good on it or is there are chance I can be better on stick but I just need to get over the awkward learning phase of using a stick instead of pad.

Duxxy3

I don't know if I should buy a fight stick. Everytime I tired one I am terrible. I am an immediate level Street Fighter player and have been playing Street Fighter on a game pad since SF2 and do quite well. My win ratio in the Beta was about 60 percent.

Shall o just stick to pad as I seem to be good on it or is there are chance I can be better on stick but I just need to get over the awkward learning phase of using a stick instead of pad.

Pads change from generation to generation. Sometimes you can use your old favorites, sometimes you can't.

Arcade sticks on the other hand... they're the same thing I remember when I first played SF2. They have become a universal input device for fighting games. From the arcade and all the way to the PS4.

Sticks are nice but if you are doing well on a pad there is no reason to go rush out and get one. There is a learning curve for most when transitioning from pad to stick. I think with how easy it is to do combos in this game and the fact that it isn't reliant on 1f links for big damage let's those on pad to not have to have top tier execution. I grew up with small arcades that actually had cabs and I had friends that had sticks I would use so I felt more comfortable on a stick vs pad with fighting games. It is a pretty big investment but you can always resell them on here or other places for a little loss of it doesn't work out.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
So you're telling me that a usb stick won't work on PC natively, for SFV or any other official or unofficial PC fighting game? Jeez, I honestly had not expected that. That does dampen my enthusiasm quite a bit to be honest, but maybe there will be a work around at some point. I supose it is due to drivers then? (I'll look up Markman's post as well.)

This is true for ALL native PS4 FightSticks/controllers.

The exception is the new Hori controllers that have a physical switch for x-input mode support.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'm really liking my shadaloo stick, looks fucking awesome and feels great.

I'm glad you got one and enjoy it.

People who are used to the TE-S or TE should probably take note that the newest iteration (completely redone tooling and better materials) is much more of a tank than ever.

Koeta

We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is:

"Mad Catz Street Fighter V Arcade FightStick TE2+ for PlayStation4 and PlayStation3"
Estimated arrival date: February 16, 2016
!

Ordered Jan. 24th Amazon.com

cordy

Banned
So I have a question.

I'm wondering about my TE2 stick. You know, the Chun Li one. Anyway, I've been playing on a pad since SF2T and I'm wondering something since I've randomly transitioned to a stick. For some reason, I jump randomly when I don't want to. For example, sometimes I do a Shoryuken and a jump comes out instead. I wonder if my stick's bad. Is there a way to check to see if I have a bad stick? Is there any way to reset or reroute anything?

Thanks in advance.

I'm glad you got one and enjoy it.

People who are used to the TE-S or TE should probably take note that the newest iteration (completely redone tooling and better materials) is much more of a tank than ever.

Did you guy get all new plastics for the sticks or just redo some of it? My OG TE still feels great to this day anything more tanky without increasing weight too much is more than welcome.

Koeta

So I have a question.

I'm wondering about my TE2+ stick. You know, the Chun Li one. Anyway, I've been playing on a pad since SF2T and I'm wondering something since I've randomly transitioned to a stick. For some reason, I jump randomly when I don't want to. For example, sometimes I do a Shoryuken and a jump comes out instead. I wonder if my stick's bad. Is there a way to check to see if I have a bad stick? Is there any way to reset or reroute anything?

Thanks in advance.

Chun Li is TE2 not TE2+ but have you gone in training with inputs displayed, and is this your first time using a stick?

They can take some getting used to I hear, or maybe it is a defect? hard to say :(

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Just canceled my order for the madcatz pad and ordered the Hori fighting commander instead. The Hori fighting commander standard without the rotating dpad has a PC compatible mode.

cordy

Banned
Chun Li is TE2 not TE2+ but have you gone in training with inputs displayed, and is this your first time using a stick?

They can take some getting used to I hear, or maybe it is a defect? hard to say :(

Thanks, edited my post.

And yes my first time using a stick. I've always been a pad player and even though I watch tourneys and such, just never felt like switching until now. I've gone into training mode but I'll go ahead and turn on inputs and see exactly what's going on a bit more. It is taking a while to get used to.

Thanks, edited my post.

And yes my first time using a stick. I've always been a pad player and even though I watch tourneys and such, just never felt like switching until now. I've gone into training mode but I'll go ahead and turn on inputs and see exactly what's going on a bit more. It is taking a while to get used to.

Is it auto jumping forward or is it a neutral jump (straight up)?

If you go too far above the Left or Right motion it could be causing it to register as a forward jump. Definitely check your inputs in the training mode !

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Sweet consider that ordered :). I got paranoid of the comments about the Fightpad Pro online and just cancelled my preorder. I really never heard anything bad about that version of the FC4.

I have a fighting commander 4 and got SFV early. The FC4 is a great fucking pad. Ive been using a six button to play fighters since genesis and sega saturn days and have no complaints about the pad. I will say this though If you can get the standard hori fighting commander not the FC4 then do so. The standard Hori fighting commander doesn't have a rotating dpad which hasn't been an issue for my FC4 but my cousin says his is stuck tilted and wont lock. The standard fighting commander also has the bonus of having a PC mode which the FC4 doesn't have.

What is the preferred pad to use at this point? Or is it too early to say?

EDIT:

I have a fighting commander 4 and got SFV early. The FC4 is a great fucking pad. Ive been using a six button to play fighters since genesis and sega saturn days and have no complaints about the pad. I will say this though If you can get the standard hori fighting commander not the FC4 then do so. The standard Hori fighting commander doesn't have a rotating dpad which hasn't been an issue for my FC4 but my cousin says his is stuck tilted and wont lock. The standard fighting commander also has the bonus of having a PC mode which the FC4 doesn't have.

I'll look into the FC4 then I guess. Is the rotating d-pad an issue at all?

Koeta

Thanks, edited my post.

Good chance it's just getting used to the stick, I'll start my training Tuesday :(
I used a stick before but not long enough to get any good with it, but now that I have a $230 one I'm going to have to put some real effort into this lol.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
What is the preferred pad to use at this point? Or is it too early to say?

EDIT:

I'll look into the FC4 then I guess. Is the rotating d-pad an issue at all?

It hasn't been a issue for me but it has for my cousin his dpad wont stay locked. I would say get one if you can. I just canceled my order for the Madcatz and ordered the standard hori fighting commander that lacks the rotating dpad just incase my dpad goes bad on the FC4 which I don't expect it to. I'm mainly getting the standard Hori fighting commander for its PC mode which the Madcatz and FC4 lack.

I dusted off my old PS3 SF4 tournament edition madcatz stick only to find that it doesn't work on my PC anymore. Heard some folks saying it was something about the stick not working with certain USB chipsets.

is there a cheap mod to fix my stick or am I gonna have to shell out for a new stick?

ElTopo

Banned
Mad Catz is still planning on updating the firmware to support X-input, correct?

That doesn't make much sense. The whole point of Xinput is that (1) pretty much every game ever made for PC will recognize the controller and (2) you don't need to download drivers. Xinput is a default drive for Win 7 and up. So now when or if Madcatz pushes out an update, you have to download that driver update, and drive updates can fail. So this seems like a needless pain in the ass for anyone playing on PC or planning to run a tournament on PC.

The latest Hori controller has Xinput available by default so it's surprising that Madcatz fumbled the ball so hard there. Not to mention the lack of turbo and the horrible D-Pad.

Koeta

vg260

That doesn't make much sense. The whole point of Xinput is that (1) pretty much every game ever made for PC will recognize the controller and (2) you don't need to download drivers. Xinput is a default drive for Win 7 and up. So now when or if Madcatz pushes out an update, you have to download that driver update, and drive updates can fail. So this seems like a needless pain in the ass for anyone playing on PC or planning to run a tournament on PC.

The latest Hori controller has Xinput available by default so it's surprising that Madcatz fumbled the ball so hard there. Not to mention the lack of turbo and the horrible D-Pad.

I'm not sure what you're saying. How is it a bad thing for the stick to support X-input as well with with an optional firmware update?

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I'm not sure what you're saying. How is it a bad thing for the stick to support X-input as well with with an optional firmware update?

I think hes saying it should have supported it out the gate like the cheaper Hori pad does. Its basically a no brainer to get a Hori Fighting Commander over the Madcatz pad at this point

Finaika

I think hes saying it should have supported it out the gate like the cheaper Hori pad does. Its basically a no brainer to get a Hori Fighting Commander over the Madcatz pad at this point

<3 Hori

cordy

Banned
Is it auto jumping forward or is it a neutral jump (straight up)?

If you go too far above the Left or Right motion it could be causing it to register as a forward jump. Definitely check your inputs in the training mode !

Good chance it's just getting used to the stick, I'll start my training Tuesday :(
I used a stick before but not long enough to get any good with it, but now that I have a $230 one I'm going to have to put some real effort into this lol.

Great, thanks for the tips and help. Just played USF4 just now and thus far I'm having no more issues, guess I just had to get used to the stick a bit and break it in.

Nice!

Great, thanks for the tips and help. Just played USF4 just now and thus far I'm having no more issues, guess I just had to get used to the stick a bit and break it in.

Nice!

Good man, give it time. Think of it like learning a new instrument. What your brain is thinking your fingers might not follow right away. You'll want to quit and switch to pad after some losses I guarantee it. But just stick it out for a month or two and you will never go back :)

MutFox

Banned
It does. Here is a good review of it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIHD1BFpntg

-------------------------------------------
Well, anyway, I got it covered. I already got the FG4 with rotating, and I ordered the non rotating one to have extra pad when friends come home. I will try the glue thing when I receive the other one, just in case ^^.

The sad thing is that both costed me only a few dollar more than a single Madcatz one.

I just ordered the non-rotating one... LOL
Though the rotating one will have to do until it arrives.

Friends can use the rotating one when they come over, so it's not a waste. :p

Top Bottom