• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madcatz reveal Street Fighter V Arcade Sticks and Fight Pad

Doosi

Banned
I got the Madcatz fightpad and my initial impressions is that it's surprisingly good :eek:

This is coming from a guy who hated the original fightpad and uses a Saturn pad for fighting games

I got the Madcatz fightpad and my initial impressions is that it's surprisingly good :eek:

This is coming from a guy who hated the original fightpad and uses a Saturn pad for fighting games

How are you doing three kick/punch input? Seems like it's impossible to physically press tree at once on the pad.

Greye

That's surprising. I've just put it back in the package to sent it back. I really want to like it though, but even on the DS4 my execution is better.

The D-pad just isn't working for me, it's so unresponsive. Going from crouch to jumping back is almost impossible to do in a split second for me. Can you elaborate on what you like about the pad especially?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
got my TES+ yesterday

feels great, and has a better form factor than my OG TE with it's slim sides

can't wait to get some plain art on it, though

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Noticed one of my buttons (L2) on my Chun Li TE2 has a crack in one of the snaps that hold it in place. Not major, as it stays in, just a little loose. Still ordered a replacement on amazon the other day since it was only $6 shipped. Should come in the mail today.

Raitaro

The PS4 sticks work on PC, right?

There are some good explanations quite a few pages back because I asked the same question.

In very short summary: for SFV currently you need software to use PS4 sticks (because this game does not support Direct input currently, only X-input), but for SFIV or Mame stuff, it will work on PC out of the box. Capcom is planning to provide said Direct input drivers later to have the PS4 sticks be compatible with SFV as well though.

Do look up the more elaborate explanations earlier in this thread (I'd say around page 20 or so) for a better explanation if you're interested. You can search by my name (I think?) and look at the people I quoted to help you find it.

Ikon

Damn, since my last gen sticks are out as an option I had decided to try and save some money by playing this game on my DS4.

I just can't do it, I struggle with even DP motions. Sigh, I don't feel like spending all that cash to buy yet another fucking TE (making #4 at around 1800NOK/$210 each).

BunkerStar

Neo Member
So I finally got my TE2+ from the MadCatz EU store.

Mini rant + review:

This is after battling with the totally... let's say "unprofessional" delivery guys of the company responsible for delivering the orders here in Finland (PostNord). I had to contact the company HQ after somehow wrangling the delivery company's name out of the POS drivers. Not getting any shipping information from MadCatz about my order did not help things either.

Anyway here it is and these were my first impressions:

First the bad:
- Buttons felt slightly too soft although I might have been just wrongly remembering how they were in my previous stick that I owned back in the SSF4 days.
- The top plate seems a little less durable than the old SSF4 stick I had. The plastic kinda squeaks and gives away if you press the top along the sides of the plate. Maybe this is because the TE2+ is more hollow(?) and the fact that you can open the top with the press of a button makes it less sturdy?
- Can't start my PS4 with the press of the PS-button on the stick? Huh?

Then the good:
- The stick feels great. It's responsive and (ahem) stiff.
- I'm sure the fact that you can open the top of the stick with the press of a button is heaven sent for modders.
- The foam pad on the bottom of the stick is sure to make the stick slide around less on tables and/or laps. The stick is pretty heavy and bulky so I'm sure you can smash and trash the stick and buttons in a heated match (not that you should) without having to worry about the whole thing flying off from your lap/table.
- The removable USB cable is a pretty cool thing and you can stash it inside the stick for easy transportation.
- I like the SFV graphic on the stick and the white buttons and joystick. In my opinion the TE2+ looks really good.

After playing for an hour or two, I started feeling those good vibes I got from my previous stick from 4 years back. I don't think you can go wrong with the TE2+ unless price is an issue for you or you simply dislike the look of the stick. And holy shit does SF5 feel more fun than SF4!

So all in all, it feels like a premium product with the best parts you can get, Sanwa (right?). Not sure if I would recommend friends to spend the additional 100 dollars or euros to get the TE2+ over the TES+, unless having easier modding capabilites or more bulkiness was important to them. I know for me it was worth it just for the better looks overall (a black on black TES+ looks pretty dull to my eyes). The TES+ is basically the same as all the other old TE-sticks, right? Don't think you can go wrong with that either.

Just my two cents on the topic. See you guys online.

Doosi

Banned
That's surprising. I've just put it back in the package to sent it back. I really want to like it though, but even on the DS4 my execution is better.

The D-pad just isn't working for me, it's so unresponsive. Going from crouch to jumping back is almost impossible to do in a split second for me. Can you elaborate on what you like about the pad especially?

I bought the Hori Fighting Commander 3 and 4, and I disliked them both. I found that the controllers felt cheap and uncomfortable. The new MadCatz is a noticeable upgrade from those pads, but is still not as good as the Saturn controller.

I did find that you had to "break" the d-pad in. I am not sure if it became more responsive with use or if I just got used to it, but it definitely felt better after prolonged use.

How are you doing three kick/punch input? Seems like it's impossible to physically press tree at once on the pad.

claw technique and I also map them to the shoulder buttons

masq

Neo Member
My Fightpad is in route (got the black one)
Tried the local Gamestops, but none had any.

Cant wait to try it out.
=)

iqubal

Banned
Any templates out for the TES+ yet? Probaby not as its just released, but can't wait to get some custom art on that shizz.

Any templates out for the TES+ yet? Probaby not as its just released, but can't wait to get some custom art on that shizz.

Search MarkMans post history, I believe he posted all the templates from the official madcatz website. If not they should be available on the MadCatz website somewhere, maybe a link in the user guide for your stick.

FHIZ

Got an email from Amazon that my TES+ that I ordered a week or two ago will be delivered Monday, rather than "April, probably."

Seems they got or found some more stock.

Koeta

Search MarkMans post history, I believe he posted all the templates from the official madcatz website. If not they should be available on the MadCatz website somewhere, maybe a link in the user guide for your stick.

Not sure if a TES+ template was made yet, I seen TE2+ posted which is same as TE2 I believe, but the TES+ changed the layout of the control panel so a new template will be needed.

Not sure if a TES+ template was made yet, I seen TE2+ posted which is same as TE2 I believe, but the TES+ changed the layout of the control panel so a new template will be needed.

I believe the TE2+ actually does have slightly different button placement, so a new template is going to be needed for the best results.

Dremark

Banned

TE2+ is the same as TE2, I used it with mine and it worked perfectly.

The stick itself is pretty nice. It feels really solid but it's about as easy to mod as it can be. The detachable cord is nice but I'd rather tuck it away.

I swapped the stock parts out for a Seimitsu LS-56 which I am really liking. I made the mistake of getting Seimitsu screw in buttons, one of them is too close to the stick mounting and can't properly screw in all the way. The buttons themselves are physically different than the snap in PS-14s and I don't like them as much so I'm just going to replace them.

Overall I'm very happy with the stick, it's not the most cost effective one on the market, but if you like the form factor and don't mind dropping the cash on it, it's a really nice stick. Although if you like the Sanwa parts that makes it a lot more cost effective.

Raitaro

so uh one of the buttons on my alpha is jamming already. if i press it in the top right corner it gets stuck. lol wtf

Don't know how experienced you are in using sticks, but have you noticed any lack of input sensitivity that might be due to the (literal) stick and not due to execution errors?

I'm still trying to find out if it's me or the stick when I fail to execute quarter circle inputs from the down to left position. The training mode is not showing any correct inputs to then fail doing the move, so the error occurs somewhere before the game has registered the inputs I think, like when I think I did the move correctly but the physical stick is not registering it properly(?).

I might try to turn the stick upside down later today to make sure it's not my execution on that side, which it still might be I admit. The problem is that I don't know anyone who is used to sticks who can test it as well, and that my last experience using one myself was on the Dreamcast with the official Sega stick (where I never had problems by the way, as far as I can remember at least). Otherwise I would have fully solved this matter by now.

if you got the alpha and find that it slides around a bit too much on your table...cabinet liner works wonders

Jeez. Even though this is a different problem, your sticking button actually does me make think that my own problem might be due to the stick after all and not my execution. Just curious: is there anything you can do about this yourself to fix it? I have no idea how easy it is to maintain sticks like these (after your warrantee has run out I mean).

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member

I agree, although I'm using the analog stick instead of the dpad (not because I have to, but I'm way better with the stick), but overall I do like the button placement and the style of it.

jon bones

took apart my TES+ to plug up the last 2 buttons and ended up with a stripped screw. fuckin a.

not sure how that happened, i'm usually pretty good about it. also think my stick might feel weird now for some reason, but that could be in my head.

i didn't realize how much a little more space helps when modding these things.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
FAO: Gentlemen in the UK.

I ordered a TES+ yesterday afternoon from Ballicom and it just arrived. I was hesitant to post the deal after ordering as I was unsure they were legit, however they came through.

The cost was under £140 including next day delivery. £20+ less than RRP.

Product link

Fake edit: This stick is beautiful, I was disappointed I couldn't find a TE2+ but as soon as I opened the box, I fell in love!

Ilmyr

got my TES+ yesterday

feels great, and has a better form factor than my OG TE with it's slim sides

can't wait to get some plain art on it, though

How is the top plate? Is it rock-solid?
I got a TE2 (chun-li), where the top plate bends and does a slight creaking sound if you put little pressure on it... annoying.
Would buy a TE S+, if i can't fix mine!

jon bones

How is the top plate? Is it rock-solid?
I got a TE2 (chun-li), where the top plate bends and does a slight creaking sound if you put little pressure on it... annoying.
Would buy a TE S+, if i can't fix mine!

yeah, the top plate is super solid

the construction is very high quality overall

Peltz

Creaking sounds bad... My SF4TE Round 2 stick feels super solid after all these years.

I hope the Ryu versions of the TE2 feel just as good. Mine should arrive today.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
$80 for this Alpha Stick is lunacy. I've used PS2 and DC sticks with superior build quality for less than this. It's like everything I wanted from SFV has turned into a sham! Can't really recommend it sadly.

ScOULaris

Creaking sounds bad... My SF4TE Round 2 stick feels super solid after all these years.

I hope the Ryu versions of the TE2 feel just as good. Mine should arrive today.

The TE2+ still creaks, just like all the old models. It's pretty shitty for such an expensive product.

Top Bottom