• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madcatz reveal Street Fighter V Arcade Sticks and Fight Pad

saelz8

For the PC players in here considering which fightpad to get, you might want to consider the standard Fighting Commander, which has X-Input. Link. It's newer than the FC4.

It's PS4, PS3 and PC (X-Input) compatible. You can switch between the 3 on the underside. It should run-around any compatibility issues.

JP

I'm currently using a PlayStation 3 Hori Fighting Commander 3 but I'm thinking of upgrading to a PlayStation 4 pad for convenience. I'm just not sure whether the official pad, PS4 Hori pad or maybe even the Mortal Kombat X pad is the way to go?

I know people here are really interested in the sticks but has anybody got experience with the different pads and can say which one they think is superior and why they think it is?

Thanks.

shaneskim

For the PC players in here considering which fightpad to get, you might want to consider the standard Fighting Commander, which has X-Input. Link. It's newer than the FC4.

It's PS4, PS3 and PC (X-Input) compatible. You can switch between the 3 on the underside. It should run-around any compatibility issues.

Great pad. Bargain from Play Asia to the UK.

Mine arrived today, it's brilliant.

"For licensed products in North America, the warranty is 90 days (due to license obligations with both Sony/Capcom).
In Europe, by law, the warranty period is 2 years.
So it depends where you are located but they'll probably try to take care of you regardless.

Ah nice find Dremark, thanks for this!

Yeah support outside of warranty period typically means incurred costs for the customer unfortunately.

Most of it seems pretty high quality I'd think it would be rare for the pcb or top panel buttons to break, but the point is the 90 day warranty on a $350 gaming device (in Canada) would make me think hard about the purchase. Would be neat to understand how licensing or business relations would restrict them from extending the warranty period on a premium product.

fauxtrot

Banned
Posted this in the SFV thread but it probably should have gone here instead.

So I have a two options regarding buying a PS4 stick, but I'm on the fence:

Option A - Buy the Chun Li TE2 stick from Fry's for MSRP and have it today.

Option B - Buy the TES+ stick from either Newegg or Madcatz and wait for it to be delivered in the mail.

I'd like to have the stick ASAP but it'll be about $30 more and the TE2 doesn't have the touchpad... which I can't see why I'd need. Do the + models have anything else that I may actually use that would make it worthwhile to wait? What would I even use the touchpad for?

Does the Chun TE2 function like the PS3 sticks where I have to do the Legacy thing with a Dual Shock controller? I don't want to buy one if that's the case.

JP

Aaaaggghh, the more I think about it, the more I want one of the arcade sticks.

Please bear in mind that I've not owned one before so these are going to be stupid questions but I don;t want to press the buy button until I know.
Was looking at this one, even though I'm not really keen on the transparent base.
SFV89480-TE2-ChunLi-PS4-005_lg.jpg

I really do prefer this one but I can't find them anywhere. Are they just sold out and will come back in stoke at some point or are they a limited run and gone now?

I'm assuming that these sticks are going to be fine with any other fighting game that I play as they are technically, generic controllers?

I don't necessarily need the Street Fighter V stick, is there any benefit in me buying one that;s branded with a different PS4 game? Are they going to be any cheaper now? Is there any difference in quality between the different game sticks??

I'm in the UK so if anybody knows a decent place to be getting which ever one is supposed to be good, I'd be happy if you could tell me. They have the Chun Li stick in stock on Amazon and I don;t really have any issues with buying that one but I do prefer the other model.

I really wish that I wasn't thinking about this now but I'm so tempted. :)

EDIT:
Also, am I an idiot for wanting one of these sticks when I'm no good at these games and have no interest in competing?

JP

Balls, I may have accidentally ordered one on Amazon which will accidentally be here on Sunday.

Anything I need to know when I first set it up? Anything that I should or shouldn't do?

Dremark

Banned
Ah nice find Dremark, thanks for this!

Yeah support outside of warranty period typically means incurred costs for the customer unfortunately.

Most of it seems pretty high quality I'd think it would be rare for the pcb or top panel buttons to break, but the point is the 90 day warranty on a $350 gaming device (in Canada) would make me think hard about the purchase. Would be neat to understand how licensing or business relations would restrict them from extending the warranty period on a premium product.

It seemed a little ambiguous as to whether or not they'd charge the customer so I figured I would quote it directly.

I have a PS3 TE stick and I know a lot of people who had PS3 ones and nobody ever had an issue with them aside from buttons eventually wearing out after months of heavy play. Hopefully you won't run into any issues with it.

I'd like to have the stick ASAP but it'll be about $30 more and the TE2 doesn't have the touchpad... which I can't see why I'd need. Do the + models have anything else that I may actually use that would make it worthwhile to wait? What would I even use the touchpad for?

Does the Chun TE2 function like the PS3 sticks where I have to do the Legacy thing with a Dual Shock controller? I don't want to buy one if that's the case.

It also has the L3 and R3 buttons on it. The touch screen is good in practice mode as it lets you reset to a certain part fo the screen if you turn the shortcut on and if you're going to play other fighting games there may be other things that are convenient to have. I went with the TE2+ but if you really like the Chun Li stick you're not going to miss out on major features, it may cause some minor annoyance though.

Also they are native PS4 sticks so you don't need to use the legacy stuff at all.

Aaaaggghh, the more I think about it, the more I want one of the arcade sticks.

Please bear in mind that I've not owned one before so these are going to be stupid questions but I don;t want to press the buy button until I know.
Was looking at this one, even though I'm not really keen on the transparent base.

I really do prefer this one but I can't find them anywhere. Are they just sold out and will come back in stoke at some point or are they a limited run and gone now?

I'm assuming that these sticks are going to be fine with any other fighting game that I play as they are technically, generic controllers?

I don't necessarily need the Street Fighter V stick, is there any benefit in me buying one that;s branded with a different PS4 game? Are they going to be any cheaper now? Is there any difference in quality between the different game sticks??

I'm in the UK so if anybody knows a decent place to be getting which ever one is supposed to be good, I'd be happy if you could tell me. They have the Chun Li stick in stock on Amazon and I don;t really have any issues with buying that one but I do prefer the other model.

I really wish that I wasn't thinking about this now but I'm so tempted. :)

EDIT:
Also, am I an idiot for wanting one of these sticks when I'm no good at these games and have no interest in competing?

You can use the SFV stick with pretty much any game that doesn;t require dual analogue stick control if you really want to although I don't think I'd break it out for anything other than a fighting game or a shooter (I still need to look into that new Darius game not that I think about it.

It doesn't really make much of a difference how good you are at the game, if you want to play on a stick and you're going to play this and/or otehr fighting games/shooters it's not a bad idea to get one if that's how you want to play the game, and honestly it's a lot more comfortable than using a pad for hours, those can take a toll on your thumb.

Anyway the Madcatz sticks are nice, if you want a stick I would definitely recommend them, but there are cheaper alternatives you might want to look into. The Venom stick is a lot cheaper but the parts are bad so you should probably swap them all out right away if you get it. Another good alternative the the HRAP which is about $50 dollars cheaper than the TES+ in USD and includes decent parts and a touch screen on it. The buttons seem to wear out faster than Sanwa or Seimitsu in my experiences though so those should probably be replaced a few months to a year down the line depending on how much you use it.

You can use the SFV stick with pretty much any game that doesn;t require dual analogue stick control if you really want to although I don't think I'd break it out for anything other than a fighting game or a shooter (I still need to look into that new Darius game not that I think about it.

I've been using it for the Arcade Archives games and am having a lot of fun with it. Really nice to have another use for it.

FHIZ

Is there a difference between the buttons used on the Alpha and TES+? I just got my TES+ (returning Alpha) and man do they feel better. The Alpha's buttons felt like they had a bit of resistance if I was pressing them from an angle, just slightly sticky. TES+'s buttons feel so much better, just way more clicky.

BadWolf

Received my TE2+ yesterday night and have been using it since, fantastic experience so far. I haven't seriously played on a stick in a long (long) time but got adjusted pretty quickly luckily.

Quality seems great, very happy with how it performs in gameplay. Digging the feel of the stick and buttons.

Do you guys leave it plugged in after finishing a session? It seems to stay on (various red lights are still lit) after the PS4 enters rest mode.

JP

No. It's plug and play.
Thanks.

It doesn't really make much of a difference how good you are at the game, if you want to play on a stick and you're going to play this and/or otehr fighting games/shooters it's not a bad idea to get one if that's how you want to play the game, and honestly it's a lot more comfortable than using a pad for hours, those can take a toll on your thumb.

Anyway the Madcatz sticks are nice, if you want a stick I would definitely recommend them, but there are cheaper alternatives you might want to look into. The Venom stick is a lot cheaper but the parts are bad so you should probably swap them all out right away if you get it. Another good alternative the the HRAP which is about $50 dollars cheaper than the TES+ in USD and includes decent parts and a touch screen on it. The buttons seem to wear out faster than Sanwa or Seimitsu in my experiences though so those should probably be replaced a few months to a year down the line depending on how much you use it.
Thanks, it's strange you mention that as I was thinking about playing Darius Burst on it while I was in work. It's a fantastic game. There are a few older style games that I'm thinking about now that may worth trying again with the stick.

This is going to be another potentially idiotic question for anybody who knows the answer. I know that it's a very customisable stick, you can change the image if you want to but other customisations do people do to it? It's not something that I'm even considering but what are the differences between the Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons?

I'm so excited about getting it tomorrow, going to find the arcade stick thread on here and read up about a few things.

I remember someone saying they bought a TES+ off MCZ's site the other day before SFV came out and got it in just a few days, but I don't see an option for that. When I go to TES+ section it only has a pre-order button and it takes me to Amazon.

Is there a difference between the buttons used on the Alpha and TES+? I just got my TES+ (returning Alpha) and man do they feel better. The Alpha's buttons felt like they had a bit of resistance if I was pressing them from an angle, just slightly sticky. TES+'s buttons feel so much better, just way more clicky.

Yes the TES+ uses higher quality parts. I think Sanwa

Good buttons and stick make a huge difference for sure.

Huggers

Received my TE2+ yesterday night and have been using it since, fantastic experience so far. I haven't seriously played on a stick in a long (long) time but got adjusted pretty quickly luckily.

Quality seems great, very happy with how it performs in gameplay. Digging the feel of the stick and buttons.

Do you guys leave it plugged in after finishing a session? It seems to stay on (various red lights are still lit) after the PS4 enters rest mode.

I leave mine plugged in. You can always change the settings on your PS4 to not power the USB ports when in standby mode.

So pleased with my TES2+. Fantastic stick. Just saw the price people are trying to get for them on Ebay too, craziness

BadWolf

I leave mine plugged in. You can always change the settings on your PS4 to not power the USB ports when in standby mode.

So pleased with my TES2+. Fantastic stick. Just saw the price people are trying to get for them on Ebay too, craziness

Thanks!

I'll do that then.

FHIZ

Yes the TES+ uses higher quality parts. I think Sanwa

Good buttons and stick make a huge difference for sure.

Oh, I thought MadCatz's thing was they just used sanwa in general. I have an old 360 stick that I put sanwa buttons in, but it's been so long I didn't immediately notice the difference when I first used the Alpha. Now though, man, it's near night and day.

Luigi87

Oh, I thought MadCatz's thing was they just used sanwa in general. I have an old 360 stick that I put sanwa buttons in, but it's been so long I didn't immediately notice the difference when I first used the Alpha. Now though, man, it's near night and day.

Only for their Tournament Edition series.
Their lower, entry-level, products use in-house parts.

Koeta

Yes, but it's fun lol, it takes some learning to use a stick, I'm still having some issues but I'm finding it more fun than a normal controller, it reminds me of the old Arcade days.

The real question is does the price bother you? there is other cheaper sticks you could get these are just the most moddable ones.

If you don't plan to change the artwork or the buttons (which are already arguably some of the best) you could save on a last gen stick, PS4 supports PS3 sticks and PC does via applications with real support for them down the road.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
the JLF on my brand new TES+ is squeaky already

ordered some shin etsu grease to fix it, but it really sucks

hopefully this grease fixes it or i'm gonna have words with Mad Catz. none of the other TEs i bought over the years have had any issues to date, so i'll give them the benefit of the doubt for mow.

Koeta

the JLF on my brand new TES+ is squeaky already

ordered some shin etsu grease to fix it, but it really sucks

hopefully this grease fixes it or i'm gonna have words with Mad Catz. none of the other TEs i bought over the years have had any issues to date, so i'll give them the benefit of the doubt for mow.

Funny enough mine has a squeak also now, not that it bothers me much, it still works fine.. but it does bother me a tiny bit lol.

fade_

Eh... so finally got home to try it. It doesn't creak during gameplay, but does creak slightly when moving it (e.g. picking it up and putting it down).

It's a good stick though. I'm happy with my purchase overall.

Is there no fix for the creak? Don't even notice it during gameplay but it is super annoying.

Going to get a te-s+ from a guy on Craigslist Monday. Excited as it will be nice to have a ps4 stick for when I play on there. That shadaloo artwork is tight.

Groof

Have had the TES+ since yesterday morning and I'm really liking it. Like the weight and heft it has. Shame it doesn't have a 3.5mm jack for headphones though.

But sign me up on the people that have the squeak. Not too annoying at the moment

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Funny enough mine has a squeak also now, not that it bothers me much, it still works fine.. but it does bother me a tiny bit lol.

Have had the TES+ since yesterday morning and I'm really liking it. Like the weight and heft it has. Shame it doesn't have a 3.5mm jack for headphones though.

But sign me up on the people that have the squeak. Not too annoying at the moment

well shit, looks like this is an issue

i will let you know how i fare with the grease - i've seen a bunch of posts online that say a squeaky jlf is most likely just in need of some lube

RedAssedApe

Banned
So what's the consensus on the Alpha? Any other worthy entry level sticks to consider?

i had positive impressions at first. its ok if you play on a table. might slight around a bit but i thought it was comfortable enough. not good for lap play as its too light so it'll move around. also its not very wide so you have to adjust how you sit for it to be comfortable resting on your legs. stick and buttons were alright. i haven't touched a TE stick since SSF4 AE though so they might be awful in comparison to actual sanwa.

deal breaker for me was when one of the buttons started getting stuck on day two. unlike the TE you can't open it up easily and doing so invalidates the warranty as the last screw is underneath the sticker.

long story short. i returned it. if you're looking for a cheaper alternative, you could probably buy older used TE stick or go for the Hori HRAP4 if you want something new. i picked up the latter after returning my alpha. it feels sturdy and well built, buttons are better, and sits comfortably on my lap. pretty satisfied with my purchase so far. wished i had jumped on sooner when it was $99 on Frys. $150 aint bad though...

Manac0r

How big of an improvement is the TE2+ stick for SFV over the old TE stick for SF IV (360)?

I play on PS4 and PC and use a Cronos Max to get the stick working on PS4. Apart from superficial things like touchpad, clips for straps is there anything else goj g on under the hood? I have a TE2+ stick on order but considering my old stick is still going strong.... Any inputs?

Resilient

don't bother; the upgrade is basically, you can flip the hood, touchpad, and L3/R3. apart from that, the old TE is still a great stick. if you have money to spend, get it, but if not there really isn't a point.

paolo11

How big of an improvement is the TE2+ stick for SFV over the old TE stick for SF IV (360)?

I play on PS4 and PC and use a Cronos Max to get the stick working on PS4. Apart from superficial things like touchpad, clips for straps is there anything else goj g on under the hood? I have a TE2+ stick on order but considering my old stick is still going strong.... Any inputs?

I'll buy TE2 +. It's a premium product.

Groof

well shit, looks like this is an issue

i will let you know how i fare with the grease - i've seen a bunch of posts online that say a squeaky jlf is most likely just in need of some lube

please do. while the squeakiness isn't constant for me, if it gets worse in the future something needs to be done.

Pics_nao

I've been hearing that the pads are complete ass. Anyone got any recommendations for one? I've been eyeing the fighting commander but it'll take too long to be delivered from Amazon and PlayAsia. The latest one looks uncomfortable and has a rotating dpad which is rather not deal with.

Orcastar

Damn, just got the e-mail that the TE2+ I ordered last week is waiting for pickup. Still kinda undecided if I should actually buy it... My round 1 PS3 TE no longer works on PC but has been working fine in SFV for PS4 (if there's any lag I'm not noticing it).

Top Bottom